TX-SR705 + Energy V5.2C barely intelligible dialog. Tried with friend's TX-NR807 and significant improvement! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am confused by my situation.

I expected the TX-SR705 with an Energy Veritas V5.2C center (similar to RC-LCR) to have great dialog.

However when testing with (for example) "The Dark Knight" 12 minutes in, when Bruce and Alfred discuss with each other underground in a cement-walled room, I could barely understand what they were saying at times.

The dialog is muddy, and I hear slight distortion (a low frequency buzzy-static like sound) when some actors speak around a certain frequency. Low female voices seem to produce it the most. I have volume at 60% of maximum (60 on the receiver's absolute scale).

So I brought my source (a "The Dark Knight" DVD) to a friend's house and plugged my center into his TX-NR807 and there was a significant improvement.

Could my TX-SR705 be damaged? Is there a significant improvement from the 705 to the 807? I was under the impression that the sound quality was very similar between these two receivers.

Is there some other possibility that I'm not thinking of?

Basically what I want to know is: Should I expect a V5.2C (or RC-LCR) center with a TX-SR705 to produce clear dialog? Am I maybe underpowering this speaker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-18-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
The TX-SR705 and NR807 both use Audyssey MultEQ XT so as long as they are both calibrated properly, should sound similar.

Now going from your house to your buddies house the rooms have different acoustics so there could definitely be a difference.

And it is also possible your SR705 is damaged.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page