The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 161Likes
post #4741 of 4763 Unread 04-20-2017, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 424
^Agreed!!! My mains are more than capable of digging down, but I have them set to 80 hz, as my sub is even more capable. Let each speaker do what it's made for and enjoy.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I
Marantz SR7008 with TK421 Modification
Emotiva XPA-5
Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Oppo UDP-203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 4763 Unread 04-20-2017, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks to you all. You have been so helping.

I set the front LRs as small & CO @80hz. Trying out with placement of Sub - Velo CHT-15Q. When set the speakers to small, somehow I feel 2ch stereo music feels thin/light. My 7008 driving Totem Forest floors. I may have to try with placement of floors.

One more issue I came across. When I select the Tuner, it selects & no out put from the speakers. I checked FM antenna/jack etc & all are fine. On display it shows Tuner/analog in/ Playing etc, but absolutely no sound..no hiss..etc..dead silent. So far it was playing without any issues. When I select other sources, all play properly. I tried resetting, but no use. What could be the problem? Any help please? Is the problem with tuner cord or have to check any other setting. Tnks
post #4743 of 4763 Unread 04-20-2017, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post

I set the front LRs as small & CO @80hz. Trying out with placement of Sub - Velo CHT-15Q. When set the speakers to small, somehow I feel 2ch stereo music feels thin/light. My 7008 driving Totem Forest floors. I may have to try with placement of floors.

One more issue I came across. When I select the Tuner, it selects & no out put from the speakers. I checked FM antenna/jack etc & all are fine. On display it shows Tuner/analog in/ Playing etc, but absolutely no sound..no hiss..etc..dead silent. So far it was playing without any issues. When I select other sources, all play properly. I tried resetting, but no use. What could be the problem? Any help please? Is the problem with tuner cord or have to check any other setting. Tnks
As far as your music sounding "light" in 2 channel, it's probably because no audio is being outputted to the subwoofer. You would want to set your LFE feature to "LFE+Main" under the Bass menu which should either be in manual speaker configuration or under the Audio sub menu. This is because 2 channel audio is not inherently mixed with a subwoofer track and your receiver won't know to output anything to the sub unless that feature is selected. Your speakers aren't outputting anything lower than 80Hz, thereby giving you that lighter sound.

post #4744 of 4763 Unread 04-21-2017, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13476 Post(s)
Liked: 6248
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanquiuxo View Post
As far as your music sounding "light" in 2 channel, it's probably because no audio is being outputted to the subwoofer. You would want to set your LFE feature to "LFE+Main" under the Bass menu which should either be in manual speaker configuration or under the Audio sub menu. This is because 2 channel audio is not inherently mixed with a subwoofer track and your receiver won't know to output anything to the sub unless that feature is selected. Your speakers aren't outputting anything lower than 80Hz, thereby giving you that lighter sound.
The LFE+MAIN setting only works when the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE. As suggested, the OP set them to SMALL/80hz which means the sub is getting the FL/FR audio below 80Hz.
post #4745 of 4763 Unread 04-21-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post

If you're not at least hearing static, there may be a problem with your AM/FM Tuner especially if at some point it was actually working. Ensure you have tried multiple FM stations as HD broadcasts generally only work if within close proximity as opposed to standard FM broadcasts. You could try doing a "soft reset" by powering off the AVR and unplugging the power cable for 10 minutes. If still no joy, a microprocessor reset is in order (p. 241 Owner's manual).
Roadshow likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-21-2017 at 12:32 AM.
post #4746 of 4763 Unread 04-21-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
The LFE+MAIN setting only works when the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE. As suggested, the OP set them to SMALL/80hz which means the sub is getting the FL/FR audio below 80Hz.
That's odd, considering that feature has less to do with crossover and more to do with whether signal is sent to the subwoofer when there is no dedicated sub channel from the source (i.e. music source). On my SR7009 it lets me change that setting even with the fronts set to small with crossover adjusted.

It doesn't mention anything in the owners manual about that limitation, but here is a quote that may be helpful:

?If ?Front? and ?Center? for ?Speaker Con g.? (vpage 193) are set to ?Large?, and ?Subwoofer Mode? is set to ?LFE?, no sound may be output from the subwoofers, depending on the input signal or selected sound mode. Select ?LFE+Main? if you want the bass signals to always be produced from the subwoofer.
post #4747 of 4763 Unread 04-21-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
That's odd, considering that feature has less to do with crossover and more to do with whether signal is sent to the subwoofer when there is no dedicated sub channel from the source (i.e. music source). On my SR7009 it lets me change that setting even with the fronts set to small with crossover adjusted.

It doesn't mention anything in the owners manual about that limitation, but here is a quote that may be helpful:

?If ?Front? and ?Center? for ?Speaker Con g.? (vpage 193) are set to ?Large?, and ?Subwoofer Mode? is set to ?LFE?, no sound may be output from the subwoofers, depending on the input signal or selected sound mode. Select ?LFE+Main? if you want the bass signals to always be produced from the subwoofer.

Perhaps this will help you to better understand how these "subwoofer" settings work ....

LFE - The subwoofer will play the LFE signal (ie. 0.1 of DD/DTS X.1) + those frequencies below the speaker crossovers set to SMALL

LFE + MAIN - (same as above); however, if the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE, the subwoofer also receives the same frequencies below the FL/FR crossover as are the FL/FR speakers receiving (aka "double bass"; a setting which is generally frowned upon as it results in bloated bass).
Tom Riddle likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-21-2017 at 01:41 AM.
post #4748 of 4763 Unread 04-21-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps this will help you to better understand how these "subwoofer" settings work ....

LFE - The subwoofer will play the LFE signal (ie. 0.1 of DD/DTS X.1) + those frequencies below the speaker crossovers set to SMALL

LFE + MAIN - (same as above); however, if the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE, the subwoofer also receives the same frequencies below the FL/FR crossover as are the FL/FR speakers receiving (aka "double bass"; a setting which is generally frowned upon as it results in bloated bass).
I understand all of that as correct. However, what about a source that doesn't have a X.1 signal? (the OP specifically mentions 2 channel music as sounding "light.")

Even when speakers are set to small with 80Hz crossover, when the Bass mode is set only to "LFE" it's my understanding Marantz receivers (including mine) won't output any signal to the sub. It needs to be set on LFE+Main to create a signal to be sent to the sub when there is no actual channel of audio for it.

I think we are agreeing, my only point was that if he is listening to music without the sub firing, that could be the reason the music sounds "light" to him. If he is used to the way his system sounds with sub then he may want to try that setting and see if he likes it better.

Last edited by yanquiuxo; 04-21-2017 at 01:29 AM.
post #4749 of 4763 Unread 04-21-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
I understand all of that as correct. However, what about a source that doesn't have a X.1 signal? (the OP specifically mentions 2 channel music as sounding "light.")

Even when speakers are set to small with 80Hz crossover, when the Bass mode is set only to "LFE" it's my understanding Marantz receivers (including mine) won't output any signal to the sub. It needs to be set on LFE+Main to create a signal to be sent to the sub when there is no actual channel of audio for it.

I think we are agreeing, my only point was that if he is listening to music without the sub firing, that could be the reason the music sounds "light" to him. If he is used to the way his system sounds with sub then he may want to try that setting and see if he likes it better.
That is incorrect. When a speaker is set to SMALL, the frequencies below the speakers crossover are always sent to the sub (except when using either the DIRECT or PURE DIRECT surround modes in which case bass management is ignored and nothing would go to the sub if there is no LFE signal). I've highlighted that portion of my previous post to be more clear.
Tom Riddle likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-21-2017 at 02:00 AM.
post #4750 of 4763 Unread 04-22-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@jdsmoothie is absolutely correct on how this works. Also, even though I have very capable mains, I have mine set to small. The only way to get true double bass is to add a second subwoofer and have phasing calibrated correctly. I have my crossovers for my whole system set at 80hz - yes even those powerful mains - and I let my sub do what it was built for - bass reproduction. Mains should only be allowed to dig down if they are in a 2 channel setup configured for music only. The 7008 has Sub HT EQ, so it can easily calibrate two subs (matching subs, preferably) to perform in concert.

On another note, I've now had my Static IP going for a while now and have had no issues with connection on any of my devices. This is the best fix to the network issues many have previously reported. My 7008 is still performing like a champ! Watched the Shallows on UHD last night, and the 7.1 Dolby True HD (Atmos track, but getting the encoded alternate mix since no Atmos support on 7008) and boy was it intense! If you haven't seen it - watch it and be prepared for one intense ride! My current room would be cumbersome to add ceiling speakers, so I believe I will be adding some front heights and upgrading sometime this year to either a Marantz pre/pro or the newest 70xx.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
post #4751 of 4763 Unread 04-24-2017, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'm planning to buy Auralic Aries Mini and was wondering if I can get it connected to my Marantz 6008. I have a Naim Integrated amp powering my Dyn Focus towers. If yes then how can I do it as I don't have a DAC or NAS and Auralic recommends powering aries via DAC. I will be using it to stream music via Tidal.

Open to other suggestions on how I can get Tidal streaming? Any other streamer that can be connected to Naim or Marantz?
post #4752 of 4763 Unread 04-26-2017, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile

Hi Mates, sorry, was away on official travel.
As already discussed, yes when you set the FR & FL to large, Sub will not play. I have to opt LFE+Main. When set to Small, Sub will be selected irrespective of LFE or LFE+Main. CO 80hz.
I tried briefly with setting to Small & with LFE as well LFE+Main. Somehow didn't like LFE+Main set up. Felt, bass was bit boomy. Need to tweak little more.

My current source is old Pioneer BDP-LX52 thru' HDMI Chord-super shield cable. Excellent in multi channel (HT) format, even audio quality is highly appreciable. Planning to add Oppo105 or the latest one 203. I feel, all this lean sounding kind (in 2CH audio) might be due to, I used to listen to music fronts R&L driven by Odessy Stratos stereo power amp, by taking pre-outs of 7008. I sold Odessy & now fronts are driven by 7008.

I have a doubt, when you take a digital out/HDMI from source & fed to receiver, does the sound quality vary from source to source? If it doesn't much then I will have to experiment with good DAC, using the current source as transport. When I try I will leave my feedback. Some travel is scheduled again, unable to play with my Toys
post #4753 of 4763 Unread 05-09-2017, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 5008 that I use for my outdoor speakers. It is connected to Internet via Ethernet cable. I tried to listen to some music today, but the remote app could not find the receiver. The receiver shows "no network connection". Unplugging the receiver/router did not fix the issue. Everything else in the network works properly.
Did anybody experience this problem?
Thank you.
post #4754 of 4763 Unread 05-10-2017, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consolette View Post
I have a 5008 that I use for my outdoor speakers. It is connected to Internet via Ethernet cable. I tried to listen to some music today, but the remote app could not find the receiver. The receiver shows "no network connection". Unplugging the receiver/router did not fix the issue. Everything else in the network works properly.
Thank you.
Could be a bad network board. Try doing a Network Reset (press/hold the PRESET CH +/PRESET CH - buttons on the front panel while powering on the AVR).
post #4755 of 4763 Unread 05-11-2017, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Thank you.
Remote app on your phone/tablet ? Are you sure it was reaching your wifi ?
If your phone is out of wifi range, and using Mobile signal for internet, you wont be able to talk to the receiver on your network.
post #4756 of 4763 Unread 05-11-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Nutman View Post
Remote app on your phone/tablet ? Are you sure it was reaching your wifi ?
If your phone is out of wifi range, and using Mobile signal for internet, you wont be able to talk to the receiver on your network.
It is on iPad with no cellular. Thanks for your input.
post #4757 of 4763 Unread 05-11-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Could be a bad network board. Try doing a Network Reset (press/hold the PRESET CH +/PRESET CH - buttons on the front panel while powering on the AVR).
I tried network reset, but nothing happened when I pressed/hold preset ch+, ch-, and power buttons simultaneously. Also, I could not do factory reset: power & mdax & zone2source. I guess I will have to send it to service center for warranty repair.
post #4758 of 4763 Unread 05-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I tried network reset, but nothing happened when I pressed/hold preset ch+, ch-, and power buttons simultaneously. Also, I could not do factory reset: power & mdax & zone2source. I guess I will have to send it to service center for warranty repair.
Then you didn't do either correctly. You must press/hold the two buttons while pressing and then releasing the power on button (as you would when normally powering on the AVR using the power button).
post #4759 of 4763 Unread 05-12-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Then you didn't do either correctly. You must press/hold the two buttons while pressing and then releasing the power on button (as you would when normally powering on the AVR using the power button).
I tried again and the display showed "cursor mode on". Either I am missing something or the unit can't reset for some reason. I will call Marantz to see if a tech can help me perform the resets properly.
post #4760 of 4763 Unread 05-14-2017, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you.
My 7008 had a similar issue that lasted for several months, but it would work again once I unplugged the unit for at least 30 seconds. I fixed the problem for good by putting it on a static IP address and turning off the dns on the unit.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
post #4761 of 4763 Unread 05-24-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
My 7008 had a similar issue that lasted for several months, but it would work again once I unplugged the unit for at least 30 seconds. I fixed the problem for good by putting it on a static IP address and turning off the dns on the unit.
I sent the unit to a regional center for service. They told me that the network card needed to be replaced, but it was discontinued. Marantz sent me a refurbished sr5009 as a replacement within one week. I think Marantz did a good job in resolving my issue promptly.
post #4762 of 4763 Unread 05-26-2017, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Marantz SR5008 Hiss & Static noise.

Hi All,
I am having strange issue, i have SR5008 about 2 year old now, suddenly from last week it started having Hiss, and static noise. When i start receiver i can hear very low hiss, but as it runs like withien 30 mins or so, it starts to making noise from all speakers. i dont understand what is the issue, i tried factory reset, also updated firmware. but no luck.

Ive sent to repair shop, after it came run well for 2 days again started to make same noise.

Any one has any sort of issue? What is the solution if any one faced it.

Thank you.
post #4763 of 4763 Unread Today, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirajchokshi View Post
Hi All,
I am having strange issue, i have SR5008 about 2 year old now, suddenly from last week it started having Hiss, and static noise. When i start receiver i can hear very low hiss, but as it runs like withien 30 mins or so, it starts to making noise from all speakers. i dont understand what is the issue, i tried factory reset, also updated firmware. but no luck.

Ive sent to repair shop, after it came run well for 2 days again started to make same noise.

Any one has any sort of issue? What is the solution if any one faced it.

Thank you.
Same here. I've waded through this thread and unfortunately this SR5008 has continued to let me down. I've already sent it into service in the past for an HDMI issue. The popping when powered ON started a few months ago and I just dealt with it, thinking " so what else is new?!"
About a week ago the "hissing/digital sounding pop??" started slowly and maintains itself even while switching to different sources. There was an update recently and I pushed that just for fun, knowing it likely wouldn't fix my issue. Leaving it powered off for about 20 min. and back on has brought it back to normal for a few hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr6008 , Marantz Sr7008
Gear in this thread