The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3871 of 4090 Old 05-29-2015, 04:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Haven't checked forum in a while. Have new models come out this year? Plans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 4090 Old 05-29-2015, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 2652
^^
D&M should be making a formal announcement on the new lower level models mid June with an announcement on the mid/upper models later this summer.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
post #3873 of 4090 Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, Guys I have purchased SR5008, now a question this is my 2nd upgrade from Yamaha, old Receiver to 7.2 receiver.
Now i have a question there is a option to add back surround or height speakers. But how do we get sound in height speakers?

As i know SR 5008 is not atmos right? so how there will be sound in height speakers? If any one can help with this confusion.
post #3874 of 4090 Old 05-29-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^
During the setup, set AMP ASSIGN = Front Height and on the remote select MOVIE - Dolby Digital PLIIz.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
post #3875 of 4090 Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 AM

Hello thank you for quick reply, I am actually purchasing new speakers. but do they worth it? i mean do they actually give effects. And DD PLII, will give same kind of surround in normal DD. and DTS HDMA?
Sorry my questions are bit new user kind.
post #3876 of 4090 Old 05-29-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^
Probably 50/50 as to whether adding them is worth it or not. You can use DD PLIIz with either DD or DTS audio.

--------

post #3877 of 4090 Old 05-29-2015, 11:44 AM

One more and last question sir. I have just downloaded Clip from demo world, of Atmos experience. Now in receiver it was showing Dolby Digital True HD. will it give effects in height speakers? I mean the way actual Atmos were doing? Or still i have to play it in PLII?

There is no kind of firmware update for getting Atmos enabled in SR 5008? its also 7.2 receiver ?
post #3878 of 4090 Old 05-29-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The SR5008 is not an Atmos AVR so will not play an Atmos audio track, rather only the core DD TrueHD track. Dolby Digital PLIIz has been around for many years and will simulate audio to the Front Height speakers from either a DD or DTS audio track.

--------

post #3879 of 4090 Old 05-29-2015, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Got the refurb SR7008 from a4less today. Hoping it would be "new", but it was in a plain box and clearly had been handled prior. Front panel was a little dirty and had one small mark on the plastic.
Anyway, I ran Audyssey. I actually ran it a few times. I did all 8 positions around the MPL. I have a 4.1 system. 4 Def Tech BP8 towers and an old Velodyne 12" servo sub. Audyssey kept the levels pretty even across the sub, 2 fronts and 1 of the rears, but one rear was consistently 3 db higher. They are all about equal distance from the MLP and in similar acoustic positions in the room. I pulled out my analog RS SPL meter and on c weighting with meter pointed up (at ear level), I did a manual check of the channels through the SR7008's pink noise generator. The meter showed the sub was way low and the right surround was a little too hot. I made some manual adjustments of the levels. I also made my fronts small (Audyssey had them large). Are those noises Audyssey makes and the pink noise generator "equivalent" for setting levels? They sound so different. Did any of my changes affect the Audyssey eq curve? Should I use dynamic eq and volume? Are there any determinal effects from either? Thanks!
post #3880 of 4090 Old 05-30-2015, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.costanza View Post
Got the refurb SR7008 from a4less today. Hoping it would be "new", but it was in a plain box and clearly had been handled prior. Front panel was a little dirty and had one small mark on the plastic.
The 1st I would do is perform a factory reset at least 5 times. This will clear the existing configuration and memory of the re-furb unit.

Quote:
...Anyway, I ran Audyssey. I actually ran it a few times. I did all 8 positions around the MPL. I have a 4.1 system. 4 Def Tech BP8 towers and an old Velodyne 12" servo sub. Audyssey kept the levels pretty even across the sub, 2 fronts and 1 of the rears, but one rear was consistently 3 db higher. They are all about equal distance from the MLP and in similar acoustic positions in the room. I pulled out my analog RS SPL meter and on c weighting with meter pointed up (at ear level), I did a manual check of the channels through the SR7008's pink noise generator. The meter showed the sub was way low and the right surround was a little too hot. I made some manual adjustments of the levels. I also made my fronts small (Audyssey had them large). Are those noises Audyssey makes and the pink noise generator "equivalent" for setting levels? They sound so different. Did any of my changes affect the Audyssey eq curve? Should I use dynamic eq and volume? Are there any determinal effects from either? Thanks!
Set the speakers to SMALL with the crossover at 80Hz.

When doing the test tones on the receiver, best to disable Audyssey. The levels and trims will still be in effect, but the room correction filters are not applied to the test tones. Check that you're getting consistent readings for all the speakers. It should be close to 75dB, +/- the error on your meter.

If you have a faulty calibration and verified via the test tones, might want to consider sending the unit back for an exchange.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.

Last edited by steveting99; 05-30-2015 at 02:36 AM. Reason: typo
post #3881 of 4090 Old 05-30-2015, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
The 1st I would do is perform a factory reset at least 5 times. This will clear the existing configuration and memory of the re-furb unit.

Thanks. Did that a couple times before anything else. I've owned several Denon's before

Set the speakers to SMALL with the crossover at 80Hz.

Do that too.

When doing the test tones on the receiver, best to disable Audyssey. The levels and trims will still be in effect, but the room correction filters are not applied to the test tones. Check that you're getting consistent readings for all the speakers. It should be close to 75dB, +/- the error on your meter.

If you have a faulty calibration and verified via the test tones, might want to consider sending the unit back for an exchange.
I didn't manually checks levels before Audyssey. I will re initialize processor and start over with that first. I've read plenty of reports of ppl having to turn up sub after Audyssey calibration, but I don't remember reading where they actually measured it as way lower compared to mains with an spl meter. They just felt the bass was too low.

I just don't see how the marantz's full range pink noise can compare to that Audyssey calibration chirp sound, but I'm not the genius that came up with it
post #3882 of 4090 Old 05-30-2015, 04:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Anyway, I ran Audyssey. I actually ran it a few times. I did all 8 positions around the MPL. I have a 4.1 system. 4 Def Tech BP8 towers and an old Velodyne 12" servo sub. Audyssey kept the levels pretty even across the sub, 2 fronts and 1 of the rears, but one rear was consistently 3 db higher. They are all about equal distance from the MLP and in similar acoustic positions in the room. I pulled out my analog RS SPL meter and on c weighting with meter pointed up (at ear level), I did a manual check of the channels through the SR7008's pink noise generator. The meter showed the sub was way low and the right surround was a little too hot. I made some manual adjustments of the levels. I also made my fronts small (Audyssey had them large). Are those noises Audyssey makes and the pink noise generator "equivalent" for setting levels? They sound so different. Did any of my changes affect the Audyssey eq curve? Should I use dynamic eq and volume? Are there any determinal effects from either? Thanks!
Try swapping the SL/SR speaker wires and run Audyssey again. The tones generated during the Audyssey setup are a full range 20Hz - 20KHz signal. The Audyssey mic is generally very accurate; however, using an SPL generally does not provide accurate results for a sub.

--------

post #3883 of 4090 Old 05-30-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try swapping the SL/SR speaker wires and run Audyssey again. The tones generated during the Audyssey setup are a full range 20Hz - 20KHz signal. The Audyssey mic is generally very accurate; however, using an SPL generally does not provide accurate results for a sub.
Good idea. I'll try that

Something else... I know Audyssey's subwoofer "distance" setting isn't really the physical distance, but the signal/phase response in relation to the mains, correct? Audyssey is setting my sub distance the within a foot of my mains. If I want to test that theory, (sub doesn't have a phase switch) I should be able to reverse phase of the other speakers and see a much bigger difference is mains vs sub "distance" after running Audyssey, yes?

Lastly, I thought Chris from Audyssey said making changes to speaker settings after running Audyssey wouldn't affect it, but page 192 of my 7008 manual says if u make changes in the manual speaker setup, u can no longer use Audyssey or dynamic eq or dynamic volume. I'm confused. Is that referring to just changing speaker output levels or setting speaker size or xover settings?

Last edited by g.costanza; 05-30-2015 at 05:35 AM.
post #3884 of 4090 Old 05-30-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One more thing. I know Audyssey's subwoofer "distance" setting isn't really the physical distance, but the signal/phase response in relation to the mains, correct?
There is something called group delay introduced by the sub's plate amp. If there is any DSP being carried out on the sub's plate amp (such as limiting excursion of the driver) it will be taken into account of in the sub distance setting by Audyssey.

Quote:
...Audyssey is setting my sub distance the within a foot of my mains. If I want to test that theory, (sub doesn't have a phase switch) I should be able to reverse phase of the other speakers and see a much bigger difference is mains vs sub "distance" after running Audyssey, yes?
When you do this, Audyssey will warn you that the phase of the speakers are incorrect.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #3885 of 4090 Old 05-30-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
There is something called group delay introduced by the sub's plate amp. If there is any DSP being carried out on the sub's plate amp (such as limiting excursion of the driver) it will be taken into account of in the sub distance setting by Audyssey.

When you do this, Audyssey will warn you that the phase of the speakers are incorrect.
It already said my fronts were out of phase. They are not, but I reversed them anyway and it still said the right front was still out of phase. I put them back to what I know is correct phase. They are bipolar (not bipolar) btw.
They have 1 woofer and 1 tweeter on the front and back.
post #3886 of 4090 Old 05-30-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
I thought it adjusted timing of signal going to sub so it was in phase with mains. Am I wrong? I know u can manually adjust sub distance in most receivers to adjust for phase differences. I thought Audyssey was doing this automatically.
post #3887 of 4090 Old 05-30-2015, 08:41 AM

Ok. I've checked polarity of all speakers with 9 volt battery. All woofers are wired correctly. Can't speak for the tweeters.

I've reversed polarity of all 4 speakers in my 4.1 system on the back of the receiver. I've also swapped the left and rear surrounds. This will kill 2 birds with one stone. I want to see if Audyssey "moves" my subwoofer's distance due to being out of phase with the mains (no phase switch on sub) and if the higher output of my right rear surround is the speaker itself or the acoustics of its position. I'll run Audyssey this afternoon when I can get a quiet room, and post results.
post #3888 of 4090 Old 05-30-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought it adjusted timing of signal going to sub so it was in phase with mains. Am I wrong? I know u can manually adjust sub distance in most receivers to adjust for phase differences. I thought Audyssey was doing this automatically.
Your Marantz receiver (through Audyssey) does time align all speakers so that the sound waves reaches the Main Listening Position (MLP) at the same time - this is called adjusting delays or trim. The receiver also sets the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) for each speaker so that at the MLP, reference value of 85dB is acheived - this is called adjusting levels. The phase issues are different as it will not be constant and is freqeuncy dependent.

The manual adjustment of the sub distance on the receiver is referred to as the sub distance tweak. The purpose is to smooth out the splice at the crossover frequency between the mains and sub. I.e one does not have a peak or dip at the crossover point.

To check phase angles for each channel and implement the sub distance tweak will require room measurements. REW and a calibrated USB mic is your friend here. Let me know if you're interested and I'll point you to a very useful guide here in AVS.

Your bipolar speakers from Def Tech have a unique design and is a bit different from standard speakers - in that the sound radiation patterns are shaped like a figure 8. You will need to give the BP8 towers sufficient space from the rear wall to minimize the back reflection interference that maybe confusing Audyssey. See Keith Barnes post on the Audyssey FAQ for more information.

Last edited by steveting99; 05-31-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo and additional text for clarity.
post #3889 of 4090 Old 05-30-2015, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Zone 2 issues --7008

SR7008
I tried setting up zone 2 by using HDMI to a Sony. It did not like that at all.
Shut down immediately. I assumed if HDMI Zone 2 out could go to a TV with it's own amped speakers, it could also be used for HDMI input to a receiver.
Reading the manual though it appears it is only analog out to Zone 2 audio (amp/receiver).
That works of course but the volume is so low, I have the Sony turned all the way up and the only way to raise the volume more is to turn it up on the Marantz.

Anyone care to explain this to me.

Music, more music.
post #3890 of 4090 Old 05-30-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
SR7008
I tried setting up zone 2 by using HDMI to a Sony. It did not like that at all.
Shut down immediately. I assumed if HDMI Zone 2 out could go to a TV with it's own amped speakers, it could also be used for HDMI input to a receiver.
Reading the manual though it appears it is only analog out to Zone 2 audio (amp/receiver).
That works of course but the volume is so low, I have the Sony turned all the way up and the only way to raise the volume more is to turn it up on the Marantz.

Anyone care to explain this to me.
The Zone 2 HDMI monitor output is designed to be connected directly to a TV (using the TV's speakers) or to another AVR. If it's not working, there is likely an HDMI handshake issue with the Sony. What is the length of the HDMI cable? Try connecting to another TV if available or another HDMI input on the main TV to test the output. Also try all of the inputs on the Sony as well as using another cable.

--------

post #3891 of 4090 Old 05-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Good idea. I'll try that

Lastly, I thought Chris from Audyssey said making changes to speaker settings after running Audyssey wouldn't affect it, but page 192 of my 7008 manual says if u make changes in the manual speaker setup, u can no longer use Audyssey or dynamic eq or dynamic volume. I'm confused. Is that referring to just changing speaker output levels or setting speaker size or xover settings?

The owner's manual is confusing on that point. You can make any manual changes you want to in the Speaker Menu without affecting your calibration (the filters Audyssey sets) in any way. If you make manual adjustments to the individual speaker levels, it slightly changes where DEQ is operating with respect to Reference, but it won't hurt anything. The FAQ, linked below, explains this in more detail.
post #3892 of 4090 Old 05-31-2015, 02:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
other speakers and see a much bigger difference is mains vs sub "distance" after running Audyssey, yes?

It's only referring to adding more speakers to the configuration after having run Audyssey.

--------

post #3893 of 4090 Old 05-31-2015, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
red blinking light on my 7008... Don't know what it is, but it is not a fast paced sequence, the receiver will work sometimes (watch two movies last night), but this morning I turned it on and it turned off after maybe a minute and the light was blinking!... any ideas guys?... I've tried unplugging it for 10m, but the problem persist.
thank you.
post #3894 of 4090 Old 05-31-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^
A slow blinking light (1x every 2 seconds) generally indicates a ventilation issue. Insure you have at least 3-4" clearance on top with an open front an back if on a shelf.

--------

post #3895 of 4090 Old 05-31-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Just ordered an sr5008, my first marantz. Coming from the 4520ci I'm hoping it will sound half as good.
post #3896 of 4090 Old 05-31-2015, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi All,

I finally had a chance to run Audyssey from the MLP.
I have a some Q's.

1) from what i read i should set my speakers to small regardless of what it set them at, true?
2) the sub x-over was set to 120
3) the centre channel is easily lost during a movie over powered by the fronts. I've started to play around manually adjusting adding much more then a few db, but that doesn't see right. Ideas?
4) from the Audy thread, i should have been prompted to run the calibration multiple times, it only ran once...

Feedback is appreciated.

Cheers!
post #3897 of 4090 Old 05-31-2015, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
Just ordered an sr5008, my first marantz. Coming from the 4520ci I'm hoping it will sound half as good.
Hi AlphaPie,

The Marantz SR-5008 has the lower end Audyssey XT room equalization algorithms which is a setup down from the Denon 4520ci that has the top end Audyssey XT32 with sub EQ HT.

The Denon was the previous flag ship receiver model, decent amp section to drive 4 ohm loads to reference levels and made in Japan.

The Marantz SR-5008 is the bottom entry receiver model.

Unless you're thinking of connecting the SR-5008 with external amps to your speakers, the Denon 4520ci would provide more power.

post #3898 of 4090 Old 05-31-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoc13 View Post
Hi All,

I have a some Q's.

1) from what i read i should set my speakers to small regardless of what it set them at, true? Forget large, small, etc. U should set the xover for all channels to 80 hz
2) the sub x-over was set to 120. Not exactly. That's the Low Frequency Effects. It can be adjusted but 120 is correct.
3) the centre channel is easily lost during a movie over powered by the fronts. I've started to play around manually adjusting adding much more then a few db, but that doesn't see right. Ideas?
4) from the Audy thread, i should have been prompted to run the calibration multiple times, it only ran once... It should ask u to place mic in 8 different positions during a single setup.

Feedback is appreciated.

Cheers!
post #3899 of 4090 Old 05-31-2015, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi All,

I have a some Q's.

1) from what i read i should set my speakers to small regardless of what it set them at, true?
General recommendation is to enable bass management by setting all speakers to SMALL. Crossover set to 80Hz - depends on your speaker manufacturer's -3dB point at the low end. If Audyssey has set a higher crossover frequency, general recommendation is not to go below this as there is no filtering beyond what Audyssey has determined the F3 point of each speaker is.

Quote:
...2) the sub x-over was set to 120
Are you referring to Low Pass Filter (LPF) for the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) that's shown for the sub? If so, leave it as it is for the time being.

Quote:
...3) the centre channel is easily lost during a movie over powered by the fronts. I've started to play around manually adjusting adding much more then a few db, but that doesn't see right. Ideas?
Best to have check the placement of the center speaker and aim it towards the listening position and where your head is. Also check if there are any obstructions around the center speaker that could be affecting the sound waves from reaching you. Nearby flat surfaces will cause early reflection issues that will distort the sound waves. After doing all these checks, you can adjust the dialogue level up by a few dB if need be.

Quote:
...4) from the Audy thread, i should have been prompted to run the calibration multiple times, it only ran once...

Feedback is appreciated.

Cheers!
If you've got XT32, run all 8 positions when doing the Audyssey auto calibration. A tight mic pattern starting from the center of the head (MLP) has produced pleasing results. All positions are relative to the MLP.

1. MLP and center of head.
2. MLP + 3" forward, approximately where your nose is.
3. MLP + 3" up , approximately top of your head.
4. MLP + 3" up + 3" forward, approximately where your forehead is.
5. MLP + 3" left, approximately where your left ear is.
6. MLP + 3" right, approximately where your right ear is.
7. MLP + 6" left.
8. MLP + 6" right.

The general recommendation is to use a boom stand mic to obtain consistent results.

post #3900 of 4090 Old 06-01-2015, 03:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hi All,

I have a some Q's.

2) the sub x-over was set to 120
4) from the Audy thread, i should have been prompted to run the calibration multiple times, it only ran once...

Feedback is appreciated.

Cheers!
In addition to what Steve has suggested regarding proper angling of the center speaker also ensure the center speaker is pulled out to the edge of the shelf. If you do make these adjustments, ensure to run Audyssey again. If you have Dynamic EQ enabled (boosts bass/surrounds at lower volume levels), try setting the Reference Level Offset to -10db which should help to improve the dialog as well. What center speaker are you using as it should be as good as (if not better) quality than your FL/FR speakers? 85% of all dialog (and all movie audio for that matter) will be coming from that center speaker so you may want to consider upgrading your center speaker. Although using Audyssey MultEQ XT, I found I had to bump the center channel a few db, using XT32 (as on your SR7008), no adjustment has been necessary, in fact in some cases it's too loud and I have to lower the volume.

--------

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page