The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

Old 01-15-2016, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
Sounds similar to the noise I had on my first 5008. Had to get it replaced. Did you try a soft reset?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Left it unplugged overnight - no success.
Did a factory reset - nothing.
Unplugged everything from the unit - nothing.
Tried a different power socket - nothing...

I'm calling the dealer tomorrow, I guess I must return it again. The last time it was a bad HDMI board, and now this. I think I better avoid marantz gear in the future... I hope it takes them less than a month to fix it this time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSnewbie123 View Post
Left it unplugged overnight - no success.
Did a factory reset - nothing.
Unplugged everything from the unit - nothing.
Tried a different power socket - nothing...

I'm calling the dealer tomorrow, I guess I must return it again. The last time it was a bad HDMI board, and now this. I think I better avoid marantz gear in the future... I hope it takes them less than a month to fix it this time...
Sounds frustrating. Hope you get it sorted out!

Old 01-15-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Sounds frustrating. Hope you get it sorted out!

Thanks! It will be sorted out sooner or later I think I might still have warranty. I'll post a followup.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Was thinking about possibly getting some sort of NAS setup as I am much more partial to having something like that running vs. an entire PC.

Using a Marantz SR6008 currently as well as a Tablet w/BubbleUpnP to stream Tidal through to the SR6008. Any Marantz owners here have recommendations on a NAS that can be accessed via the Marantz interface? If that NAS can be configured to be accessible via the tablet and BubbleUpnP, even better.

Might be better posted in the media servers forum but my main concern here is having it play nice with the Marantz which is one of the reasons I am thinking using the tablet and bubbleUPnP to browse the media server and play content through to the Marantz is the way to go. I am fairly certain this should work no problem, when my PC is running, the media server shows up in BubbleUPnP so I assume a NAS will do the same.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, that Audyssey stuff, man, that's no snake oil those boys are peddlin'. That stuff is the real McCoy. I was floored by the difference in sound quality in my listening area after simply swapping out my older Denon unit for the new SR6008 and running a quick setup program and setting the bare basics such as crossovers at 80 etc. Consider me a convert and a true believer.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really like the positive reviews on the Anthem Mrx series. Most important to me being in the actual sound department. Could someone tell me choosing between the Anthem 310 and Marantz 7008, what you would Recommend for the same price? I know there both excellent avr recievers.
I'm running an svs prime 5.1 setup with pb 12 nsd sub. in a medium - large room so power could play an important factor.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2016, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwniles View Post
Was thinking about possibly getting some sort of NAS setup as I am much more partial to having something like that running vs. an entire PC.

Using a Marantz SR6008 currently as well as a Tablet w/BubbleUpnP to stream Tidal through to the SR6008. Any Marantz owners here have recommendations on a NAS that can be accessed via the Marantz interface? If that NAS can be configured to be accessible via the tablet and BubbleUpnP, even better.
Pretty much any NAS that supports DLNA will do. I use an old Netgear Readynas duo v2 and it works fine. I dont use any apps though, I just browse the music folders via Marantz onscreen display and select files to play.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:18 AM

I was confused on the DEQ setting as it seemed to be turning itself on. I figured that it is input based - if I only turn it off for HDMI 1 all the other inputs still have it on. Is this correct?

Also, my dad has an UMC-200. He is able to set channel trims on the fly while the video is playing (very handy feature). Is there anyway to do this on the SR5008? I would like to be able to adjust the trims while the audio I'm testing with is playing.

Last edited by gidgiddonihah; 01-17-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:21 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9377 Post(s)
Liked: 4337
Quote:
I was confused on the DEQ setting as it seemed to be turning itself on. I figured that it is input based - if I only turn it off for HDMI 1 all the other inputs still have it on. Is this correct?

Also, my dad has an UMC-200. He is able to set channel trims on the fly while the video is playing (very handy feature). Is there anyway to do this on the SR5008? I would like to be able to adjust the trims while the audio I'm testing with is playing.
1. Yup.
2. Nope. Although if you get a Harmony remote, you can download an older model's remote code to do this as the feature was removed from the stock remotes a few years ago.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Yup.
2. Nope. Although if you get a Harmony remote, you can download an older model's remote code to do this as the feature was removed from the stock remotes a few years ago.
Why would they remove that? It's odd the software still supports it but they removed it from the remote.

So if I were to get a Harmony remote I would be able to set trims on the fly assuming I set it up with an older receiver model?

I got a Harmony 700 - it was on sale at Best Buy and a hard thing to pass up. Just trying to figure out what model to allow trims on the fly. I tried the SR-5000 remote and it has the Center/Surrounds/Sub Volume up and down but it isn't working. Any ideas?

Last edited by gidgiddonihah; 01-18-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Odd. I know Apple allows developers to lock down apps from being able to airplay content but I found a listing on tidal saying they support it. Does Airplay from other apps work? (i.e. the stock music app)

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/a...n-iPhone-iPad-
Yes, airplay from the stock app works fine.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post
Yes, airplay from the stock app works fine.
Odd. Well I found a few alternatives that may work for you if you are interested:

Looks like Bubble uPNP has Tidal support. I am pretty sure it works through DLNA so it should work with the Marantz.

http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/

If you have Android devices there are several apps that route all audio (or selected audio) to Airplay.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...reambels&hl=en
Old 01-18-2016, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by branman View Post
Really like the positive reviews on the Anthem Mrx series. Most important to me being in the actual sound department. Could someone tell me choosing between the Anthem 310 and Marantz 7008, what you would Recommend for the same price? I know there both excellent avr recievers.
I'm running an svs prime 5.1 setup with pb 12 nsd sub. in a medium - large room so power could play an important factor.

Thanks!
If the features of both will suite your needs, the main difference is in the implementation of Room EQualization (REQ) system by each manufacturer.

The Marantz SR-7008 has Audyssey XT32 with sub EQ HT. Audyssey is relatively easy and straight forward to do. There's a nice FAQ here at AVS that's got a step by step guide for anyone to get it right and a dedicated thread to ask if one gets into issues. The sub EQ HT allows for two independent subs to be time aligned so that the overall bass response is better compared to a single sub. The simple Audyssey way means no flexibility in adjusting the target curve (unless one is willing pay for the pro kit), but there's a few ways to tweak if one knows how.

My understanding is that Anthem Room Correction (ARC) is also quite good and can be customized to suite one's taste. There's a bit of learning curve associated with ARC, but if one likes to tweak things to taste, it will provide a pleasing result in the end. I'm not that familiar with ARC so, you'll have to ask for details in the associated thread here: Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide

The Anthem does not do heights so if you're intending to go with front height channels, will have to look elsewhere.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Odd. Well I found a few alternatives that may work for you if you are interested:

Looks like Bubble uPNP has Tidal support. I am pretty sure it works through DLNA so it should work with the Marantz.

http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/

If you have Android devices there are several apps that route all audio (or selected audio) to Airplay.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...reambels&hl=en
The really strange thing is that I went home last night and tried it again, and it worked just fine.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

I am experiencing one other issues that is a little frustrating. Every once in a while, at random intervals, the ARC will stop playing audio but continue to play video. I have to go and jiggle the HDMI cable and the audio will return. I'm not sure if this is a cable problem or a receiver problem. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I am experiencing one other issues that is a little frustrating. Every once in a while, at random intervals, the ARC will stop playing audio but continue to play video. I have to go and jiggle the HDMI cable and the audio will return. I'm not sure if this is a cable problem or a receiver problem. Has anyone else run into this issue?
From what little I know of HDMI ARC it's extremely unstable and not super reliable. But I'm not the expert by any means - I don't use it either.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwniles View Post

Might be better posted in the media servers forum but my main concern here is having it play nice with the Marantz which is one of the reasons I am thinking using the tablet and bubbleUPnP to browse the media server and play content through to the Marantz is the way to go. I am fairly certain this should work no problem, when my PC is running, the media server shows up in BubbleUPnP so I assume a NAS will do the same.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, that Audyssey stuff, man, that's no snake oil those boys are peddlin'. That stuff is the real McCoy. I was floored by the difference in sound quality in my listening area after simply swapping out my older Denon unit for the new SR6008 and running a quick setup program and setting the bare basics such as crossovers at 80 etc. Consider me a convert and a true believer.
I used to use the Sr5008 with a NAS and it was great. I used a WD NAS with twonky media server and it worked really well. I also setup a media server on my PC - no problems streaming. Though I have tried it only with WD gear, I think any NAS would do. There is no need of boulbe UPNP player, just use the marantz app from the store. The app will show you all of your ripped cds and you can browse and play everything easy and fast. You can also use the remote and commands on your TV if you prefer. The appl displays embeded album art , and so does your TV/monitor.

Just make sure you use a rooter with gigabit LAN, and enable UPnP.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Had a similar problem. Got a new HDMI cable which fixed the issue. Make sure you use a high speed HDMI cable, and if the length is more than 3m, get a high quality certified HDMI cable.

Your other option is to use digital optical or coaxial, but in this case I think you would need to turn off HDMI control (i.e. HDMI CEC, HDMI LINK) and use more than one remote.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSnewbie123 View Post
Had a similar problem. Got a new HDMI cable which fixed the issue. Make sure you use a high speed HDMI cable, and if the length is more than 3m, get a high quality certified HDMI cable.
I don't know exactly what you mean but here goes my rant. Sorry folks. Feel free to ignore this post.

All HDMI cables sold today are identical. The only difference between the $5 models and the $150 models Best Buy sell (or the thousand dollar models Audioquest sell) are the housings. Picture quality, bandwidth, and their ability to transfer signals are identical. It's all 1's and 0's on both. Huge runs will need special setups but the cables won't change a thing.

Had a friend who bought a 4K TV a month or two back. He insisted the 4K certified cables 'looked better'. He spent money on 2 or 3 of these cables. It's all snake oil and it was sad to watch him waste his money like that. Though he was also the individual to claim 4K is 4 times better than any 1080p panel so I guess he was sort of a lost cause .

/endrant

Old 01-20-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I don't know exactly what you mean but here goes my rant. Sorry folks. Feel free to ignore this post.

All HDMI cables sold today are identical. The only difference between the $5 models and the $150 models Best Buy sell (or the thousand dollar models Audioquest sell) are the housings. Picture quality, bandwidth, and their ability to transfer signals are identical. It's all 1's and 0's on both. Huge runs will need special setups but the cables won't change a thing.

Had a friend who bought a 4K TV a month or two back. He insisted the 4K certified cables 'looked better'. He spent money on 2 or 3 of these cables. It's all snake oil and it was sad to watch him waste his money like that. Though he was also the individual to claim 4K is 4 times better than any 1080p panel so I guess he was sort of a lost cause .

I would switch a few HDMI cables before buying a new one.

/endrant

Absolutely agree! All hdmi cables are the same, as long as they work the way they should. Changing the HDMI cable (with another cheap 10$ one) solved the ARC problems for me. I have noticed that for short cables it makes absolutely no difference, but for longer cables (7.5m and 10m)- I experienced performance problems with some cables (such as HDMI CEC and ARC issues). One of the cables made the player reduce 1080p to 720p for some reason. All of this was gone as soon as I changed the HDMI cable for a different brand.

Last edited by AVSnewbie123; 01-20-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:09 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

/endrant

There are actually several different kinds of HDMI cables to include Standard speed (720p/1080i), High Speed (1080p), and the newer High Speed (18gbps, 4k) cables. As numerous new 4k AVR owners are learning, their old "high speed" 1080p HDMI cables may not work with their new 4k TVs, rather it depends on the quality of the cable.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
There are actually several different kinds of HDMI cables to include Standard speed (720p/1080i), High Speed (1080p), and the newer High Speed (18gbps, 4k) cables. As numerous new 4k AVR owners are learning, their old "high speed" 1080p HDMI cables may not work with their new 4k TVs, rather it depends on the quality of the cable.
Ah yes. I forgot they added the second edition of High Speed. Don't pretty much all reputable brands sell the 18Gbps High Speed now though (i.e. Mediabridge through the ultra ridiculous priced brands)?

Also you mentioned that the Harmony remote would allow me to change the levels on the fly if I set it to a different model receiver. Do you know which model I should try setting my Harmony 700 to?

Thanks to all who have been so helpful. I have learned quite a bit in just the past few weeks. You guys are awesome!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:52 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Ah yes. I forgot they added the second edition of High Speed. Don't pretty much all reputable brands sell the 18Gbps High Speed now though (i.e. Mediabridge through the ultra ridiculous priced brands)?

Also you mentioned that the Harmony remote would allow me to change the levels on the fly if I set it to a different model receiver. Do you know which model I should try setting my Harmony 700 to?

Thanks to all who have been so helpful. I have learned quite a bit in just the past few weeks. You guys are awesome!
The SR5005 has a "CH LVL" button on the remote. Give it a try.

------------

Old 01-21-2016, 11:48 AM

Second receiver inconsistently having issues (protection circuit flipping on and the restart loop issues) and A4L refuses to do anything - I have to go through Marantz now.

I am not super happy with A4L. Unsure if I feel comfortable ordering from them again... I guess we will see the next time I need A/V supplies. Can't be too far off .

(Edit) Called again and got them to say that if Marantz won't do a direct replacement they try to intercede on my behalf to attempt to get a replacement from Marantz. At least that is something...

(Edit 2) The unit went from inconsistantly flipping off to a boot loop (when I plug it in - without touching the power button - it will constantly turn itself on and off). Called Marantz. Seems hopeful that they will ship out a replacement as soon as they are able.

(Edit 3) Well Marantz seems to be sending me a replacement. Their system is fairly buggy; I had to call several times to get things sorted out. A bit disappointed and a tad bit frustrated this process going to take two weeks but it sounds like they are taking care of me. Good news.

Last edited by gidgiddonihah; 01-26-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:36 PM

In case anyone was wondering what my problem is (or if your problem is similar) I took a video of it. I apologize in advance - the video quality and aspect ratio are all screwed up. Just wanted to throw something up for people to see.

I asked if United Radio had taken a look at the receiver yet. I was told:

Quote:
It hasn't been repaired yet but they diagnosed that it needs a DC Protect Repair. I'm not technical so I'm not able to provide any more information other than this.
This does make some sense I think.

---------------
We'll the replacement arrived. And to my surprised delight, Marantz had upgraded me to the SR5009 for my troubles. Makes me pretty happy. Ran Audyssey on all 8 locations. Sounds incredible. And, most importantly, it ran flawlessly all the way through Monster's University. Fingers crossed that this one lasts a looonnnggg time.

Last edited by gidgiddonihah; 02-02-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I am currently looking at the Marantz SR7008 on Accessories4Less...refurbed...any issues anyone has found on these?

Next question are you able to use the stock Marantz remote for your universal remote or are most going with like a Harmony remote to control everything?

Thanks guys...first build excitment here
Old 02-05-2016, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I am currently looking at the Marantz SR7008 on Accessories4Less...refurbed...any issues anyone has found on these?

Next question are you able to use the stock Marantz remote for your universal remote or are most going with like a Harmony remote to control everything?

Old 02-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzter View Post

I have7008 and it works and sounds great. I purchased it from Best Buy as an open box. I have purchased from accessories4less without any issues. As for the remote I use the Harmony ultimate and it works great. JT

My set up
Marantz SR-7008, Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra 4K Blu Ray Player
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
Klipsch SW-310, RPW-10, Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096
Old 02-07-2016, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim leonhardt View Post
thanks, the soft reset worked. flickr is still an issue
I have the same issue with Nr1605, tried both wireless and cable LAN connection and no differens. Says "no connection". Internet radio, spotify etc works fine so it must be something else.

Any ideas??
Old 02-08-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:

I don't want to scare you away. Especially considering how many people love A4L but I thought I should put in my two cents.

I bought a SR5008 from them. The first one died within days of pulling it out of the box (view my YouTube video a couple of posts ago). They sent out a replacement and that died the same death within a week. Marantz upgraded me to a SR5009 and it has been almost a week since I installed without problems (hoping it continues to work). Granted it's the 5008, not the 7008 but I thought you should be aware. FWIW 99.99% of the people on this thread seem to have great luck with their X008 units from A4L and I am well known among friends and family to have about the worst luck possible with tech.

I am using a Harmony 700 (on sale a month ago for $60) with my 5009. Works great. It is a bit of a hassle to setup but once setup it makes life so awesome . It condensed my PS3 Multimedia Remote, Keyboard for HTPC, TV and Fire Stick Remotes (Fire stick and PS3 controls through HDMI CEC) to one slick, backlit remote. Couldn't be happier. It also makes the included Marantz remote feel a bit cheap.

Last edited by gidgiddonihah; 02-08-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

I would go with a brand new one. You get a 3 year warranty and will not have any cosmetic issues. And if you do you can send it right back. I would recommend Crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR70...08.html?tp=179 $899 free shipping,no tax (unless your in Va) and a 60 day money back guarantee if it's not for you. I have the rcvr and I love it. It has very good sound and enough power unless you have 4 ohm speakers. Let us know what you decide!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAMSUNG UN607150- OPPO BDP 103D- PSA MT-110 L/R -PHANTOM CENTER -ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS -PSA S3000i - MARANTZ SR7008 -APPLE TV -MONSTER POWER HTS2600MK -DIRECTV GENIE -HARMONY ELITE

BASEMENT SETUP- SAMSUNG UN466500- ENERGY 50'S L/R- ENERGY RC LCR- 2X SVS SB12 NSD- DENON-AVR-3311CI- PS3 -APPLETV- MINI GENIE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008