Device Error HTR-4065 Yamaha - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-05-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I just set up my receiver, calibrated the speakers and started listening to a great BluRay.

I decided to upgrade the Firmware from version 1.13 to 1.16, so I followed the instructions on the manual. To my dismay, after starting to download the upgrade and "Verifying..." showed on the receiver's screen, it now reads "Device Error".

Keep in mind that this error it's not listed on the manual!! So there is no troubleshooting.
There other similar errors listed on the manual such as "No Device" or "Internal Error", but they seem to be unrelated.

I've been holding on Yamaha's 24hr. Customer support line for more than 30 minutes now. No real person has answered the phone yet.

I've owned other AV receivers before (Pioneer VSX-1021 and Pioneer VSX-1022), and I have upgraded firmware on a plethora of devices I own including the receivers mentioned in this paragraph.

Please advise. I'm resisting shutting down the unit since I'm aware of the possible consequences.
Also note that as of now, the Firmware link on Yamaha's website is not working.
It reads exactly:
"Error
Some problem occurred: Either some unexpected information has been sent or system failure occurred.
Please go back to the previous page to perform necessary operation, or please wait for a while and try it again.
"
mad.gif

Cheers,
Carlos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Here's what Yamaha says.
Firmware Update Error Troubleshooting

- Firmware update doesn’t start or doesn’t complete
● Receiver doesn’t power up after the update.
● Error message appeared when confirming the firmware version.
Recovery method using USB method:
1. Unplug the AC power cable from wall outlet.
2. Insert the USB thumb drive which has the firmware data stored inside, into the USB port located on the front panel.
3. Press and hold the INFO key and keep it pressed while you plug the AC power cable back into the wall outlet again.
“ USB UPDATE ” will appear on the front display. Then, release the INFO key.
4. The update will start automatically.
5. When “ UPDATE SUCCESS ” appears on the display, firmware update is completed.
Power off the receiver and remove the USB thumb drive.
6. Confirm updated firmware version.

- Error message appeared during the update
Cause: For some reason, the receiver can’t read the firmware data.
Method: For your solution, check the following
[Update through Internet]
❏ Check Internet connection.
Check if the Internet connection is working by playing an Internet radio station.
(See owner’s manual for details)
[Update by USB thumb drive]
❏ USB thumb drive is connected properly to the receiver.
❏ USB thumb drive is not password protected.
(AV receiver cannot read data from a security protected USB thumb drive)
❏ Make sure the USB thumb drive is inserted before the receiver is powered on for the update.
❏ The firmware data is stored in the root directory of the USB thumb drive.
❏ There is no other data except the firmware data in the USB thumb drive.
❏ No folders are created in the USB thumb drive.
Else, retry the update by USB using another USB thumb drive.
AudioCarlos likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I'm assuming you were trying to update via network connection if so try using a USB thumb drive. Yamaha seems to be having some network issues as of late I tried to update my RX-A820 all week via network without success but was able to update today with USB.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-05-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks RollTide2011, I'll try that when Yamaha fixes their website.

I ventured to turn the unit off after 45 minutes of holding on Yamaha's phone line to no avail. Thanks to your instructions I know there is an alternate recovery method.

Unfortunately I can't download the firmware either. I'll try with other browsers to see if it's only a matter of a poorly developed website.
At least I have the instructions for alternate firmware upload.

I did turn the unit back on, and it's working... I guess that the moral of the story is: If it's not broken, don't fix it.

The reason why I was trying to upgrade is that while I see the receiver on iTunes, whenever I try to play music on it, it won't work.

I have my old receiver connected on the living room and that AirPlay connection continues to work. Both units are in the same network, with unique IP addresses. I'm streaming (or trying to stream) from iTunes 11.0.4.4 on Windows 8, also tried from my iPad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors