Carrying AVR in carry-on/cabin bag? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am not sure if this topic can fit in this forum, but would be glad if you can help me smile.gif

I have recently purchased Denon 1713 receiver in USA and need to carry it back to India.

Any idea if this can be taken in the carry-on/cabin bag? Its 18.3 pounds and would fit in my cabin bag I believe.
This way, I can ensure smooth handling :P

Is there any restriction to carry such electronic devices in cabin on international flights? Tried contacting airlines, but those folks do not really understand what is AVR and not sure if I can carry.

Last option is to put it in check-in bag with good packaging and marking fragile, but would like to carry with me all time ;-)

Thanks,
-Sachin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My brother carried a desktop computer on an airplane a few years ago. It was a domestic U.S. flight though.

Do you still have the receiver's original packaging? If so you could just check it as luggage in its shipping box. I see that sometimes.

And no, they probably won't understand what an AVR is. Just say it's a stereo system--they'll get the idea.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

My brother carried a desktop computer on an airplane a few years ago. It was a domestic U.S. flight though.

Do you still have the receiver's original packaging? If so you could just check it as luggage in its shipping box. I see that sometimes.

And no, they probably won't understand what an AVR is. Just say it's a stereo system--they'll get the idea.

Thanks for the suggestion. I already purchased the checkin and cabin bags, so cant carry it separately.
Have to fit it in one of the bags smile.gif

So was wondering if I can get it with me in cabin. Will check with airline again mentioning stereo system smile.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
most airlines have some / all of the restriction listed on their particular web site (you don't mention which you are flying with) and the restrictions are usually at the security area although the airline may have some additional ones. I personally have brought back a dvd player from hawaii a number of years ago. I think you are likely to be OK IF you don't exceed the weight restriction for carry on bags which alot don't follow closely unless there is an obvious indication that you have an oversize bag or are struggling with the item.

This link indicates that types of things not allowed travelling out of USA... no mention of "normal electronics".... and how much of a stretch is it that a AVR is basically a "specialized computer".... :-)
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items
post #5 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

most airlines have some / all of the restriction listed on their particular web site (you don't mention which you are flying with) and the restrictions are usually at the security area although the airline may have some additional ones. I personally have brought back a dvd player from hawaii a number of years ago. I think you are likely to be OK IF you don't exceed the weight restriction for carry on bags which alot don't follow closely unless there is an obvious indication that you have an oversize bag or are struggling with the item.

This link indicates that types of things not allowed travelling out of USA... no mention of "normal electronics".... and how much of a stretch is it that a AVR is basically a "specialized computer".... :-)
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Thanks for the link. I would be traveling with Lufthansa from USA with layover and security checking at Frankfurt.
Their website description doesnt help much really.

From TSA link I could find entries for some related items. Based on these results, I think it should be allowed to carry it inside cabin as long as weight restriction is followed.

Any thoughts?
Quote:

Search Results For:

stereo amplifier

Check or Carry-on

You may transport this item in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. For items you wish to carry-on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

Please be sure to wrap cords tightly around electronics items and pack your bag in neat layers (layer of clothes, layer of electronics, layer of clothes, layer of shoes, etc.) to help officers get a clear look at your bag.

Search Results For:

cable television receiver box

Check or Carry-on

Please carefully pack your electronics items, making sure all cords are wrapped and any DVDs, CDs, or cassettes are removed from their devices. While you can pack expensive, fragile electronics items in checked or carry-on bags, we recommend packing them in your carry-on.

Laptop computers, full-size video game consoles, CPAP machines, full-size DVD players, and video cameras that use video cassettes must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening. Small and portable electronic items (iPods, iPads, cell phones, etc.) do not need to be removed from their carrying cases.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As long as it doesn't exceed the size or weight of the carry on restrictions you should be fine. In the TSA line they will just put in through the same area that all laptops, phones and notebooks get checked.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Reality check: although you may call it an "AVR" or a "home theater receiver," the rest of the world does call these things "amplifiers." Stereo amplifiers--done. You should be fine.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page