Product Recommendation (Yamaha or Marantz) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-06-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

My wife and I are having a new home built. In the living room, we have asked for prewiring to be added for 5.1 sound. So now, I need to figure out what receiver I want to use...

1) We enjoy the usual stuff...music, movies and sports.

2) In addition to the living room zone, there will be a second zone outside (deck) that will be prewired for 2 additional speakers.

3) We do have music on iTunes so the ability to stream from a device (iPad, iPhone) would be great.

4) The room size is 'average'...I don't have the exact measurements, but it's not huge.

I have been looking at the following products so far...

Yamaha RX-A830

Marantz SR5008

I don't have much experience with picking out this type of equipment. If anybody has opinions/recommendations on the above receivers, I am welcome to hearing them.

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody? Advice is appreciated smile.gif
post #3 of 13 Old 07-07-2013, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Based on the info you gave, it sounds like you would be a great candidate for one of the Yammie's in my opinion.. they do itunes stuff (airplay) and sound really good for the $$, however I would move up one notch to the rx-a1020 or 30 , depending on the speakers you will be using , you can never have too much power.. I have owned Yamaha's for years, they sound great, have great quality for the money and seem to work well in a variety of installations.... they work well for both music and movies IMO .. just my .02.. What kind of speakers are you using ? Do you plan on ever adding external amplification... ? Let me know what you decide to do.. and if you have any questions at all , ask away.. glad to help... ! smile.gif
post #4 of 13 Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
+1 for the Yamaha

I run a 9.2 system utilizing the zone feature to run a set of outside speakers on my deck but could have very easily went with a 5.1 setup and my room is also not overly large. The one thing about the Yamaha's that I like is the ability to switch inputs when the unit is in standby mode for just watching TV without having to turn the system on. There are very few if any receivers that have this capability, some will switch to the last input when powered off, and some will let you set a default input when in standby but not many will let you switch inputs just to watch TV with the unit in standby. I would also suggest you look at the Aventage series since they are coming out with a new lineup the RX-A3020 or RX-A2020 will start to decrease in price as they have airplay, internet radio, and an additional zone for a total of 4 zones also on the plus side they have pre outs for adding amps for future expansion.

smile.gif

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)
Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #5 of 13 Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

I have not determined what speakers I should use. Narrowing down the choices with the receivers was difficult enough given my lack of AV knowledge. There are so many speaker choices I am not sure where to even start. I can tell you that the prewiring will come out of the ceiling.

Any help with speakers to match the Yamaha receiver mentioned above would be great smile.gif
post #6 of 13 Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I've had great luck with Klipsch/Yamaha combo in the past. Klipsch are fairly easy to drive for even an entry level avr.
But having said that, sound is very subjective and somebody's golden system may not sound too great to your ears. So, the advice would be to audition first. Do your ground work and visit some audio stores and do a thorough listening on your favourite music and movies.
Never used a marantz so can't comment.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #7 of 13 Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 PM

Per my suggestion on receivers in previous post, I run the following klipsch speakers with my Yamaha rx-a3010

Front - rf-63
Center - RC-64
Surround - rs-62
Surround back - rs -52
Front presence - rb-61

If you go with klipsch, the trick is to stay with the same series (even though your back and/or surrounds can be a bit smaller) that keeps the timber of the speakers evenly matched.

Definitely do a sound comparison in person at an audio store to make sure you like the sound whichever speakers you go with before you purchase regardless.

smile.gif

Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #8 of 13 Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hello again,

Do you have any recommendations on in ceiling mounted speakers to go with the Yamaha receivers mentioned above? I was looking at the following items:

http://www.klipsch.com/CDT-5800-C-II

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/90rt

Thanks!
post #9 of 13 Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 PM

Well, i have never installed or listened to the speakers you mentioned above, but after looking at there respective cut sheets the Klipsch has a nice feature which allows you to adjust the mid and treble levels of the actual speaker and this could be important if they are installed in a "Bright" sounding room (Tweeter adjust down to -3db) or if placed in a corner to lower the midrange to ellimate to much bass. A small business in the local area who I get most of my Klipsch speakers from does highly regard the Klipsch in wall and in ceiling speakers and he is much more knowledgeable then me on them. I do have one question though, are you going to match these with standard floorstanding or bookshelf speakers for you front and surrounds? If so then you would want to look at the RF-82 series for fronts as these have the same size woofers as the in ceiling speakers you listed (remember to match the woofer size if possible across the entire spectrum of speakers)

The above again is just my opinion but after having read and owned Klipsch the above recommendations worked for me.smile.gif

post #10 of 13 Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
IMO I think Klispch sounds a little better than Polk,, although I haven't owned either in a while.. it just seemed to me that my Klispche's always sounded more accurate than my Polk's .. sometimes the older Polk's did not have that great of a midrange.. anyways.. the newer ones may be better though... I can tell you the Klispch are way more efficient and you will get alot more out of your Yamaha with them... you probably will get real good movie theater levels from those speakers and the Yammie. Yammie's tend to do quite well with Klipsch! smile.gifsmile.gif
post #11 of 13 Old 07-14-2013, 02:54 AM

I've owned 2 Yamaha in the past and now own a Marantz. I'll never go back to Yamaha even though they got me by when on a budget. The Marantz, in my opinion, is far superior quality. It all depends on ur budget
post #12 of 13 Old 07-14-2013, 05:42 PM

I also agree that the Upper end Marantz units are built well, but I have installed both Marantz and Yamaha units and the upper end Yamaha units do favorably compare with the Marantz units. Budget does factor into a lot of how a product is designed and how it functions, as they say you do get what you pay for. The one thing I found about the Marantz is that they tend to run on the hot side, with that said you do want to ensure any unit you purchase has lots of room in your stand/rack for heat dissipation.

post #13 of 13 Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8451 View Post

I also agree that the Upper end Marantz units are built well, but I have installed both Marantz and Yamaha units and the upper end Yamaha units do favorably compare with the Marantz units. Budget does factor into a lot of how a product is designed and how it functions, as they say you do get what you pay for. The one thing I found about the Marantz is that they tend to run on the hot side, with that said you do want to ensure any unit you purchase has lots of room in your stand/rack for heat dissipation.

Well put Smitty-
I have to external fans running on the back of mine each time the receiver is powered up through the 12v trigger. One blowing in and one sucking out. Works great
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page