The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 2990 Old 09-19-2014, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
There's no problem using the external amp to power the FL/C/FR speakers but you do NOT want to connect the matching speaker posts on the AVR to the same speakers as well as doing so could cause damage.
Should I try out bi amp, I will use the external amp for the FL/C/FR and use pre-out with SR7008, and use SR7008 for the rear channels. And in Amp Assign, use 5.1ch(Bi-Amp) mode.
Is above correct?

Thank you very much JD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2990 Old 09-19-2014, 10:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
^^
That is correct. No problem if you set [AMP ASSIGN = 5.1/Bi-amp + Zone 2] and you use the Surr Back speaker posts to connect to the 2nd set of speaker posts on the FL/FR speakers (be sure to remove bar connecting both sets of speaker posts first though), although not likely to be beneficial.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2973 of 2990 Old 09-19-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
^^
That is correct. No problem if you set [AMP ASSIGN = 5.1/Bi-amp + Zone 2] and you use the Surr Back speaker posts to connect to the 2nd set of speaker posts on the FL/FR speakers (be sure to remove bar connecting both sets of speaker posts first though), although not likely to be beneficial.
I thought I just use channel 1 for HF and channel 2 for LF for the FL on the external amp, and use pre-out on the SR7008, and so on for the FR and C. The external amp is Classe CAV-150.
I will then use SR7008's Surround post for the two rear channels. Please correct me!

Thank you very much JD
post #2974 of 2990 Old 09-19-2014, 12:06 PM
585-645-1006

^^
So then, you want to use the external amp for all but your "side" surrounds (what you call rears) which you would use the SURROUND speaker posts on the AVR. Correct.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #2975 of 2990 Old 09-20-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
^^
So then, you want to use the external amp for all but your "side" surrounds (what you call rears) which you would use the SURROUND speaker posts on the AVR. Correct.
Thank you JD!

The CAV-150 can be bridged from 6 channels to 3 channels, so I thought to use the bridged 3 for the FL/C/FR, and use pre-out on SR7008, and put the surround on SR7008.
However, I don't know how to connect ML SL3 to the amp in bridged mode...
Perhaps it's better to leave everything as it is, and add more speakers in the near future.

I appreciate your time. Have a good weekend.
post #2976 of 2990 Old 09-20-2014, 12:04 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Adding more power isn't going to provide any benefit if the speakers don't need to use the extra power (ie. loud movie reference volume). Keeping your current configuration is likely your best option.

"JD" –

post #2977 of 2990 Old 09-20-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
^^
Adding more power isn't going to provide any benefit if the speakers don't need to use the extra power (ie. loud movie reference volume). Keeping your current configuration is likely your best option.
You working hard JD! It's 9 in the morning here in Europe.

I shall listen to your advise, and stop reading the bloody bi-amp thing.
Thank you JD, as always!
post #2978 of 2990 Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saturday I bought a Marantz 5008 second for a very reduced price (300 euro). Yesterday i connected the the device and the sound is amazing. One question dough, i use spotify a lot for new music. I think the build in app is not that great. And the 5008 does not has bluetooth connectivity. So my question is, what is the best way to connect to spotify.

- Use the build in app..

- Buy a bluetooth connector (for the marantz it is very expensive), what is the difference between the one marantz sells and a cheap one ? (For Marantz is more than 120 euro's !)

- Connect a small pc (which i still have) to my Marantz and play with an app like Spotimode.

- Use my Chromecast for google music or spotify...

Thanks... Frank
post #2979 of 2990 Old Today, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bijlard View Post
Saturday I bought a Marantz 5008 second for a very reduced price (300 euro). Yesterday i connected the the device and the sound is amazing. One question dough, i use spotify a lot for new music. I think the build in app is not that great. And the 5008 does not has bluetooth connectivity. So my question is, what is the best way to connect to spotify.

- Use the build in app..

- Buy a bluetooth connector (for the marantz it is very expensive), what is the difference between the one marantz sells and a cheap one ? (For Marantz is more than 120 euro's !)

- Connect a small pc (which i still have) to my Marantz and play with an app like Spotimode.

- Use my Chromecast for google music or spotify...

Thanks... Frank
Hi Frank,

Welcome to AVS!

If you can connect your SR5008 to the home router via hard wire (wireless connection is less reliable), you should be able to stream across to it using Spotify connect app on the mobile phone or tablet. Your receiver, router and mobile device must be on the same network.

I have the bottom end Marantz receiver for 2013 (NR-1504) and using the iPad with Spotify app, able to stream via the network.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2980 of 2990 Old Today, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Greetings! - intermitten pause when on headphones on SR5008

Hi Guys, new to this forum. I am a new owner for the SR5008 and indeed, the sound is pretty decent! (I got the Denon AVR X3000 initially but got it changed as I did not have the depth to properly sit the AVR)

Even as the the X3000 has more features(neo x, front wide speakers,etc) , the sound from the marantz is detailed.

I am using it mainly for my bedroom so I do not need a loud setup. I guess the Marantz really suited my needs. I could hear the details without pumping up the volume late at night.

I have 1 issue though, whenever I watch TV (via my cable set top box with HDMI input) the sound is good, but when I plug in my Sennheiser wireless headsets (RS180) via the front headphone Jack, there will be an intermitten very short pause in the audio every 2 minutes, when I am watching movie channels (Fox movies) with dolby output.

I have tried to solve the issue by doing as much changes to the setting as possible but to no avail.
  1. tried with my normal wired earphones, same issue
  2. changed the audio type, (stereo, virtual, direct), same issue
  3. changed the settings within the audio settings tab, same issue
  4. changed the settings from my cable TV set top box (between surround and stereo modes), same issue
  5. Tried swapping the HDMI cables around, same issue
I really do not know what else may be the problem. I wanted to check with you guys before I bring the set back again, which is quite a hassle. And I am not sure if this can be justified as an issue. the pause is once every 2 minutes appx. (believe me, it is happening every time until I got a stop watch to time it!) The pause is very short, but then again, it destroys the experience having to hear it all the time. Sound is still great!

Having said tat, I did not notice the issue when I was using the AVR X3000 for a couple of days before I changed it to the Marantz.

As mentioned, during normal listening with the speakers, its all good across all functions, sources. The problem is with headphones on my cable tv channels that has dolby surround mode.

I do not have a DVD player and am not intending to install 1 soon. So I am only using 3 inputs, (Cable TV, Computer (HTPC) and xbox, all are on HDMI connection and I did not encounter any issues like this. even when watching cable tv, the normal channels are fine on my headphones, only with channels that are on dolby surrond then I have the pause.

If i plan to use the earphones for a while, I was recommended to a dedicated headphone amp to be connected to the pre outs of the AVR. will this solve the problem?

Last edited by sam4246; Today at 04:00 AM.
post #2981 of 2990 Old Today, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Hi Frank,

Welcome to AVS!

If you can connect your SR5008 to the home router via hard wire (wireless connection is less reliable), you should be able to stream across to it using Spotify connect app on the mobile phone or tablet. Your receiver, router and mobile device must be on the same network.

I have the bottom end Marantz receiver for 2013 (NR-1504) and using the iPad with Spotify app, able to stream via the network.
Thanks for your reply Steve, i will try that out...
post #2982 of 2990 Old Today, 04:15 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam4246 View Post
If i plan to use the earphones for a while, I was recommended to a dedicated headphone amp to be connected to the pre outs of the AVR. will this solve the problem?
Possibly, but as another test you can also try connecting the RS-180's to the pre-outs as well.

"JD" –

post #2983 of 2990 Old Today, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey Guys, the Marantz SR5008 is currently on sale for 518 at Amazon! Sounds like a good deal to me!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B00...?tag=tbprod-20
post #2984 of 2990 Old Today, 11:12 AM

Are there various models of the SR5008 ? I do not have an Spotify Icon in the network options menu (as described in the manual). Only Flickr, Last FM and Internetradio. I Checked if the latest firmware is installed and it is.. And @ Steve, how do you select the option with spotify connect as you described ? I bought the unit second hand and i feel a bit sad because i think i did a bad deal...

Thanks again....
post #2985 of 2990 Old Today, 11:55 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Spotify Connect is a feature only offered on the new 2014 models, while the USA SR5008 comes with the on board Spotify program that you log on to via the AVR.

"JD" –

post #2986 of 2990 Old Today, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Been using a Denon 2310ci for a while but it was on its last leg so decided I wanted to upgrade. Decided to sit out the whole HDMI 2.x, ATMOS upgrade and settled on a closeout deal on a Marantz SR7008. I have a 7.1 setup and using 5 pre-outs to an unused Sherbourn 5/1500a amp I had laying around collecting dust in my rack. I have a dedicated room and the sound of the 7008 is fantastic to me! so much better than the 2310ci...The biggest improvement is probably due to the MultEQ X32 as opposed to just MultEQ. I did have to bump the sub up +5db (-7.5db to -2.5db) to get the LFE back the way I like it after running Audyssey. So far the setting that has intrigued me the most is the Dynamic Volume 'Light' setting. I know its been discussed before & a lot of folks don't like it (and I understand the principal behind it) - it does indeed tend to make dialog sound clearer at lower volume levels (when the wife is watching) but my initial impression of the LFE is my ears can't tell the difference between 'Light' and 'Off' during loud passages. Have to experiment more but I kind of 'like' it...

jidelite
post #2987 of 2990 Old Today, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs down SR6008 problems

Hey everyone,

I've had my SR6008 for a couple months now, and generally I'm very happy with it. But I have two problems that keep recurring, and they're both quite annoying. Some background first. I'm using the receiver mostly to switch between 3 HDMI sources: an Apple TV, a PS3, and my SA8000 PVR. (Though I also have a DVD player (HDMI) and turntable hooked up.) My receiver is connected to my TV via HDMI. I typically just use passthrough, and don't alter the video signal. (See why I said "typically" below.)

The two problems:

1) When switching to the PS3, it almost always happens that I don't see the PS3 output on the screen. If I choose Info, Option, or Setup on the receiver's remote, nothing happens. If I physically go turn the dial on the receiver to a different input, then turn the dial back to PS3, then I get picture and sound back, and everything works fine. This is very frustrating, especially because it's typically the kids that use the PS3, and they scream for help when it doesn't work.

2) When I choose the PVR input, the picture looks hazy. It's hard to describe. It's like someone placed a big piece of thin tracing paper over the whole screen. I can get this problem to go away by choosing Setup and playing around with picture settings for a while (like turning on video upconversion or whatever). Then I exit Setup and see if the problem is fixed. If not, I got back to Setup and play around some more. I can play with the settings, and then restore them back to how they used to be, and the problem will be fixed. I have not found a reliable way to fix this haziness issue.

Any ideas?

henning
post #2988 of 2990 Old Today, 01:52 PM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Set "Deep Color Output" setting on the PS3 to OFF.
2. Set i/p Scaler on the AVR for the PVR input to OFF.

"JD" –

post #2989 of 2990 Old Today, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
^^
1. Set "Deep Color Output" setting on the PS3 to OFF.
2. Set i/p Scaler on the AVR for the PVR input to OFF.
I'll give that a try, thanks!
post #2990 of 2990 Old Today, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bijlard View Post
Are there various models of the SR5008 ? I do not have an Spotify Icon in the network options menu (as described in the manual). Only Flickr, Last FM and Internetradio. I Checked if the latest firmware is installed and it is.. And @ Steve, how do you select the option with spotify connect as you described ? I bought the unit second hand and i feel a bit sad because i think i did a bad deal...

Thanks again....
You'll need to have the Spotify app on your mobile device.

The mobile device, Marantz SR5008 needs to be on the same network. I.e. somehow connected to the router.

On your mobile device such as iPhone, using the thumb - flick up from the bottom of the screen and there should be a square with a triangle in it. This is called Airplay icon and touch it. It will provide a list of speakers that it can stream to. One of them should be your Marantz SR5008. Select it. Using the music app, play a tune from the device - it should stream to the SR5008. This confirms that Airplay works.

Run the Spotify app on the mobile device. Activate your playlist. It should be playing through the mobile device speakers. At the bottom left hand corner of the Spotify app you'll see the a square with a triangle in it - this is the Airplay icon. Touch it to bring up available speakers that it can stream to. One of them should be your Marantz SR5008. Select it. You should be able to hear Spotify through the SR5008.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G

Last edited by steveting99; Today at 05:37 PM. Reason: typo
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread - Sr5008 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page