The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 144Likes

Old 11-05-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPas View Post
I only downloaded the VLC media player, I thought either one would be able to edit the idtag, so I went with the free download first....
dBPoweramp is free to try for 21 days. This should give you sufficient time to edit the ID tags of a single FLAC file (i.e. remove the album art), put onto a USB thumb drive that's been formatted to FAT16 or FAT32 and plug into into the Marantz receiver USB port to test if it can play.

If the suggested test does work (i.e. without album art in the FLAC file), then you can grab a 500x500 pixel album art work on the net (Google is your friend here) and re-insert it back into the single FLAC file to test again on the Marantz receiver USB port - does it play?

If the above tests pass, then you have identified the problem of why the FLAC files do not play.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2015, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
At moderate volume levels (ie. no higher then roughly 60/-20db) should be fine, but higher volume may cause the AVR to shut down in protection mode.
Thank you for the answer!

Can I play all sources in ZONE 2 through these, and is there a difference of available sources if I use a 4ohm stereo power amp for zone 2?
Old 11-06-2015, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

My coworker gave me a demo of his Marantz M-CR610 hooked up to a pair of Totem Acoustic Kin Mini's and Kin Sub and was absolutely blown away by the musicality of the setup. I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR809 that has worked perfectly and sounds great for movies, but has always left me wanting when listening to music. My setup is:

Fronts: Totem Acoustic Winds (4 ohms)
Rears: Totem Acoustic Sttafs (8 ohms)
Center: Totem Acoustic Mite-T center (4 ohms)

When I move to a house I will have a proper 7.1 setup with Mite-Ts for the rears/surrounds and the Sttafs will be used for a Zone-2 setup. I want to replace my Onkyo with a Marantz and have a few questions:

-Although the M-CR610 is a standalone unit targeted for CD/digital play sources, would the SR7008 have similar music playback quality? I.e, same DACs?

-I have never had a problem running my 4ohm speakers on AV receivers that do not support 4 ohms, so I am guessing it will not be a problem with the SR7008?

-I have seen some specials on the SR7009, should I bite the bullet and spend an extra $400 for the 7009? I think that is rated down to 4 ohms?

I have slowly built up my speaker setup over the years (the Winds alone would have cost nearly $10k CAD (after taxes) if bought new ) so people always ask my why I have a cheaper AVR hooked up to those badboys. Honestly, even my old HK 235 sounded great for music, so I am just looking for a AVR that can handle music well for now. I am renting so I cannot start setting up a real man-cave. Thanks in advance for any tips and I can't wait to jump on the Marantz bandwagon! That M-CR610 is phenomenal.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
dBPoweramp is free to try for 21 days. This should give you sufficient time to edit the ID tags of a single FLAC file (i.e. remove the album art), put onto a USB thumb drive that's been formatted to FAT16 or FAT32 and plug into into the Marantz receiver USB port to test if it can play.

If the suggested test does work (i.e. without album art in the FLAC file), then you can grab a 500x500 pixel album art work on the net (Google is your friend here) and re-insert it back into the single FLAC file to test again on the Marantz receiver USB port - does it play?

If the above tests pass, then you have identified the problem of why the FLAC files do not play.
So I downloaded dBpoweramp, was able to go in and edit idtags, each track was at 600x600. So I removed it in each track. Formatted usb to fat32, put edited tracks on drive. Put in Marantz and when the track name comes up I hit enter and still nothing. it just reads 0.00 0% and still won't play....

RickP.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
external power amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1165 View Post
Thanks a bunch steveting99 and jdsmoothie for confirming my thoughts.

Another question for anyone: I'm strongly considering purchasing three of these monoblocks for the Left, Center, and Right channels: http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

As a reminder, I own the SR5008.

Does anyone have experience using 200 watt monoblocks with their Marantz receiver or any 100 watt (2 channels driven) receiver? Just wondering what difference in quality I'm likely to experience.

My speaker setup is the following. I plan on replacing my current Primus speakers with the Reference line as my finances allow:

Left and Right Fronts: Infinity Primus P363
Center: Infinity Primus PC351
Left and Right Side Surrounds: Infinity Reference RS152
Dual Subs: Infinity Reference SUB R10
I know it goes against conventional wisdom (i.e., that all amplifiers driven within their limits, sound the same), but my subjective experience is that using seriously "over-powered" external amplifiers can result in increased clarity, an absence of "congestion" when playing music with massed orchestra or voices. Try it...you can always sell them if you don't think there's enough improvement (or any) to justify the cost. Just my 2ยข.

dJack
Old 11-07-2015, 08:58 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9861 Post(s)
Liked: 4584
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsys View Post
Hi Folks,

My coworker gave me a demo of his Marantz M-CR610 hooked up to a pair of Totem Acoustic Kin Mini's and Kin Sub and was absolutely blown away by the musicality of the setup. I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR809 that has worked perfectly and sounds great for movies, but has always left me wanting when listening to music. My setup is:

Fronts: Totem Acoustic Winds (4 ohms)
Rears: Totem Acoustic Sttafs (8 ohms)
Center: Totem Acoustic Mite-T center (4 ohms)

When I move to a house I will have a proper 7.1 setup with Mite-Ts for the rears/surrounds and the Sttafs will be used for a Zone-2 setup. I want to replace my Onkyo with a Marantz and have a few questions:

-Although the M-CR610 is a standalone unit targeted for CD/digital play sources, would the SR7008 have similar music playback quality? I.e, same DACs?

-I have never had a problem running my 4ohm speakers on AV receivers that do not support 4 ohms, so I am guessing it will not be a problem with the SR7008?

-I have seen some specials on the SR7009, should I bite the bullet and spend an extra $400 for the 7009? I think that is rated down to 4 ohms?

I have slowly built up my speaker setup over the years (the Winds alone would have cost nearly $10k CAD (after taxes) if bought new ) so people always ask my why I have a cheaper AVR hooked up to those badboys. Honestly, even my old HK 235 sounded great for music, so I am just looking for a AVR that can handle music well for now. I am renting so I cannot start setting up a real man-cave. Thanks in advance for any tips and I can't wait to jump on the Marantz bandwagon! That M-CR610 is phenomenal.

Yes, the HDAM pre-amps on the "SR" models is known to provide especially good detailed music playback. No difference in power between SR7008 and SR7009 (ie. neither is rated for 4-ohms, rather the SR7009 simply features a 4-ohm current limiting switch) so select the SR7009 only if you want the additional feature set offered (eg. Atmos).

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:01 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSnewbie123 View Post
Thank you for the answer!

Can I play all sources in ZONE 2 through these, and is there a difference of available sources if I use a 4ohm stereo power amp for zone 2?
Not with the SR5008, no, rather you would have to upgrade to the SR6008 to play HDMI PCM 2.0 sources independently to Zone 2. No difference in sources able to pass to Zone 2 when using the Zone 2 pre-outs vice the speaker posts.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So I downloaded dBpoweramp, was able to go in and edit idtags, each track was at 600x600. So I removed it in each track. Formatted usb to fat32, put edited tracks on drive. Put in Marantz and when the track name comes up I hit enter and still nothing. it just reads 0.00 0% and still won't play....
Rick,

Can you up-load a single FLAC file into your dropbox account and send me the link? I'll test that FLAC file out for you on my Marantz receiver via the USB input.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:00 AM

Liked: 0
Question SR7008 Will Not Power On

Steps that possibly lead to the problem
  • I unplugged the great AVR temporarily while it was in standby mode (didn't hear any odd noises at this moment)
  • I waited 15 minutes then reconnected the power cord
  • Discovered the power indicator light was not illuminating

I would like to imagine that this piece of AVR glorly can't be damaged so easily.

My unsuccessful resolution attempts
  • Pressing/and holding the power button
  • Different A/C outlets (which are functioning with other devices)
  • Removed any connections from the back panel expect speaker wire while attempting another power reset

There are no odd noises/sounds when I reattach the power cord. Is it possible the amps are in a state of protection? If anyone could offer some help or guidance it would greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello, I have a Marantz SR5009. I've had it about 6 months with no issues. Recently I was listening to a record and it sounded very muffled. When I change the mode from 'stereo' mode to Dolby surround it sounds great...the issue seems to be stereo mode only. Turntable, cd, media player, and tv all sound bad on stereo but great on surround. This is very recent issue. My records have sounded great until just yesterday. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in adavance.

I am relatively ignorant to A/V issues so hopefully someone can help! :smiley:
Old 11-08-2015, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I should also add that I switched out my front speakers and had the same issue.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:46 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenanda View Post
Steps that possibly lead to the problem
  • I unplugged the great AVR temporarily while it was in standby mode (didn't hear any odd noises at this moment)
  • I waited 15 minutes then reconnected the power cord
  • Discovered the power indicator light was not illuminating

I would like to imagine that this piece of AVR glorly can't be damaged so easily.

My unsuccessful resolution attempts
  • Pressing/and holding the power button
  • Different A/C outlets (which are functioning with other devices)
  • Removed any connections from the back panel expect speaker wire while attempting another power reset

There are no odd noises/sounds when I reattach the power cord. Is it possible the amps are in a state of protection? If anyone could offer some help or guidance it would greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
You don't need to "hold" the power button, rather simply press and release. If the unit will not power on, try doing a microprocessor reset (p. 241 Owner's manual).

------------

Old 11-08-2015, 01:49 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce1234 View Post
Hello, I have a Marantz SR5009. I've had it about 6 months with no issues. Recently I was listening to a record and it sounded very muffled. When I change the mode from 'stereo' mode to Dolby surround it sounds great...the issue seems to be stereo mode only. Turntable, cd, media player, and tv all sound bad on stereo but great on surround. This is very recent issue. My records have sounded great until just yesterday. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in adavance.

I am relatively ignorant to A/V issues so hopefully someone can help! :smiley:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce1234 View Post
I should also add that I switched out my front speakers and had the same issue.

The SR5009 is a 2014 model whereas this is the 2013 "SR" model thread. Please repost in the correct thread linked below ...

Marantz SR5009 - SR6009 Non-Atmos Discussion

------------

Old 11-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Hey guys, I'm just setting up the Marantz SR7008 for a 3 channel (Front L&R and centre) setup for now with bi-wiring the front speakers (Klipsch RF-82II)

I'm having a bit of difficulty getting to the right settings. So far I've tried a few things, but keep getting a very low volume output in comparison to not bi-amping. Not sure if I am doing this correctly but my setup is as follows: 7.1ch (bi-amp) assigned mode, not exactly sure what to set for the main speaker setting between front high/wide settings. The wiring is set up as following: The tweeters of the speakers are connected to the main R&L connections on the back of the amp and the woofers connected to the front wide L&R connections on the back of the amp.

I have also tried the 5.1ch bi-amp amp assigned with the woofers connected to the surround back L&R connections.

Both of the setups yield weak volumes in comparison to before having bi-amped the speakers throughout the three speakers. Any advice would be highly appreciated!
Old 11-08-2015, 03:41 PM

Bi-Amping issues

Hey guys, I'm just setting up the Marantz SR7008 for a 3 channel (Front L&R and centre) setup for now with bi-wiring the front speakers (Klipsch RF-82II)

I'm having a bit of difficulty getting to the right settings. So far I've tried a few things, but keep getting a very low volume output in comparison to not bi-amping. Not sure if I am doing this correctly but my setup is as follows: 7.1ch (bi-amp) assigned mode, not exactly sure what to set for the main speaker setting between front high/wide settings. The wiring is set up as following: The tweeters of the speakers are connected to the main R&L connections on the back of the amp and the woofers connected to the front wide L&R connections on the back of the amp.

I have also tried the 5.1ch bi-amp amp assigned with the woofers connected to the surround back L&R connections.

Both of the setups yield weak volumes in comparison to before having bi-amped the speakers throughout the three speakers. Any advice would be highly appreciated!
Old 11-08-2015, 03:47 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei P View Post

Bi-wiring and bi-amping use two different wiring configurations, neither of which is likely to provide any additional benefit, although in either case the jumper connecting each set of speaker posts on the speakers, should be removed. Go with a traditional wiring and call it a day.

------------

Old 11-08-2015, 03:56 PM

Bi-wiring I can see to be a waste of time but, with using separate amp's for highs and lows, I would have thought to be a different case. Seems as though there's not a lot of benefit gained, at least on how I set it up. Theres a lot of settings on this beast.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
You don't need to "hold" the power button, rather simply press and release. If the unit will not power on, try doing a microprocessor reset (p. 241 Owner's manual).
Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately it had no effect. I'm assuming the device isn't receiving any power which could be why.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:03 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei P View Post
Bi-wiring I can see to be a waste of time but, with using separate amp's for highs and lows, I would have thought to be a different case. Seems as though there's not a lot of benefit gained, at least on how I set it up. Theres a lot of settings on this beast.
There's only one power supply on the AVR ... now if you were using separate "external" amps ... that would be a different story.

------------

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 11-09-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Rick,

Can you up-load a single FLAC file into your dropbox account and send me the link? I'll test that FLAC file out for you on my Marantz receiver via the USB input.
Steve let me know if you recieved the file in the dropbox, wasn't sure if I sent it right.

RickP.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Steve let me know if you recieved the file in the dropbox, wasn't sure if I sent it right.
Hi Rick,

Yes, I've received your PM and carried out the test on the USB port. See the subsequent reply with picture taken.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Internet radio, no issue.

So I've had my 7008 a few months now and am just now checking out the Internet radio.
There is some really cool stuff out there. From Folk music straight from Greece to Brooklyn NYFD (as in Fire Department!) available in 7.1 surround!
Seriously, finding some cool Internet stations and saving to favorites is really an added bonus to this AVR.

Music, more music.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:10 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
So I've had my 7008 a few months now and am just now checking out the Internet radio.
There is some really cool stuff out there. From Folk music straight from Greece to Brooklyn NYFD (as in Fire Department!) available in 7.1 surround!
Seriously, finding some cool Internet stations and saving to favorites is really an added bonus to this AVR.
Those listed on the AVR are but a few of the many thousands of available stations. You can add more by using a PC and placing RadioMarantz.com in your browser, creating a vTuner account using the AVR's MAC address, and then add more stations to your Favorites.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	687
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	1047401  

------------

Old 11-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi Rick,

Yes, I've received your PM and carried out the test on the USB port. See the subsequent reply with picture taken.
Hi Steve I guess it is definitely the usb port, I had thought that from the beginning because I had said that I had put in my wife's Iphone with all her music and it would not play.
And that is why Marantz had told me to do a firmware update on the reciever since I have never updated it. But after reading abount the horrors of how people have had their recievers die on them after doing updates, I think I will just live without the use of the USB port. Not worth taking a chance on losing the reciever.
Thanks for all the help you have given me with this. I appreciate the time you have taken....
Rick

RickP.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
There's only one power supply on the AVR ... now if you were using separate "external" amps ... that would be a different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenanda View Post
Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately it had no effect. I'm assuming the device isn't receiving any power which could be why.
Solved โ€” it turns out is was simply the power cord that had died. I had swapped in a new one and it worked!
Old 11-14-2015, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Would anyone know why I can't play flac files through a media server from the Marantz app .. just says cannot play file .. SR7008 receiver
Old 11-15-2015, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsf8 View Post
Would anyone know why I can't play flac files through a media server from the Marantz app .. just says cannot play file .. SR7008 receiver
The SR-7008 is a DLNA renderer so to stream FLAC files from your NAS to it, there must be a DLNA server on the NAS. Do you have this software installed on your NAS?

Old 11-16-2015, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Ummm.. I have Universal Media Server installed on a PC .. works fantastic .. except for this. I can access through the Marantz app on my iPhone but no go for the flac files

ty for the response tho
Old 11-16-2015, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi, a quick question regarding Audysey on my Marantz SR6008.

If I only have a 2.1 (or just stereo) system, and after running Audysey it puts my fronts at -2.5db on each. Is there any reason why I shouldn't push them back up close to or at 0 db ?

I'm not sure why it's reducing both fronts in relation to what ? The sub ? I normally crank the sub up a few db after calibration anyway.

thanks!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:38 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Nutman View Post
Hi, a quick question regarding Audysey on my Marantz SR6008.

If I only have a 2.1 (or just stereo) system, and after running Audysey it puts my fronts at -2.5db on each. Is there any reason why I shouldn't push them back up close to or at 0 db ?

I'm not sure why it's reducing both fronts in relation to what ? The sub ? I normally crank the sub up a few db after calibration anyway.

thanks!
After running Audyssey, the level of each speaker/sub is set such that a 75db test tone is able to reach your main listening position (MLP) (ie. first mic position). A negative setting simply means the speakers are somewhat efficient and need to be lowered in order for the test tone to be at 75db. Whether you change the volume of the speakers/sub (increase or decrease) is purely personal preference. Most owners likely leave the speakers as is and boost the sub about +5db.

------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008