The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2731 Old 10-14-2013, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Virtually everyone that has posted upgrading from an XT to XT32 model has noted a noticeable improvement in audio quality, which should also be the case going from the 6008 to the 7008.

Thanks JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2731 Old 10-15-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, here I am after 24h accurate reading of this thread smile.gif
I first want to thank jdsmoothie, enricoclaudio and all others members who have been contributing so far, you are great.

I've been testing a 6008 for almost a week and I want to replace it with a 7008 or another avr cause I'm not satisfied with its dual hdmi out (I have 1 tv and 1 projector, wish I had read this forum one week ago). I will pay just the price difference with a little discount.
I really love 6008 sound and its dynamic range, compared to an older denon (I first tested 6008 with the same settings on Denon without audissey). It is driving B&W 684 front speakers, b&w HTM62 center, B&W M-1 surround-surrond back, B&W asw610 sub.
My three options are:

- a splitter for hdmi1 and keep 6008 (I hate splitters as I owned two in the past, but the vendor told me I can just try it and give it back if I'm not satisfied)
- a 7008 because of its xt32, more wattage, more features and bi-amp option without loosing 7.1
- a cambridge audio azur 651r for the same price of a 7008 (that sounds very attractive)

I would ask to you:

- What is the best otpion
- If xt32 really improve the sound stage compared to xt if I don't use dynamic eq and volume unless it's late night
- If bi-amping is really worthless as Jd reports, I read that someone with an older marantz did it (on the same speakers I'm using) noticing some little improvements
- If CA 651r is a better option for anyone like me who is not provided with deep audiophile ears but doesn't care at all about marantz Lan features. I guess CA is much less ergonomic and with an older audyssey.

Another question is about dynamic eq and volume:
I read that 7008 has two buttons to activate them on the lower panel but not ont the remote, is there any trick to acces them remotely? I have a logitech one, but the two comands are not listed.
post #453 of 2731 Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
^^
1. Option 1 would certainly be the least costly.
2. If listening level is < 80/0db, then Dyn EQ is recommended ALL the time, while Dyn Vol can be used only when needed. Even without being used, yes, XT32 is that much better.
3. Some will say they hear a difference while others won't. No harm in trying, although just note that the "placebo' effect is in play.
4. The CA uses the lowest version of Audyssey 2EQ which not only cannot EQ the sub, but XT (6008) has 16x higher speaker filter resolution and XT32 (7008) has 512x higher speaker filter resolution than does 2EQ.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #454 of 2731 Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 PM
585-645-1006

Firmware Update Changelog

The following changelog applies to all the X008 models (unless noted otherwise) for the recent update:

1) The product corresponded to QPlay. (5008, 6008).
2) The default value concerning Dynamic Volume after completing the Setup Assistant changed from "On" to "Off".
3) "File Format Error" and "Track Not Found" are displayed by playing a specific iRadio station, and, if "Enter" is pushed, the display becomes empty "PlayView".
4) When the customer is about to play New Stations of Recommended Stations by Internet Radio, it becomes impossible to play other stations.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #455 of 2731 Old 10-15-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Another question is about dynamic eq and volume:
I read that 7008 has two buttons to activate them on the lower panel but not ont the remote, is there any trick to acces them remotely? I have a logitech one, but the two comands are not listed.[/quote]

You can access them through the setup menu from the remote.
post #456 of 2731 Old 10-15-2013, 01:54 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Try downloading the command from the Logitech file for the Marantz 7005 to the Harmony.

post #457 of 2731 Old 10-15-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:

^^
Try downloading the command from the Logitech file for the Marantz 7005 to the Harmony.

Oh my god! eek.gif
You are my hero!!!
post #458 of 2731 Old 10-15-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:

^^
1. Option 1 would certainly be the least costly.
2. If listening level is < 80/0db, then Dyn EQ is recommended ALL the time, while Dyn Vol can be used only when needed. Even without being used, yes, XT32 is that much better.
3. Some will say they hear a difference while others won't. No harm in trying, although just note that the "placebo' effect is in play.
4. The CA uses the lowest version of Audyssey 2EQ which not only cannot EQ the sub, but XT (6008) has 16x higher speaker filter resolution and XT32 (7008) has 512x higher speaker filter resolution than does 2EQ.

Thank you very much, I think I will go with the 7008! (I will buy some food next month)
post #459 of 2731 Old 10-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Hi,

I've been a member for a while but havent been on in over a decade. I just moved and started from scratch on a new HT setup. I got the new Panasonic 65" ZT plasma and paired with B&WCM9 for FR and FL and a CMCC2 for Center (which I had to order and am picking up today) I also went with the Marantz SR6008. I was looking at the Denon X4000 (only $100 more) but my wife liked the sound on the Marantz more. I am planning on the CM5 for rears and the new ASW10CM for sub in a month or 2. Do I need an external amplifier to drive these B&W speakers or is the 110/ch enough? Would the SR7008 be a better fit? Wasn't planning to go to more than a 5.1 setup. The room is about 25' wide and about 18' deep with 12' ceilings. It's an open floor plan with a stair case creating the back of the room so there is a lot of echo to begin with. Right now I'm runninng 2.0 and I have the volume around 70-76 depending on what I'm watching. The Bass seems lacking somewhat. My last speakers were NHT's where the M5 was ontop of the T1 which was the bass and it was hooked up to an external crossover? I think. Anyway I had no "seperate" sub and the base was awesome, but they were 12 years old and even flooded in Huricanne Katrina. They still worked but it was time to upgrade. Any suggestions would be helpful. I could still return the B&W and mail order NHT's if you think that would be better for HT.

Thanks.

Rob
post #460 of 2731 Old 10-16-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 325
You haven't mentioned if you've run the Audyssey calibration, or if Audyssey room EQ was enabled when you were auditioning the receivers. If you were comparing receivers in a showroom (like at Best Buy), it probably would have been disabled. A "proper" Audyssey calibration usually makes a big difference in the quality of the sound when listening in an untreated room.

After calibration, the volume control provides a logarithmic setting which tells you how close the volume is to reference sound levels (80 on the volume display). It has nothing to do with how close you are to the maximum volume that the receiver can provide. This is unlike the situation with traditional receiver designs which do not include any room equalization software.

You're describing a relatively large room, so I suspect the need for a high calibrated volume level setting would be reasonable because of the large echo delay: there wouldn't be so many immediate reflections providing an apparent volume increase as in a smaller room. In other words, a volume level close to 80 (aka movie reference level) probably is reasonable.

If you haven't already done so, please take the time to read through the AVS Audyssey 101/FAQ. The instructions provided in the receiver's owners manual are woefully inadequate. It also includes answers to many questions similar to those you've asked. http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#post_21782993

The power differences among the receivers you've mentioned are miniscule. Their major differences are that both the SR7008 and the AVR x4000 have the highest level of Audyssey room correction (XT32) while the SR6008 has only XT. That difference alone can make a noticeable improvement in audio quality, including the bass.

I hesitate to say that external amps would make a noticeable difference, but with a large room like yours and running without a subwoofer, a substantial amount of power would need to be delivered to the speakers in order to get a high level of bass frequencies. To make a barely noticeable difference, though, (3dB) you'd need amps rated to deliver at least 200W/channel, the maximum rating of the speakers.

To get higher sound levels in your large room, you'd need significantly more efficient speakers, with sensitivities in the vicinity of 95dB or higher. NHT speakers typically are less efficient than the ones you have now (85dB vs 89dB). Klipsch speakers usually are close to 100dB, but they can tend to be somewhat "bright".

Another thing to consider is that people often have gotten to like "boomy" bass peaks which were caused by room resonances. As a result, accurate bass, which results when Audyssey has eliminated those peaks, can seem to be somewhat anemic. The use of a calibrated spectrum analyzer like Omnimic ($200) or REW (free software + ~$100 for a calibrated microphone) can help to determine if it sounds weak because those peaks are missing or because the bass actually is falling off faster than it should.

I hope these comments help a little.

Selden
post #461 of 2731 Old 10-16-2013, 04:40 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
NHT has a good deal right now you might want to check out before making a decision.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #462 of 2731 Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 AM

So I saw this thread so thought I could come in here to get some information.
I originally had a Harman Kardon 340 receiver. I wanted to upgrade mainly on the fact that I wanted to add HDMI switching.
I switched to a Rotel 1057. Then I learned it doesn't pass audio through so I would still need toslink cables.
Tomorrow it is getting returned and I am getting a Marantz sr5008. Can anyone give me some insight on the differences between this
and the other two recievers I had? Will it sound better?

Focal speakers all aruond, klipsch subwoofer.
post #463 of 2731 Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmitz View Post

Hi,

... Would the SR7008 be a better fit?...

I've had both 6008 and 7008, I upgraded mostly because I needed dual monitor hdmi, but I can say 7008 is more performing and ergonomic, it's in you if it is worth the price difference.
- Auyissey xt32 is really better. On 2.0 audio I can even listen more centered dialogs voices, I'm not sure it depends on it, I'm still testing 7008.
- It has a second display with full info (you will always take an eye on it if your devices are complex and like to keep changing options)
- In my opinion the additional watts are audible on front speakers (could be just a 1st impression)
- More flexibility for adding zones or audio channels (everybody is not planning to add them when getting a new avr but always want to in the future rolleyes.gif)
post #464 of 2731 Old 10-17-2013, 02:25 PM

Well, as an update, I just added my Center channel that came in yesterday and all I can say is WOW! Now I'm not sure if it's because I was watching Cable that the sound wasn't as good, but when I put in a Blu-Ray of Dark Knight Rises the bass was noticeable. I did run Audyssey with the original setup and reran it when I installed the Center Chanel. I"m thinking of adding the the SW or surrounds this weekend. The price isn't an issue as much as wasting money. I have no plans at this time to run another zone let along hire someone to punch holes in my walls and ceiling to run the cables. I guess I could do wireless but the SR6008 has 2 zone support (the 7008 has 3 I believe.) Right now my wife likes using her Big Jam-box and moving it room to room and streaming her iPhone so Zones aren't an issue. My last house I had for 10 years and never installed a 2nd zone. I also had 7.1 setup last house and only had one DVD that supported it, I think it was Gladiator that had support for more than 5.1. I still have 3 weeks to return stuff at BestBuy but the more I add to my system the happier I am.

BTW, does anyone know of a wireless solution to hook CM5's to the AVR that will drive them well without lag or loss of sound?

Thanks,

Rob
post #465 of 2731 Old 10-17-2013, 06:15 PM

Liked: 11

New to this thread-- I am in process of modernizing my living room audio equipment.  Currently have a Nakamichi TA-2A and Mission Cyrus 781 speakers.  Still works great  and sounds pretty good --- but --- I am ready to enter the 21st cent. and bring in 5.1 surround system and pair with a new led tv.  Yes I still have an old crt tv.  I am slowly building my new system.  In place now are the following:  Surround speakers: Martin Logan Helos 12,  Right and Left speakers : Martin Logan motion 15.  Center speaker: Martin Logan Motion 6.  Sub speaker: Martin Logan Dynamo 300.  I am about to purchase a Marantz sr5008 to finally replace the Nakamichi.  The Nak has been running for 25 years without any problems.  Hopefully Marantz will take me another 25 years.  One of the things I like about the Marantz sr5008 is that is has Arc on the back and pass-through.  I want to purchase a new LED tv but I have read that not all tvs play well with av receivers that have arc and pass through.  Does anybody have advice on a good tv?  I am looking now at the Samsung UN46F7500 but I am becoming more and more concerned that that tv(brand) may not be a good fit with trying to utilize the arc feature on the Marantz sr5008.  Will a Samsung work?  Will I be able to pull full 5.1 from the tv or will it only be 2.0.  I have seen a mix bag of info on using the arc feature on this unit.

post #466 of 2731 Old 10-19-2013, 05:11 AM

Is it a big diffrence between sr5008 and sr6008? Im interested to buy one of them, for 2.0 or 2.1 sound to start with. Both got HDAM which is good but do both have 12.000uf capacitors or do the 5008 only got 10.000uf? Thanks for replys.

post #467 of 2731 Old 10-19-2013, 11:14 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Either would be an excellent choice. Select the model which offers the features that you need or believe you will grow in to.

post #468 of 2731 Old 10-19-2013, 11:17 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownaudio View Post

New to this thread-- I am in process of modernizing my living room audio equipment.  Currently have a Nakamichi TA-2A and Mission Cyrus 781 speakers.  Still works great  and sounds pretty good --- but --- I am ready to enter the 21st cent. and bring in 5.1 surround system and pair with a new led tv.  Yes I still have an old crt tv.  I am slowly building my new system.  In place now are the following:  Surround speakers: Martin Logan Helos 12,  Right and Left speakers : Martin Logan motion 15.  Center speaker: Martin Logan Motion 6.  Sub speaker: Martin Logan Dynamo 300.  I am about to purchase a Marantz sr5008 to finally replace the Nakamichi.  The Nak has been running for 25 years without any problems.  Hopefully Marantz will take me another 25 years.  One of the things I like about the Marantz sr5008 is that is has Arc on the back and pass-through.  I want to purchase a new LED tv but I have read that not all tvs play well with av receivers that have arc and pass through.  Does anybody have advice on a good tv?  I am looking now at the Samsung UN46F7500 but I am becoming more and more concerned that that tv(brand) may not be a good fit with trying to utilize the arc feature on the Marantz sr5008.  Will a Samsung work?  Will I be able to pull full 5.1 from the tv or will it only be 2.0.  I have seen a mix bag of info on using the arc feature on this unit.

Even if the ARC feature works, it's generally more of a pain then a useful feature not to mention in many cases can only pass stereo 2.0 audio (check the TV's owner's manual to confirm) while an optical connection can pass DD 5.1 (eg. Netflix movies). The HDMI pass through feature is also more often best worked around by connecting the cable/sat box directly to the TV via HDMI with optical from the box to the AVR, which can avoid any possible HDMI handshake issues either at present or as a result of a firmware update to the cable/sat box. In either of these work around configurations, there is no lose in audio quality going to optical vice using HDMI.
ttownaudio likes this.

post #469 of 2731 Old 10-21-2013, 06:20 PM

Liked: 16
iTUNES - is there any way to access iTunes directly???

I would like to access my iTunes library AND playlists directly through the network input on my Marantz SR7008. Is this possible??? eek.gif

I have discovered all of these other options but none are ideal for various reasons:

1) Airplay. Problem: I don't have an iphone, ipod touch or ipad... so if I want to stream music directly from my PC, I have to go upstairs to my PC, open iTunes, then run downstairs to the basement to listen to the music. Also, Airplay doesn't allow me to access my playlists. So Airplay is basically useless to me. frown.gif

2) Network Connection, which does have access to all my music on my PC. Problem: for some reason it only sees playlists in Windows Media Player ("WMS"), but not my playlists in iTunes. I figured out how to copy/export my playlist from iTunes to WMS, but since WMS can't play certain song formats, neither can the SR7008 for some reason (even though it can play those songs when I plug in my iPod directly... weird). Also, every time I add a new songs on iTunes and update my playlists, I'd have to recopy those playlists into WMS... ugh...

3) connect iPod to front USB port. Works fine, but... Problem: my cabinet is tight and there isn't enough space to keep the SR7008's front flap open and iPod plugged in. I really wish they added a USB input to the back of the SR7008 as well. In case you're wondering, I tried using a "30-pin to HDMI cable" and plugged it into the media player input on the back of the SR7008... it didn't work.

If I got Apple TV, would that allow me to access my iTunes library and playlists directly to the SR7008??? There's got be an easier way, no? confused.gif
post #470 of 2731 Old 10-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 55
Either the Apple TV or an Airport Express are your only options to access your itune library from your PC. I think the Airport Express costs $30 less than an Apple TV.
post #471 of 2731 Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 AM

You could consider getting a NAS and storing your iTunes library on it. Never have to turn on your computer again to access your music smile.gif
Getting a NAS a few years ago was one of the best tech decisions I ever made at home....Sonos in a few rooms; Squeezebox in kitchen; Marantz 7008 pumping music in 3 rooms...all without ever turning on the iMac.
post #472 of 2731 Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 AM

Agree, NAS is the way to go. I suggest Synology smile.gif
post #473 of 2731 Old 10-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

He didn't sound like he wanted to invest too much money. A NAS would be $200+. Also, he wouldn't be able to access his itunes playlists with a NAS.
post #474 of 2731 Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 PM

Thanks guys. Money is not the main issue, but having said that I don't see the point of getting an iPhone or iPad just to be able to access iTunes thru the receiver, and I figured there HAS TO BE a better way of access iTunes instead of Air Play since I'm linked via the network... seems silly that you can access iTunes thru Air Play but not the Ethernet network connection.

Actually, should mention my wife does have an iPad which is linked to my PC, but she'll usually be checking her email while I'm listening to music downstairs... and even if she's not, I really don't want to have to look for it (who knows where she left it!) each time I want to listen to music. Point is I don't want any portable peripheral devices that I need to carry with me just to listen to music, I possible.

BTW, the Air Port does not seem to have an HDMI output, so I don't think that will work. But the Apple TV is actually only $10 more (at least in Canada) so I guess that is the best option (thanks Lulimet!)... unless anyone one else knows of another method that doesn't not need any additional equipment. Thanks guys!
post #475 of 2731 Old 10-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Do you have a smart phone at all? If you have an Android phone, there are apps that work with itunes.
post #476 of 2731 Old 10-22-2013, 06:39 PM

Has anyone gotten a wireless bridge to work with this? I live in an apartment and there is no way to get a wire to it.
post #477 of 2731 Old 10-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know about wireless bridge but I use one of those ethernet over power plugs and it works great.
post #478 of 2731 Old 10-22-2013, 07:56 PM

Smart phone: Blackberry... I need a keyboard and they still have the best email, by far.

Wireless: I had same problem with wireless, so like lulimet, I use the "powerline" method (sends signals through the electrical plug). Works very well as is WAY BETTER and EASIER to set up than wireless. Wireless only makes sense (when it works) for portable devices, but not for stationary HT equipment. I wasted an entire weekend trying to set up a wireless bridge... never worked... then I discovered the "powerline" option and set it up in 2 minutes.
post #479 of 2731 Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 AM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

I don't know about wireless bridge but I use one of those ethernet over power plugs and it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoforsale View Post

Smart phone: Blackberry... I need a keyboard and they still have the best email, by far.

Wireless: I had same problem with wireless, so like lulimet, I use the "powerline" method (sends signals through the electrical plug). Works very well as is WAY BETTER and EASIER to set up than wireless. Wireless only makes sense (when it works) for portable devices, but not for stationary HT equipment. I wasted an entire weekend trying to set up a wireless bridge... never worked... then I discovered the "powerline" option and set it up in 2 minutes.

Would you please recommend a manufacturer and model number; I am very interested in this possible solution for my setup as well.

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #480 of 2731 Old 10-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008