Need something inexpensive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-10-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I have an old JVC receiver that turns off 5 seconds after turning it on. It's over 10 years old and I'm not going to spend any time trying to fix it. I need a replacement for a 5.1 system that's in my master bedroom. My wife is the only one who uses it. I don't want to spend much, but at the same time, I want a good deal. I have 6 surround sound systems in my house, so I wouldn't be opposed to buying a 7.1 receiver and handing down an old receiver to the master bedroom. I prefer audyssey, but a Yamaha or pioneer would be acceptable. hdmi 1.4 would be preferred and I only need 2 hdmi inputs. Fios and blu-ray.

Does anyone know of any good deals right now? I probably wouldn't spend over $500 unless it's a great deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 151
For the bedroom:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1713/DENON-AVR-1713-5.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-Ready/1.html
post #3 of 8 Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 778
^^^ +1 on the 1713...also check out the other great deals accessories4less routinely offers on their site.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ended up getting this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHC7ZTE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know it's not as good as the Denon but since my wife is the one who will use it, I need to get what's best for her. I want something new with a warranty where a return is simple an easy. I don't want it to break, so something that isn't known for getting hot is a plus. It has Sony room correction, which is probably much worse than audyssey xt, but coming from something without any room correction, it should be a marked improvement.

Thanks for the replies.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I ended up getting this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHC7ZTE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know it's not as good as the Denon but since my wife is the one who will use it, I need to get what's best for her. I want something new with a warranty where a return is simple an easy. I don't want it to break, so something that isn't known for getting hot is a plus. It has Sony room correction, which is probably much worse than audyssey xt, but coming from something without any room correction, it should be a marked improvement.

Thanks for the replies.

Since it's just for a bedroom I don't think you'd notice much difference between the low-end auto-EQs. For that low of a price you can't really go wrong.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I know you've already purchased from Amazon, but just so you know, accessories4less.com is an authorized Denon reseller and you get a 1 year manufacturer's warranty on their refurbished units. Some credit cards will double that warranty. I know my Amex does.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

I know you've already purchased from Amazon, but just so you know, accessories4less.com is an authorized Denon reseller and you get a 1 year manufacturer's warranty on their refurbished units. Some credit cards will double that warranty. I know my Amex does.

I knew that, but thanks for reminding me. Even with a warranty, having something break and need repair or replacement is a PITA. I've had mixed luck buying refurbs and will typically only buy if the savings is 50% or more off new.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hooked up my new Sony STR-DH740 and it works great. Sounds much better than my old JVC receiver. Probably because it has an automated speaker setup. The setup only seems to adjust distance and volume. No eq. It stays cool and is small and light. It fits in the old slot with room to spare.

I wouldn't recommend it for a serious AV enthusiast, but for someone who wants 7.1, isn't too picky, and wants to spend the minimum, it's a good choice.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page