What should I buy? TX-NR525, AVR-1613, or AVR-1713 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so I need some help here. I'm getting a new receiver and I've narrowed my choices down the the Onkyo TX-NR525, the Denon AVR-1613, and the Denon AVR-1713. Main reasons being, I'll only be using 5.1 for the foreseeable future, I want at least the Audyssey MultiEQ (I know the 1713 has XT which would be cool but it's the highest price of the 3 so you gotta sell me on it biggrin.gif), I'd like a nice overlay interface and network connection features (I have a NAS with music connected with UPNP and the option for bluetooth for my phone would be nice too). And of course, price, I have a budget of $300 and I found these 3 refurbished for under that, so seems like a good deal for any of them, I just need you to help me on which one would be the best.

Prices I found:

Onkyo TX-NR525: $260
Denon AVR-1613: $215
Denon AVR 1713: $290

Keep in mind, I don't have really amazing speakers, just your average yamaha home theater 5.1 speakers. They'll be used mostly with my PS3, Dish Hopper, and my 46" LCD (non smart-tv). Also, from the comparison on amazon, it looked like the 1613 had the same network capabilities as the 1713 (can play FLAC and connect using DLNA) but on the Denon website it lists no FLAC or DLNA support, which is accurate? http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productcomparision.aspx?pIDs=avr1913%28denonna%29%7Cavr1713%28denonna%29%7Cavr1613%28denonna%29%7Cavr1513%28denonna%29&catID=avreceivers%28denonna%29

Thanks for the help, any and all suggestions appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I see the Pioneer VSX-1022-K is on sale for 225 at newegg as an open box item (which is basically new right?) That seems like a good deal as well, even though I don't need the extra 2 channels, I do have an EVO 4G LTE, so the HTC connect feature is appealing, I just want to know how their MCACC compares to the MultiEQ Audyssey, would I be good with that choice?
post #3 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathalo View Post

Also, I see the Pioneer VSX-1022-K is on sale for 225 at newegg as an open box item (which is basically new right?) That seems like a good deal as well, even though I don't need the extra 2 channels, I do have an EVO 4G LTE, so the HTC connect feature is appealing, I just want to know how their MCACC compares to the MultiEQ Audyssey, would I be good with that choice?
Quote:

The AVR-1713 has Audyssey MultEQ XT, which is definitely the most sophisticated room correction system in any of the receivers you have listed.

As for the Pioneer open-box unit, it should be in working condition,but it could be missing items like the calibration mic and/or the remote.

If you can swing the 1713, that would be the best choice for most people with your budget and those options you have listed.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

The AVR-1713 has Audyssey MultEQ XT, which is definitely the most sophisticated room correction system in any of the receivers you have listed.

As for the Pioneer open-box unit, it should be in working condition,but it could be missing items like the calibration mic and/or the remote.

If you can swing the 1713, that would be the best choice for most people with your budget and those options you have listed.

Great advice, I've heard of how good the Audyssey XT's abilities are and I guess it is worth it to pony up for the best. I didn't know if any of the other receivers performed better or had better features or whatever, but now I'm definitely leaning towards the 1713. Of course, I do have one issue and subsequent question, neither Denon seem to have Bluetooth capabilities, which would be really nice to use with my phone (like I do in my car), is there an adapter I can later purchase to add this feature? I know the Onkyo and Pioneer both have this available as an adapter but I hadn't seen anything for Denon, or would I be stuck with a third party option and if so do you know the best way about adding that feature seamlessly (maybe someone here has done this before)? Thanks again!
post #5 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

One more question, I'm going to have to buy a subwoofer, I hear that one with a dedicated LFE input would be best with Audyssey, what's a good one you can recommend that's under $100 (I know I'm cheap :P)
post #6 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
With that budget forget a sub as you'll just be tossing your money away. There are no subs for $100 that will sound anything remotely resembling a 'real' sub.. Double that budget and you'll have some sound quality.

BIC subs are pretty decent.

Parts Express has some Dayton subs that are pretty decent for around the same price.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #7 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 02:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
Quote:

One more question, I'm going to have to buy a subwoofer, I hear that one with a dedicated LFE input would be best with Audyssey, what's a good one you can recommend that's under $100 (I know I'm cheap :P)

The Monoprice sub gets good reviews ....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=8248&format=2

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The Monoprice sub gets good reviews ....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=8248&format=2

That does seem to have good reviews, and a very affordable price. Thing is, I live in a condo, and the living room is fairly small, I actually have my current sub (which is unpowered) directly behind the couch, which is probably where this will go, so I don't need a really large powerful one.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr525 5 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr525 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page