The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

post #4231 of 4567 Old 11-16-2015, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
After running Audyssey, the level of each speaker/sub is set such that a 75db test tone is able to reach your main listening position (MLP) (ie. first mic position). A negative setting simply means the speakers are somewhat efficient and need to be lowered in order for the test tone to be at 75db. Whether you change the volume of the speakers/sub (increase or decrease) is purely personal preference. Most owners likely leave the speakers as is and boost the sub about +5db.
Thanks! They're B&W 685 speakers.
+5db's on the sub sounds quite alot. I normally just push mine up about 1 to 1.5 and it sounds about right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4567 Old 11-16-2015, 02:26 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9738 Post(s)
Liked: 4521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Nutman View Post
Thanks! They're B&W 685 speakers.
+5db's on the sub sounds quite alot. I normally just push mine up about 1 to 1.5 and it sounds about right.
Again, any increase is based on personal preference. Do what suits you.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #4233 of 4567 Old 11-17-2015, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1673 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsf8 View Post
Ummm.. I have Universal Media Server installed on a PC .. works fantastic .. except for this. I can access through the Marantz app on my iPhone but no go for the flac files

ty for the response tho
Apple and iTunes doesn't really support FLAC file format.

On your PC iTunes, see if you can enable Airplay and select the Marantz receiver as one of the 'speakers'. You should be able to stream from iTunes to the Marantz via your network.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #4234 of 4567 Old 11-18-2015, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Okie.. I was prob mistaken in thinking that flac file was going to be played through the receiver.. or something like that lol .. i play flac files on my phone through an app and airplay no prob of course.

I hate itunes crap lol .. just have whole bunch of flac files on my computer that I shared through Universal Media server and thought "magic" would happen lol

anyway .. thanks Steve for bringing me to my senses
post #4235 of 4567 Old 11-21-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Those listed on the AVR are but a few of the many thousands of available stations. You can add more by using a PC and placing RadioMarantz.com in your browser, creating a vTuner account using the AVR's MAC address, and then add more stations to your Favorites.

I looked at that when I first got it and then forgot about it. Thanks, I have set up about 20 favorites in different categories'! Jazz, Funk, Rock, Classical, Zydeco, Greek.....

Music, more music.
post #4236 of 4567 Old 11-25-2015, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the sr7008 and i have a question about how to set up zone 2 speakers such that they work well with the zone 1 speakers.
Zone 1 is my family room and its just a 3.1 setup. The audio travel down the rectangular shaped room and into our kitchen (no walls in between). 50 feet i guess one end to the other. And in my kitchen i have two speakers pointing back at the family room, for zone 2. I like to duplicate my front speakers for better audio while in the kitchen.
I have run audyssey but that only runs on zone 1. My issue is that the audio offen seems out of synch a bit when i have both going. I dont think its a speaker distance issue. I have played with that. I am thinking that the FR speakers are getting one audio profile while the kitchen speakers get something else. So my question is...what audio profile should i use on the front speakers to match whatever is used for the zone 2 speakers? Im thinking zone 2/3 audio gets one profile and you cant adjust it.
Thanks.....
post #4237 of 4567 Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cburns14 View Post
I have the sr7008 and i have a question about how to set up zone 2 speakers such that they work well with the zone 1 speakers.
Zone 1 is my family room and its just a 3.1 setup. The audio travel down the rectangular shaped room and into our kitchen (no walls in between). 50 feet i guess one end to the other. And in my kitchen i have two speakers pointing back at the family room, for zone 2. I like to duplicate my front speakers for better audio while in the kitchen.
I have run audyssey but that only runs on zone 1. My issue is that the audio offen seems out of synch a bit when i have both going. I dont think its a speaker distance issue. I have played with that. I am thinking that the FR speakers are getting one audio profile while the kitchen speakers get something else. So my question is...what audio profile should i use on the front speakers to match whatever is used for the zone 2 speakers? Im thinking zone 2/3 audio gets one profile and you cant adjust it.
Thanks.....
Hi Cburns14,

Welcome to AVS!

Audyssey only works in the Main Zone, so Zones 2/3 wont get any room correction.

There are a number of options available for you to get room correction in Zone 2. If there is an older receiver lying around unused, it can be re-purposed to power the Zone 2 speakers as well utilize the built in room correction for Zone 2. Just connect the second HDMI out of the SR-7008 to the older receiver.

If there isn't an old receiver available, the second option is to get an external box with PEQ filters such as the miniDSP 2x4 (balanced version) and connect this to the Zone 2 pre-outs. You'll have to roll up the sleeves and go down the rabbit hole of Room Equalization Wizard (REW) to know how to measure and set the parameters on the miniDSP 2x4.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #4238 of 4567 Old 11-26-2015, 02:49 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Thanks.....
If the source you are playing also includes video, one way to minimize the audio lag between Zones 1 and 2 is to set the VIDEO MODE setting to GAME.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #4239 of 4567 Old 11-27-2015, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Thanks.....
I would keep it simple and try 1 of 3 setups. Don't worry about Audyssey since your physical speaker placements make it unrealistic.

1) Keep your current set up with the kitchen speakers connected to Zone 2. Try the "All-Zone Stereo" mode under the Options menu. This is shown on pg. 117 of the owner's manual. It might achieve what you are trying to do.

2) Set the AMP ASSIGN to "7.1ch + Front B" and connect the kitchen speakers as "B" front speakers. Use the "A/B" switch on the front panel to turn them on or off. They will get the same signal as the Front L&R speakers that way.

3) Set the AMP ASSIGN to "5.1ch + ZONE2/3" and connect the kitchen speakers up as the surround L&R speakers. The Zone 2/3 stuff will not be used. Set the audio mode to "Multi-channel Stereo" and will play the same 2 channel stereo signal from the front and rear speakers.

One of these should work fine. Good luck.
post #4240 of 4567 Old 11-28-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I would keep it simple and try 1 of 3 setups. Don't worry about Audyssey since your physical speaker placements make it unrealistic.

1) Keep your current set up with the kitchen speakers connected to Zone 2. Try the "All-Zone Stereo" mode under the Options menu. This is shown on pg. 117 of the owner's manual. It might achieve what you are trying to do.

2) Set the AMP ASSIGN to "7.1ch + Front B" and connect the kitchen speakers as "B" front speakers. Use the "A/B" switch on the front panel to turn them on or off. They will get the same signal as the Front L&R speakers that way.

3) Set the AMP ASSIGN to "5.1ch + ZONE2/3" and connect the kitchen speakers up as the surround L&R speakers. The Zone 2/3 stuff will not be used. Set the audio mode to "Multi-channel Stereo" and will play the same 2 channel stereo signal from the front and rear speakers.

One of these should work fine. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
I really appreciate the options put forward. i think i will end up with the all zone stereo option as i dont want a separate amp in the mix, and i am also trying to use zone 3 in a similar manner. I would like to just leave the amp in all zone audio mode all the time so that i dont have to always go to the remote to toggle the option. Only downsides to this approach are that i will always get audio (sometimes i dont want audio) and the power to those zones will be on all the time. The audio angle is half solved already--i had a vol knob in the kitchen. I can just turn it up/down/off. I would prefer for the power to zones 2/3 to not always be on so i will think that through a bit more. Like can i set up a harmony remote to turn zones on and off as i power the sr7008 (main zone) on and off? I suspect yes.
But to answer the audio quality angle, through limited testing using all zone audio, it sounds good. And i can change inputs and the audio swaps out just fine. So many thanks!
post #4241 of 4567 Old 11-28-2015, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know of a way to use TuneIn streaming via the 6008? Sonos has it but don't want to invest in another Sonos to hook up to the Marantz just to get that functionality. Another related question. Can I keep the video on one input but set audio to a different source at the same time?
post #4242 of 4567 Old 11-29-2015, 02:50 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornell View Post
Anyone know of a way to use TuneIn streaming via the 6008? Sonos has it but don't want to invest in another Sonos to hook up to the Marantz just to get that functionality. Another related question. Can I keep the video on one input but set audio to a different source at the same time?
TuneIn is also offered by Denon HEOS and can be streamed by the Denon HEOS app to stream to Denon HEOS wireless speakers connected to your home's WiFi network.

http://usa.denon.com/us/heos

For separate video and audio sources, with the audio source selected, press the OPTION button on the remote and select the Video Select setting to ON and select a connected HDMI video source.

------------

post #4243 of 4567 Old 11-29-2015, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just picked up a 7008 for a early Christmas present for myself. Time to retire the Onkyo 805 that has been flawless for many years.Very impressed so far, I like the network stuff a lot ,using JRIVER media Center to stream to the Marantz. Any one had success in streaming Dvd or Blue Ray to the Marantz using a DLNA server?The Marantz is hardwired cat 5 and I have no problems sending either dvd or blue ray iso rips to my other media players.
post #4244 of 4567 Old 11-29-2015, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm having problems with my system dropping out video and sometimes completely not having any video displayed.

I have a marantz sr6008 connected to Sony vw665 / 520es 4k projector using monoprice redmere 50ft active cable. My only source is a popcorn hour media player.

When i play a movie signal drops.

If i connect the projector directly to the popcorn hour media player, signal does not drop. Does this mean that the Marantz AVR cannot handle the projector? Should I change something in the settings of the sr 6008? What could it be?
post #4245 of 4567 Old 11-30-2015, 06:08 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_88 View Post
I'm having problems with my system dropping out video and sometimes completely not having any video displayed.

I have a marantz sr6008 connected to Sony vw665 / 520es 4k projector using monoprice redmere 50ft active cable. My only source is a popcorn hour media player.

When i play a movie signal drops.

If i connect the projector directly to the popcorn hour media player, signal does not drop. Does this mean that the Marantz AVR cannot handle the projector? Should I change something in the settings of the sr 6008? What could it be?

Are you using the newer 18Gbps active Redmere cable ---? http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12962

You may need to add an HDMI extender to increase the signal strength from the SR6008.

------------

post #4246 of 4567 Old 11-30-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Are you using the newer 18Gbps active Redmere cable ---? http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12962

You may need to add an HDMI extender to increase the signal strength from the SR6008.

Yes thats exactly the cable im using.

What HDMI extender can you suggest? Are they similar to cat5e/6 hdbaseT hdmi tx and rx extenders?
post #4247 of 4567 Old 11-30-2015, 09:36 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Yes thats exactly the cable im using.

What HDMI extender can you suggest? Are they similar to cat5e/6 hdbaseT hdmi tx and rx extenders?
Yes, but then you need CAT 5/6 cable, rather what I'm suggesting would go on the end of the Redmere cable. I would call Monoprice as the Redmere cable should be sufficient on its own.

Edit: Just got off the phone with a Monoprice tech rep who said you can't use an extender with a Redmere cable, rather you would be better served exchanging the Redmere cable for a replacement.

------------

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 11-30-2015 at 09:52 AM.
post #4248 of 4567 Old 11-30-2015, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks1 View Post
Any one had success in streaming Dvd or Blue Ray to the Marantz using a DLNA server?The Marantz is hardwired cat 5 and I have no problems sending either dvd or blue ray iso rips to my other media players.
I'm trying to get this working now with my SR7008 as I just set up a NAS with DLNA about a month ago. Using the Network App, DLNA server, I can see all of my files. I can play back music without issue, but I can't get any video to play. I can browse to the file, but when I click on it, I just get a single static frame from some point in the file and no playback.

I can use the DLNA player in my TV (Sharp 640U series) to play back the video files, except it is limiting the audio to stereo. I haven't tried it with my Panasonic smart Blu-Ray player yet.

Any ideas? I'm not sure if it is a NAS/DLNA server setup issue or something in the receiver.
post #4249 of 4567 Old 11-30-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmtnb44 View Post
I'm trying to get this working now with my SR7008 as I just set up a NAS with DLNA about a month ago. Using the Network App, DLNA server, I can see all of my files. I can play back music without issue, but I can't get any video to play. I can browse to the file, but when I click on it, I just get a single static frame from some point in the file and no playback.

I can use the DLNA player in my TV (Sharp 640U series) to play back the video files, except it is limiting the audio to stereo. I haven't tried it with my Panasonic smart Blu-Ray player yet.

Any ideas? I'm not sure if it is a NAS/DLNA server setup issue or something in the receiver.
Item in bold is something you should try.

The SR-7008 is not a video decoder like the TV or blu-ray player as it does not have the licenses to do so. The SR-7008 will decode the sound track, but not the video.

post #4250 of 4567 Old 11-30-2015, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Item in bold is something you should try.
Definitely, just haven't had a chance yet but the post from Banks1 reminded me of this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
The SR-7008 is not a video decoder like the TV or blu-ray player as it does not have the licenses to do so. The SR-7008 will decode the sound track, but not the video.
Ah I completely missed that when looking at the owners manual before. It only lists audio files as compatible. It's odd that it still has a category for video when it can't play them, but maybe that is part of the DLNA standard. Thanks!

edit: I also have a HTPC to play the video files, but was trying out the DLNA options now that I have a NAS up and running.
post #4251 of 4567 Old 11-30-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, but then you need CAT 5/6 cable, rather what I'm suggesting would go on the end of the Redmere cable. I would call Monoprice as the Redmere cable should be sufficient on its own.

Edit: Just got off the phone with a Monoprice tech rep who said you can't use an extender with a Redmere cable, rather you would be better served exchanging the Redmere cable for a replacement.
Not sure it is the cable. When I try:

Popcorn hour media player -> (50' redmere hdmi) Sony VW665es 4k projector
- i DO NOT experience drop outs

I also tried placing a Lumagen video processor in the chain.

Popcorn hour media player -> Marantz SR6008 -> Lumagen -> (50' redmere hdmi) Sony VW665es
- i DO experience drop outs

Popcorn hour media player -> Lumagen -> (50' redmere hdmi) Sony VW665es
-i DO NOT experience drop outs

That is why I'm, suspecting the Marantz receiver or maybe settings of Marantz?

Last edited by qwerty_88; 11-30-2015 at 10:51 PM.
post #4252 of 4567 Old 12-01-2015, 05:04 AM

Just a update on my impressions of the 7008.I am blown away by the improvement in sound quality over my Onkyo 805.After running Audyssey it is like I bought new speakers. I have Monitor Audio Rs6s, and a HSU STF -2 sub, in wall surrounds and no center.I am a little confused about the Audyssey set up on my sub.I had my sub volume set about 1/4 vol. and it told me to set it to 50% and then I cut it back just a tad, to get 75 db, then ran the setup. Now it is rattling stuff off the walls at high vol.I thought that if you ended up +3 to -3 after setup you were close to being right on the volume setting on your sub.

post #4253 of 4567 Old 12-01-2015, 05:09 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Not sure it is the cable. When I try:

Popcorn hour media player -> (50' redmere hdmi) Sony VW665es 4k projector
- i DO NOT experience drop outs

I also tried placing a Lumagen video processor in the chain.

Popcorn hour media player -> Marantz SR6008 -> Lumagen -> (50' redmere hdmi) Sony VW665es
- i DO experience drop outs

Popcorn hour media player -> Lumagen -> (50' redmere hdmi) Sony VW665es
-i DO NOT experience drop outs

That is why I'm, suspecting the Marantz receiver or maybe settings of Marantz?

The cable could still be at fault. A signal going directly from the source to the display will be much stronger than when it passes through an HDMI repeater (ie. AVR). The issue is most likely the signal going through the Redmere cable is not being amplified enough for a solid connection. As a test, try setting the video to 720p or connect the display directly to the AVR using a shorter HDMI cable (eg. 6').

------------

post #4254 of 4567 Old 12-01-2015, 05:15 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks1 View Post
Just a update on my impressions of the 7008.I am blown away by the improvement in sound quality over my Onkyo 805.After running Audyssey it is like I bought new speakers. I have Monitor Audio Rs6s, and a HSU STF -2 sub, in wall surrounds and no center.I am a little confused about the Audyssey set up on my sub.I had my sub volume set about 1/4 vol. and it told me to set it to 50% and then I cut it back just a tad, to get 75 db, then ran the setup. Now it is rattling stuff off the walls at high vol.I thought that if you ended up +3 to -3 after setup you were close to being right on the volume setting on your sub.

The majority of subs should be set to about 1/4 or 9 o'clock prior to running Audyssey. This setting should result in the sub getting set to somewhere around -3db to -6db. Although at this setting most owners will want to boost this setting in Manual Setup by a few db, if yours was set higher (-3db to + 3db), you can simply lower this level a few db in Manual Setup, or use the Audyssey LFC (Low Frequency Containment, p. 169 Owner's manual).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	360
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1091186  

------------

post #4255 of 4567 Old 12-01-2015, 05:30 AM

Thanks Jd.
post #4256 of 4567 Old 12-01-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
The cable could still be at fault. A signal going directly from the source to the display will be much stronger than when it passes through an HDMI repeater (ie. AVR). The issue is most likely the signal going through the Redmere cable is not being amplified enough for a solid connection. As a test, try setting the video to 720p or connect the display directly to the AVR using a shorter HDMI cable (eg. 6').
will try this when i have the time.

do you think hdbaseT kit will work?

http://www.amazon.com/Atlona-AT-UHD-...ords=atlona+4k

i have a cat5e run from PJ to AVR. unfortunately i can not change the HDMI cable already unless i open ceiling and walls, which is not an option for now.
post #4257 of 4567 Old 12-01-2015, 08:30 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
will try this when i have the time.

do you think hdbaseT kit will work?

http://www.amazon.com/Atlona-AT-UHD-...ords=atlona+4k

i have a cat5e run from PJ to AVR. unfortunately i can not change the HDMI cable already unless i open ceiling and walls, which is not an option for now.
Yes, would likely work better than the Redmere.

------------

post #4258 of 4567 Old 12-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I recently installed front height and top middle speakers in anticipation of a future AVR upgrade for ATMOS & DTS:X and planned to use Audyssey DSX on my SR7008 in the interim for the front height -- but now I've discovered the dirty little secret of auto-amp switching: relay click click click click click!

(1) Why is this relay click implemented as such? There is no relay click switching between stereo and 5.1 (or not that I've noticed) -- so it seems it is not a "necessary" operation to disconnect the amp/speaker when not in use. In my 5.1+FH set up I have only specified (and Audyssey only detected) front height speakers: no front wide, no surround back, i.e., no need to auto-switch those amps during operation, EVER. Fast forwarding through commercials is an exercise in OCD frustration hearing click-click on every skip invocation on my TiVo remote.

(2) Some suggest to configure an input to upmix all formats to DSX-height (for example) to avoid the auto-switching -- how do I set this default for all input formats? I understand for a given input format I can set the desired output format, but I must have missed some input formats as I still get a click-click when fast forwarding.

(3) I do not currently have an external amplifier to test this out: is there any chance that if I'm not using the internal auto-switched amps for the front heights but just the pre-out that I can avoid the relay clicks?
post #4259 of 4567 Old 12-07-2015, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi,

I have recently setup my Dynaudio Focus speakers with Marantz 6008 AVR and Naim 5si integrated amp. For some reason there is a buzzing sound that keeps on coming from the speakers. I have done the audyssey calibration and it is still there. What could be the reason for it? Any suggestion on how to get it fixed?
post #4260 of 4567 Old 12-08-2015, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
Hi,

I have recently setup my Dynaudio Focus speakers with Marantz 6008 AVR and Naim 5si integrated amp. For some reason there is a buzzing sound that keeps on coming from the speakers. I have done the audyssey calibration and it is still there. What could be the reason for it? Any suggestion on how to get it fixed?
Most likely a ground loop issue between two devices.

The hard part is identifying the culprit device. This involves removing all devices in the signal chain and testing the speakers as each device is added one at a time. If you added a new device and was sure that there was no buzzing sound before adding that new device, might be worthwhile to temporary remove the new device and do the speaker check if the buzzing sound disappears. If it does, then you've identified the culprit of the ground loop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page