The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 3172 Old 11-16-2014, 03:21 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
^^
IIRC, some members have been able to resolve the low network volume issue by very quickly raising and lowering the volume level on the wireless device (if being streamed from a wireless device) otherwise warranty repair will be required if a "network reset" (pressing/holding the Preset CH + / Preset CH - (5008, 5009) or MOVIE/MUSIC (7008) buttons while powering on the AVR) doesn't resolve the issue. Not sure if reloading the firmware will resolve the issue but this would only be possible if using a European model as Marantz USA does not currently provide the firmware via download.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3172 Old 11-16-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSnewbie123 View Post
Hi,

Could someone please comment about the issue of extremely low volume with Network sources (internet radio, media server, USB player, DLNA).

Another funny thing I noticed is, that some of the files from the NAS still sound normal, but most of the files come out extremely low??? I figured out that only lossless files 96 kHz and 192khz play normally, while 44,1khz FLACs, mp3s, internet radio etc. come out with low volume (i.e. 44.1khz at 0db sound aprox. as loud as 96khz at -40db). This was not the case before yesterday.

I tried preset+/- and Power button reset, but it did not work.

Could the router have something to do with this? ...
I've noticed that engaging Audyssey with Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume vs. playing DIRECT/PURE DIRECT has the greatest impact on volume differences, though not the 40dB difference that you're describing.

Something else is causing the massive difference in SPL.

The app that you're using to stream files off the NAS, which one are you using?

Do you have a hand-held SPL meter as the popular radio shack type? You can store broadband pink noise tracks in various formats on the NAS. Play those pink noise tracks back, then measure the SPL via the meter and verify the differences.

Is your connection to router hardwired? This is the best connection method as there isn't a possibility of radio interference. The router wouldn't have the ability to adjust volume levels, so this is highly unlikely the source of the 40dB difference.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #3153 of 3172 Old 11-16-2014, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nagel View Post
so I bought a 5008 from A4L and am 99% happy with it. One issue. a few times I've put on WPTS out of Pittsburgh (over internet) and either walked away leaving it as background noise and/or fell asleep. When coming back it will be on WBCN or WRNR (which are other stations in my favorites list)

Does this happen if WPTS goes off the air for the night? Or is this an issue with my receiver?

Again, I'm in NoVA so I'm streaming these stations, not receiving them through my antenna (if I am listening to the radio OTA, my antenna is actually hooked to a Sangean HDT-1X, I don't use the tuner in the 5008.

thanks!
Revisiting a very old post. Never really got a satisfactory resolution to this issue, just lived with it.

I just installed a used Denon 3310ci for my girlfriend at her place and tried to stream WPTS on it. That stream is unusable on the Denon over her network. (the network card is brand new from Denon, before anyone mentions the network card issues. I thought I'd done my homework before purchasing, however, I did not find out about the widespread network card issues with this model until I got to hooking it up and found it NFG. Of course I tested it before purchase but because I was unaware of that specific issue I just did basic functionality checks and didn't bother trying to stream anything. Live and learn.)

What'll happen is that the stream will buffer, start playing, and then the buffer will drop like a rock, and the sound will cut out about when the buffer goes down to 20-30%. Then the Denon will hang for a good long while and eventually switch to the next station in its history. Other stations appear to be working fine.

I suspect that that is what was happening to my Marantz as well and that it isn't an actual problem with the receiver. However it did not happen so immediately with the Marantz, it took several hours rather than a few seconds.

I know that Denon and Marantz are the same company, is it safe to assume that they are using the same database of stream links for internet radio? Anyone know how I could go about trying to "fix" the WPTS stream or link?

The odd thing is this is only happening with these receivers, I haven't noticed nearly as many problems streaming with a laptop or tablet using e.g. iheartradio or a direct link from the station's web site. Obviously sound quality suffers (even more than usual!) when doing this however.

If it makes any difference, the Denon shows the bitrate on the screen and when I try to play WPTS it is a much higher bitrate than any other internet radio station I've found, over 250 kbps.
post #3154 of 3172 Old 11-16-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
I've noticed that engaging Audyssey with Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume vs. playing DIRECT/PURE DIRECT has the greatest impact on volume differences, though not the 40dB difference that you're describing.

Something else is causing the massive difference in SPL.

The app that you're using to stream files off the NAS, which one are you using?

Do you have a hand-held SPL meter as the popular radio shack type? You can store broadband pink noise tracks in various formats on the NAS. Play those pink noise tracks back, then measure the SPL via the meter and verify the differences.

Is your connection to router hardwired? This is the best connection method as there isn't a possibility of radio interference. The router wouldn't have the ability to adjust volume levels, so this is highly unlikely the source of the 40dB difference.

Steveting99,

Once again, thank you for reply!

I don't believe that Audyssey with Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume is causing the problems (Dynimic volume is OFF in my settings). The problem occurred when I tried streaming an *.mp3 file from my android phone (LG) using its standard music player. This worked without any issues many times before, although sometimes either phone or tablet had trouble "seeing" the SR5008 on the network.

At first, I thought that something was wrong with the connection, but raising the volume from moderate level to the maximum, revealed that the file was playing but the volume was extremely low.

After this, I realized that the volume problem was somehow transferred to other network sources: internet radio, media server (NAS), USB. For some reason, FLAC files with higher bitrate and wavelength above 44.1kHz play with normal volume through media server (files stored on the NAS).

I recently got a new router (CISCO) from the internet provider service, so I was wondering if it had anything to do with the problem.

I do not have an SPL meter. The SPL difference is audible and huge. The db I was talking about are related to the values written on the display of the unit. I used to set the volume in the range from -60db to -35db (on the units display). This range is still ok for each of the HDMI sources, tuner and high resolution FLACs on the NAS. However, I can hear below moderate level sound when I crank the volume to the maximum when playing USB, Network radio, NAS files etc.

Changing the reference level to -12db for HDMI sources and to +12db for Network, helps a bit, but the difference volume difference is still huge.

Since technically, everything plays, I believe its a software bug or some setting which I cannot find.

Both NAS and SR5008 are connected to the router with standard LAN cables. The connection is OK. Streaming is responsive. Only the volume is extremely low.

I found, here in this thread, that someone had reinstalled factory firmware using the USB method and solved this problem.

However, it is not clear whether I would lose warranty if I perform such an update. It is factory firmware, from the official Marantz support website, for the serial number of the unit.

I am open to advice.
post #3155 of 3172 Old 11-16-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
IIRC, some members have been able to resolve the low network volume issue by very quickly raising and lowering the volume level on the wireless device (if being streamed from a wireless device) otherwise warranty repair will be required if a "network reset" (pressing/holding the Preset CH + / Preset CH - (5008, 5009) or MOVIE/MUSIC (7008) buttons while powering on the AVR) doesn't resolve the issue. Not sure if reloading the firmware will resolve the issue but this would only be possible if using a European model as Marantz USA does not currently provide the firmware via download.
jdsmoothie,

Thanks for the answer.

I have tried lowering and raising the volume on during streaming from wireless connected phone and from the Marantz android app. The problem remains. I may try for a few more days to see what happens.

This is a European model, so the firmware is available for download. However, It is not clear to me whether I would void warranty if I do this. With my luck with this unit, I am going to be needing it!

I think it would be worth a try, before sending it to the shop again and waiting again for a month or two for it to be repaired.

Could doing the reset ( preset+/- and power reset ) for a few more times make any difference?

Should I try the Zone 2 +Power reset?

I am going easy on the resets since my SAVE/LOAD settings over IE11 failed.
post #3156 of 3172 Old 11-16-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hmmmm.... according to the Marantz website specs, the SR6009 (new Fall 2014 model) actually LOSES 2 dB in Signal-to-Noise Ratio to the previous incarnation, the SR6008. This would make the SR6008 a more desirable unit (and a bargain at current prices).

Could this be due to the Wireless and Bluetooth features? (pretty much the only thing added over the SR6008, and fairly useless IMHO).

Or is it maybe a typo?
post #3157 of 3172 Old 11-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Steveting99,

Once again, thank you for reply!

I don't believe that Audyssey with Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume is causing the problems (Dynimic volume is OFF in my settings). The problem occurred when I tried streaming an *.mp3 file from my android phone (LG) using its standard music player. This worked without any issues many times before, although sometimes either phone or tablet had trouble "seeing" the SR5008 on the network.

At first, I thought that something was wrong with the connection, but raising the volume from moderate level to the maximum, revealed that the file was playing but the volume was extremely low.

After this, I realized that the volume problem was somehow transferred to other network sources: internet radio, media server (NAS), USB. For some reason, FLAC files with higher bitrate and wavelength above 44.1kHz play with normal volume through media server (files stored on the NAS).

I do not have an SPL meter. The SPL difference is audible and huge. The db I was talking about are related to the values written on the display of the unit. I used to set the volume in the range from -60db to -35db (on the units display). This range is still ok for each of the HDMI sources, tuner and high resolution FLACs on the NAS. However, I can hear below moderate level sound when I crank the volume to the maximum when playing USB, Network radio, NAS files etc.

Changing the reference level to -12db for HDMI sources and to +12db for Network, helps a bit, but the difference volume difference is still huge....
So the problem appears only when using your mobile phone to stream to the SR5008? Streaming from the NAS is okay? Playing a CD is okay?

Do the broadband pink noise test to confirm what you're hearing is true.

An inexpensive SPL meter can be obtained at Amazon.uk website here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-6...re+level+meter

The test is to load broadband pink noise files in the formats that you have, i.e. FLAC, mp3, etc. at the bit rates that you normally listen to. Set the Main Volume to what you normally hear to. Play on the CD and check with SPL. Stream via NAS then check with SPL. Finally stream via the mobile phone and check with SPL. The SPL will verify what you're hearing is true.

Note the setting of the Main Volume for each test.

Quote:
...Since technically, everything plays, I believe its a software bug or some setting which I cannot find.

Both NAS and SR5008 are connected to the router with standard LAN cables. The connection is OK. Streaming is responsive. Only the volume is extremely low.

I found, here in this thread, that someone had reinstalled factory firmware using the USB method and solved this problem.

However, it is not clear whether I would lose warranty if I perform such an update. It is factory firmware, from the official Marantz support website, for the serial number of the unit.

I am open to advice.
Restoring to factory default settings should not void the warranty. jdsmoothie suggest 3 to 5 resets just to be sure.

Once the factory reset has been done, check the firmware if there's an up-date. The up-date is normally carried out through the network.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #3158 of 3172 Old 11-17-2014, 02:47 AM

Again, thanks for the answers.

Quote:
So the problem appears only when using your mobile phone to stream to the SR5008? Streaming from the NAS is okay? Playing a CD is okay?

The problem is there for all network sources, including NAS streaming, Internet radio and USB. For some reason, the volume was dumped drastically during phone streaming. All of these sources used to sound more or less equal with other sources, including phone streaming, before this occurred for no particular reason.
For some reason, the volume of higher bitrate FLAC files (more than 44.1khz) played using the Marantz interface come out with normal volume (as CD for example).
CD, TV, Cable, WDTVliveHub, 96kHz and 192kHz Flacs - sound as they did before.

Quote:
Do the broadband pink noise test to confirm what you're hearing is true.

An inexpensive SPL meter can be obtained at Amazon.uk website here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-6...re+level+meter

The test is to load broadband pink noise files in the formats that you have, i.e. FLAC, mp3, etc. at the bit rates that you normally listen to. Set the Main Volume to what you normally hear to. Play on the CD and check with SPL. Stream via NAS then check with SPL. Finally stream via the mobile phone and check with SPL. The SPL will verify what you're hearing is true.

Note the setting of the Main Volume for each test.

What I am hearing is true. OK. the SPL meter would give the "exact" value of what I am hearing, but the problem would still remain. Whether the volume difference is 30db or 40 db, it is more than the sound offset setting can compensate. Otherwise, the problem would not be there. I can hear moderate level sound with a hiss from the AMP in the background when I crank it to the MAX. With other sources, the sound is too loud when the volume is at 1/2.
SPL seems too timconsuming. I could make a video or something, play a few tracks with different bitrates through NAS and put it on a cloud?

Quote:
Restoring to factory default settings should not void the warranty. jdsmoothie suggest 3 to 5 resets just to be sure.

Once the factory reset has been done, check the firmware if there's an up-date. The up-date is normally carried out through the network.

OK. will try to restore to factory default. And Preset +/- and Power a few more times.
The system indicates that the latest firmware is already installed. However, someone on this forum had a similar problem, and had to reinstall the firmware using the USB method to fix it.

jdsmoothie suggested to play with the volume rocker on the phone while streaming. The volume problem may solve itself the way it appeared So far, this didn't work. But I decided to give it a try from time to time for a weak.

I am still confused if I would void warranty by reinstalling factory firmware via USB?

I can play the same files without any problems using WDTVLIVEHUB, with no difference in volume between any of the bitrates. However, I found the Marantz interface to be more responsive and preferred it over the WD until it failed with the volume output. Either way, the unit was made to play files over network, and this should work without such issues.

Open to other suggestions...

Last edited by AVSnewbie123; 11-17-2014 at 02:54 AM.
post #3159 of 3172 Old 11-17-2014, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is the 7008's remote unable to delete preset codes? I registered the code for Marantz CD players but I want to delete it now. I've tried all three delete methods in the manual but none have worked. It still remembers the code.

Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma TV (Calibrated with i1 Display 3 Pro Colorimeter), Ideal-Lume Bias Light
Oppo BDP-103, Sony PS3, Marantz CD5004
Marantz SR7008 9.2 AV Receiver, Polk Series II Monitor 70s Fronts, CS2 Center, 30s Surrounds/Backs, BIC America F12 Dual Subs
post #3160 of 3172 Old 11-17-2014, 04:10 AM
585-645-1006

^^
If the p. 222 instructions are not working properly, simply store an unused code over the existing code.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #3161 of 3172 Old 11-17-2014, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^ Thank you. Setting the code to 0000 is the same thing as deleting as it resets it to default.

Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma TV (Calibrated with i1 Display 3 Pro Colorimeter), Ideal-Lume Bias Light
Oppo BDP-103, Sony PS3, Marantz CD5004
Marantz SR7008 9.2 AV Receiver, Polk Series II Monitor 70s Fronts, CS2 Center, 30s Surrounds/Backs, BIC America F12 Dual Subs
post #3162 of 3172 Old 11-17-2014, 04:19 AM
585-645-1006

^^
There you go then. Same must also be done with radio stations ... ie. must be written over to change.

post #3163 of 3172 Old 11-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Again, thanks for the answers.

The problem is there for all network sources, including NAS streaming, Internet radio and USB. For some reason, the volume was dumped drastically during phone streaming. All of these sources used to sound more or less equal with other sources, including phone streaming, before this occurred for no particular reason.
For some reason, the volume of higher bitrate FLAC files (more than 44.1khz) played using the Marantz interface come out with normal volume (as CD for example).
CD, TV, Cable, WDTVliveHub, 96kHz and 192kHz Flacs - sound as they did before...
On your NAS, do you have a DLNA server enabled that can serve up the tunes to a DLNA renderer such as the SR5008? Check to see if the database is still there and is not corrupted. A re-build might be necessary if it is.

Is the DLNA server doing any on the fly trans-coding from the tunes native format to another?

What app are you using to stream from the phone to the SR5008? I'm using Android BubbleUPnP, it's free to try and worth paying to keep. It can read the tunes locally stored on the Android mobile as well as the NAS. With the ability to create on the fly playlists, I created one for the locally stored tunes on the mobile and another for the same tunes stored on the NAS.

Was able to stream the same tunes from both the mobile and NAS to the Marantz NR1504 at the same volume level - no difference. Verified using the pink noise files.

Was able to shuffle play, skip to the next song and scrub to a particular time stamp. The display on the NR1504 showed the song title. Volume control of the NR1504 is also available on the mobile.

I have the NAS, router and NR1504 hardwired connected. The android phone is connected via the wireless network.

Quote:
...What I am hearing is true. OK. the SPL meter would give the "exact" value of what I am hearing, but the problem would still remain. Whether the volume difference is 30db or 40 db, it is more than the sound offset setting can compensate. Otherwise, the problem would not be there. I can hear moderate level sound with a hiss from the AMP in the background when I crank it to the MAX. With other sources, the sound is too loud when the volume is at 1/2.
SPL seems too timconsuming. I could make a video or something, play a few tracks with different bitrates through NAS and put it on a cloud?..
The purpose of the pink noise test is verify Main Volume levels using a known good source. If you're hearing significant volume differences using the same source (40dB) then this should be very obvious.

Quote:
...OK. will try to restore to factory default. And Preset +/- and Power a few more times.
The system indicates that the latest firmware is already installed. However, someone on this forum had a similar problem, and had to reinstall the firmware using the USB method to fix it.

jdsmoothie suggested to play with the volume rocker on the phone while streaming. The volume problem may solve itself the way it appeared So far, this didn't work. But I decided to give it a try from time to time for a weak.

I am still confused if I would void warranty by reinstalling factory firmware via USB?

I can play the same files without any problems using WDTVLIVEHUB, with no difference in volume between any of the bitrates. However, I found the Marantz interface to be more responsive and preferred it over the WD until it failed with the volume output. Either way, the unit was made to play files over network, and this should work without such issues.

Open to other suggestions...
Be sure to carry out a LOAD/SAVE routine of all your settings onto the PC as outlined by jdsmoothie. Also try the network reset after restoring to factory default settings.

I'd check with Marantz EU if you want to go to factory default via the USB. Get email confirmation that this is okay in case something goes wrong and needs to be returned in for repair.

post #3164 of 3172 Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
On your NAS, do you have a DLNA server enabled that can serve up the tunes to a DLNA renderer such as the SR5008? Check to see if the database is still there and is not corrupted. A re-build might be necessary if it is.

Is the DLNA server doing any on the fly trans-coding from the tunes native format to another?
I didn't setup DLNA server. Everithing worked without setting this up, as soon as I plugged the LAN cable.

Quote:
What app are you using to stream from the phone to the SR5008? I'm using Android BubbleUPnP, it's free to try and worth paying to keep. It can read the tunes locally stored on the Android mobile as well as the NAS. With the ability to create on the fly playlists, I created one for the locally stored tunes on the mobile and another for the same tunes stored on the NAS.
I am using a default LG music player, and Samsung default music player with Samsung Allshare. The NAS and SR5008 are hardwired. Mobile devices use WiFi. Although, I did notice better connectivity with an ASUS router, whereas I had problems "seeing" SR5008 from mobile devices and periodical connection dropouts with CISCO router.

The same problem off low volume occurs when files are played directly through the USB port, not just mobile streaming and NETWORK sources.

Quote:
The purpose of the pink noise test is verify Main Volume levels using a known good source. If you're hearing significant volume differences using the same source (40dB) then this should be very obvious.
The volume difference is HUGE and very obvious, even without the pink noise test. If I find time, I may try the pinknoise test for the weekend just for fun - to see how off the network/USB volume actually is. Meanwhile, I will try what jdsmoothie suggested - fiddling with the phone volume while streaming to the SR5008. Hopefully, the volume issue will be fixed the same way it had started.
Eitherway, I will post the results.

Quote:
I'd check with Marantz EU if you want to go to factory default via the USB. Get email confirmation that this is okay in case something goes wrong and needs to be returned in for repair.

Wrote a mail. Lets see what they have to say about it.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers!
post #3165 of 3172 Old 11-18-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I didn't setup DLNA server. Everithing worked without setting this up, as soon as I plugged the LAN cable.

I am using a default LG music player, and Samsung default music player with Samsung Allshare. The NAS and SR5008 are hardwired. Mobile devices use WiFi. Although, I did notice better connectivity with an ASUS router, whereas I had problems "seeing" SR5008 from mobile devices and periodical connection dropouts with CISCO router.

The same problem off low volume occurs when files are played directly through the USB port, not just mobile streaming and NETWORK sources.

The volume difference is HUGE and very obvious, even without the pink noise test. If I find time, I may try the pinknoise test for the weekend just for fun - to see how off the network/USB volume actually is. Meanwhile, I will try what jdsmoothie suggested - fiddling with the phone volume while streaming to the SR5008. Hopefully, the volume issue will be fixed the same way it had started.
Eitherway, I will post the results.

Wrote a mail. Lets see what they have to say about it.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers!
AVSnewbie12,

Something doesn't look right in your setup. My understanding is that the Marantz SR5008 is a DLNA renderer. As such, to play music files from a source (i.e. NAS) it needs a DLNA server software to "serve up" the files to the DLNA renderer. One of your devices is acting as the DLNA server as the in-between the source and renderer.

Your setup isn't very clear as you've now mentioned additional devices such as the LG and Samsung. From a network point of view it's complicated with two routers connected to multiple devices with no clearly defined 'bridge' that would allow IP packets from one device to flow to another. This is probably the reason why sometimes, you cannot 'see' a device on the network.

Go back to basics.

You have identified some tunes that's causing drastic volume change. Burn these tunes + other good tunes onto a CD at the root directory. Make a copy onto a USB thumb drive root directory. Copy these same files onto a folder of the NAS. Turn ON your TV to see details of the tunes being played as well as for navigation purpose.

1. With your CD/universal blu-ray player connected via HDMI to the NR5008, select that as source and play the CD. Are the files playing correctly and do you notice drastic change in volume? This basic test should pass. Verify the tunes format, bit depth and sample rate on the TV.

2. Attach your thumb drive to the front of the SR5008. Select iPod/USB as the source. Note page 41 of the SR5008 owner's manual on what USB devices can be connected to the front of the SR5008. Then go to page 58 to check on the file formats compatible. Play these same files using the supplied Marantz remote. Are the files playing correctly and do you notice drastic change in volume? This is another basic test that should pass. Verify the tunes format, bit depth and sample rate on the TV as in step 1.

3. Select network on the SR5008 as the source. Page 72 of the owner's manual gives an outline of how to stream files from the NAS to the SR5008. With the TV and supplied Marantz remote, go to the NAS folder where you've stored the same tunes and see if you can stream the files to the SR5008. This may not work if your NAS does not have the DLNA server. It will indicate a network issue that needs further investigation.

post #3166 of 3172 Old 11-19-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
AVSnewbie12,

Something doesn't look right in your setup. My understanding is that the Marantz SR5008 is a DLNA renderer. As such, to play music files from a source (i.e. NAS) it needs a DLNA server software to "serve up" the files to the DLNA renderer. One of your devices is acting as the DLNA server as the in-between the source and renderer.

Your setup isn't very clear as you've now mentioned additional devices such as the LG and Samsung. From a network point of view it's complicated with two routers connected to multiple devices with no clearly defined 'bridge' that would allow IP packets from one device to flow to another. This is probably the reason why sometimes, you cannot 'see' a device on the network.

Go back to basics.

You have identified some tunes that's causing drastic volume change. Burn these tunes + other good tunes onto a CD at the root directory. Make a copy onto a USB thumb drive root directory. Copy these same files onto a folder of the NAS. Turn ON your TV to see details of the tunes being played as well as for navigation purpose.

1. With your CD/universal blu-ray player connected via HDMI to the NR5008, select that as source and play the CD. Are the files playing correctly and do you notice drastic change in volume? This basic test should pass. Verify the tunes format, bit depth and sample rate on the TV.

2. Attach your thumb drive to the front of the SR5008. Select iPod/USB as the source. Note page 41 of the SR5008 owner's manual on what USB devices can be connected to the front of the SR5008. Then go to page 58 to check on the file formats compatible. Play these same files using the supplied Marantz remote. Are the files playing correctly and do you notice drastic change in volume? This is another basic test that should pass. Verify the tunes format, bit depth and sample rate on the TV as in step 1.

3. Select network on the SR5008 as the source. Page 72 of the owner's manual gives an outline of how to stream files from the NAS to the SR5008. With the TV and supplied Marantz remote, go to the NAS folder where you've stored the same tunes and see if you can stream the files to the SR5008. This may not work if your NAS does not have the DLNA server. It will indicate a network issue that needs further investigation.

OK. I can see I was not clear. I have no problems whatsoever with the network, at the moment. All the devices connect without a problem. Operation is responsive etc.
The files are not corrupt since I have played the same files before with no problems.
I am not sure how Marantz reads files from the NAS, whether it is through DLNA or not it is not important. It could connect and play them out of the box, as soon as I hooked the LAN cable to it.

I have the SOLUTION to the Low Volume over Network and USB - provided by Marantz.de support:

1.* Turn the unit off
2.* Press and hold preset + and preset + and power again until the screen flashes.
3.* Reset to factory settings
4.* Skip the settings
5. Set the input to Internet radio
6. Power off
7. Press and hold "Preset -" and "Display" and while holding these two buttons, short press "power on". Wait... (as written on the display)
8. The sound volume over network and USB are normal again.

* Steps 1-4 may not be necessary (were not suggested by Marantz.de.) However, since it did not work for me, I decided to do these other two resets first, followed by steps 5-7.

If this fails, reinstalling the firmware via USB dongle method would be the next step.

Many thanks to steveting99 and jdhsmothie for support and helpful suggestions.

CHEERS!!!
post #3167 of 3172 Old 11-19-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey guys. i apologize for the noob question. i have the SR 5008 with Fronts BW 683s, Center BW CCM. i have it set up as 5.1 and used audyssey for setup. for some reason, i feel that the fronts are under utilized and i cant figure out why. i mostly watch sports on directv and blus on it, but esp when watching blus, i dont feel the BWs are giving me the juice that i expected. i can enter all my settings info if that would be helpful, but i watch it on Movie setting. what info would be helpful in trying to figure out my conundrum? i generally have the volume at ~60 when watching movies. thanks in advance!
post #3168 of 3172 Old 11-19-2014, 03:30 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Define "under utilized". They can only put out what is received from the source at the master volume you select. Have you tried raising the volume?

post #3169 of 3172 Old 11-19-2014, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Define "under utilized". They can only put out what is received from the source at the master volume you select. Have you tried raising the volume?
hey jd...well when i watch a blu (ie, most recent Bond, which when i saw at best buy on same speakers but lesser receiver, the fronts were loud and vibrant during action scenes, felt like theater sound quality) but now, it sounds distant and soft, not as vibrant as i expected. my assumption was it was the receiver settings, but cant figure out what. i have raised volume to 70s without a significant change.
post #3170 of 3172 Old 11-19-2014, 06:31 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Best Buy speakers have not been calibrated so they will likely sound much louder at the same master volume and even just a small db increase in volume will be discerned as better quality. Raise the volume to 80 if that isn't too loud for you. Do you have the FL/FR speakers set to either SMALL/60Hz or SMALL/80Hz? Did you use a mic boom stand or camera tripod to support the Audyssey mic? Did you keep all your mic positions within no more that 2' from the first mic position?

post #3171 of 3172 Old 11-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohajat112 View Post
hey jd...well when i watch a blu (ie, most recent Bond, which when i saw at best buy on same speakers but lesser receiver, the fronts were loud and vibrant during action scenes, felt like theater sound quality) but now, it sounds distant and soft, not as vibrant as i expected. my assumption was it was the receiver settings, but cant figure out what. i have raised volume to 70s without a significant change.
Hi lohajat112,

Your listening room is different from Best Buy's. Each individual's listening room is unique and impacts sound quality by a minimum of 50%. This is very apparent for frequencies below 300Hz where one starts to 'hear' the room more than the speakers.

What are your room dimensions? Front to back, side to side, floor to ceiling? The total room volume will affect the bass. Where is the Main Listening Position (MLP) in respect to the speakers and room?

Is the basic speaker setup correct with your front sound stage? Does the front left and right speakers form an equilateral triangle with the MLP? Is the center speaker directly in front of you at 0 deg and the pointed at your head? Generally all the tweeters should be pointed to your head. Where is the sub placed? You want to a have smooth bass at the MLP and minimize seat to seat variance.

Audyssey will try and make corrections for room anomalies, that is it's job - to equalize the room. But will struggle if the fundamentals are not there. Audyssey should be viewed as icing on the cake. Eating just the icing is not fulfilling as you're currently discovering with sound quality issues. You would need to ensure the cake is there before topping off with the icing. Then one can enjoy the entire experience.

Don't be afraid to experiment to improve sound quality. Moving speakers/subs and where you sit (MLP) doesn't cost you anything. Re-run Audyssey after each move and check the difference.

If you haven't done so, AVS member Keith Barnes has written a wonderful step-by-step guide on Audyssey here:"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) read up on it and go through the guide to ensure Audyssey can operate at it's best.

post #3172 of 3172 Old Yesterday, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I can't find info about the DAC chip inside sr7008, anyone know it? Also how sr7008 Network player compares to UD7007 or NA8005 sound quality?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread