What is the simpliest way of measuring the load on your electrical circuit? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I have quite a bit all plugged into a single electrical circuit and would like to go about measuring this load to see if I should add a second circuit.

I know that you can setup a ground loop hum by putting things on different circuits so I'm wanting to be careful to avoid doing that.

Is there a preferred method of splitting up your components and putting them on different circuits?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Try one of the kill-a-watt products:

You can buy them at Amazon or any number of other places.

Be aware that if you want to measure the entire circuit you may have to check consumption of other things beside the gear plugged into a single receptacle. If you have lighting or other outlets on the circuit those will need to be considered as well.

For a cheap solution you could always turn off all of the other breakers in your house and then watch your electric meter. But I'm not sure that qualifies as simple.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Thanks Walter,

This one looks interesting. http://www.p3international.com/products/p4330.html

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.