New 5.1 audio build - $1500-$2000 budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-15-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am moving into a new home in a week so I want to start gathering equipment as I see deals come by. It looks like I missed a lot of good ones over the 4th but it is what it is.

I am putting this audio system in a dedicated theater room. It is a small perfect rectangle room, 14'5" x 10'5". It is on the second floor of the house, I think the ceilings are 10' high.

As I stated in the title, my budget is around $1500 but depending on what deals come up I am willing to pay extra for some really nice equipment.

I will be using this system for everything, movies, music, video games, sports, regular tv but I want to tailor the system towards movies/sports.

I currently have a Denon 1213 receiver and the energy take classic 5.1. I'm not happy with it at all and as of last week the receiver started shutting off for no reason. I looked up the issue and it appears one of the channels has gone out. I don't know if it is just me but it seems like the volume had been fading in the last month. I will probably have to take the receiver in for repairs and will make this a system for my living room.

So... I want a system that is going to be a step up from what I currently have. I have been looking around and finding some interesting picks on the site but unfortunately a lot of the advice is outdated and irrelevant already as far as good deals.

I'm seeing nice subs like the PL200 or the Klipsch RW-12d (was $300 something now $1000 on newegg, not cool).

I saw some infinity primus speakers on here the other day that looked decent.

For receivers I was really into the pioneer SC-1222 K for $599 but now I can't find a good deal on it.

I know this is the receiver thread but that is what I want to buy immediately! Mine is pissing me off at home and I want something I can use now while I'm getting the Denon fixed. The rest of the equipment I am willing to wait a month or so as deals come up. I have the take classic set up I can use in the mean time.

Thanks in advance guys.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-15-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by coberling View Post

I am moving into a new home in a week so I want to start gathering equipment as I see deals come by. It looks like I missed a lot of good ones over the 4th but it is what it is.

I am putting this audio system in a dedicated theater room. It is a small perfect rectangle room, 14'5" x 10'5". It is on the second floor of the house, I think the ceilings are 10' high.

As I stated in the title, my budget is around $1500 but depending on what deals come up I am willing to pay extra for some really nice equipment.

I will be using this system for everything, movies, music, video games, sports, regular tv but I want to tailor the system towards movies/sports.

I currently have a Denon 1213 receiver and the energy take classic 5.1. I'm not happy with it at all and as of last week the receiver started shutting off for no reason. I looked up the issue and it appears one of the channels has gone out. I don't know if it is just me but it seems like the volume had been fading in the last month. I will probably have to take the receiver in for repairs and will make this a system for my living room.

So... I want a system that is going to be a step up from what I currently have. I have been looking around and finding some interesting picks on the site but unfortunately a lot of the advice is outdated and irrelevant already as far as good deals.

I'm seeing nice subs like the PL200 or the Klipsch RW-12d (was $300 something now $1000 on newegg, not cool).

I saw some infinity primus speakers on here the other day that looked decent.

For receivers I was really into the pioneer SC-1222 K for $599 but now I can't find a good deal on it.

I know this is the receiver thread but that is what I want to buy immediately! Mine is pissing me off at home and I want something I can use now while I'm getting the Denon fixed. The rest of the equipment I am willing to wait a month or so as deals come up. I have the take classic set up I can use in the mean time.

Thanks in advance guys.

-Chris

I have about the exact same room size (in terms of volume) with some Primus P162's and a PC350 center and it fills the room quite nicely.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1285022/opinions-on-speakers-for-an-11x17-room-please

Infinity has renumbered the speakers with a slight color change and now they are the P163 and PC163.

http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/primus.html

After having a Pioneer I switched to a Denon with Audyssey MultEQ and I have been totally pleased with it. Personally, I would recommend a Denon (other brand) that has at least Audyssey MultEQ.

Finally, you can get a nice HSU, Rythmik, Outlaw, etc. Internet Direct (ID) to complete the system and still meet your budget.

This is just one possible series of suggestions.

Something like some Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's might also work well, although they would bump up your budget a bit.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/purchase/advisor.mv#bottom

One advantage to having a smaller room is that you don't need a lot of huge speakers to fill it well.

There are certainly a variety of options out there. Good luck, have fun and enjoy your new system!

Also, if your Energy Take system is working, you might be able to sell it on eBay for $200-$300.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page