The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 119 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3541 of 3548 Old 02-25-2015, 04:57 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3068 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
^^
Unless you have a 7.1 setup, it doesn't matter if AMP ASSIGN is set to Zone 2, however, the factory default setting is Main Only (7.1) as noted on p. 173 in your Owner's manual.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVS - We sell Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3548 Old 02-26-2015, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone first time poster but longtime reader. After reading through this thread I decided to pickup the sr7008. Still putting it through its trial period, but wanted to alert everyone of the great price that it going for. I went to my local Magnolia Design Center to look at the sr7009. The rep told me that the sr7008's are being clearance out for 899.00 NIB. They don't show that price on the website, but if you ask I'm sure they would tell you as much. I was all set to buy one when the rep told me that he had a customer return of the sr7008, that he would sell me for 799.00. Looked it over and everything was in the box so now I'm a proud new owner of the sr7008. Thought I would mention the price as this is the lowest I've seen it, and it beats the refurbish price on Accessories for Less.
post #3543 of 3548 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Liked: 0
Nothing beats finding a nice peace of kit at a bargain price! Now combine it with a good audiostreamer like bluesound and you will rediscover your musiclibrary!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3544 of 3548 Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Liked: 0
If somebody has a good suggestion to replace my ageing moviestreamer boxeebox just let me know 'cause everythong that I researched wasn't perfect or at least not worth the upgrade....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3545 of 3548 Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,

I have a Marantz SR-7008 receiver. Sometimes when watching Blu-ray movies with "Dolby True HD" soundtrack, the front LCD display on the receiver shows "Dolby Digital" instead. However if I check the A/V source info on my TV screen, it says the "Dolby True HD" audio track is selected. Similarly for Blu-ray movies with "DTS HD Master Audio", sometimes the receiver display says "DTS Surround" instead.

This does not happen on all movies. Sometimes the receiver actually displays "Dolby TrueHD", "DTS HD MSTR" or "DTS HD-MA" on its LCD display, which matches the source audio format.

So I wonder if the receiver sometimes fails to decode the original sound track format, so it down-converts it to another lower quality format? Is there anyone else that has experienced this?
post #3546 of 3548 Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3068 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
^^
The AVR is going to play what it is receiving so if you're only seeing DD/DTS on the front panel, that is what the unit is receiving. Ensure you have selected the HD audio sound track on the BD as it's not always the default.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVS - We sell Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #3547 of 3548 Old Today, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
The AVR is going to play what it is receiving so if you're only seeing DD/DTS on the front panel, that is what the unit is receiving. Ensure you have selected the HD audio sound track on the BD as it's not always the default.
Yes, I have selected the HD audio track on the BD-player. I checked it specifically by pressing the "Info" button on the TV remote, and then the audio and video stream properties gets overlayed in the TV image so I could confirm the selected stream formats.

So does this mean that the Marantz SR-7008 AVR is down-scaling the HD audio stream to a lossy format? Or could the Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S1200) do the downconversion despite indicating a HD lossless audio format being selected (and using HDMI 1.4 cable to the AVR)? And if so, what could be the reasons for that? Anything that can be done to fix it (e.g. by changing some setting)?

Last edited by Fjodor2000; Today at 03:29 AM.
post #3548 of 3548 Old Today, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Yes, I have selected the HD audio track on the BD-player. I checked it specifically by pressing the "Info" button on the TV remote, and then the audio and video stream properties gets overlayed in the TV image so I could confirm the selected stream formats.

So does this mean that the Marantz SR-7008 AVR is down-scaling the HD audio stream to a lossy format? Or could the Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S1200) do the downconversion despite indicating a HD lossless audio format being selected (and using HDMI 1.4 cable to the AVR)? And if so, what could be the reasons for that? Anything that can be done to fix it (e.g. by changing some setting)?
Ok, I solved it myself now!

It was a setting in the Sony BDP-S1200 Blu-ray player that caused it to not send lossless HD format to the Marantz SR-7008 AVR. This one to be specific:

"[BD Audio MIX Setting]
[On]: Outputs the audio obtained by
mixing the interactive and secondary
audio to the primary audio.
[Off]: Outputs the primary audio only.
Select this to output HD audio signals to
an AV amplifier (receiver).
"

If I set it to "Off", then the AVR receives and displays the lossless HD audio stream correctly. So now I also see e.g. "Dolby TrueHD" and "DTS-HD MSTR" on the AVR LCD display.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page