New Setup = New Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using a hand-me-down Bose system and just got a new set up. The new set up is the Episode 700 series In-Ceiling LCR's, Center Channel, and Point 6's. The system sounds great! However, you have to turn it up to roughly -5db to hear it. Below that it sounds very soft, so my thought was that a more powerful amp would be the answer.

I currently own a Yamaha RX-V471 which has been great, but I don't know that its quite powerful enough to push the speakers above, mainly the LCR's and Center channel. I am looking at the Marantz SR5008 and that is pretty much the top of the budget. Would there be a considerable performance difference between these 2 receivers to justify the cost of upgrading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwestaman View Post

I have been using a hand-me-down Bose system and just got a new set up. The new set up is the Episode 700 series In-Ceiling LCR's, Center Channel, and Point 6's. The system sounds great! However, you have to turn it up to roughly -5db to hear it. Below that it sounds very soft, so my thought was that a more powerful amp would be the answer.

I currently own a Yamaha RX-V471 which has been great, but I don't know that its quite powerful enough to push the speakers above, mainly the LCR's and Center channel. I am looking at the Marantz SR5008 and that is pretty much the top of the budget. Would there be a considerable performance difference between these 2 receivers to justify the cost of upgrading?

Take a look at http://www.accessories4less.com they can expand the budget.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Any model you would recommend from this site as better alternative to the Marantz SR5007/6007?
post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Any model you would recommend from this site as better alternative to the Marantz SR5007/6007?
No, for what you want I would think the Marantz is real good, I like the front end on it looks old/new style. As for me If I was redoing my set up I like the NR1607 slim line but would end up with an Onkyo AVR, have had good service from them in the past
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The Denon X4000 has Audyssey MultEQ XT32. If you give Craig Peer a call at AV Science, it's just a hair over your budget.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #6 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I am concerned the Marantz Slimline is not powerful enough to push in ceiling LCRs since they're rated at 175watts.

As far as Denon, I have not liked their user interface on other people's system. I really just want to have the best receiver for the money at this point. Not sure if any of you have experience with episode speakers or not, but I was told the Marantz line mates well.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I am concerned the Marantz Slimline is not powerful enough to push in ceiling LCRs since they're rated at 175watts.

As far as Denon, I have not liked their user interface on other people's system. I really just want to have the best receiver for the money at this point. Not sure if any of you have experience with episode speakers or not, but I was told the Marantz line mates well.

I'd stick with your original plan of getting a Marantz 5007/6007. I wouldn't worry about power too much since both of these receivers have amplifier pre-outs. If you have the extra room in your shelf/rack, then you can just pick up an external amplifier. Only the 6007 might have is more amp assign options for those pre-outs. Plenty of companies that sell decent 5 x 200 watt amps for under $1000. The days of mainstream receivers having the power to drive decent speakers are long-gone.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #8 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

If that's the case will I notice any difference between the $350 Yamaha and the $800 Marantz in SQ?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page