2 x receivers= 1 dedicated receiver the other as an external amplifier. better then a dedicated amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello everyone,

quick intro. New member, loving and learning audio, video and related technology.
impressed with the communities knowledge, experience and set ups so I've decided to be active and finally join after 2 years reading these forums.

I've recently purchased an

Onkyo TX-NR5010 to replace my old Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver.

I loved my 7.1 set up with the Pioneer but as I felt like it was not "expandable" enough when I hear of new receivers that support 2 subwoofers, more zones and more power.

Did some research and learnt things about bi-amping to I think give your speakers more juice and hence a noticeable quality in sound, but at the expense of supporting less speakers.

thought about using those "Y" splitters things for the subwoofer PRe-out connections to have 2 subwoofers.
Also learning about using external amps to handle more speakers in the overall system set up.

I've set up the 9.4 speakers the Onkyo reciever can support(made compensation for room correction and speaker/sub room placement to maximize bass in the room) however I was driven to add the 2 extra speakers the receiver can support so but required an external amp.

I've connected the front wide speaker pre-outs from the Onkyo to the cd co-axial connections of the back of the Pioneer and attached the front wide speakers to the front LRs of the reciever.

The question. Is this a good idea?

I've set the Pioneer as pure direct so it would not make any changes or modifications coming in from the source(Onkyo) but when I notice there is less sound coming out of the speakers connected to the Pioneer and even when I crank it up there still sounds like there is less treble or or not as much range in sounds compared to the other surround speakers connected to the Onko.

Is this because the Pioneer can not provide enough power just for two speakers?

I feel it's a waste to throw away or sell the Pioneer reciever, but if it really has to do with power and a dedicated amp is required what should I get?

I would also like to bi-amp all 11 of my speakers but I'm not sure how I'm going to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
The 5010 already features dual sub pre-outs and after running Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with the Pioneer connected, the Front Wide speaker volume should be configured properly to the 75db test tone just as the other speakers are configured. There should be no reason the Pioneer would not function as well as a dedicated 2CH amp. Also note that using the "passive" bi-amping feature of the AVR will not provide any real benefit in either better audio fidelity nor additional power. There is only one power supply in the AVR and so you can't squeeze any more power than what the speakers are already demanding.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 134
In other words, no real benefit of using the Pioneer. Even 3 or 4 subs can be connected to one avr using Y splitters. No need for a second avr.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #4 of 4 Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cool, thanks guys.

I at least now know I have use for my old equipment and that it doesn't hurt to experiment.. I'm not really the one to let AV do those automatic calibrations, but I may have to spend some time with that audessy equaliser thingy.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page