Yamaha RX-A820 A/V Receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the Yamaha RX-A820 A/V Receiver HDMI have pass-through so that even with the receiver off the HDMI signal will pass to the TV? My TV is connected to a settop box via HDMI. Sometimes I want to be able to watch TV via HDMI without the Yamaha receiver on, it's not necessary to have the receiver on when watching the news or other programs that really doesn't require Dolby Digital sound. So far I have it hooked up using an HDMI signal splitter from the cable box to the tv and one to the receiver. I notice some picture quality loss via this splitter it's not a sharp as when not using the splitter. I tried going through the receiver without the splitter but I got nothing with the receiver off. I may have missed some setting I was supposed to make that's why I'm posting this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-04-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Issue solved. There is an option for HDMI pass-through in the HDMI control menu.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Ace how are you enjoying the 820? I've had mine hooked up for a week tomorrow and I think it's a keeper. It may just be in my head but I swear the video quality looks sharper than it did with the RX-V671 I was using before.
Someone needs to start an owners thread.
dean l likes this.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-05-2013, 01:18 AM

Liked: 17
Owned mine for 5+ months and love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

Agreed!
post #5 of 10 Old 07-05-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

The RX-773 thread is the RX-A820 owner's thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449409/the-official-yamaha-rx-v773-thread

post #6 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
My 800 series started shutting down after a few minutes for no obvious reason. Rather than try to deal with repairs, when there's so many horror stories, I ordered a B stock A820 from a (supposedly) reputable dealer (who is otherwise not an authorized online dealer, so not sure there's any implied warranty.) Beverly Hills Electronics is the dealer.

I have bought another B stock from a brick and mortar dealer before off ebay, and that deal went well.

I paid what I thought was the market rate for it.

Anyway, just wondering how people liked their A820. I realize I already bought it, but they claim I can return if not satisfied. I would assume it's not too different than my 867

One thing I am curious about is the internet radio. Does Pandora work well on the A820?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #7 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I've got the A720, and Pandora works like a charm. It's my primary source of music. I control it all from my iPhone, or iPad, using Yamaha's excellent remote app.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Pandora works great on my 820 as well.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Got my RX-A820. B stock.

Setup is typical Yamaha. It told me I had a phase issue. I had seen that error on some past receivers, and checking showed no issue. In this case, I had made a mistake. Yay for Yamaha in this case.

Remote is not particularly well designed. As I get older, I wish they found a way to reduce the mess of buttons on these things. It's not awful, but it's not great.

I can think of a number of ways to simplify the remote. Reduce the buttons needed to select sound modes, most of which are pointless.

Also, why make it so hard to find the setup button? Why call it on screen? Why have the left up/down buttons be 'program' which change the sound mode? That's dumb as it's easy to hit that rather than the adjacent volume. They don't think about these things, but they SHOULD (any competent user could point out control deficiencies in minutes of use.)

Back panel seemed well organized. I managed to hook up stuff without looking at a manual, with substandard eye-sight and lighting. I do wish they would better label the outputs. I mean, most people just need to hook up a subwoofer, and it was hard to see that input.

As always, I suggest buying banana plugs to simplify speaker hook up.

Pandora works great. Long may it live. Did not trying anything else, as Pandora meets my limited music needs. All I want is cleaning music, and background music, and wake up in the morning music.

Display is very easy to read (at least those things that normally matter.)

People will ask about sound of course. Sounds perfect to me. When you test the sound, make sure you use a high quality source. Don't test it with compressed music, unless it's transparently compressed. Anyway, sounds fine, as expected. Hard to tell how much power it has. I would say, more than I could use without getting evicted from my apartment smile.gif

I think, if bought on sale, and you want the following options, this is a decent receiver -
* Pandora
* Higher power than those stripped down budget models ( I am not supposed to say what I paid, but I think many people would welcome the big step up from those budget models for the price difference)
* Yamaha vs Denon (Yamaha's downside seems to be a lack of innovation in their user interfaces, and a disdain for "newer" tech like Audyssey)
* The better warranty of Aventage (but not if you buy B stock like I did wink.gif

I would not pay MSRP for this, by the way. I suggest potential buyers buy last year's tech. Very little has changed with AVRs in the last 4-5 years. Internet options improve a bit is all. Some people may want the latest 4k, 3D whatever and be forced into this years model. But try to avoid it wink.gif
morbidz likes this.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #10 of 10 Old 07-25-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I would not pay MSRP for this, by the way.

Pretty much no one purchased this guy until Newegg sold off their new units for $449 to $499. I have yet to unpack my remote as I use a universal remote. In my case the Virtual Dialogue Lift makes it a winner. That and the dynamic surround field. In my room audio tracks come alive more so than the last several receivers.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A820 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A820 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page