DTS Core VS DTS MA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am sure this question has been asked allot but I really cant find a good answer to it. I use the WD LIVE TV PLUS to play my media and I know the WD LIVE TV PLUS does not play DTS MA but it does play the DTS Core. My home theater is a 5.1 Denon Surround Sound and it is able to play the DTS MA. My main question is can anyone really tell the difference between the DTS MA and DTS Core?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 164
AFAIK, the full answer is "it depends." But in general, bluray lossless core is encoded at the highest available bit rate, and is said to be nearly if not entirely indistinguishable from the original PCM. Although that bit rate has been available all along, DVDs generally used a lower bit rate and is easier to distinguish from the original. The MA (lossless) version is said to be bit for bit identical to the original PCM.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I am sure this question has been asked allot
A: Yes, this is a sample of the them:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433605/anyone-hearing-big-differences-between-dts-hd-ma-and-truehd-and-regular-dolby-5-1

http://www.avsforum.com/t/982090/live-free-or-die-hard-dts-1-5-core-vs-dts-ma-a-direct-comparison

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1018079/dts-ma-and-truehd-hyped-up-studios-playing-the-label-game

http://www.avsforum.com/t/823431/new-lossless-audio-vs-the-old-dd-or-dts

but I really cant find a good answer to it.
A: For factual info there is dts website. For subjective opinion there's no single clearcut or unanimous answer.

My main question is can anyone really tell the difference between the DTS MA and DTS Core?
A: See above, but the little info that I can find on wd website it's really dealing with the 'low bitrate' dts from streaming media files rather than Blu-rays.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2013, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
DTS Core refers to a portion of the DTS-HD Master Audio codec. It is lossy DTS Surround, the same codec that's been used for years on DVDs and theatrical releases. But, because Blu-rays have more space, the lossy core is encoded at twice the bitrate normally used on those other media. I am not familiar with WD Live TV Plus, but it seems highly unlikely that the DTS offered on a streaming service comes anywhere close to the bitrates used with the DTS Core portion of lossless tracks on Blu-ray.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i 've been a/b test many time , dts-ma have better extension nomatter highest or lowest fre. n also its more detail n clear , especially object between object u can hear airly sound in between .
post #6 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I believe most people could not tell the difference between dts-MA and the high bitrate DTS core on Blu-ray if they didn't know which was being played. But, again, it is unlikely that the streaming box is outputting anything close to the bitrates used for the core on Blu-ray.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page