The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 144Likes

Old 10-01-2015, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought it was one year warranty. Well back to Just Audio!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2015, 06:12 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10319 Post(s)
Liked: 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goldman View Post
I thought it was one year warranty. Well back to Just Audio!
A "refurb" has a 1 year warranty.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, SVS, Oppo

Ask me how to get a FREE HEOS 1 HS2 wireless/Bluetooth speaker.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 408
SR7008 Bass Output Weaker

Out of the blue, it seems my SR7008's bass signal from the Subwoofer 1&2 outputs suddenly has dropped down to half, as if the signal has been reduced and needs to be compensated. I turned it on and immediately noticed the drastic reduction in bass...and I tried to increase the gain on the subs...with just 3-4 clicks the bass increases gradually but doesn't outrun the speakers, but now it seems to run too hot when gain is taken up as I had done before without any issues...creating a much larger imbalance between the speakers and the subs.

The subwoofer trim levels on the AVR were normally set at -10 to -12...over multiple Audyssey measurements taken for over a year. Now it's setting trim levels on the avr abnormally high at -0 or +4...numbers I never had to use for the 14+ months I've had this AVR.

I'm not sure, but it seems midbass has dropped out a bit too. Everything just sounds off now. There seems to be imbalance between the highs and lows that wasn't there before.

I've eliminated some possible links in the chain...4 different wires tested and 4 different subs tested...nothing in the room is different. I have even performed a factory reset and Audyssey the issue is still there. I'm guessing it might be hardware since nothing else changed since I last used it.

Thoughts?

Last edited by asoofi1; 10-01-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
center channel volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerkon View Post
I have the SR5008. Is it possible to have a different center channel level for different sources? For example, I have my center channel turned up a bit for movies and t.v. (when source is set to blu-ray) but I'd like to have it lower when listening to music (when I switch source to CD). I thought maybe the manual speaker setup controlled the overall speaker levels and the dialog level option in the audio setup would be adjustable per source, but that seems not to be the case, unless I'm not seeing something. Any thoughts, anyone?
A question raised by your question: What settings do you use when listening to CDS and using the center-channel speaker? My old receiver had a "3-channel stereo" mode, but the SR7008 seems to give me "all" channels including surrounds, or just two-channel. Thanks. Jack
Old 10-04-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Out of the blue, it seems my SR7008's bass signal from the Subwoofer 1&2 outputs suddenly has dropped down to half, as if the signal has been reduced and needs to be compensated. I turned it on and immediately noticed the drastic reduction in bass...and I tried to increase the gain on the subs...with just 3-4 clicks the bass increases gradually but doesn't outrun the speakers, but now it seems to run too hot when gain is taken up as I had done before without any issues...creating a much larger imbalance between the speakers and the subs.

The subwoofer trim levels on the AVR were normally set at -10 to -12...over multiple Audyssey measurements taken for over a year. Now it's setting trim levels on the avr abnormally high at -0 or +4...numbers I never had to use for the 14+ months I've had this AVR.

I'm not sure, but it seems midbass has dropped out a bit too. Everything just sounds off now. There seems to be imbalance between the highs and lows that wasn't there before.

I've eliminated some possible links in the chain...4 different wires tested and 4 different subs tested...nothing in the room is different. I have even performed a factory reset and Audyssey the issue is still there. I'm guessing it might be hardware since nothing else changed since I last used it.

Thoughts?
Hi asoofi1,

Do you have a digital multi-meter lying around in the house somewhere? If you do, what you want to do is to measure the output voltage of sub1 and sub2 and compare the values.

The test method is to play a 60Hz sine wave test tone from a CD at 0dB on the Master Volume. Google is your friend on finding and download the test tone then burn onto a CD.

Set all your sub levels to zero. With the digital multi-meter, check the Vrms for sub1. Then compare to sub2. Are they both the same Vrms? If not, then there's a problem with the pre-amp circuit and the receiver needs to be taken into for service.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Hi asoofi1,

Do you have a digital multi-meter lying around in the house somewhere? If you do, what you want to do is to measure the output voltage of sub1 and sub2 and compare the values.

The test method is to play a 60Hz sine wave test tone from a CD at 0dB on the Master Volume. Google is your friend on finding and download the test tone then burn onto a CD.

Set all your sub levels to zero. With the digital multi-meter, check the Vrms for sub1. Then compare to sub2. Are they both the same Vrms? If not, then there's a problem with the pre-amp circuit and the receiver needs to be taken into for service.
Thank you for the tip...I wish I owned a multi-meter, but I'll have to get my hands on one to test it out. I'll post any updates once I get it checked.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Will the SR 7008 pass thought 4K from some of the new 4K streaming devices to a 4K TV?
Old 10-14-2015, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler webb View Post
Will the SR 7008 pass thought 4K from some of the new 4K streaming devices to a 4K TV?
Yes, but...
The but comes from the fact that it does not do full-speed (60fps) 4K. Of course I don't know if there are any sources that produce that yet.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Overheating

I have my 7008 in a cabinet with slotted door and a thermostatically controlled fan and it still overheats sometimes--even under moderate loads.

I can solve it by leaving the cabinet door open, but that is not very aesthetically pleasing.
I guess that is just the nature of the beast.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Clicking Sound

Have any of you dealt with the clicking sound when changing channels?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:29 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler webb View Post
Only if it is not HDCP 2.2 and only at 4k/30Hz.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, SVS, Oppo

Old 10-14-2015, 07:30 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzzie View Post
Have any of you dealt with the clicking sound when changing channels?
You can avoid this by setting your cable/sat box to output all channels at a fixed resolution (eg. 1080i).

------------

Old 10-14-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodil View Post
I have my 7008 in a cabinet with slotted door and a thermostatically controlled fan and it still overheats sometimes--even under moderate loads.

I can solve it by leaving the cabinet door open, but that is not very aesthetically pleasing.
I guess that is just the nature of the beast.
Is the thermostat sensor placed on top of the aluminium surface of the SR-7008 where the HDMI boards are? If not, it could be just measuring the air temperature of the cabinet which is lower than the metal surface of the SR-7008.

You might want to consider an individual cooling unit for the SR-7008 such as this one from Don McKenzie.

The exhausted hot air from your cabinet fan needs to be expelled high up to the outside and allow cool air drawn to be drawn to the base of the SR-7008. Ensure that there are no flow restrictions for your cooling solution(s). The general path is that hot air rises.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

RE: Umik-1 w/Mac - FR speaker not receiving signal

SR7008...but maybe applicable to other Marantz models...

Using a Macbook Pro to send test tones via OS X's Audio MIDI built in app...thru here you can select 5.1, 7.1, etc, and send test signal tone to individual speakers via HDMI.

For some reason, the Front Right is not getting any signal from the laptop. When playing the level tones on the 7008, all speakers are playing fine.

Is there a certain input mode the 7008 should be in to accept the signal from my MBP laptop, or should the Audio MIDI have different settings? I've tried different movie & music modes...and can't seem to make it work.

I'm following these instructions: https://www.minidsp.com/applications...-1-hdmi-on-mac
Old 10-24-2015, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a question about the TUNER? (if anybody but me still uses this )

After I had an issue with the media server playback, I attempted to reset the network adapter according to the instructions from marantz support. However, my first attempt of doing this was not successful, so some tuner setup was on the display. I just pushed the power button without going into any of the settings and proceeded to reset the network adapter according to instructions. However, since then, my tuner seems to have lower reception, and drops out when someone walks through the room for example.
Could I have caused this by changing some advanced (i.e. hidden) setting of the tuner? If so, is there something I could do to reset this also? Or should I just buy some kind of improved tuner antenna and which one? For some reason, I could not connect the IEC plug, so I am stuck with the indoor antenna provided with the unit.

Last edited by AVSnewbie123; 10-24-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:24 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSnewbie123 View Post
I have a question about the TUNER? (if anybody but me still uses this )

After I had an issue with the media server playback, I attempted to reset the network adapter according to the instructions from marantz support. However, my first attempt of doing this was not successful, so some tuner setup was on the display. I just pushed the power button without going into any of the settings and proceeded to reset the network adapter according to instructions. However, since then, my tuner seems to have lower reception, and drops out when someone walks through the room for example.
Could I have caused this by changing some advanced (i.e. hidden) setting of the tuner? If so, is there something I could do to reset this also? Or should I just buy some kind of improved tuner antenna and which one? For some reason, I could not connect the IEC plug, so I am stuck with the indoor antenna provided with the unit.
There are numerous "hidden" installer sequences so it is possible which includes a TUNER procedure, however, AFAIK, it is only to change the step in frequency when making adjustments and then only on the Europe models. I would call Denon support back and explain your issue, otherwise, doing a microprocessor reset as noted in post 5 of this thread should resolve the issue as all settings would be restored to factory defaults. If you have previously saved a copy of the config.dat file to your PC using the Web Control feature, you could also try LOADing that back to the AVR.

------------

Old 10-24-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
There are numerous "hidden" installer sequences so it is possible which includes a TUNER procedure, however, AFAIK, it is only to change the step in frequency when making adjustments and then only on the Europe models. I would call Denon support back and explain your issue, otherwise, doing a microprocessor reset as noted in post 5 of this thread should resolve the issue as all settings would be restored to factory defaults. If you have previously saved a copy of the config.dat file to your PC using the Web Control feature, you could also try LOADing that back to the AVR.
jdsmoothie,

You are the MAN!!! Thanks for the quick reply. I dont see how the frequency step would affect the reception... I have one more question though, wont reloading the config.dat reload the tuner settings as well?
Old 10-24-2015, 01:44 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
jdsmoothie,

You are the MAN!!! Thanks for the quick reply. I dont see how the frequency step would affect the reception... I have one more question though, wont reloading the config.dat reload the tuner settings as well?
Right. I wouldn't think that particular TUNER procedure would cause your issue as well. In order to resolve your issue, your options would be to first reload a previously saved config.dat file (if available) or just do a microprocessor reset and start over again. If the issue still presents, then purchasing a more powerful external antenna would be the next step.

------------

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 10-24-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Right. I wouldn't think that particular TUNER procedure would cause your issue as well. In order to resolve your issue, your options would be to first reload a previously saved config.dat file (if available) or just do a microprocessor reset and start over again. If the issue still presents, then purchasing a more powerful external antenna would be the step.
Thanks!

Will the microprocessor reset also reset the speaker calibration settings?
Old 10-24-2015, 02:04 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Thanks!

Will the microprocessor reset also reset the speaker calibration settings?
Yup ... you will lose Audyssey as well.

------------

Old 10-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I was just listening to a file I downloaded from HD tracks onto a usb stick. And it suddenly stopped playing. I have played the whole cd that I downloaded before. I put usb in input in 7008 and I had 3 cd's on this stick, I highlighted the cd I wanted to play hit play, and the first song played fine, when it went to the 2nd song, it won't bring up the song and play, I can go back and get a read out of all the tracks and scroll down to a song, but when I hit enter the track won't come up and play, I tried using another stick with other cd's on it and the same thing. ANy suggestions what could be going on?
Thanks,
Rick

RickP.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:07 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPas View Post
I was just listening to a file I downloaded from HD tracks onto a usb stick. And it suddenly stopped playing. I have played the whole cd that I downloaded before. I put usb in input in 7008 and I had 3 cd's on this stick, I highlighted the cd I wanted to play hit play, and the first song played fine, when it went to the 2nd song, it won't bring up the song and play, I can go back and get a read out of all the tracks and scroll down to a song, but when I hit enter the track won't come up and play, I tried using another stick with other cd's on it and the same thing. ANy suggestions what could be going on?
Thanks,
Rick
Artwork is limited to only 500x500 pixels, so if included, remove it and you should be good to go.

------------

Old 10-25-2015, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know what you mean by artwork, could you explain more...It always played before, and I have 2 different usb sticks that I can't seem to play.
Thanks

RickP.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:29 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by artwork, could you explain more...It always played before, and I have 2 different usb sticks that I can't seem to play.
Thanks
Album artwork .. the image of the album that can display on the TV.

------------

Old 10-25-2015, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

I never had any image of the album. When it would play the name of the cd and track and general info would play.

RickP.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

So I tried putting my wifes Iphone into usb port to playback and nothing plays, it plays on the phone but when you plug into usb port, you get no audio and nothing appears on tv display....So I guess something happened to the usb port....Any suggestions to fix this problem....
RIck

RickP.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I never had any image of the album. When it would play the name of the cd and track and general info would play.
Check the embedded image for each tune.

In Windows, using Explorer, right click on the tune and select properties. On the tabs, select ID-Tag. You will see if there is an embedded image for the tune as well as the pixel resolution. Is it more than 500x500? If so, you'll need to change the image so that it is equal to or less than this resolution.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Check the embedded image for each tune.

In Windows, using Explorer, right click on the tune and select properties. On the tabs, select ID-Tag. You will see if there is an embedded image for the tune as well as the pixel resolution. Is it more than 500x500? If so, you'll need to change the image so that it is equal to or less than this resolution.
What I don't understand is why did it always play and now suddenly stop playing after one song played. And why won't the Iphone work from same usb port?

RickP.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I own the SR5008 and would like clarification on the following: "100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven"

Three questions:

1. Does this mean that if I use only the L and R channels that each channel is capable of sending 100 watts to each speaker, if needed?
2. If I use 5 channels, LCR and a pair of surrounds, does the wattage sent by each channel to its respective speaker decrease? In other words, if 5 channels are being used, is it no longer possible to send 100 watts to any of them?
3. If I decide to go with a 3.1 setup instead of 5.1, does this effectively allow more wattage to be available to the 3 active channels, thereby producing more "headroom" and potentially higher quality sound than a 5.1 setup?

Thanks for your replies!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1165 View Post
I own the SR5008 and would like clarification on the following: "100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven"

Three questions:

1. Does this mean that if I use only the L and R channels that each channel is capable of sending 100 watts to each speaker, if needed?
2. If I use 5 channels, LCR and a pair of surrounds, does the wattage sent by each channel to its respective speaker decrease? In other words, if 5 channels are being used, is it no longer possible to send 100 watts to any of them?
3. If I decide to go with a 3.1 setup instead of 5.1, does this effectively allow more wattage to be available to the 3 active channels, thereby producing more "headroom" and potentially higher quality sound than a 5.1 setup?

Thanks for your replies!
Hi mac1165,

Will try and answer to your questions as best I can.
1. Yes. For 2-channel playback, each channel will get 100W.
2. Yes. For 5-channel playback, each channel will be a lot less than 100W.
3. Yes. For 3-channel playback, each channel will be less than 100W but more than for 5 channel. If you implement the sub (the 0.1 in a 5.1 speaker setup) and bass management, it will reduce the power demand for each speaker due to passing of the energy intensive low frequencies to a more capable sub. This is one of the best ways to obtain some headroom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008