The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 127 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3781 of 3784 Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked: 2189
^^
Try unplugging the power cord to the AVR for 10 minutes.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 3784 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, but i didn't help.
post #3783 of 3784 Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey guys!

I would like to ask you a bunch of questions since I'm on the verge of buying a 7008.

I mainly watch movies (70% of the time), but also music (30%).

I currently own a Pioneer VSX-923, matched with Monitor Audio BX5 + BXC (front) + BX1 (back) (which you can see here if you're in the mood: My Home Cinema Living Room), and I'm curently not completely satisfied...
I feel that the receiver is just not cutting it... the soundstage is "small" (as in "not wide") and the dialogues are not very present (even after several attemps to calibrate the whole thing... it's better, but it just doesn't feel quite right!).

After hearing a set of Monitor Audio Mass Series paired with a Pioneer LX57 sounding way better than my BX5/BXC/BX1+VSX923 set, I can only think that my receiver is the main culprit of such differences...

So, will I get a better sound with the Marantz?

The Pio delivers a powered, punchy, detailed experience... the Marantz is known for it's musicality...

What should I expect?
A softer/rounder sound?
Will it be a little bit more on the flat/dull side, with less dynamic range and power?
I would like to get a sound signature close to the Pio as I feel they are essential to a good movie watching experience...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the looks of the 7008, and the XT32 is one of the main reasons I thought of this receiver... the sole possibility of setting the speaker/subwoofer crossover's individually is crucial to me! The Pio's are very limited in that field...

The con?
Power comsumption!
The 7008 is a true GLUTTON! 710W when ON?! OUCH!
The Pio only "eats" 330W! Bummer!

Either way, I think I'll feel a big improvement in the overall sound won't I?

Well, that's it for now... I hope you can help me with your insights!

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards

P.S. Sorry if made any mistakes... English is not my native language

Last edited by Edi-MC; Yesterday at 08:17 PM.
post #3784 of 3784 Unread Today, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi-MC View Post

The con?
Power comsumption!
The 7008 is a true GLUTTON! 710W when ON?! OUCH!
The Pio only "eats" 330W! Bummer!
The maximum power requirements will rarely (if ever) be reached on a continuous basis. There is a relationship between Sound Pressure Level (SPL) at the Main Listening Position (MLP), speaker sensitivity, distance between the speakers and MLP, the number of speakers and amp power.

If you listen at sane levels, have good efficient speakers (your Monitor Audio BX5 are rated for 90dB/W/m so it's fairly efficient), don't sit too far away from the speakers and implement bass management you should be okay. It is doubtful the total power draw of 710W even at reference level is required by the Marantz SR7008. So you wont be frying eggs on the receiver if that is a concern. The HDMI board and video processor section will consume more energy (and get hotter) than the amp section under most operating conditions.

The Pioneer receiver implements Class D type amps which are more efficient than the Class AB amps used in Marantz. The power output between the two receivers in stereo mode are about the same - so no advantage there. The DSP implemented by Pioneer gives it a unique sound signature. The same thing with Marantz. It's a personal decision on which DSP signature one likes more than the other.

What advantage the SR7008 has is Audyssey XT32 room correction. With more filters assigned to the important bass frequencies which has an impact to perceived sound quality to the listener, my understanding is this is much better than the 3 band PEQ offered in MACC. Plus Audyssey has sub EQ HT; it can set separate trims and delays for two independent subs as well as time align them together. The intent is to smooth out the bass frequencies within the room and widen the sweet spot at the MLP. Not sure how Pioneer deals with two separate subs - might need an external box solution like DSP anti-mode.

If sound quality is important to you, the features of Audyssey XT32 should be a major consideration.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page