Audyssey XT vs XT32 (Denon x4000 vs 3313ci)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am replacing an older Yamaha RX receiver and was about the pull the trigger on a discounted Denon 3313ci (I need the 3 HDMI outs) until I heard about the new Denon X4000 that comes with Audyssey XT32 upgraded from XT on the 3313ci. Can someone help me understand the differences between XT32 and XT? I'm trying to decide if this and the other additional features of the X4000 warrant the price difference for me.

I've read the other posts but was curious if anyone has compared the two and has opinions/valuable advice.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by howletus View Post

So I am replacing an older Yamaha RX receiver and was about the pull the trigger on a discounted Denon 3313ci (I need the 3 HDMI outs) until I heard about the new Denon X4000 that comes with Audyssey XT32 upgraded from XT on the 3313ci. Can someone help me understand the differences between XT32 and XT? I'm trying to decide if this and the other additional features of the X4000 warrant the price difference for me.

I've read the other posts but was curious if anyone has compared the two and has opinions/valuable advice.

Thanks...

XT32 has 4x the amount of filters compared to XT.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #3 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Virtually everyone that has upgraded from an XT to XT32 model has been more than impressed, and with dual subwoofers in the setup, Sub EQ HT on the X4000 also is a nice benefit as well. XT32 has 32x the speaker filter resolution and 4x the sub filter resolution as compared to XT. If your budget permits, well worth the extra coin, especially if you've got a nice 5.1 setup (Ie. > $1500), otherwise, if not, you would likely be better served with the 3313CI and putting the savings into upgrading your speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 6 Old 11-11-2013, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Virtually everyone that has upgraded from an XT to XT32 model has been more than impressed, and with dual subwoofers in the setup, Sub EQ HT on the X4000 also is a nice benefit as well. XT32 has 32x the speaker filter resolution and 4x the sub filter resolution as compared to XT. If your budget permits, well worth the extra coin, especially if you've got a nice 5.1 setup (Ie. > $1500), otherwise, if not, you would likely be better served with the 3313CI and putting the savings into upgrading your speakers.

I read a review on Amazon and someone said that the Denon 3313CI (which only comes with Audyssey XT and not XT32) doesn't allow you to turn on/turn off Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume once calibrated through Audyssey. Is this a cause for concern? I know many purists prefer that Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume is set to Off.

Also, is the Denon X4000 the only Denon receiver that has XT32? It's physically too big for my setup, so I was hoping for a receiver that was smaller.

I have an Onkyo right now (HT-R390 to be exact) -- it has a TI Burr Brown DAC that handles 192kHz/24-bit. Many say that they prefer the "Denon sound" over the "Onkyo sound." Agree or disagree?

Lastly, if I do go with a receiver that only does MultiXT (not XT32), should I even bother with Audyssey calibration or should I stick with manual calibration using an SPL meter?
post #5 of 6 Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
1. As is often the case with Amazon reviews, that info was incorrect. Yes, you can turn Audyssey OFF (as well as Dyn EQ and Dyn VOL OFF leaving Audyssey ON) on any Denon AVR that features it, not to mention that using either DIRECT or PURE DIRECT modes (for the purists) will also disable Audyssey as well as bass management.
2. In the Denon line, the X4000 is the lowest model with XT32 with the Marantz 7008 being the lowest model in the Marantz line and on the Onkyo line, the Onkyo 818 and 929 would be the lowest models in their respective year groups. Although XT32 is certainly all that (and more), the lower versions of MultEQ and MultEQ XT will still provide a very nice EQ of your speaker setup especially in order to live within your AVR footprint requirements. Keep in mind that with any model you choose, you'll want at least 3-4" clearance above the unit for proper ventilation.
3. Can't say, never compared the two side by side.
4. It's likely that even the lowest version of Audyssey 2EQ can do a better job then you would be able to do manually, unless you have professional EQ equipment.
Player3 likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 6 Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I returned my onkyo 818 because I did not like the sound of it for music. It sounded like there was a blanket over my speakers and was very heavy in the mid range. I am going back to denon as I strongly prefer it for music. The onkyo was great for ht though. If you will be hardly listening to music, go with the onkyo.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page