The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 166Likes

Old 06-03-2017, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark7rules View Post
JD,
Thank you for your quick reply. It has been a long time since I've setup the Audyssey settings, and have made many tweaks to Dialog level and Subwoofer Levels etc...over time. I think it may be safer using the "Dual backup memory function" to save all of my settings and tweaks vs Audyssey Setup - Restore. Does that sound right?

And in any case, where do I go to change the individual speaker levels? When I was poking around in the Setup menus, every place I looked seemed to want to start a new speaker setup vs adjusting the current speaker levels.

Under Settings\Manual Setup pg 192, the manual states "If you change the speaker settings after performing Audyssey® Setup, it will not be possible to select Audyssey MultEQ® XT32"...does this mean that I won't be using Audyssey MultEQ if I boost the rear channels for playback?
The manual continues on to say "“Manual Setup” can be used without changing the settings. Please set if necessary."

Thank you for your help JD!
David,

Do you an spl meter? If not, radioshack has some cheap digital or analog options, and this will help you set the db of each speaker if you aren't satisfied with the audyssey results in your surrounds. You should go into your speaker levels and verify, with your spl meter, that each speaker is at the same level, and if you want a slight boost in the surrounds, raise about a half db over your mains. You don't want to go too far, otherwise, your overall soundstage could be vastly impacted.
Aardvark7rules likes this.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I
Marantz SR7008 with TK421 Modification
Emotiva XPA-5
Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Oppo UDP-203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2017, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13766 Post(s)
Liked: 6412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
David,

Do you an spl meter? If not, radioshack has some cheap digital or analog options, and this will help you set the db of each speaker if you aren't satisfied with the audyssey results in your surrounds. You should go into your speaker levels and verify, with your spl meter, that each speaker is at the same level, and if you want a slight boost in the surrounds, raise about a half db over your mains. You don't want to go too far, otherwise, your overall soundstage could be vastly impacted.
Keeping in mind that the AVR test tones are not processed by Audyssey so may not provide accurate 75db when using an SPL meter, rather much better to use a calibrated tone disc (eg. Spears and Munsil) which will be processed by Audyssey, otherwise, you're simply just setting the volume level of the speakers to suit your preference rather than what would be heard when listening to audio with Audyssey enabled.
Tom Riddle and Aardvark7rules like this.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Keeping in mind that the AVR test tones are not processed by Audyssey so may not provide accurate 75db when using an SPL meter, rather much better to use a calibrated tone disc (eg. Spears and Munsil) which will be processed by Audyssey, otherwise, you're simply just setting the volume level of the speakers to suit your preference rather than what would be heard when listening to audio with Audyssey enabled.
Good point. Using new then AVR test tones at reference volume on my system produces about 71 do per speaker. As you mentioned, the reference volume set by audyssey is at 75 dab. I just use the test tones on the avr as a reference point per speaker. A calibration disc is a better option.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203

Old 06-04-2017, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
You would have to have an analog source playing in order for it to pass through the analog audio outputs; however, if you have the headphone amp connected to the FL/FR main zone pre-outs, you should be good to go with any source.
Hi jdsmoothie,

I finally got round to switching the RCA cables from the the audio out output to the FL/FR main zone pre-outs as you suggested. That got the headphones working (yeah!), but, the loudspeakers are playing as well, which sort of defeats the purpose. I suppose the receiver isn't built to act as a headphone amp pre out. Think I might try using my Minix neo U1 as a source. Just have to find an adapter for the RCA plugs.

Chris
Old 06-04-2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog's dinner View Post
Hi jdsmoothie,

I finally got round to switching the RCA cables from the the audio out output to the FL/FR main zone pre-outs as you suggested. That got the headphones working (yeah!), but, the loudspeakers are playing as well, which sort of defeats the purpose. I suppose the receiver isn't built to act as a headphone amp pre out. Think I might try using my Minix neo U1 as a source. Just have to find an adapter for the RCA plugs.

Chris
Another option that would not activate the main zone speakers would be using the Zone 2 or 3 pre-outs, although then limited to non-HDMI 2CH stereo from the source (ie. optical, digital coax, analog).
Old 06-04-2017, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Another option that would not activate the main zone speakers would be using the Zone 2 or 3 pre-outs, although then limited to non-HDMI 2CH stereo from the source (ie. optical, digital coax, analog).
OK, thanks, I'll give it a shot. Good idea!

Chris
Old 06-05-2017, 04:01 AM

Well, the zone solution worked very well. It's a bit fiddly changing between zones and the main speakers, but I got the hang of it in the end more or less. I'd plugged the headphone amp into the zone 2 sockets. Funny thing is, though, the main loudspeakers continue to play, albeit at a very low and non-adjustable volume. The difference in sensitivity between my Grado SR-325is's and AKG K701s is enormous. AKGs are obviously harder to run than the Grados, because the volume had to be turned up many notches.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance and tips. Been a great help!

Chris
Old 06-05-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Well, the zone solution worked very well. It's a bit fiddly changing between zones and the main speakers, but I got the hang of it in the end more or less. I'd plugged the headphone amp into the zone 2 sockets. Funny thing is, though, the main loudspeakers continue to play, albeit at a very low and non-adjustable volume. The difference in sensitivity between my Grado SR-325is's and AKG K701s is enormous. AKGs are obviously harder to run than the Grados, because the volume had to be turned up many notches.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance and tips. Been a great help!

Chris
The main zone can be muted or actually doesn't have to be on at all (unless using Spotify or Airplay).
Old 06-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The main zone can be muted or actually doesn't have to be on at all (unless using Spotify or Airplay).
Thanks. Just discovered how to mute the main speakers. I'll have to study the manual about which buttons to press in which sequence. My current method is like ghe monkey writing Hamlet - you get there eventually even if you don't know how.

Still, I'm sitting here enjoying a bit of Handel on the Grados, which between you, me and the gatepost I think were overtaxed by the previous owner. I've only had them a week, but there are tell tale distortions whenever the music approaches half volume and high notes.

Chris
Old 06-05-2017, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
1. Yes.
2. Manual Setup - Levels - Test Tones - (speaker/sub)
3. Poor wording indeed, but no, you won't lose Audyssey by adjusting speaker/sub volume levels.

Hi JD,
1. I used the dual backup memory function and also remembered an earlier discussion using the web interface to perform a system backup so I also backed up the settings to a file on my computer.
2. I was able to adjust the speaker levels as desired thru Manual Setup - Levels as advised. When I entered this menu earlier and saw the Test Tones heading, I incorrectly thought it was a new manual speaker setup... This worked great for me.

BTW, Sgt. Peppers did sound much better to my ears with the higher rear levels in relation to the LCR and sub.

Tom Riddle,
Hi there. I do have an inexpensive SPL meter I bought from Radio Shack a few years ago and I've read the follow up posts concerning the test tones. I have the test disk mentioned and may try for fun to see how the SPL meter results compare relative to the Audyssey configuration results. I have to say, the last time I ran Audyssey and configured my speakers, I got the best, almost magical sound balanced around my seating position. Just outstanding sound, and have not touched the configuration in years now. I have changed out my TV and a small chair in the room but have held off re-running Audyssey until a few more upcoming changes in the furniture are complete.

Thank you all for your help! As always, this is a great forum full of knowledgeable, helpful people!

David

David

OPPO BDP-105
Marantz SR7008
Klipsch RF-7 II Home Theater System
SVS PB13-Ultra Subwoofer
Old 06-05-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. Just discovered how to mute the main speakers. I'll have to study the manual about which buttons to press in which sequence. My current method is like ghe monkey writing Hamlet - you get there eventually even if you don't know how.

Still, I'm sitting here enjoying a bit of Handel on the Grados, which between you, me and the gatepost I think were overtaxed by the previous owner. I've only had them a week, but there are tell tale distortions whenever the music approaches half volume and high notes.

Chris
I use the Marantz app on my iPad or iPhone and it is great to turn zones on and off. I have it hooked up to two zones, main, and zone 2 for my back patio. Makes quick volume adjustments easy as well. Now if they would only make it Apple Watch friend, it would be even better!

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
Old 06-06-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I use the Marantz app on my iPad or iPhone and it is great to turn zones on and off. I have it hooked up to two zones, main, and zone 2 for my back patio. Makes quick volume adjustments easy as well. Now if they would only make it Apple Watch friend, it would be even better!
That's a good idea, Tom. I've got the Marantz app on a tablet on smart phone, so that's definitely something I'll be looking at. I've never bothered with zones before, so it's a new adventure!

Chris
Tom Riddle likes this.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's a good idea, Tom. I've got the Marantz app on a tablet on smart phone, so that's definitely something I'll be looking at. I've never bothered with zones before, so it's a new adventure!

Chris
The zones feature is awesome! I wish I had installed a 3rd zone in the master bath when I had the house built, but hindsight is 20/20. You will most likely need to put your unit on a static ip, otherwise it will lose its connection periodically.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
Old 06-17-2017, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Getting ready to sell my Marantz SR6008, been trying to do a factory reset but not having any luck! Any suggestions?
Old Yesterday, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzs22 View Post
Getting ready to sell my Marantz SR6008, been trying to do a factory reset but not having any luck! Any suggestions?

If pressing/holding the Zone 2 Source + M-DAX buttons while powering on the AVR is not resetting the microprocessor then try the Preset CH+ / Preset CH - buttons instead.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
If pressing/holding the Zone 2 Source + M-DAX buttons while powering on the AVR is not resetting the microprocessor then try the Preset CH+ / Preset CH - buttons instead.
After a few attempts I got it to reset Thanks!
Old Today, 12:05 AM

Re the problem with the zones and headphones etc posted above.

Just thought I'd drop a note saying I discovered how to turn the zones on and off, and also mute the main loudspeakers. As I said, I had been fumbling with buttons on the remote like a monkey writing Shakespeare, and probably not half as well (), when by accident I happened to look at the display on the remote, and saw it change from Main, to Zone1 and Zone2. That made me realize I could go through the various zones by pressing the zone button and telling the receiver what I wanted it to do. Simple really. Just never thought of looking at that tiny display.

Cheers everyone!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr6008 , Marantz Sr7008