How do I connect an external hard disk to my amplifier? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New here, so go easy on me smile.gif

I have a Marantz PM6004 amp + 5004 CD player connected to a pair of ELACs. I have a huge collection of hi def music on my external usb drive. Mostly MP3. What do I need so that I can listen to them on my current setup? I know there you could use a line in from my computer but I dont want that. Will a DAC help here?

EDIT:
Based on the replies so far I have concluded that a DAC wont help. Media players with RCA out look promising but most require the TV to be switched on so that you can navigate. Same for XBOX, PS3, DB/DVD players. Anyone know of any that I can use as a standalone unit? Preferably with a remote so that I can just switch it on and start playing.
I had a look at one of the Sonos models but they only seem to stream music from your computer/phone or require a line in from an external device. It does not have storage nor does it accept a USB drive. Know of any alternatives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 07:14 AM

Liked: 18
do you have a media player? usually media players have usb input. connect your hdd to a media player, then connect your media player to your amp. And no, you can't use a dac.
bobbyalex likes this.

Paradigm Studio 10 v5 | Paradigm CC 290 v6 | Paradigm ADP 190 v5 | PSA XS30 | Denon 1911
post #3 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

I dont have one. Also, the amp does not have a standard stereo 3.5 mm line in, only RCA. What I am looking for is a device that I can connect to the amp to which I can connect the usb drive and use a remote to skip/pause songs. I dont want to have to use a TV or any other external device like a computer to play music or control the device. I am also ok if the device does not have a USB input but has internal storage to store the music directly.

Any suggestions?

PS: Well now that I think about it, I do have a PS3 and a DVD player. But I need to turn on the TV to navigate both.. plus there is a start up delay.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyalex View Post

New here, so go easy on me smile.gif

I have a Marantz PM6004 amp + 5004 CD player connected to a pair of ELACs. I have a huge collection of hi def music on my external usb drive. Mostly MP3. What do I need so that I can listen to them on my current setup? I know there you could use a line in from my computer but I dont want that. Will a DAC help here?

Many BD Players will play MP3s off of external drives.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

True but you have to switch on your TV first. I am looking for a more stand alone option. Media players look promising... know any which does not require a TV?
post #6 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Look for a Logitech Squeezebox Touch or classic on Ebay. While discontinued it's the best solution there is. You can navigate via the front panel of the Touch or smartphone/tablet app for either.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 AM

Liked: 18
I think most media players will need a TV to navigate through the menus. So you will still need a TV. The Squeezebox is a viable option, or try to search for music servers. Not sure if it has usb input though.

Paradigm Studio 10 v5 | Paradigm CC 290 v6 | Paradigm ADP 190 v5 | PSA XS30 | Denon 1911
post #8 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, your best bet is to get a $100 AppleTV. Then use airplay to stream. You don't need to turn on the TV. Works great.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page