Time for a new receiver. Recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A few years ago, I bought an Arcam AVR300 receiver figuring it would be the centerpiece of my home theater setup for some time to come. Unfortunately, it has been less than reliable over the last 2.5 years and appears to finally have given up the ghost a few weeks ago. So I am back in the market for a new receiver. Having not stayed up-to-date on the latest receivers for some time, I feel a little overwhelmed right now and could use some recommendations. I am looking for a 7 channel receiver with at least 5 HDMI inputs, preferably 2 HDMI outputs, 2 zones, networked (wired or wireless) preferably with Airplay and an on-screen GUI. Here's the hard part... I am trying to stay right around $500.

I've "narrowed" the list down a bit to a few receivers that meet most of my requirements, but am open to any suggestions.

Pioneer Elite VSX-70
PioneerVSX1123
Pioneer SC-1222
Yamaha RXV675
Yamaha RXA730
Sony STR-DN1040
Denon AVR 2313
Marantz 1604

Prior to the Arcam receiver, I've enjoyed and had very good experiences with a Pioneer and Yamaha receiver. While I do the like the sound from the recent Onkyo's, I was not too impressed with their quality (Before I bought the Arcam in 2005, I bought and returned one after it stopped working after few days)

My current setup includes a 46" Samsumg LED TV (un46c8000xf), apple TV, Samsung blu-ray player, a PS3, espon Home Cinema 5010 projector, 2 B&W CM7s, CM centre, B&W ASW610 subwoofer and 4 klipsch in-wall speakers. I would estimate that two-thirds of my previous receiver's use was for home theater and one-third for music (from classical to rock). The room is a bit tricky, in that it is very open with an exposed brick wall, 8' ceilings and hardwood floors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Maybe this site can help with a choice. Good starting point.

http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/how-to-shop/best-budget-receiver-2013
Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. Good to see all of the receivers compared side-by-side.

I think I am leaning towards one of the pioneer models or the sony, with the Yamahas not far behind. Does anyone have suggestions/comments about the Pioneer Elite VSX70 vs the Pioneer VSX 1123? Prices are pretty similar and it does not seem like the VSX70 adds anything over the VSX1123. On spec, the Sony seems like a real winner too, though Sony receivers never struck me as very "high-end" (Though at $500, I am not looking at high end receivers).

Any other suggestions on best places to purchase AV equipment?