The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 127 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3781 of 3807 Old 05-03-2015, 05:15 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked: 2199
^^
Try unplugging the power cord to the AVR for 10 minutes.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 3807 Old 05-03-2015, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, but i didn't help.
post #3783 of 3807 Old 05-03-2015, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey guys!

I would like to ask you a bunch of questions since I'm on the verge of buying a 7008.

I mainly watch movies (70% of the time), but also music (30%).

I currently own a Pioneer VSX-923, matched with Monitor Audio BX5 + BXC (front) + BX1 (back) (which you can see here if you're in the mood: My Home Cinema Living Room), and I'm curently not completely satisfied...
I feel that the receiver is just not cutting it... the soundstage is "small" (as in "not wide") and the dialogues are not very present (even after several attemps to calibrate the whole thing... it's better, but it just doesn't feel quite right!).

After hearing a set of Monitor Audio Mass Series paired with a Pioneer LX57 sounding way better than my BX5/BXC/BX1+VSX923 set, I can only think that my receiver is the main culprit of such differences...

So, will I get a better sound with the Marantz?

The Pio delivers a powered, punchy, detailed experience... the Marantz is known for it's musicality...

What should I expect?
A softer/rounder sound?
Will it be a little bit more on the flat/dull side, with less dynamic range and power?
I would like to get a sound signature close to the Pio as I feel they are essential to a good movie watching experience...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the looks of the 7008, and the XT32 is one of the main reasons I thought of this receiver... the sole possibility of setting the speaker/subwoofer crossover's individually is crucial to me! The Pio's are very limited in that field...

The con?
Power comsumption!
The 7008 is a true GLUTTON! 710W when ON?! OUCH!
The Pio only "eats" 330W! Bummer!

Either way, I think I'll feel a big improvement in the overall sound won't I?

Well, that's it for now... I hope you can help me with your insights!

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards

P.S. Sorry if made any mistakes... English is not my native language

Last edited by Edi-MC; 05-03-2015 at 08:17 PM.
post #3784 of 3807 Old 05-04-2015, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi-MC View Post

The con?
Power comsumption!
The 7008 is a true GLUTTON! 710W when ON?! OUCH!
The Pio only "eats" 330W! Bummer!
The maximum power requirements will rarely (if ever) be reached on a continuous basis. There is a relationship between Sound Pressure Level (SPL) at the Main Listening Position (MLP), speaker sensitivity, distance between the speakers and MLP, the number of speakers and amp power.

If you listen at sane levels, have good efficient speakers (your Monitor Audio BX5 are rated for 90dB/W/m so it's fairly efficient), don't sit too far away from the speakers and implement bass management you should be okay. It is doubtful the total power draw of 710W even at reference level is required by the Marantz SR7008. So you wont be frying eggs on the receiver if that is a concern. The HDMI board and video processor section will consume more energy (and get hotter) than the amp section under most operating conditions.

The Pioneer receiver implements Class D type amps which are more efficient than the Class AB amps used in Marantz. The power output between the two receivers in stereo mode are about the same - so no advantage there. The DSP implemented by Pioneer gives it a unique sound signature. The same thing with Marantz. It's a personal decision on which DSP signature one likes more than the other.

What advantage the SR7008 has is Audyssey XT32 room correction. With more filters assigned to the important bass frequencies which has an impact to perceived sound quality to the listener, my understanding is this is much better than the 3 band PEQ offered in MACC. Plus Audyssey has sub EQ HT; it can set separate trims and delays for two independent subs as well as time align them together. The intent is to smooth out the bass frequencies within the room and widen the sweet spot at the MLP. Not sure how Pioneer deals with two separate subs - might need an external box solution like DSP anti-mode.

If sound quality is important to you, the features of Audyssey XT32 should be a major consideration.
mthomas47 likes this.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order)
post #3785 of 3807 Old 05-04-2015, 03:03 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilmori View Post
Thanks, but i didn't help.
Could be an HDMI handshake issue with the HTPC. If you press the INFO button on the AVR remote, is PCM 2.0 or DD 2.0 being received from the HTPC?

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #3786 of 3807 Old 05-04-2015, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Could be an HDMI handshake issue with the HTPC. If you press the INFO button on the AVR remote, is PCM 2.0 or DD 2.0 being received from the HTPC?
Status button on the SR7008 shows:
Main Zone only: Sig.: PCM, fs:48khz, Format:2/0/.0., H=HDMI5/D=None
Main Zone + Zone2: H=HDMI5/D=None

Other things I notified while in Main Zone + Zone2:
- Hitting Info on the remote displays nothing at the screen
- Hitting Setup on the remote shows the OSD in 4:3 format instead of 16:9
- Setup->General->Information shows Input Signal: Analog
- So I went in Setup->Inputs->Input Select and changed Input Mode from Auto to HDMI
- Now in Setup->General->Information shows Input Signal: Unknown. Still not working.

I also notified that when in Main Zone and I power on Zone2, the video and audio cuts, then the audio come back for a fraction of second, then it goes away.

Your suggestion of an HDMI handshake issue seems to make sense.
Is there any workaround ?
Thanks again!
post #3787 of 3807 Old 05-04-2015, 04:29 AM
585-645-1006

HDMI Handshake audio/video dropout resolution

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #3788 of 3807 Old 05-04-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
The maximum power requirements will rarely (if ever) be reached on a continuous basis. There is a relationship between Sound Pressure Level (SPL) at the Main Listening Position (MLP), speaker sensitivity, distance between the speakers and MLP, the number of speakers and amp power.

If you listen at sane levels, have good efficient speakers (your Monitor Audio BX5 are rated for 90dB/W/m so it's fairly efficient), don't sit too far away from the speakers and implement bass management you should be okay. It is doubtful the total power draw of 710W even at reference level is required by the Marantz SR7008. So you wont be frying eggs on the receiver if that is a concern. The HDMI board and video processor section will consume more energy (and get hotter) than the amp section under most operating conditions.

The Pioneer receiver implements Class D type amps which are more efficient than the Class AB amps used in Marantz. The power output between the two receivers in stereo mode are about the same - so no advantage there. The DSP implemented by Pioneer gives it a unique sound signature. The same thing with Marantz. It's a personal decision on which DSP signature one likes more than the other.

What advantage the SR7008 has is Audyssey XT32 room correction. With more filters assigned to the important bass frequencies which has an impact to perceived sound quality to the listener, my understanding is this is much better than the 3 band PEQ offered in MACC. Plus Audyssey has sub EQ HT; it can set separate trims and delays for two independent subs as well as time align them together. The intent is to smooth out the bass frequencies within the room and widen the sweet spot at the MLP. Not sure how Pioneer deals with two separate subs - might need an external box solution like DSP anti-mode.

If sound quality is important to you, the features of Audyssey XT32 should be a major consideration.
Thanks for your answer!

Yes, sound quality is important to me.
I'm leaning towards the 7008 mainly because of the XT32 since I've had my share with MCACC... I feel the constant need to tweak something everytime I turn the system on...
My main concern is it sound signature... I won't be able to listen to any Marantz, but I've always heard that they are very good for music but only "OK" for movies (and the Pio is exactly the opposite).

Since it will be mainly used to watch movies, I'm concerned that I may be switching priorities here...
Will I get a "lazy"/laid back sound?
I like an articulated sound, with definition, clarity and punchiness, but not very dry/thin...
WHICH is also another concern since I've read that regarding bass management, the receiver is a bit.......... on the quiet side... I have an SVS SB2000.

Why is it that I get the impression that there is a big fuss around the 7009, but as far as the general opinion goes, the 7008 is seen as a "......... good AV"...
Disregarding Dolby Atmos they look pretty much the same to me! Am I wrong?

Facing some tough choices here :/

Last edited by Edi-MC; 05-04-2015 at 05:58 PM.
post #3789 of 3807 Old 05-04-2015, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Haven't been here in a while, but I have to share this. Just got my 7008 back from Magnolia service and was "entertained" by their assessment of the issue with the amp. I had sent it in for the dreaded blinking red light over-temp issue. I even put a fan on it to be sure and took it out of the system entirely and it would still shut down due to "over temp."

Here is my current system setup:

SR7008
Oppo 103
Samsung F8500
Carver M1.0t (for mains)

Klipsch Cornwalls (mains)
Klipsch S-10 side surrounds
Cerwin Vega D8 (rear)
Klipsch KSF-C5 center
Klipsch KSW-200(2)

On the repair slip Marantz said the re-soldered some connections on the main board, bench tested for an extended period of time, installed latest firmware, and reset to factory setting.

They said they looked at the on-board error log and determined the issues were due to; too low impedance, too many speakers, excessive volume. I laughed out loud and quizzed the salesperson there as to what Marantz might be talking about. He said I may not be driving the amp hard enough, thereby over working it. Really. I said if that is the case, that is UNACCEPTABLE for a $2000 amp. His reply was that is why they make $4000 and $8000 amps. Seriously dude?

I told him the same setup was run by my old Yamaha RX-V663 for 6 years with ZERO issues, I find it HIGHLY unlikely that the 7008 would fail to function under those conditions. I really doubt that 2 S-10s, 2 D-8s and the center channel would present a challenging load for the 7008. I am still laughing at the absurdity of it all.

Does anyone here have any clue as to what Marantz is getting on about? If the 7008 fails again, there is going to be a very sincere conversation with Marantz.

I am not mad in the least, but am I not understanding what they are talking about? Would like to get everyone's opinion.
post #3790 of 3807 Old 05-04-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your answer!

Yes, sound quality is important to me.
I'm leaning towards the 7008 mainly because of the XT32 since I've had my share with MCACC... I feel the constant need to tweak something everytime I turn the system on...
My main concern is it sound signature... I won't be able to listen to any Marantz, but I've always heard that they are very good for music but only "OK" for movies (and the Pio is exactly the opposite).

Since it will be mainly used to watch movies, I'm concerned that I may be switching priorities here...
Will I get a "lazy"/laid back sound?
I like an articulated sound, with definition, clarity and punchiness, but not very dry/thin...
WHICH is also another concern since I've read that regarding bass management, the receiver is a bit.......... on the quiet side... I have an SVS SB2000.

Why is it that I get the impression that there is a big fuss around the 7009, but as far as the general opinion goes, the 7008 is seen as a "......... good AV"...
Disregarding Dolby Atmos they look pretty much the same to me! Am I wrong?

Facing some tough choices here :/
With Audyssey, there are two curves available. One is called Flat/Music the other is Reference/Movie.

Flat/Music describes what the target is meant to be in your room - flat across the frequency spectrum. Some people like this more for music playback.

Reference/Movie is different, in that there is a two step roll off. A slight roll-off from 4kHz - 10 kHz (-2dB @ 10 kHz), and the 2nd roll-off from 10 kHz - 20 kHz (-6dB @ 20 kHz).

Try both and see which one you like in your room.

Audyssey also has Dynamic EQ so that at below reference volume listening, there is a fuller sound in the bass and high frequencies. I believe it modifies the target curve based on user volume setting. I have this ON all the time.

In conjunction with Dynamic EQ, Audyssey has Dynamic Volume. This compresses the soundtrack so that it appears louder based on Day/Evening/Midnight selections. The purpose of this is to allow a lower volume listening level, but still be able to hear most of what's in the soundtrack. I set this based on actual content being played and time of day. This is useful during commercials breaks which tend to sound 'hotter' than the main show.

Most find the bass after Audyssey calibration to be 'dry' or a bit soft. A channel adjustment of +3dB to +6dB to the bass is not unusual setting to have.

No one can really tell you the difference in sound signatures between the Pioneer and Marantz. It's really a personal choice on which one prefers. If unsure, purchase from a reputable vendor who have generous return policies - like AVS forum sponsor jdsmoothie. Give him a call.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order)
post #3791 of 3807 Old 05-04-2015, 09:54 PM

Thank you for your input!

I wish I lived a little bit nearer... I live in Portugal eheheh I'll have to buy from an European seller.

Do you get a punchy, powerful and rich sound from your Marantz?
Judging by your informed opinion I'm assuming you have one...
post #3792 of 3807 Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your input!

I wish I lived a little bit nearer... I live in Portugal eheheh I'll have to buy from an European seller. ..
Try Amazon.es, which I think is the nearest vendor to where you reside. Believe Amazon has a good returns policy.

Quote:
...Do you get a punchy, powerful and rich sound from your Marantz?
Judging by your informed opinion I'm assuming you have one...
I have a Marantz SR7009 and with Audyssey XT32 engaged the sound reproduction is satisfying.

post #3793 of 3807 Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM

The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread

Indeed they have! I'm a regular customer problem is the Marantz is a little pricey... Wether it's the spanish, english, italian, french or deutsch Amazon...
If I decide to buy elsewhere I'll talk to the vendor and ask about the return policy

Hmmmm... See? You're only getting a "satisfying" sound from the Marantz flagship receiver?
Wherever I look, whatever I read, I always get the impression that these receivers just aren't............ very exciting....... Lol sorry if I misunderstood you...

Or could it be that the damn thing is so good that it does what's expected of it and it's just not worth talking too much about it (?)

I keep getting mixed signals... Lol
post #3794 of 3807 Old Yesterday, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
....... Lol sorry if I misunderstood you...

Or could it be that the damn thing is so good that it does what's expected of it and it's just not worth talking too much about it (?) ...
Not a salesman so like to keep expectations on the low end. If things work out better than expected, then it's a bonus.

post #3795 of 3807 Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So.. I get a new SR7008 to replace my Denonx3000 and often when I turn off the sources in all zones for the eve the next morning everything seems fine, I can use the app to control the receiver and everything appears good.. cept no sound.. I can change sources no prob... then magically everything works after flipping around.. unplugging the power cable usually solves. Never had this issue with denon.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
post #3796 of 3807 Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Best way to mitigate HDMI handshake issues is to power on TV, pause 5 secs, AVR, pause 5 secs, and finally the source. You may also want to try the HDMI HDCP reset procedure I list in the link below ....

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #3797 of 3807 Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Indeed they have! I'm a regular customer problem is the Marantz is a little pricey... Wether it's the spanish, english, italian, french or deutsch Amazon...
If I decide to buy elsewhere I'll talk to the vendor and ask about the return policy

Hmmmm... See? You're only getting a "satisfying" sound from the Marantz flagship receiver?
Wherever I look, whatever I read, I always get the impression that these receivers just aren't............ very exciting....... Lol sorry if I misunderstood you...

Or could it be that the damn thing is so good that it does what's expected of it and it's just not worth talking too much about it (?)

I keep getting mixed signals... Lol

I think if you read the reviews of the 7008, you won't get mixed signals. And I have yet to hear from a user on this thread who wasn't pleased with the sound experience for movies, which seemed to be a particular concern. The main advantage of the 7009 is Atmos as you said, otherwise there is no significant difference (other than cost ) between the two models.

As Steve said, the biggest advantage with Marantz rather than Pioneer (which looks like an excellent receiver) would be with respect to XT-32, and many people believe that's a game changer. Once you have had an advanced room correction system, it's unlikely that you would want to be without one. What you actually hear is much less the combination of receiver and speakers than it is the combination of speakers and room. And XT-32 helps a lot with that relationship.

Incidentally, you mentioned dialogue issues. You can improve that now by simply pulling your center speaker forward so that it overhangs the edge of your shelf by an inch or so. Lovely room, by the way.

Regards,
Mike
post #3798 of 3807 Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Best way to mitigate HDMI handshake issues is to power on TV, pause 5 secs, AVR, pause 5 secs, and finally the source. You may also want to try the HDMI HDCP reset procedure I list in the link below ....

ty JD.. I'll give it a shot later .. seems odd.. I use optical cable and the iphone app to control almost always
post #3799 of 3807 Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
I think if you read the reviews of the 7008, you won't get mixed signals. And I have yet to hear from a user on this thread who wasn't pleased with the sound experience for movies, which seemed to be a particular concern. The main advantage of the 7009 is Atmos as you said, otherwise there is no significant difference (other than cost ) between the two models.

As Steve said, the biggest advantage with Marantz rather than Pioneer (which looks like an excellent receiver) would be with respect to XT-32, and many people believe that's a game changer. Once you have had an advanced room correction system, it's unlikely that you would want to be without one. What you actually hear is much less the combination of receiver and speakers than it is the combination of speakers and room. And XT-32 helps a lot with that relationship.

Incidentally, you mentioned dialogue issues. You can improve that now by simply pulling your center speaker forward so that it overhangs the edge of your shelf by an inch or so. Lovely room, by the way.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks for your feedback!

Ok, I wouldn't go to far and call it "mixed signals".
But there's definitely a difference in opinion regarding the two units which I find to be very similar in specs (not considering Dolby Atmos)...

If you read these reviews you'll see what I mean:
- https://www.avforums.com/review/dolb...oup-test.10946

- https://www.avforums.com/review/mara...r-review.10854

- https://www.avforums.com/review/mara...er-review.9612

In the first one the Marantz is seen as the winner between the three.
You see statments like:
- "a subtle and quite sophisticated sound";
- "surround mixes the results were equally as impressive";
- "centre channel was always clear with well defined dialogue";
- " handled two-channel music extremely well, with an open soundstage but also a refinement to the overall audio that was unusual in an AV product";
- "The Pioneer sometimes felt a little clinical and lacked the subtlety and musicality of the Marantz.";
- "The Marantz was very impressive when it came to all the main surround sound formats including Dolby Atmos. The sound field was well defined and immersive whilst bass was nicely integrated. Unusually for an AV receiver, the Marantz also retained a pleasant musical quality with two-channel audio."

In the second one (about the 7009):
- "In a word - lovely. The basic design doesn’t deviate much from the traditional look of an AV receiver but there are enough flourishes to give the SR7009 a touch of class";
- "uses a high-speed current feedback amplifier so that high-definition audio can be amplified with higher fidelity";
- "The best way to describe the sound of the SR7009 is classy";
- "Creating a very real sense of immersion and drawing the viewer into the film";
- "When we moved onto more recent movies the level of performance was equally as impressive";
- "Sound effects were rendered with precision and there was a musical quality to the score. However the centre channel remained perfectly defined, resulting in dialogue that was clear despite the chaos surrounding it;
- "The bass was also very well integrated and those low frequency effects punctuated the action effectively, providing an effective foundation for the sound"
- "In fact the precision of the localisation of effects and the panning of sounds was quite remarkable, even with just five speakers. The level of bass was also impressive";
- It handled two-channel music extremely well, with the 'new' Pink Floyd album The Endless River being beautifully reproduced by the SR7009. The soundstage was suitably open but there was also a refinement to the overall audio that was unusual in an AV product";
- "The SR7009 delivered a classy and refined sound regardless of what audio format we were using";
"Definitely and given the irresistible combination of performance, design and features, we would say that you simply won't find better at this price"
- "The audio performance was excellent with a wonderfully immersive surround experience, regardless of which audio format you were using. Whilst the Marantz also had a refined and classy quality when dealing with music and as such it's a great all-round performer."

Now let's get on to the 7008..........
a) Looks (which is exactly the same) - "The design of the SR7008 mirrors that of last year’s SR7007 with a clean front facia and a slight curve to the edges". Where did the lovely and classy looks go?
b) They even pick with the blue LED - "There is a blue ring of light around the central display which thankfully can be turned off";
c) "The SR7008 has a decent video capability";
e) Oh, look, a good thing! Ups... only partially it seems... "Gone was the cliched Japanese emphasis on power, to be replaced by a more subtle and balanced performance. Marantz have a long history of manufacturing audiophile products and the SR7008 has clearly inherited some of that DNA."
f) "the SR7008 replicated the sound design very effectively, anchoring the dialogue clearly to the centre channel whilst producing a wide front soundstage that had good positioning of instruments and a nice sense of clarity and detail."
g) Finally! A good thing - "The SR7008 teased a lively performance from the side and rear channels, creating an immersive surround field with excellent localisation of effects".
h) The overall integration of the front and rear channels was effective, with smooth pans around the room".
i) Another goodie, now regarding bass management! "The results were excellent, with well timed bass that added impact to scenes when required without swamping the rest of the channels.".................... BUT (there's always a but - no pun intended ): "we did feel that the receiver itself lacked in power to a degree, minimising the headroom and restricting its dynamic range."
j) "the SR7008 will be quite capable for the majority of listening material".
k) Now for the good stuff - "The performance with multichannel music was impressive, whether it was DVD-Audio or SACD, with well defined instruments and an impressive level of clarity. The Marantz was also surprisingly effective with two-channel music and certainly better than some of the other receivers we've reviewed. We found instruments and vocals were well reproduced, whilst the SR7008 managed to create a cohesive soundstage with excellent positioning and plenty of detail and clarity. There is no doubt that the greater subtlety of the Marantz results in a more musical experience than one would normally expect from an audio/video receiver."

If you focus your attention on the bolded/underlined words can you see the difference?

Keeping in mind that, in essence, the 7009 is a 7008 with Dolby Atmos capability, my question is: how on earth are the changes between the two of them so significant that instead of a..................... good receiver, you move to a............. classy, impressive, lovely, refined, precise, bla, bla,bla (you get the point), receiver?

One of two thins happened here :
- Maybe the 7008 is better than the review says...
- Maybe the 7009 is worst than the review says...

And that's the feeling I get when I search the internet for opinions about these two AV receivers... something just doesn't add up...
Of course you'd expect to see improvements from one model to the next, but is there such a qualitative jump that justifies this I wonder?

And this is what's keeping me from buying the 7008...

Sorry for the long post...

Last edited by Edi-MC; Yesterday at 05:25 PM.
post #3800 of 3807 Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

Quote:

But there's definitely a difference in opinion regarding the two units which I find to be very similar in specs (not considering Dolby Atmos)...

If you read these reviews you'll see what I mean:
- https://www.avforums.com/review/dolb...oup-test.10946

- https://www.avforums.com/review/mara...r-review.10854

- https://www.avforums.com/review/mara...er-review.9612

In the first one the Marantz is seen as the winner between the three.
You see statments like:
- "a subtle and quite sophisticated sound";
- "surround mixes the results were equally as impressive";
- "centre channel was always clear with well defined dialogue";
- " handled two-channel music extremely well, with an open soundstage but also a refinement to the overall audio that was unusual in an AV product";
- "The Pioneer sometimes felt a little clinical and lacked the subtlety and musicality of the Marantz.";
- "The Marantz was very impressive when it came to all the main surround sound formats including Dolby Atmos. The sound field was well defined and immersive whilst bass was nicely integrated. Unusually for an AV receiver, the Marantz also retained a pleasant musical quality with two-channel audio."

In the second one (about the 7009):
- "In a word - lovely. The basic design doesn’t deviate much from the traditional look of an AV receiver but there are enough flourishes to give the SR7009 a touch of class";
- "uses a high-speed current feedback amplifier so that high-definition audio can be amplified with higher fidelity";
- "The best way to describe the sound of the SR7009 is classy";
- "Creating a very real sense of immersion and drawing the viewer into the film";
- "When we moved onto more recent movies the level of performance was equally as impressive";
- "Sound effects were rendered with precision and there was a musical quality to the score. However the centre channel remained perfectly defined, resulting in dialogue that was clear despite the chaos surrounding it;
- "The bass was also very well integrated and those low frequency effects punctuated the action effectively, providing an effective foundation for the sound"
- "In fact the precision of the localisation of effects and the panning of sounds was quite remarkable, even with just five speakers. The level of bass was also impressive";
- It handled two-channel music extremely well, with the 'new' Pink Floyd album The Endless River being beautifully reproduced by the SR7009. The soundstage was suitably open but there was also a refinement to the overall audio that was unusual in an AV product";
- "The SR7009 delivered a classy and refined sound regardless of what audio format we were using";
"Definitely and given the irresistible combination of performance, design and features, we would say that you simply won't find better at this price"
- "The audio performance was excellent with a wonderfully immersive surround experience, regardless of which audio format you were using. Whilst the Marantz also had a refined and classy quality when dealing with music and as such it's a great all-round performer."

Now let's get on to the 7008..........
a) Looks (which is exactly the same) - "The design of the SR7008 mirrors that of last year’s SR7007 with a clean front facia and a slight curve to the edges". Where did the lovely and classy looks go?
b) They even pick with the blue LED - "There is a blue ring of light around the central display which thankfully can be turned off";
c) "The SR7008 has a decent video capability";
e) Oh, look, a good thing! Ups... only partially it seems... "Gone was the cliched Japanese emphasis on power, to be replaced by a more subtle and balanced performance. Marantz have a long history of manufacturing audiophile products and the SR7008 has clearly inherited some of that DNA."
f) "the SR7008 replicated the sound design very effectively, anchoring the dialogue clearly to the centre channel whilst producing a wide front soundstage that had good positioning of instruments and a nice sense of clarity and detail."
g) Finally! A good thing - "The SR7008 teased a lively performance from the side and rear channels, creating an immersive surround field with excellent localisation of effects".
h) The overall integration of the front and rear channels was effective, with smooth pans around the room".
i) Another goodie, now regarding bass management! "The results were excellent, with well timed bass that added impact to scenes when required without swamping the rest of the channels.".................... BUT (there's always a but - no pun intended ): "we did feel that the receiver itself lacked in power to a degree, minimising the headroom and restricting its dynamic range."
j) "the SR7008 will be quite capable for the majority of listening material".
k) Now for the good stuff - "The performance with multichannel music was impressive, whether it was DVD-Audio or SACD, with well defined instruments and an impressive level of clarity. The Marantz was also surprisingly effective with two-channel music and certainly better than some of the other receivers we've reviewed. We found instruments and vocals were well reproduced, whilst the SR7008 managed to create a cohesive soundstage with excellent positioning and plenty of detail and clarity. There is no doubt that the greater subtlety of the Marantz results in a more musical experience than one would normally expect from an audio/video receiver."

If you focus your attention on the bolded/underlined words can you see the difference?

Keeping in mind that, in essence, the 7009 is a 7008 with Dolby Atmos capability, my question is: how on earth are the changes between the two of them so significant that instead of a..................... good receiver, you move to a............. classy, impressive, lovely, refined, precise, bla, bla,bla (you get the point), receiver?

One of two thins happened here :
- Maybe the 7008 is better than the review says...
- Maybe the 7009 is worst than the review says...

And that's the feeling I get when I search the internet for opinions about these two AV receivers... something just doesn't add up...
Of course you'd expect to see improvements from one model to the next, but is there such a qualitative jump that justifies this I wonder?

And this is what's keeping me from buying the 7008...

Sorry for the long post...

Well, if you are hesitant about buying the 7008, then perhaps you shouldn't, but all three reviews are by a person I don't really know anything about. I have owned a number of Marantz receivers over the years, and before I bought my 7008 I read a number of professional reviews from different sources, and also read as much as I could of actual owner reactions. In the end, that's about all you can do: Do your research and then take your chances. I hope you find the definitive answers you are looking for.

Regards,
Mike
Edi-MC likes this.
post #3801 of 3807 Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

The HDAM pre-amps in the SR7009 are upgraded from the SR7008. Bottom line .. if you want to save money .. buy the SR7008, however, the SR7009 is likely to provide better audio quality.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #3802 of 3807 Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM

@mthomas47 - I only tried to prove my point... and I must tell you that my honest opinion is that the 7008 is better than those reviews try to show.
Could you please direct me to the professional reviews you've read? I would be extremely gratefull! Thanks!

P.S. And of course I'll continue to read actual owner reactions... that's why I'm here in the first place

@jdsmoothie - now that's something tangible I missed when comparing both products. That could in fact explain some differences... although I'm a little bit sceptical regarding a GREAT sound improvement (as suggested by the reviews I mentioned)...

Well, thank you once again for your help!
post #3803 of 3807 Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

^Edi-MC,

You can read up all the information / reviews available on the internet for the SR-7007/7008/7009, without the ability to make a purchase decision. Eventually you will reach a point where additional information wont help you any more. That is the GO/NO GO point.
Edi-MC likes this.

post #3804 of 3807 Old Today, 02:50 AM

Looks like you've read my mind... ahah
post #3805 of 3807 Old Today, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

^Edi-MC,

Note that the Marantz SR-7007 uses the lower level Audyssey room correction called XT. The SR-7008/7009 has the top end Audyssey room correction system called XT32.

The better room correction of Audyssey XT32 should be a major consideration on which model you will eventually end up with.

post #3806 of 3807 Unread Today, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Maybe it's just me but I take any reviews with a grain of salt, especially when their publications rely on advertising dollars. Better to get real user opinions. That being said, my ears are not good enough (or I'm not discerning enough) to tell the difference between a "musical" receiver and one that's not, or many of the superlatives used to describe their sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Marantz guy likes this.

Optoma HD131xe on 106" Accuscreens 16:9 pull-down screen
Marantz SR7008 AVR / Sony PS3 Fat / Sony BDP-5200 / Mac Mini / Synology 212j NAS
Polk Monitor65T Series II LR / Polk CS1 centre / Polk Monitor30 Series II heights / Monoprice in-wall 5-1/4 Inch surrounds / SVS SB12-NSD sub
post #3807 of 3807 Unread Today, 05:39 AM

Quote:
@mthomas47 - I only tried to prove my point... and I must tell you that my honest opinion is that the 7008 is better than those reviews try to show.
Could you please direct me to the professional reviews you've read? I would be extremely gratefull! Thanks!

P.S. And of course I'll continue to read actual owner reactions... that's why I'm here in the first place

@jdsmoothie - now that's something tangible I missed when comparing both products. That could in fact explain some differences... although I'm a little bit sceptical regarding a GREAT sound improvement (as suggested by the reviews I mentioned)...

Well, thank you once again for your help!

I think a couple of people have given you good advice that ultimately you will simply have to make your own buying decision. The 7008 is very good. Is the 7009 even a little better? Perhaps, but also quite a bit more expensive simply because it's a newer model and has Atmos, which gives it a marketing boost. There will be another new model coming along in the fall of 2016 to replace the 7009, too. If you can afford the price difference between the 7008 and the 7009, it may be worth it to get the newest model simply for the peace of mind it will give you. Practically speaking, there probably won't be a significant difference, but whoever said our AV hobbies were practical?

I did quite a number of Google searches when I was researching the 7008 and XT-32. The only review I kept was one with some bench test results, because I wanted to compare the 5 and 7 channel power to that of my existing 7002, which I also still have. Here is that review: http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...08-av-receiver
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page