2311ci setup question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon 2311ci that i had been using for my theater setup. I replaced it with a Marantz separate system several months back. I want to use the 2311ci to run (2) pairs of outdoor speakers (KEF Ventura 6 rated at 6ohms). I hooked it up and during recent use, the AVR is running very hot and has shut off a few times.
I have since picked up an external amp in an attempt to help alleviate some of the load that the 2311 was carrying and using it now only as a pre. I have an Apple TV hooked up, via HDMI, to stream music to the outside speakers. After hooking up the external amp, however, and trying to run it through the Zone 2 preout config, this will not work anymore. Is there any other setups that will allow me to still use the Apple TV to stream music, via the HDMI input, and output to an external amp to drive these speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
How are you wiring speakers to the AVR (without amp)? It should not go into protection mode.

You're going to need to convert the digital signal to analog between Apple TV and receiver. The 2311 will not allow a digital input to be routed to Zone 2. Check monoprice for converters, should be about $30.

But wait - there's more. Just so you know, the 2311 preamp output volume is line level, you will not be able to adjust this independently. If this is an issue maybe an external DAC with volume control is warranted.

I'd figure out your wiring issue that is causing overheating and stick with zone 1.

post #3 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

I initially had both pairs hooked into same main front R/L posts. I then tried putting one pair on main post and then the other pair on the surround post and running the signal in "multi ch stereo". Still ran pretty hot but i didn't run it long enough in that setup to see if it would kick off. Picked up the Parasound and figured it would be more efficient running the pair given the 6 ohm rating.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 1399
No wonder it "kicked off" with both pairs connected to the FL/FR speaker posts as the AVR saw that as (4) 3-ohm speakers and is only designed to power 6-8 ohm speakers. Connected as FL/FR and SL/SR the 2311CI shouldn't have any issue at all.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, appreciate the input. Would you anticipate any of the sound being "off" with using the receiver trying to decode the signals into 'multi ch stereo' setting?
post #6 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 1399
Off in what way ... it should sound like 2 sets of stereo speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 9 Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

in another conversation, someone speculated that because the sound would be "split up" according to what the receiver thinks needs to be distributed to each of the speakers in "multi ch stereo" setting, that there may be some peculiar sound dynamics at time versus a simple "stereo" setting.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Multi-channel stereo setting just sends the same signal that is going to front speakers (L & R) to the surrounds. Center channel is the only odd duck, it gets a mixture of both L and R. You should be fine with this setup. Give it a try. Looks like you can save some money by returning the amp!

post #9 of 9 Old 07-16-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

All comments and help have been most appreciated! Going to switch around the setup and put it through a bit of a workout today!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page