The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 123 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #3661 of 3665 Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Low volume SR 5008 with PSB T6

Hello experts,

I am newbie to AV world. Recently I have setup a small HT. That means to say, only centre and two tower speakers hooked up to SR 5008. My setup goes like this.

PSB T6 - PSB C5 - SR 5008- SUPRA Silver OFC cables

w.r.t bluray movies with DTS HD MA, I have to crank up volume all the way to 60 to hear good level of volume. I could hear decent level of sound above 50. But to get good punch , I have to go till 60. With DD, I have to go a little above 60.

But surprisingly, for Django unchained bluray, 35 - 40 seems to be enough !!! Django also had just DTS HD MA.

w.r.t audio CD, audio level of 50 seems to be good enough.

I hear people saying anywhere between 20-40 is fine.

Am i missing something here. I did Audyssey setup also. I tried switching off / on, dynamic mode on receiver. nothing helped so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3665 Old Today, 02:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3364 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
^^
Not sure where you're reading 20-40 is fine as average volume level for most is likely 40-60 as very little will be heard below 40.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #3663 of 3665 Old Today, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukuntharajaa View Post
Hello experts,

I am newbie to AV world. Recently I have setup a small HT. That means to say, only centre and two tower speakers hooked up to SR 5008. My setup goes like this.

PSB T6 - PSB C5 - SR 5008- SUPRA Silver OFC cables

w.r.t bluray movies with DTS HD MA, I have to crank up volume all the way to 60 to hear good level of volume. I could hear decent level of sound above 50. But to get good punch , I have to go till 60. With DD, I have to go a little above 60.

But surprisingly, for Django unchained bluray, 35 - 40 seems to be enough !!! Django also had just DTS HD MA.

w.r.t audio CD, audio level of 50 seems to be good enough.

I hear people saying anywhere between 20-40 is fine.

Am i missing something here. I did Audyssey setup also. I tried switching off / on, dynamic mode on receiver. nothing helped so far
Hi mukuntharajaa,

It very depends on your room and where your speakers are set up. Your PSB T6 speaker is has an in room sensitivity of 91dB/W/m, which is quite efficient. While the C5 has a sensitivity of 90dB/W/m.

That means with just one T5 speaker and if you're sitting just 1m away and supplying a single watt of power, the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) is 91dB. That's very loud and not recommended for extended listening periods. If you have the 2nd T6 playing along in a stereo pair, add another 3dB to it.

So depending on how far away from the speakers your Main Listening Position (MLP) is at and how loud one likes to listen to will determine the power requirement.

When you did the auto calibration with the SR-5008, the receiver will set the trim levels for each speaker based on 85dB at the MLP. That value of 85dB is considered pretty loud. What are these settings on your SR-5008? If you are in the big negative territory, then not much power is required from the amp to drive your speakers to loud levels.
mukuntharajaa likes this.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #3664 of 3665 Old Today, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Hi mukuntharajaa,

It very depends on your room and where your speakers are set up. Your PSB T6 speaker is has an in room sensitivity of 91dB/W/m, which is quite efficient. While the C5 has a sensitivity of 90dB/W/m.

That means with just one T5 speaker and if you're sitting just 1m away and supplying a single watt of power, the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) is 91dB. That's very loud and not recommended for extended listening periods. If you have the 2nd T6 playing along in a stereo pair, add another 3dB to it.

So depending on how far away from the speakers your Main Listening Position (MLP) is at and how loud one likes to listen to will determine the power requirement.

When you did the auto calibration with the SR-5008, the receiver will set the trim levels for each speaker based on 85dB at the MLP. That value of 85dB is considered pretty loud. What are these settings on your SR-5008? If you are in the big negative territory, then not much power is required from the amp to drive your speakers to loud levels.
Thanks steveting99 for the detailed explanation. Should I run through audyssey once again to see those settings or are there any other way to get these ?
post #3665 of 3665 Unread Today, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartr View Post
I have an sr5008 from acl that has hiss in all of the speakers that's not affected by volume setting. I found that I had an analog video and audio input (for an NES) that had an unused HDMI input assigned to it as well. When I unassigned this input, the hissing dropped dramatically. It can only be heard now if you put your ear right in front of a tweeter against the grille. HTH.
Last night my 5008 lost all sound. I reset the microprocessor 5 times and now I can get 2 channel with NO hiss whatsoever its perfect I havnt tried any surround modes and didn't run audessy yet. Figure on trying to use a surround mode in next couple days. The 2 channel with no hiss is very good. Thanks Dartr

beeker klipsch
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page