Trying to decide on a Processor... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Onkyo TX-SR875 that I'm using as a preamp to a 7 channel amp. I'm considering upgrading to something a little higher end. I'm leaning towards a Integra DHC-80.2. It looks like it's probably the highest quality unit with a good feature set in my price range. Audyssey MultiEQ Xt32 being one of the features attracting me to upgrade in the first place.

However, 1 things bothers me about it... it doesn't pass 4k, and though no 4k source exists now, If i'm buying a processor, it would be nice if it was future-proof. My research indicates the 80.3 doesn't pass it either, even though it upscales. currently, only the Marantz AV8801 does it, but that's way outside my budget.

I noticed all the new Onkyo Receivers have the newest bells and whistles, XT32, and 4K support... with a pricetag of half that of an Intengra.

So here's my question: Is there a quality loss from using a top-level Onkyo Receiver as a pre-amp VS a true Processor? Would I be better off saving some money, losing the 'prestige' of an integra, but gaining all the latest features/4K support for the future?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
You shouldnt worry about 4k until after hdmi spec 2.0 is finalized and products start shipping with hardware in compliance with the new spec. Probably 12 months or so away.

There is no problem using an avr as a preamp and often times it is better budget wise to do so. Avr's generally come very well equipped at lower price points then comparable dedicated prepros. I'd look real hard at the denon x4000 to use as a prepro.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page