Upgrading my system to Krell or Mcintosh, please help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi to All

I have a Pioneer SC-LX90 "Susano", and i would like to get even more detail.

I don't know if this is the right way to go, but i am considering 2 systems:

First System:

- Krell "The Foundation" Processor
- Krell S-1500 7 Channel Amplifier

Second Sytem:

- Mcintosh MX-151
- Mcintosh MC-8207

I don't know if i will get more dynamics and details with these 2 systems, than the Pioneer. Should i upgrade or stay still?
By the way, 3D doesn't matter too much to me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
That is a beast of an AVR and to get a 3db increase you would need a 500 wpc amp as for difference in detail i bet it would be slight .
What speakers /sub are you using?
post #3 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

I am using Klipsch Reference RF-7 II (Front); RF-82 II (Back); RC-64 II Center; Subwoffer SW-115.

Tank you
post #4 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Hi to All

I have a Pioneer SC-LX90 "Susano", and i would like to get even more detail.

I don't know if this is the right way to go, but i am considering 2 systems:

First System:

- Krell "The Foundation" Processor
- Krell S-1500 7 Channel Amplifier

Second Sytem:

- Mcintosh MX-151
- Mcintosh MC-8207

I don't know if i will get more dynamics and details with these 2 systems, than the Pioneer. Should i upgrade or stay still?
By the way, 3D doesn't matter too much to me...

You're about to drop upwards of 10K +, and I would advise you to do your research diligently, there's a new Mcintosh MX-151 thread here in the Ultra hi end gear (20,000) , as for the Krell I'm not sure many have gotten there hands on one to offer any input. what are your priorities that your making such a large jump into separates? is it fidelity, dynamics processing power more channels, do you listen to a lot of music or is this just for movies, as you can see you should ask yourself a lot of questions before dropping that kind of cash and not getting what you may be looking for . Also do you plan to upgrade your speakers to match the new level of refinement of the rest of the purchase?
post #5 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
More detail? Buy new speakers or look into room treatment. You're not going to find it wasting money on expensive amplification.
oztech and 67jason like this.

post #6 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

More detail? Buy new speakers or look into room treatment. You're not going to find it wasting money on expensive amplification.
I agree the room and speakers have more control over detail than most think.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Changing my speakers...i don't think so. I watch 99% movies and 1% music and Klipsch for me is awesome, love the sound.
I've compared many speakers even more expensive, and for Music there are better speakers, but for movies? Only JBL Synthesis can be compared...Klipsch and JBL are a completely different league and only for movie lovers like me.

I actually love the sound of the Susano, buying better is such to have something different and more refined. I've read things about the Mcintosh and the Krell, they look good, but so expensive and no AC3?!!!
Well guess i will have to buy an AC3 demulator for Laserdiscs or just keep the Susano for that.

Also considering to buy a used Mint Krell 707 Evolution and some used Mint 2 and 3 Channels Amps form Krell or Mcintosh.

But let's not forget Theta, because the developer of their Processor and Amps actually is one of the best Engineers... wink.gif
post #8 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Changing my speakers...i don't think so. I watch 99% movies and 1% music and Klipsch for me is awesome, love the sound.
I've compared many speakers even more expensive, and for Music there are better speakers, but for movies? Only JBL Synthesis can be compared...Klipsch and JBL are a completely different league and only for movie lovers like me.

I actually love the sound of the Susano, buying better is such to have something different and more refined. I've read things about the Mcintosh and the Krell, they look good, but so expensive and no AC3?!!!
Well guess i will have to buy an AC3 demulator for Laserdiscs or just keep the Susano for that.

Also considering to buy a used Mint Krell 707 Evolution and some used Mint 2 and 3 Channels Amps form Krell or Mcintosh.

But let's not forget Theta, because the developer of their Processor and Amps actually is one of the best Engineers... wink.gif

Get a Marantz 8801 and call it a day, especially if your 99% movies.

Thank me later wink.gif
post #9 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:

It would appear you just want to spend money. Nothing wrong with that as long as no puppies are killed in the process! biggrin.gif

If you decide to go a wee bit cheaper I'm selling an Anthem MCA 2 series ii on craigslist for $300. wink.gif

post #10 of 16 Old 07-20-2013, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Get a Marantz 8801 and call it a day, especially if your 99% movies.

Thank me later wink.gif

Hi

I've checked the Marantz Pre Pro but a friend of mine told me my Pioneer SC-LX90 is way better, better performance and more power.
I even tought the Marantz Pre Pro was in the League of the Denon AVP-A1HDA and Denon POA-A1HD, but according to reviews it's not even close.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-20-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I hate to say this, but with those speakers I highly doubt that you will notice any difference by going with the Krell or McIntosh. Don't get me wrong, those are ok speakers, but nothing more than ok, and for the money you could do better. If watching movies is your primary goal, then I would recommend looking into Seaton Sound or Danley Sound Labs as they have speakers that will stomp the crap out of those Klipsch speakers for movies. As a matter of fact, Klipsch even makes some speakers that are leaps and bounds better than the RF-7ii. For example, the Jubilee, or La Scala. You could get a brand new pair of Jubilee and use a La Scala for the center channel and still come out less than upgrading to Krell or McIntish. That would give you one of the best theaters on this board, and make a whole hell of a lot more difference than just swapping your components. You would be a complete fool to buy those new components over buying the Jubilee's, La Scalas, Danley, or Seaton speakers. The RF-7ii's lack cla9rty, and their mid-range sounds dull, plus they are very colored. With that being said, you could upgrade the electronics all day long and you will never be able to improve it over what something like a Denon AVR4311 or Integra 80.3 could do. Go with some of the speakers that I listed above, and I can promise you that if you do that, you will thank me later!
post #12 of 16 Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi

I've checked the Marantz Pre Pro but a friend of mine told me my Pioneer SC-LX90 is way better, better performance and more power.
I even tought the Marantz Pre Pro was in the League of the Denon AVP-A1HDA and Denon POA-A1HD, but according to reviews it's not even close.
Might want to visit the 8801 thread there are owners that had all the previous gear you mentioned that are happy with the 8801 but keep in mind nothing is perfect if they ever come close it will be the product with the highest thread count and probably backordered constantly.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-20-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi

If I were you I wouldn't take advice from that friend anymore the 8801 is a preamp /processor and has no amps on board, you can add as much power as you want wink.gif

And as the post above states there are former Denon AVP-A1HDA owners that have switched to an 8801 that are happy.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

People who had Denon AVP-A1HDA changed to Marantz?

Denon is High End, and Marantz is much cheaper...different machines in every way.... Doesn't make much sense in my opinion.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-24-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

People who had Denon AVP-A1HDA changed to Marantz?

Denon is High End, and Marantz is much cheaper...different machines in every way.... Doesn't make much sense in my opinion.
You may want to visit the 8801 thread and look at the Marantz website plus a few other forums ,the Marantz 8801 is in the spotlight currently for both quality and sound.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-24-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 396
No need to change, that elite has great power and more than many amps. I would suggest switching to either la scala or Danley and keep the AVR.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Klipsch Rf7ii Reference Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker Black B Stock , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Sw 115 Front Firing Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page