Best receiver for martinlogan electromotion speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Logan92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just curious to get some opinions on what the best receiver (5.1 through 7.2 is fine) would be for these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M8S12A/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0KPHMWSZ62PMJG3MSZ2F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846


Trying to spend a little less on the receiver if possible.

Thanks.

Setup:
- Bowers & Wilkins 685, HTMC62B Speakers, ASW61 Sub -
- Denon 1713 Receiver -
- Panamax MR5100 -
- Samsung PN51F8500 -
Logan92 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
|Tch0rT|'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lower mid Michigan
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You should state your budget.

MartinLogan ESL's can be hard on amps but the newer ones like the EM ESL's aren't as brutal as the older models. That being said I personally prefer Denon and Marantz. Yamaha Aventage receivers are supposed to be 2ohm stereo stable and that would probably work well with ML ESL's crazy impedance swings. There's also a refurb Sherwood Newcastle R-972 at Accessories4Less I'd checkout but I can't vouch for it or it's amp section. I used the amps in my old school Marantz SR7200 for a while before adding a separate Marantz MM9000 amp. They worked well on receiver power however they are power hungry so the more power you can get the better.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

|Tch0rT| is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Senior Member
 
yaomizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would look into the pioneers with their d3 amps


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yaomizzle is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Logan92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

You should state your budget.

MartinLogan ESL's can be hard on amps but the newer ones like the EM ESL's aren't as brutal as the older models. That being said I personally prefer Denon and Marantz. Yamaha Aventage receivers are supposed to be 2ohm stereo stable and that would probably work well with ML ESL's crazy impedance swings. There's also a refurb Sherwood Newcastle R-972 at Accessories4Less I'd checkout but I can't vouch for it or it's amp section. I used the amps in my old school Marantz SR7200 for a while before adding a separate Marantz MM9000 amp. They worked well on receiver power however they are power hungry so the more power you can get the better.

I have to get the receiver from Best Buy (work there), and price wise i'm not looking to spend over $800 really for retail price.

How would the Denon AVRX-2000 or Denon AVRX-3000 work?

Setup:
- Bowers & Wilkins 685, HTMC62B Speakers, ASW61 Sub -
- Denon 1713 Receiver -
- Panamax MR5100 -
- Samsung PN51F8500 -
Logan92 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,227
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan92 View Post

Just curious to get some opinions on what the best receiver (5.1 through 7.2 is fine) would be for these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M8S12A/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0KPHMWSZ62PMJG3MSZ2F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Trying to spend a little less on the receiver if possible.

The best receiver would be one with Audyssey XT32 - there are a number of Denons to choose from.

I just set up a system with a Denon 1913 and am pleased with the results, so let's say that it or some other Denon with plain old Audyssey Multieq would be your "a little less" choice.

I am not as comfortable with your choice of speaker as others who are posting on this thread. I have yet to see a Martin Logan ESL impedance curve that is not IMO insane and incompetent.
arnyk is online now  
post #6 of 8 Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
|Tch0rT|'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lower mid Michigan
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
According to some people over at MartinLogan Owners forum and ML themselves Audyssey is very finicky with ESL's and tend to make them sound like poo. They do have an Audyssey guide for ESL's on that forum though. I can't vouch for that but it's one of my concerns when I upgrade my ancient Marantz SR7200.

To the OP, ah you work at BB? If I were you and were limited to their selection I'd get the highest end Denon they carry that I could afford.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

|Tch0rT| is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Newbie
 
JoeB4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So as a Best Buy employee and a Geek Squad HT installer I thought I'd makes some recommendations that may intrigue you. I'm assuming you're fully aware of the Denon and Yamaha accommodations. From my personal experience installing dozens of receivers from both brands I'd lean toward the Denon. Between the AVR-X2000 and AVR-X3000 I would go with the AVR-X3000 for the little price difference.
JoeB4ever is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-13-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaomizzle View Post

I would look into the pioneers with their d3 amps


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Same here I have yet to find an instalation where their D3 amps have been strained although I was expecting it a time or two my hat is off to the engineering team that designed them.
oztech is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off