The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 126 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3751 of 3778 Old 04-24-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
archiguy,

Afraid this has been a hard and expensive lesson for you.
Hopefully not. I tried again and got a much more receptive CSR. He asked me to send them a pdf of my receipt and he'd "pass it up the line" and see what they can do.

Honestly, they do have some responsibility (as do I - yes, I know I probably should have tested it back when I got it). They sold me a dud AVR. A good company, concerned with its reputation and who valued its long-time, repeat customers, would stand behind its product, reduced refurb warranty or not. We'll see what kind of company Marantz is. I'll post back with the results when I hear something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3778 Old 04-25-2015, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoepup View Post
can you please expand upon this? If he uses the same speaker cable and banana posts/jacks on both sides where can the impedance mismatch happen that is different from a pro doing it? I ask because I am building my HT now and thinking of using the under stairs area for all AV equipment with the front showing through the side. I was considering running speaker cable from wall jack back to another wall jack in closet and then making short (1-2') jumpers to back to AV equipment. I was concerned about having more connections but not due to impedance; more do to every point of connection is a potential point of failure/interference. Thanks
Hi zoepup,

I used the words "impedance mis-match" thinking back to electrical circuit theory. This may have caused a concern and appologies for this. You are correct in thinking my concerns are related to potential points of failure within the circuit with each 'break' such as the pig tail, wall jack, in wall cable + any other connectors along the circuit.

If any of these components within the circuit are not properly installed or perhaps loose, it will increase the overall circuit impedance as seen by the amp.

The wire gauge, conducting material should be the same for each component within the circuit - this is not always the case. It doesn't really matter that much for short distances, provided one is sensible in choicing the right components.

Since you intend to have a number of section breaks within the circuit, if you have a digital multi-meter, best to measure the overall impedance of the circuit. The goal is to ensure that circuit impedance is significantly less than (by serveral orders in magnitude) the lowest impedance of your speaker. Check with your speaker manufacturer on the freqeuncy vs. impedance response curve. This will ensure that the full voltage is seen at the terminals of the speaker and the loss across the rest of the circuit from the amp onwards is neglible.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8(on order), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 Gen2 (on order)
post #3753 of 3778 Old 04-25-2015, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiendy View Post

I should mention, I have had a professional wire impedance matching volume knobs for zone 2 and 3. Not sure if this changes anything. I was only proposing a wall plate - or I can do keystone jacks to make connection and disconnection (if necessary) more easy. Can you hotswap speaker cables when a receiver is on, or this a bad idea?
Hot swapping speaker cables is generally a bad idea. You want to switch the power OFF before touching any potential live circuit and avoid any shock hazard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiendy View Post

I guess this is what I am unclear on. I have no front speakers right now. Can I use my in-ceiling (directly above) as my 2.0 front left and right, my kitchen as zone 2 and my outdoor as zone 3 until I get tower speakers? Or is zone 3 unpowered? I was planning on getting an Emotiva amp (not sure which one) to power the 3rd zone when I get real zone 1 speakers. Will Audyssey figure out that I am using speakers above and adjust for it? I am really not too worried about tweaking things right now if I can just get things running properly.

Alternatively, can the 4 in-ceiling speakers be put in one zone and the outdoor pair in the second? If that means the inside speakers are playing the same audio, I guess that's no biggie until I can get a separate amp.

Zone 1 in ceiling are directly above MLP, Zone 2 are behind, in the kitchen as diagrammed. I have not done any other pre-wiring for fronts or surrounds. I figured the in-ceiling above MLP would transition to rear surround in a 5.1 setup.

Loudness? I doubt I will crank anything above normal listening, maybe turn it up once in awhile, but not neighbourhood shaking-loud, especially considering these are very basic speakers.
As jdsmoothie advise, the SR7008 has internally 9 amplifiers. So you should be able to do a 5.1 configuration for the main zone, a 2.0 stereo for Zone 2 and 2.0 stereo for Zone 3. My mistake in thinking the SR7008 had 7 amps internally and you need an external set of amps.

Follow jdsmoothie's recommendation for what you want to do. Based on what you said, my understanding of your setup is as follows.

main zone in the living /dining room. 2 in ceiling speakers.
Zone 2 in the kitchen. 2 in ceiling speakers,
Zone 3 in the outdoors. 2 speakers.

Since you've got just 6 speakers that need power, the 9 internal amps of the SR7008 can drive them.

If you're concerned about sound quality in the main zone, make sure the speakers are setup with the right angles as shown in the owners manual and reproduced below.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8(on order), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 Gen2 (on order)
post #3754 of 3778 Old 04-25-2015, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefaanSeys View Post
Solution to "low volume" for network sources bug

Hi,

Only two months after buying a brand new Marantz SR5008, the volume for any of the network sources (DLNA, internet radio, etc.) dropped dramatically. Where previously normal levels of 20-40 were used, suddenly I had to crank it up to 60-80. Other sources like HDMI audio from the TV, analog CD player, etc. remained unchanged.

I tried doing a factory reset, power off for 30 minutes, a couple of more factory resets, but the problem remained.

Looking on the Internet, I discovered I was not the only one having this issue. Finally, I found the solution on a Denon related forum (the Denon's have the same issue), but as we all know the close relationship between the two, I applied the exact same solution to my Marantz and yes, the problem is solved!

Solution:

1) Go download the latest firmware from the marantz support website: http://firmware.marantz.eu/
2) Follow the instructions to update the firmware through a USB dongle (I previously already did a network firmware update, but this didn't fix the problem - and there has to be an update to do this )
3) Don't forget to do a cpu reset by pressing Channel+ and Channel- while powering on the device (is also part of the instructions).

The whole process took about 45 minutes, but it saved me a trip to the shop, wait 3 weeks for Marantz service to do this, go back to the shop, re-install all my wires and cables, etc.

Remarks:

I have only discovered this yesterday, so I do not know whether the bug is actually fixed in the firmware, or that the whole updating process truly resets the whole receiver in way that the normal factory reset does not. The firmware release notes do not state anything related to this particular bug...

It would be very helpful to know exactly why the receiver suddenly drops its volume for network sources in order to avoid the problem (assuming that the firmware does not already fixes it).

Hopefully this will help other people with the same issue...

Stefaan
Hi all,

I have an SR5008 and I am having this same problem. For whatever reason, the volume of the inputs via Network are far lower than other inputs, so I find myself cranking the volume up on the receiver. In fact, when I play music through Airplay, the receiver caps the volume at 75 (the volume is at 100% on the volume control in Itunes). I wasn't able to download the firmware update as instructed above because I live in North America; however, I did do all software updates directly on the receiver.

I have checked the "Volume Limit" and it is off. I have also gone to "Source Level" in inputs and this was at 0 (although I have since increased this to offset the low volumes).

Any ideas? Thanks.
post #3755 of 3778 Old 04-25-2015, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since most stores are clearing out their *008 stocks (in Canada and I can get a good deal 'relatively speaking') I'm thinking of picking up the 7008. I have a Denon X1000 running with 5.1 set up. Is it worth while upgrade moving up to SR7008 from the X1000 in terms of pure audio quality?
post #3756 of 3778 Old 04-25-2015, 05:33 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 3752 Post(s)
Liked: 2185
^^
Yes .. but I wouldn't do it unless you can use the additional features as well or unless you can't upgrade your speakers or add another sub.
treker747 likes this.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #3757 of 3778 Old 04-26-2015, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgood View Post
Hi all,

I have an SR5008 and I am having this same problem. For whatever reason, the volume of the inputs via Network are far lower than other inputs, so I find myself cranking the volume up on the receiver. In fact, when I play music through Airplay, the receiver caps the volume at 75 (the volume is at 100% on the volume control in Itunes). I wasn't able to download the firmware update as instructed above because I live in North America; however, I did do all software updates directly on the receiver.

I have checked the "Volume Limit" and it is off. I have also gone to "Source Level" in inputs and this was at 0 (although I have since increased this to offset the low volumes).

Any ideas? Thanks.
Hi rgood,

Do you have a test source such as the AIX records audio calibration disc and an inexpensive hand held Sound Pressure Level meter?

What you can do is check the SPL levels are about 75dB at the Main Listening Position (MLP) from two separate places. You would need to adjust the Main Volume on to carry this out. You would be using the pink noise test tracks.

(1) through your blu-ray player and the test tracks; and
(2) through your PC and streaming the test tracks.

Be sure both test places are set to unity gain. If both places show 75dB at the MLP, then the Marantz is correctly doing the decoding and volume control.

If the difference is greater than the error on your hand held SPL meter, then further investigation needs to be carried out.

Last edited by steveting99; 04-26-2015 at 03:44 AM. Reason: additional text for clarity
post #3758 of 3778 Old 04-26-2015, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by treker747 View Post
Since most stores are clearing out their *008 stocks (in Canada and I can get a good deal 'relatively speaking') I'm thinking of picking up the 7008. I have a Denon X1000 running with 5.1 set up. Is it worth while upgrade moving up to SR7008 from the X1000 in terms of pure audio quality?

JD always gives good advice, but I think it might be a pretty good upgrade regardless. It's a much higher end receiver than the 1000. Among other things, you would be going from Audyssey MultiEQ to XT-32, two steps up, and the top of the Audyssey line. The room EQ alone would be a pretty big upgrade. If the price is good enough, and the AVR is affordable, it might be a pretty good investment. You never know when you might want to add speakers later, too.
treker747 likes this.
post #3759 of 3778 Old 04-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SR6008 amplifier thoughts/advice

Hi,
I have a SR6008 with a pair of Klipsch RF82 II's for my mains and (2) Klipsch RW12D subs. I was lucky and recieved a email from Polk audio with a code for the friends & family 50% off sale recently and purchased a center channel speaker and a pair of surrounds.
Center-Polk CSiA6
Surrounds-Polk FXiA6

I figured since I was going to be making the connections for the new Polks it would be a good time to go all out and purchase a 2chan. stereo amplifier so I have more headroom when listening to music. These are a couple I have been looking at:

1) Marantz MM7025 which has 140watts per chan. @ 8ohms. http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=MM7025

2) Emotiva XPA-2 which is 300watts per chan. @ 8 ohms.
https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-2

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Perhaps you know of a different amp etc. I would like to keep the price around a grand give or take.

Last edited by Deadbydawn71; 04-26-2015 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Added info/links
post #3760 of 3778 Old 04-26-2015, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
JD always gives good advice, but I think it might be a pretty good upgrade regardless. It's a much higher end receiver than the 1000. Among other things, you would be going from Audyssey MultiEQ to XT-32, two steps up, and the top of the Audyssey line. The room EQ alone would be a pretty big upgrade. If the price is good enough, and the AVR is affordable, it might be a pretty good investment. You never know when you might want to add speakers later, too.
Thanks for the advice. That's what I'm thinking - to future proof myself a little bit and get this unit. I don't foresee using Dolby Atmos for the next few years (if ever), however I can see adding another SVS PB-1000 to the one I already have, so having the sub-eq along with XT-32 sounds worthwhile for me. I don't like that Denon/Marantz don't offer a receiver in their line up with XT-32 but not Atmos and we have to pay the premium for Atmos just so we could have the XT-32 feature. The previous generation is the only lineup we have to fall back on just to have XT-32.
post #3761 of 3778 Old 04-26-2015, 04:14 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbydawn71 View Post
Hi,
I have a SR6008 with a pair of Klipsch RF82 II's for my mains and (2) Klipsch RW12D subs. I was lucky and recieved a email from Polk audio with a code for the friends & family 50% off sale recently and purchased a center channel speaker and a pair of surrounds.
Center-Polk CSiA6
Surrounds-Polk FXiA6

I figured since I was going to be making the connections for the new Polks it would be a good time to go all out and purchase a 2chan. stereo amplifier so I have more headroom when listening to music. These are a couple I have been looking at:

1) Marantz MM7025 which has 140watts per chan. @ 8ohms. http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=MM7025

2) Emotiva XPA-2 which is 300watts per chan. @ 8 ohms.
https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-2

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Perhaps you know of a different amp etc. I would like to keep the price around a grand give or take.

A Klipsch center (eg. RC-62) would be a much better match for proper timbre matching of the front speakers with your RF-82's which are actually quite efficient and unlikely to require any additional amplification even after adding the 3 additional speakers.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-26-2015 at 06:08 PM.
post #3762 of 3778 Old 04-26-2015, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by treker747 View Post
Thanks for the advice. That's what I'm thinking - to future proof myself a little bit and get this unit. I don't foresee using Dolby Atmos for the next few years (if ever), however I can see adding another SVS PB-1000 to the one I already have, so having the sub-eq along with XT-32 sounds worthwhile for me. I don't like that Denon/Marantz don't offer a receiver in their line up with XT-32 but not Atmos and we have to pay the premium for Atmos just so we could have the XT-32 feature. The previous generation is the only lineup we have to fall back on just to have XT-32.

You are very welcome! I agree with you. I was thinking yesterday that since I have no interest in Atmos, I am likely to keep my 7008 for several years to come.
post #3763 of 3778 Old 04-27-2015, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Last night when playing some music from a USB drive (oppo bdp103) on zone 2 I couldn't get any audio. Audio was fine on zone 1. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? No problem with CD audio on zone 2 using the same player. Thanks!
post #3764 of 3778 Old 04-27-2015, 06:32 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Multi Channel or 2CH? Does it work when connected directly to the AVR USB?

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #3765 of 3778 Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 AM

2 channel. I will need to check your other suggestion when I am home tonight. ..thanks!
post #3766 of 3778 Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Hi zoepup,

I used the words "impedance mis-match" thinking back to electrical circuit theory. This may have caused a concern and appologies for this. You are correct in thinking my concerns are related to potential points of failure within the circuit with each 'break' such as the pig tail, wall jack, in wall cable + any other connectors along the circuit.

If any of these components within the circuit are not properly installed or perhaps loose, it will increase the overall circuit impedance as seen by the amp.

The wire gauge, conducting material should be the same for each component within the circuit - this is not always the case. It doesn't really matter that much for short distances, provided one is sensible in choicing the right components.

Since you intend to have a number of section breaks within the circuit, if you have a digital multi-meter, best to measure the overall impedance of the circuit. The goal is to ensure that circuit impedance is significantly less than (by serveral orders in magnitude) the lowest impedance of your speaker. Check with your speaker manufacturer on the freqeuncy vs. impedance response curve. This will ensure that the full voltage is seen at the terminals of the speaker and the loss across the rest of the circuit from the amp onwards is neglible.
I'm glad you cleared up your use of the term impedance mis-match. Unless someone is a complete slob at making the various speaker connections, there shouldn't be more than milli-ohms difference in the cables from amp to speaker. I would be more worried about phase mis-matching caused by swapping the + and - wires at any of the junctions. That will cause a worse sound experience than a miniscule difference in wire length impedance.
post #3767 of 3778 Old 04-27-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyiii View Post
I'm glad you cleared up your use of the term impedance mis-match. Unless someone is a complete slob at making the various speaker connections, there shouldn't be more than milli-ohms difference in the cables from amp to speaker. I would be more worried about phase mis-matching caused by swapping the + and - wires at any of the junctions. That will cause a worse sound experience than a miniscule difference in wire length impedance.
A continuity and overall impedance check is a good idea if one is not using the direct speaker cable connection method between amp to speaker terminals.

The phase mis-match issue is a good point and some care is needed when using multiple section breaks in the circuit in getting this correct. During the auto-calibration setup of the SR-7009, Audyssey will advise about any phase errors. I would trust that Audyssey gets this correct.

If in doubt, I believe a check using frequency sweeps with REW is possible to verify phase alignment. One can also use the AIX records audio calibration disc which has Speaker Phase Tests Check the phase of each speaker pair.

Last edited by steveting99; 04-28-2015 at 02:29 AM. Reason: typo and link provided.
post #3768 of 3778 Old 04-27-2015, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I was so confident about my connections that I thought auddyssey was wrong when it said phase error. Only after careful examination, I realized I was wrong.
post #3769 of 3778 Old 04-28-2015, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am back after more then one year to ask again your help.
I have just changed my tv and now I have a new problem.
I have the Marantz SR6008; connected to Main I have a VPR and connected to Zone2 there is a TV.
In this way it's possible for me to decide to see something using the VPR or the TV.
Connected to the Marantz via HDMI I have a PS3, a mediaplayer (Himedia Q5) and before to buy the new TV also a decoder because the old TV didn't have one inside.
In this way following your suggestion I have correctly set up the system connecting the decoder on the Marantz on Cable/TV enter.
Now my problem is this: the new TV have the decoder inside so what I have to do in order to have the same functionality as before?
I mean, before if I wanted to see a TV program using the PVR was just necessary to select the input Cable/TV on the Main zone, and now?
In this moment I have connected the TV to the Zone2 using the HDMI1 exit of my TV and the input works (I mean I can see the PS3 or the mediaplayer on my TV)
But I don't know how to see the TV program on the VPR and I don't know how to have the audio of the TV that go to the speackers connected to the Marantz
The TV is a Samsung UE40ES6800

Thanks
post #3770 of 3778 Old 04-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 183
How to assign exteran amp to Front Left and Right Marantz 7008

Hey all,

I've been trying for the last 1 1/2 hours to figure out how to assign my front speakers to use the pre-outs from my Marantz 7008. I've read through the manual, and searched online, and can't seem to find it.

There doesn't seem to be a setting whereby I can select pre-outs for the front speakers. Does it automatically see the amp if you use the pre-outs?

Cheers!
Sean.

Edit: It must. I'm listening to the speakers who's power is being supplied by the separate power amp right now.

Last edited by Sean Spamilton; 04-30-2015 at 08:59 PM.
post #3771 of 3778 Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^Sean,

My understanding is that the pre-outs for the SR7008 are all hot. So if you connect the pre-outs of the front left and front right pre-outs to an external amp, it should be sending the signals.

Try the test tones available on the SR7008. If you're hearing pink noise coming out of the front right and front left speakers, then the signals are going through the pre-outs, external amp and to your speakers.

When you did the auto-calibration with Audyssey, did the speakers make the test signals?

jdsmoothie can confirm the above.

post #3772 of 3778 Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The OP already did confirm himself.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #3773 of 3778 Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
^Sean,

My understanding is that the pre-outs for the SR7008 are all hot. So if you connect the pre-outs of the front left and front right pre-outs to an external amp, it should be sending the signals.

Try the test tones available on the SR7008. If you're hearing pink noise coming out of the front right and front left speakers, then the signals are going through the pre-outs, external amp and to your speakers.

When you did the auto-calibration with Audyssey, did the speakers make the test signals?

jdsmoothie can confirm the above.
Yes it turned out that they were hot. I spent almost 2 hours combing through the manual and doing searches on google / here at AVS before just going ahead and running Audyssey and finding out they were automatically used though. Good times
post #3774 of 3778 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is this a good match?

Hi guys,

I have been using the SR5008 for over a year now and really like it. I am using it with an older 5.1 speaker package - PSB Alpha Intro for the fronts, center and rears along with a PSB Subseries 1 subwoofer. I would like to replace some of these speakers; I think I am not really getting the benefits out of this receiver with my existing speakers.

I am able to get a great deal on a pair of PSB Imagine Mini's. The list price is $800 Cdn and I can get them for $400 if I trade-in a pair on my Alpha Intro's. I think this is a steal.

My room is 13' X 13' with 9 foot ceilings. These speakers will not be used for music. Only for TV/video/gaming.

I would be planning on replacing the centre to the PSB Imagine Mini C in a month or two. I plan on keeping the Subseries 1 subwoofer and the Alpha Intros as the rears.

I don't really understand impedance, sensitivity and power ratings. But from what I read I think they would be compatible with the SR5008.

Would this upgrade be a good idea? Am I mixing and matching them properly?

Thanks in advance!
post #3775 of 3778 Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM

Hi ...weird thing...I can no longer see, and therefore operate, my sr7008 with the iPad or android apps...what am I doing wrong? I can see my oppo and other media servers, but not the Marantz. What's up? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3776 of 3778 Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techgrrl View Post
Hi guys,

I have been using the SR5008 for over a year now and really like it. I am using it with an older 5.1 speaker package - PSB Alpha Intro for the fronts, center and rears along with a PSB Subseries 1 subwoofer. I would like to replace some of these speakers; I think I am not really getting the benefits out of this receiver with my existing speakers.

I am able to get a great deal on a pair of PSB Imagine Mini's. The list price is $800 Cdn and I can get them for $400 if I trade-in a pair on my Alpha Intro's. I think this is a steal.

My room is 13' X 13' with 9 foot ceilings. These speakers will not be used for music. Only for TV/video/gaming.

I would be planning on replacing the centre to the PSB Imagine Mini C in a month or two. I plan on keeping the Subseries 1 subwoofer and the Alpha Intros as the rears.

I don't really understand impedance, sensitivity and power ratings. But from what I read I think they would be compatible with the SR5008.

Would this upgrade be a good idea? Am I mixing and matching them properly?

Thanks in advance!
Hi techgrrl,

If no one has said so - welcome to AVS!

Had a look at the spec sheets of PSB Imagine Mini line of speakers that you're interested in. The Imagine Mini sensitivity is 85dB/W/m (anechoic) while the center channel is slightly higher at 86dB/W/m (anechoic). Both types of speakers have a nominal impedance of 8 ohms - which is a good thing as most receivers are rated for 8 ohms nominal load. The low end frequency is 65Hz (-1.5dB down), another good thing as THX recommends at least 80Hz. You might be able to cross over to the sub (Subseries 1) at either 60Hz, 70Hz or 80Hz, giving you some flexibility. Note the recommended continuous power rating is 60W only, with a peak of 80W.

The PSB Alpha Intro are now called the Alpha CLR1. Sensitivity is 85dB/W/m (anechoic) with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms. The low frequency is not as good as the Imagine Mini of 100Hz. Power rating is the same as the Imagine Mini, i.e. 60W continuous and a peak of 80W.

Thanks for letting us know your room dimensions. Foot print is 169 sq. ft. and room volume is just over 1,500 cu. ft. This would be considered a small room.

(a) Where will the Main Listening Position (MLP) be relative to the room and the speakers?
(b) How close will the speakers be to the room boundaries? This point is important as there different frequency responses and Sound Pressure Level (SPL).

Think the PSB Subseries 1 is now called the PSB Subseries 125 subwoofer? If this is what you've got, then the 8" driver has a rated frequency response of 35Hz to 150Hz. This should be a good match with the PSB Imagine and Alpha CLR1 speakers. Note that the PSB Subseries 1 cannot go down to 20Hz or below (which is a limitation of the driver and cabinet design) and can be an issue for some movies. Not sure how low the frequencies for games can be?

So based on the specs from PSB, you're good to go with the satellites, but might have some issues with bass heavy sound tracks due to the choice of the sub. One way to reproduce the low bass frequencies is to get a better sub. You might want to consider this later on if it becomes an issue with certain movies.

Let me know the answer to (a) and (b). Will do the quick web app calculations for you to see if you can reach reference level of 105dB at the MLP. Have you arranged the 5.0 speakers to achieve the angles as shown in your Marantz manual? See post number 3,753.

post #3777 of 3778 Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
Hi ...weird thing...I can no longer see, and therefore operate, my sr7008 with the iPad or android apps...what am I doing wrong? I can see my oppo and other media servers, but not the Marantz. What's up? Thanks!

How is the SR7008 connected to the router? Do you have static IP addressing for all devices connected to the router or is it dynamic? Both your iPad and android device must be connected to the same network as the Marantz SR7008.

On the android device, use the app called 'Fing' to discover all devices connected to your router. Hopefully you can see the Marantz SR7008 with it's IP address. The important thing is to note the SR7008 IP address. Counter check with the network settings on the SR7008 using the TV as the monitor. Is it the same?

The same 'Fing' app can be used for the iPad for checking.

Once you've got the IP address via 'Fing' or via the network settings on the SR7008, type that into your web browser via the android deice and iPad. Are you able to reach the home page of the SR7008? If so, check the a few things such as your audio settings. Make some parameter changes such as Audyssey ON/OFF. The TV should confirm this to be working.

post #3778 of 3778 Old Today, 04:07 AM

Quote:
How is the SR7008 connected to the router? Do you have static IP addressing for all devices connected to the router or is it dynamic? Both your iPad and android device must be connected to the same network as the Marantz SR7008.

On the android device, use the app called 'Fing' to discover all devices connected to your router. Hopefully you can see the Marantz SR7008 with it's IP address. The important thing is to note the SR7008 IP address. Counter check with the network settings on the SR7008 using the TV as the monitor. Is it the same?

The same 'Fing' app can be used for the iPad for checking.

Once you've got the IP address via 'Fing' or via the network settings on the SR7008, type that into your web browser via the android deice and iPad. Are you able to reach the home page of the SR7008? If so, check the a few things such as your audio settings. Make some parameter changes such as Audyssey ON/OFF. The TV should confirm this to be working.

Thanks very much for the reply! A soft reset did the trick here...unplugged it for a few minutes, plugged it back in, and voila! Marantz is back in the app!

I did download Fing...neat little app.

Thanks!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page