Onkyo TX-SR500 with LG 47CS570 TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ieee488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I inherited my father's Onkyo TS-SR500. It has two digital optical inputs. I have a LG 47CS570 TV with one digital audio out. I also have a Panasonic Blu-ray player.

I am having a brain freeze with knowing how to connect up these three so that sound goes to the Onkyo TX-SR500.

TV -- (optical cable) --> Onkyo
Blu-ray -- (RF audio cables) --> Onkyo
?

If so, do I just buy any Toslink cable of desired length?

ieee488 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
To play audio from the blu-ray player (there is no HDMI) connect the player to the optical or coax inputs on the AVR. To play TV audio through the AVR you can connect your sat/cable box via optical or coax to the AVR. Alternatively you could also connect the L/R stereo output from the sat/cable box to the AVR via one of the video inputs or the DVD input.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ieee488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks.

One other question. Do have to specifically turn off the audio portion of the HDMI when I am playing a Blu-ray?
I have the Blu-ray player connected to the TV via HDMI.
ieee488 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
myoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post

I inherited my father's Onkyo TS-SR500. It has two digital optical inputs. I have a LG 47CS570 TV with one digital audio out. I also have a Panasonic Blu-ray player.

I am having a brain freeze with knowing how to connect up these three so that sound goes to the Onkyo TX-SR500.

TV -- (optical cable) --> Onkyo
Blu-ray -- (RF audio cables) --> Onkyo
?

If so, do I just buy any Toslink cable of desired length?

TV Out optical cable to Onkyo optical in 1 - this usually works with over the air TV audio. What is your source?
Blu-ray - HDMI out to HDMI input on LG - optical out of Blu-ray to Onkyo optical in 2
myoda is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Most DVD and blu-ray players output HDMI and optical/coax and L/R stereo simultaneously. If if doesn't you'll need to go into the audio setup and specify which one you are using. Or you can try running an optical cable from the TV to the AVR. Depending on whether the TV outputs the signal in stereo or a 5 channel signal you'll get stereo or surround sound. Not all TVs output the optical signal in surround mode. Experiment to see which sounds best to you. Or easiest.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ieee488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Most DVD and blu-ray players output HDMI and optical/coax and L/R stereo simultaneously. If if doesn't you'll need to go into the audio setup and specify which one you are using. Or you can try running an optical cable from the TV to the AVR. Depending on whether the TV outputs the signal in stereo or a 5 channel signal you'll get stereo or surround sound. Not all TVs output the optical signal in surround mode. Experiment to see which sounds best to you. Or easiest.
I want to make sure I don't have sound coming out of the TV's speakers *and* the AVR.
I will just have to experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

TV Out optical cable to Onkyo optical in 1 - this usually works with over the air TV audio. What is your source?
Blu-ray - HDMI out to HDMI input on LG - optical out of Blu-ray to Onkyo optical in 2
My source is cable TV. I have basic cable so I am going straight from the wall to the TV, no cable box.



With the replies, it looks like I need to purchase two 6' Toslink cables.

I also have a DVD recorder which has a digital coax output which I will connect to the AVR's digital coax input.
I just need to find the digital coax cable that my father was using.
ieee488 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
You can use any RCA cable for connecting coax ports.

Your TV should have an option in setup to turn off the internal speakers.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ieee488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like I am good to go.

Thanks everyone.
ieee488 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr500 A V Receiver , Lg 47lh90
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off