Multi-Room woes, Harman Kardon AVS435 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

My parents have a Harman Kardon AVS 435 running their multi-room system in their house. It worked great for a few years. One day, whenever you turned it on, a terrible screeching sound came from the speakers. Couldn't get music to play, couldn't get the screeching to stop. Then, one day, the screeching stopped, but music still won't play.

I have been trying to help them with this, but I am in way over my head. I checked the "brain" down in their basement. Way over my head. I say a panel with two lights: one was green and lit up and the word next to it was "STAT". The other light was red, not lit, and had "IR" next to it.

It's an A-BUS set up.

The speakers will pop when the volume knobs are toggled in different rooms. If I unplug the AVS435 and plug it back in, it starts up in standby mode and the speakers hum until I fully power the unit on.

So. I have no idea if the issue is with the Harman, or if it is something going on amidst all the wires down in their basement.

Thanks

brianhanson1971@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It sound to me like the receiver has blown a capacitor or transformer. I would take it in to a repair shop.

Also, there's no need to write your email address on your post unless you're trying to attract spam and scams.

post #3 of 4 Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Firstly, unplug the A-Bus connector on the back of the AVR435...
Does the AVR operate properly for its own functions such as FM tuner?
Yes? No?
If Yes, then the AVR is OK and the problem is in the CAT5 powered A-Bus system.
If No, then the AVR has an internal problem.

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #4 of 4 Old 12-23-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay...thought I would give an update. Came back to visit the parents again (now xmas 2013). Took another shot at this issue. Figured out how to get the on screen display function to work with the TV. Went through all the settings. One of the settings under MULTI-ROOM labelled SB AMPS was set to MAIN instead of MULTI. Changed the setting. Viola. Really? That's what the issue was? It works now. Still don't know what the loud screeching sound was. Have no idea how that setting got changed (my mom getting frustrated and hitting every button on the remote)? Anyway, thanks for the ideas. Glad, after so much time, it is finally working for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page