Zone 2 HDMI and Audio Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question regarding a proposed setup I want to run.

I want to be able to take my TV and move it from one room to an outdoor covered breezeway when I want it there. I already have a Sonos Connect Amp in the room with the TV that is powering a set of outdoor speakers in the breezeway. I'd like to get a receiver with a 2nd zone HDMI that I could run outdoors and a second zone RCA output that I could run to the Sonos box line in.

I was considering getting a Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver but my question is will it pass the HDMI audio through the analog zone 2 or 3 pre-outs out do I need to step up to something like the Denon AVR-3313CI to make that happen? I have a Direct TV Genie box in the room that only has HDMI or digital audio outs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-15-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

And if it matters when I am playing the zone two audio to the source outside I would not really expect to be playing anything in the bedroom so if it would work playing the same audio source as zone 1 that would be perfectly fine with me.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
Even when using the 3313CI Zone 2 HDMI you still have the Zone 2 limitation of not being able to pass digital audio to the Zone 2 pre-outs, rather you would have to use the TV speakers or connect to another AVR that could power the breezeway speakers. Now the new X3000 has both a Zone 2 HDMI and has an All Zone Stereo setting in which you could pass the HDMI audio playing in the main zone to Zone 2 via the Zone 2 pre-outs. Also if you call Craig at AVS Sales, you can likely get the new X3000 for the same price you would have paid for the 3313CI. Review post #2 of the 2013 Denon AVR-E/X Models thread linked in my sig for more information on features of the different models.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 5 Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You cannot pass HDMI inputs to Zone 2. You could get an optical to RCA converter, and plug that into the same port as the HDMI cable on your Onkyo. Here's some from Amazon. You probably want to get the ones that support a 5.1 signal, but if you're only playing stereo, then this one from Monoprice will work.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not sure I want to step up to the X3000 for what is essentially a bedroom receiver.

The optical to RCA converter is a good idea. I'm assuming the direct TV box can output both HDMI and Coaxial Digital audio at the same time so I don't have to switch cables or audio settings each time I want to use it.

If that's the case my best bet may be to buy the adapter and bypass the receiver all together. Just run the digital output on the direct TV box to the adapter and then directly to the Sonos box which has a built in amp.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page