Denon avr3312ci preouts and speaker outs simultaneously - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-06-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum smile.gif I've lurked here many times looking for answer to my avr problems/dilemas. For the most part I've always been able to find the answers. The problem I'm experiencing this time have me very confused. I'm hoping someone who have used the 3312ci can shed some light or point me to the right direction. I have a Denon 3312ci running 7.2 ch and have been happy with it. I recently purchased a Marantz pm8004 for 2 channel audio and to help take the load off my receiver for surround mode. When I first connected the Marantz to the front preouts of the Denon, I ran audyssey to make sure everything is calibrated properly and it worked fine. I ran the test tone to all channels and it worked flawlessly. After a short while only the fronts and the surrounds back would produce sound as if they were the only speakers connected. I ran the test tone to check and it confirmed my problem. I disconnected everything and restart the steps all over again. This time around audysses would only pick up the fronts and surround back. I called Denon techical support and more than one rep affirmed that the 3312ci was not designed to be used with both the preouts and speaker outs simultaneously. Meaning, I cannot use the Marantz via preouts for the fronts and the receiver for the rest of the setup. My question is; Did I lucked out the first time somehow and that the Denon is not designed the way I want to use it or is there something wrong with my receiver? My heart tells me to listen to what the Denon reps told me but my mind is confused as to how did it worked for that little while the first time... Any response will appreciated. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-06-2013, 08:34 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
No, in this instance the Denon reps were incorrect as you can certainly use external amplification on some speakers and let the AVR handle the rest (as is also likely the case with any AVR with pre-outs). What you should not do is connect the external amp speaker posts and the AVR speakers posts to the same set of speakers. Not sure what caused the issue with your unit, but you may want to reset the microprocessor (p. 149 OM) if you have not already done so.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 07-06-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your quick response, jdsmoothie. I have reset the microprocessor and ran audyssey again and same problem occured. When I take the Marantz out completely, everything is as normal. I should mention that when I originally had the Marantz hooked up, I had 2 sets of speakers connected to it. One was my fronts from my original 7.2 setup which are PSB 6Ts and the other is a set of Klipsch Tangent 500 I picked up locally to experience what horn sounds like. I replaced the original tweets on the Klipsch with BCrites titanium tweets and braced the inside cabinet. I must say I really enjoy the sound the Klipsch after the mods (but that's for a different discussion).Do you think that could be the root of my problem? When I ran audyssey the second time around, I did have the Marantz switched to run the PSB.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-07-2013, 05:32 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
As long as the FL/FR pre-outs on the 3312CI are connected to either the Direct IN inputs or any of the analog device inputs (eg. CD) on the PM-8004 and the FL/FR speakers are only connected to either the top row or bottom row of speaker posts on the PM-8004, there should be no issue. However, note that the 3312CI is a more powerful amp than is the PM-8004 so there is likely no benefit using the PM-8004. I would simply remove it from your setup or use it to power Zone 2 or 3 speakers instead.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page