"Official Sony STR DN840" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 126 Old 06-29-2013, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can't find an "Official Sony STR DN840" forum. How does one get started?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 Old 06-29-2013, 04:44 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Start what .... the thread or how to setup the unit itself as you just started the Owner's thread? If you have already purchased the unit, post your thoughts on it or post your question. Also review the Owner's manual for assistance.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 126 Old 06-29-2013, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Start what .... the thread or how to setup the unit itself as you just started the Owner's thread? If you have already purchased the unit, post your thoughts on it or post your question. Also review the Owner's manual for assistance.

Sorry--I meant starting the thread.
post #4 of 126 Old 06-29-2013, 04:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Then as I said ... you've already started a thread to focus on this particular model ... so do some research on the model and post what you learn in this thread so others can learn from the information to include a link to the unit's web page on Sony's website. smile.gif Then if you end up purchasing the unit, post your thoughts on setup and your impression of its capabilities and post any questions you might have regarding setup or troubleshooting an issue that other owners might be able to answer for you. Set out some beer and chips and others will join in. biggrin.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 126 Old 06-29-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

I've just purchased the new Sony STR DN840 to replace my Denon 1613. First impressions: easy initial setup; sound not quite as rich as the Denon, but better on BD dialogue. I'm still waiting to see if its network connections are more robust then Denon's. An initial negative is that it appears the TV needs to be on to run various functions. I'm looking forward to hearing from others who have or might be considering buying this unit.

Sony STR DN840 Webpage

Quick Setup Guide
post #6 of 126 Old 06-29-2013, 05:15 PM

Liked: 10
rkolk I'd love to hear more about your experience! What is the rest of your setup like?
post #7 of 126 Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk226 View Post

rkolk I'd love to hear more about your experience! What is the rest of your setup like?

I have the receiver hooked up to a Sony 4K XBR65HX900A. The speakers are a mix of 2 ancient JBLs, a Polk subwoofer, and Infinity center and surround speakers. Quite a hybrid, but it works well.
post #8 of 126 Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 AM

I've been upgrading almost all of my A/V gear this year and so far it's been mostly positive (it's not without a few growing pains, but I digress...) And I just got this receiver to pair with a new set of entry-level 5.1 speakers. Since my TV is in between working for a split second and not working at all, I haven't been able to take advantage of most of the new features or options. But blindly playing CDs through my PS3 sound great, even as the speakers have yet to fully break-in. Leagues better than my HTIB solution with puny aluminum speaker wires. Glad to know it can only start to sound better from here on out. I still miss the nice low mids of floorstanding speakers but for the forseeable future, I'm pretty happy.
post #9 of 126 Old 09-08-2013, 07:43 AM

I have my PS3 plugged into the BD HDMI port. Movies work great but when I play games (or even the menu screen of the PS3) all sounds don't come through. Some come through the subwoofer and others from the front speakers, but not all the audio is being heard. Do I need to use an optical audio too? If I put the optical from the PS3 to the TV optical port will that work?
post #10 of 126 Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 PM

Replaced my failing Onkyo TX-SR606 with this unit over the weekend. Happy thus far.
post #11 of 126 Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 AM

rkolk:
Can you share your experience over the GUI (user interface displayed on the TV) while accessing the menu?
Is it user friendly?
Is it simple to use?
Do you find the settings your looking for easily?
Can you see the volume displayed on the TV whilst watching a Blu-Ray?

I'm asking all of this since the STR-DN1040 has (apparently) a wonderful GUI.

Thanks
post #12 of 126 Old 09-19-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storky View Post

rkolk:
Can you share your experience over the GUI (user interface displayed on the TV) while accessing the menu?
Is it user friendly?
Is it simple to use?
Do you find the settings your looking for easily?
Can you see the volume displayed on the TV whilst watching a Blu-Ray?

I'm asking all of this since the STR-DN1040 has (apparently) a wonderful GUI.

Thanks

I just purchased the received to replace my Yamaha HTR-6090. Some of the modern elements are awesome! I love the bluetooth, wifi and USB port in the front for Ipod.

User interface is much less advanced from what I hear than the 840's bigger brother 1040. It's all B&W with scrolling (up/down arrows) selectors for alphabet/numbers/symbols. It can be a little tricky to add to wif network but it's easy if jacked in to network directly. The visuals are a bit lacking when controlling audio with bluetooth device and/or Ipod; but who needs pretty graphics when you're just listening to music with a nice tablet for a remote. I usually keep TV off when controlling in these inputs.

It is simple to use thus far. It will take some getting used to but the on-screen volume is nice on all inputs. Input switching is much faster than my Yamaha and the IR sensor is actually visible for my IR Blaster and universal remote (Yamaha never worked with IR blaster). I think you can control which inputs you want to see volume display on screen and which you don't.

I went with the 840 instead of the 1040 because of budget and because I didn't feel that you really got that much more for $150 with the 1040.
post #13 of 126 Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 AM

Can you tell us more about what app (iPhone or iPad) you are using to control the STR-DN840?
Thanks
post #14 of 126 Old 09-20-2013, 10:47 AM

The GUI is pretty lean but a bit confusingly worded, so it takes a couple visits to remember where things are located. You can access all of it thru the receiver's front LCD panel but it's easier to navigate when the whole thing is thrown onto your television. That said, if you like to use your receiver with the TV off (that way there's no chance of the receiver shutting off if your TV set auto shuts off), you can just hit the bluetooth button on the remote and it will sync to your iPod/Phone automatically after the initial pairing without having to go into the onscreen menu. This is one of my favorite features. One thing that was weird was the update over network functionality. There was no update but the whole receiver started acting weird and wouldn't respond all night. That could be the wifi issue someone else mentioned coming back to suck some more.
post #15 of 126 Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Anyone have issues connecting the STR DN840 to a Samsung F8000 TV. I keep losing the HDMI output from the Sony receiver when the units get powered off and powered back on. Only fix is to unplug the Samsung F8000 and disconnect reconnect the HDMI cable between the devices. Seems like off handshake issue.
post #16 of 126 Old 09-26-2013, 07:47 AM

Hello all...

First time poster here !

Since many people here knows a lot in the avr field i'd like your opinions about this:

I just ordered a pair of Yamaha NS-555 floorstanders and their matching center NS-C444. (later thinking of buying a pair of small satelites).

I'm thinking of buying the str-dn840 which claims to be 2x95W (6 ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, THD 0.09%)

Since the NS-555 speakers have 4 drivers and not that high sensitivity of 88dB/2.83 V/1m (6 ohm) and input power nominal/maximum of 100/250W, will the dn840 be able to drive them properly (especialy when i complete the 5.0 spekear set)

The room is about 25 sqm.

Thanks in advance for your time and reply.

post #17 of 126 Old 09-26-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgershon View Post

Anyone have issues connecting the STR DN840 to a Samsung F8000 TV. I keep losing the HDMI output from the Sony receiver when the units get powered off and powered back on. Only fix is to unplug the Samsung F8000 and disconnect reconnect the HDMI cable between the devices. Seems like off handshake issue.

I'm having a similar issue. It started off where I had to turn on my cable box and tv first, and then power on the receiver to get everything to work. I had a brown out and I'm experiencing all sorts of issues. My HDMI1 port on my TV doesn't work all of the time, so I plug everything in to the HDMI3 port on the TV and everything works. This morning my HDMI3 port won't work on my TV and now the HDMI1 does. I have a Samsung UN60F8000BFXZA

I have no idea if it's the receiver or the TV or a combination.
post #18 of 126 Old 09-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Hi Ronin,

I'm considering an upgrade from the TX-SR606 that allows 3D pass through and is ARC capable for my HT setup. How have you liked the Sony DN840 over the past few weeks? Is the difference noticeable and worth the money? If your old receiver hadn't kicked the bucket would you still consider it a worthwhile purchase? It's at the same price point that the TX-SR606 was at about 3-4 years ago, so I'm curious about if this is an upgrade, or more of a lateral move with some newer functionality thrown in. Any help is very appreciated.

post #19 of 126 Old 10-05-2013, 02:17 AM

Just picked one of these up to replace my Pioneer VSX-1021 that took a crap on me after two years.
post #20 of 126 Old 10-21-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1593 View Post

I'm having a similar issue. It started off where I had to turn on my cable box and tv first, and then power on the receiver to get everything to work. I had a brown out and I'm experiencing all sorts of issues. My HDMI1 port on my TV doesn't work all of the time, so I plug everything in to the HDMI3 port on the TV and everything works. This morning my HDMI3 port won't work on my TV and now the HDMI1 does. I have a Samsung UN60F8000BFXZA

I have no idea if it's the receiver or the TV or a combination.

I'm running into this same issue, with a UN65F8000. Any ideas on how to fix it?
post #21 of 126 Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 AM

I just added a UN65F8000 and ST DN840 and had a similar problem. In my case a I an old HDMI cable which I replaced and it fixed the issue.
post #22 of 126 Old 11-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Hi,

I have a new dn840 hooked up to my tv.  I was using an old set of JBL 135SAT speakers with sub.  But I realized I had 2 old mission speakers that I could use for the fronts and that would allow me to run 7.1.  

When I calibrated the system with the new fronts it set them to Large.  Which I guess is proper since they are speakers for a stereo and they never needed a sub.  But now, I have Fronts set to large and everything else set to small.   Should I force the fronts to be small?  Not sure what the impact of this type of setup is?

Thanks for any advice.

post #23 of 126 Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 PM

well I was premature in my diagnosis. The problem is with the Samsung ARC port (HDMI 3) Don't use the ARC port and you will be fine. I worked with L2 Samsung support on this issue and they sent it up to development. The L2 guy didn't sound confident he would get an answer but said he would ping me in a week no matter what.
post #24 of 126 Old 11-09-2013, 07:30 PM

Anyone know how to save Vtuner stations as favorites???
I know if you want to save a Vtuner station you need to hit the Shift and Memory on the Control button on the remote.
And then save the station....
But it seems that it Does NOT save your stations as Favorites but save them as Recently listened too stations.
How would I save the stations as Favorites.Thanks JT
post #25 of 126 Old 11-10-2013, 08:01 AM

Just found out the correct way to save the Vtuner stations,,,,,,,,Took me awhile lol........JT
post #26 of 126 Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 PM

I notice that has 2 preamp outputs for subwoofers. Can you control each sub separately with this receiver or do they have to be calibrated the same?
post #27 of 126 Old 11-13-2013, 12:57 PM

Hi,

I'm having horrible HDMI Audio Sync issues, and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this, and if there's any help you can offer.

I have the STR-DN840 and a Panasonic Viera TC-L47E50 TV.

I don't have cable or FIOS TV or anything. I have an antennae in the attic and its cable runs into the back of the TV. I have an HDMI cable running from the ARC HDMI jack on the TV into the TV input on the receiver. So this should be using ARC, and all should be swell, right? Wrong.

TV audio is usually completely out of sync, and neither the auto or manual sync settings on the receiver help. If I shut the TV off with the receiver still on (had to shut off some "auto on/off" features), and then turn the TV back on, SOMETIMES it fixes it. I use the Amazon and Netflix apps on the Viera TV, and they often suffer the same effects. Also, it seems like sometimes certain channels are out of sync while others are okay — FOX was crummy the other night, but PBS was fine. Makes me wonder about OTA HD broadcast.

Watching from my SONY Blu-Ray player or my Gen 1 Apple TV, everything is fine. I feel like its because they all go through the receiver first, unlike the TV/ARC setup.

I imagine if I had cable or FIOS tv and everything went into the receiver first, I wouldn't have this problem. But I don't want to subscribe to cable/FIOS TV just to get the audio to sync properly.

Any ideas? I could just watch Amazon or Netflix through the BluRay, but the apps on the TV are superior from a usability POV.
post #28 of 126 Old 11-15-2013, 04:32 PM

hey guys, i currently have the str-dn1030. im thinking of getting the dn840. simply cause its free lol

besides 4K hdmi pass through, any other benefits of the 840 from the 1030? its too bad the 840 doesnt have the GUI of the 1040.
post #29 of 126 Old 11-19-2013, 03:48 AM

I am an AV noob of noobs, and this question may make some of you guffaw and giggle like schoolgirls, but here goes...

I'm considering moving into the 21st century and buying my first receiver in like 20 years. I may sound old, but I'm only 44, however things sure have changed since I bought my last one.

Anyway, the STR DN840 has caught my eye due to the price and streaming capability (AirPlay, Internet Radio etc.). It'd be hooked up to the TV, PS3 and CD player etc. (possibly a turntable with standalone phono amp at some point in the future).

At this point all I can really afford in the world of speakers are a pair of stereo speakers. For that matter I don't need all those cables and speakers, not at the moment anyway. 2.0 Stereo, and maybe a subwoofer at some point, is all I need.

In the manual https://docs.sony.com/release/STRDN840.pdf , it says that in order to use just 2 speakers, it should be connected to bi-amped speakers, but at this point I have just old school speakers with one single positive and negative connectors each.

Do I need to get new speakers for my entry into the 21st Century?

Is there a comparable amp/receiver with as many HDMI inputs as well as streaming capability that caters to the two-speaker crowd? I'm lost.

Help. :-o
post #30 of 126 Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 PM

From what I've learned bi-amping is not a necessity. You can plug your two speakers right in to the front R/L channels in the amp and it'll work fine. I just got my first pair of bi-amp speakers and will be splitting the hi/lo frequency this week. We'll see if it makes a difference!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn840
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page