Bi-amping my klipsch rf-52 and onkyo amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently added the onkyo 9 channel amp to my system. I had an extra pair of amp channels after wiring my 7.1 so I've decided to try bi-amping my front klipsch rf-52's

If I understand all I have read my setup is a passive bi-amp as I have y'd out my fronts to the standard front channel and additional open channel on my amp. Front channel goes to higher terminal on klipsch and second channel to bottom terminals or my midrange.

Since I've never really listened to a speaker that way I played around a little and pulled out the RCA input for the mids and it just sounded weird. Like I was listening to my iPod through headphones in the front of the room. Basically not much there. When I plugged in the mids I had obviously a full speaker but don't really know if there is much different from the non bi-amp application.

Guess I'm just looking for some expectations if any are out there

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 134
First, to Bi-amp the speakers, the jumper or metal bar connecting the HF and LF must be removed. Passive Bi-amping may allow better XO performance of the speakers. I have tried passive vertical, and horizontal bi-amping and no major benefit heard. Using a active xo is better but has a descent learning curve to get things right. To try will not make the sound worse and YYMV.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #3 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

The connecting bracket as you will has already been removed. Just wasn't real sure what I should be expecting sound wise
post #4 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

What kind of active xo would be preferred in a home setup. Most of what I see online are titled car audio. Is there anything different to consider when buying one

I've got another set of sapphire towers that I kind of built into the cabinet Maybe ill hook those up instead of the klipsch. Any thoughts?
post #5 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what is available but, something like a Berhiger I Nuke 3000 DSP if your avr has preouts. I think the yield on bi-amping the RF 52's will be small for the effort. I don't see many people bi-amping their Reference series speakers on the Klipsch forum. The RF 52's sound great, do you feel you are missing something?

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

post #6 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure what's missing. I have a height restriction so I went with the 52s. I also had some kind of budget

Between the 906 preamp and now the 5500 amp I feel I have the power I need just really feel like the umps is missing. Only using one sub sunfire arch series I believe. I may swap with an older velodyne just to see if that does it. Just don't have wow factor I guess. Maybe its not there with current equipment I don't know.

Thank you for your replys
post #7 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

So I swapped subs. Played opening scene of swordfish. Might be on to something. Didn't change fronts yet will have to play around a little.

Again if anyone has suggestions with 906 onkyo setup I'm all ears

Thanks again
post #8 of 8 Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

For home theater, a good sub makes more difference than anything else. That is where the wow factor comes from. Setting all the speakers to small and xo at 80 hz will direct all the deep bass to the sub. You can also run you Sunfire sub. Put the biggest sub at a distance and the weaker sub close to the listening spot. With the avr sub level at 0, level match the two subs to 75 db. You will have to set one sub and turn off the other to do it. Then re-run autocalibration! This will add up to 3 db. on the sub output and even out the bass in the room.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Klipsch Reference Series Rf 52

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page