The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2872 Old 11-20-2013, 05:58 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
^^
He was likely referring to using the passive bi-amp feature in the AVR vice using an external amp. In addition to the better quality audio provided by XT32 in the 7008, the 7008 also features Audyssey LFC, which will attenuate the lower bass frequencies (whether using a dedicated sub or simply 2.0) which allows you to play the master volume louder and not annoy your neighbors. A very nice feature when living in an apartment. smile.gif
chrisdemello likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2872 Old 11-20-2013, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
He was likely referring to using the passive bi-amp feature in the AVR vice using an external amp. In addition to the better quality audio provided by XT32 in the 7008, the 7008 also features Audyssey LFC, which will attenuate the lower bass frequencies (whether using a dedicated sub or simply 2.0) which allows you to play the master volume louder and not annoy your neighbors. A very nice feature when living in an apartment. smile.gif

Thanks jdsmoothie! I've been reading quite a bit lately but never come across Audyssey LFC. I suppose the audio benefits are mostly due to Audyssey upgrades? How about components-wise?

Here's the setup that I have in mind:

1. 804D2 (purchased)

2. CM Centre (should I go for CMC2?)

3. CCM362 ceiling rear speakers 

4. ASW610 (thinking of changing this to SVS PB12 or SB12)

5. Marantz SR5008 (still unsure if I should go for SR7008, might be bi-amping SR5008 if I don't)

6. XLO HT wires

post #633 of 2872 Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 PM
585-645-1006

If movies/TV make up most of your listening, ideally you want the center speaker to be the same or better quality then your front mains. Also as already implied, using the passive bi-amp feature on an AVR is not likely to provide any benefit.

http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/lfc
chrisdemello likes this.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #634 of 2872 Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 PM

Liked: 0
Got it. Do you reckon 7008 has worthwhile benefits over 5008? I will only be using it for 5.1 and single hdmi output to my tv. Mostly for music though.
post #635 of 2872 Old 11-21-2013, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjochen View Post

Thanks for the nudge Tommaazz -- as if I needed the help! rolleyes.gif

Sometimes I like to feel new purchases out from a different angle: if there was one thing that you were maybe a bit less than thrilled about, or wish was done a little differently with the 7008, what would that be (any pet peeves with interface/capability, etc.)? Other than a little less bass presence that you mention (which for me, I'm not an overly in-your-face-bass kinda guy so, may be a non-issue for me).

If you don't mind, do you tend to listen at full volume? What sort of media (cinema, jazz, pop, classical)? Do you run Dynamic EQ & happy with it? Again, thanks for your thoughts -- one step closer. . .  slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch. . . Niagara Falls! tongue.gif  

When i am listening to music (pop, rock) at around -10 i engage pure direct as it sounds best to me, sometimes i listen with all channels stereo, but without DYN EQ. Dvy EQ is fine if you listen at lover volumes as it makes sound fuller. As far as the watching movies goes i watch it at around -15 to -20. I had always DYN EQ engaged but now i am trying to watch without it and i would say it sounds better (some movies have exagerrated surround with DYN EQ) but only if you listen, i would say at levels -20 or lower, any higher i would engage DYN EQ because of better bass at lower listening levels. I say buy a raft get in it and let it go down the Niagara falls smile.gif
post #636 of 2872 Old 11-21-2013, 03:15 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdemello View Post

Got it. Do you reckon 7008 has worthwhile benefits over 5008? I will only be using it for 5.1 and single hdmi output to my tv. Mostly for music though.

If the 7008 is not out of your budget, definitely.

post #637 of 2872 Old 11-21-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked: 14
First Post on the forums! Lots of great info over the years. Finally taking a dive into asking my own questions and gaining more knowledge. I also am starting my first home theater setup that isn't a cheap soundbar. I just bought some of the Andrew Jones designed Florrstanders and matching center dirt cheap off my friend, so I will be using that for now. I am looking into getting either Martin Logan ESLs or Def Tech Towers. I would get the matching center for either set. I have not decided on surrounds yet. Possibly ML in ceilings or a cheaper yamahas (open for ideas there). I also got a ML Dynamo 700 sub. So currently I plan or running the Pioneer's fronts and center with the ML Dynamo 700 sub. But I will be upgrading within the year. So finally my question is...

WIth my current set up do I need all the power of the 5008 or the 6008 (feature wise I dont see anything I would use in the 6008 other than digital to zone 2 support). I have also been looking at the Denon X4000. Not sure if there is any notable differences across the two brands that are not listed in the forums already. I know they are made by the same company. I alsos know that the Denon uses XT32 room correction which seems to be a plus. Not sure if all that is worth it over my other option which is the Marantz 1604 and an external amp from Emotiva like the UPA or XPA 200s. I am not sure if the extra power would be needed in my Pioneer set up but I am assuming it would be needed in the Martin Logan Electrostat setup. I have never really got a grasp on the best way to tell if your speakers would perform better with more power. I am really open for ideas. I want the most bang for buck as the feature set amongst the Denons is very similar other than power and room correction. I am hoping you all will have insight on this to help me make the right choice. Thanks!
post #638 of 2872 Old 11-21-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Except for features, NR6004 has only Audyssey MultEQ, so it is a poorer choice than SR5008 & SR6008 which have XT, but they're poorer choices than X4000 & SR7008 which have XT32. The power difference among the latter 4 is not audible.

More power = can play louder without distortion, otherwise it's an audiophile myth/snake oil that it improves the sound. Remember that doubling the power only increases the maximum sound level by 3dB, but 10dB is needed to produce what seems to be a doubling of the audible sound level. Our ears are very non-linear. To get louder sounds, it's far better to get more efficient speakers.

However, external amps often are designed to drive low impedance (4 Ohm or less) speakers, which often is not the case for the amps in low- to mid-range receivers. Electrostatic and magnetic planar speakers usually are very low impedance. You'll have to check their specs to be sure the amps and speakers are compatible.

Selden
post #639 of 2872 Old 11-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Is there likely to be any sonic signature difference between the Marantz and Denon lines? Or would it be likely that any sonic difference between the receivers would more likely come from different processing of XT or XT32. I just want the best quality sound I can get in my room. If Denon's X4000 with XT32 than the 6008 with only XT that seems lto be the logical choice in my situation I assume. And it seems that 50 watts a channel would be enough for 8ohm speakers in small to mid size rooms. I just like the small size of the 1604.
post #640 of 2872 Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Man View Post

Is there likely to be any sonic signature difference between the Marantz and Denon lines?

No, all other things being equal. Same factory, same engineers, same management.
Quote:
Or would it be likely that any sonic difference between the receivers would more likely come from different processing of XT or XT32

That can matter quite a bit.

Quote:
. I just want the best quality sound I can get in my room. If Denon's X4000 with XT32 than the 6008 with only XT that seems lto be the logical choice in my situation I assume.

True.

Don't forget that having a good subwoofer, good system integration and setup, and room acoustics are exceedingly important.
post #641 of 2872 Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 AM

I will be running the ML Dynamo 700 subwoofer. It seems fairly solid to me. Thank you for the advice. What do you mean by system integration though?
post #642 of 2872 Old 11-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dumb question here ... I have a traditional 5.1 set up , which is my setting in the menu? Is it 9.1 or 5.1 zone 2/3 I'm confused.
post #643 of 2872 Old 11-21-2013, 05:48 PM
585-645-1006

With only a 5.1 setup and not using any Zone speakers it doesn't matter what the setting is on, however, no reason to change it from the factory default of 9.1.

post #644 of 2872 Old 11-22-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
So far I am liking the new Network capabilities of this AVR. I already used Pandora, XM online and internet radio so, it's great in that sense. My problem is there is no type of screensaver. I'm nervous about my wife using these features and causing image retention on my plasma. I know it has a video mode but, she ain't going to do that everytime she wants to change channels. This is a serious oversight IMO. Has anyone addressed this issue with wife-safe solution?

Steve
post #645 of 2872 Old 11-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

So far I am liking the new Network capabilities of this AVR. I already used Pandora, XM online and internet radio so, it's great in that sense. My problem is there is no type of screensaver. I'm nervous about my wife using these features and causing image retention on my plasma. I know it has a video mode but, she ain't going to do that everytime she wants to change channels. This is a serious oversight IMO. Has anyone addressed this issue with wife-safe solution?

I was wondering the same thing. There is setting you can select that turns the screen off after 30 secs. I've used it when playing from an ipod. It worked for a while, then it stopped working... not sure why. I'm also worried about the giant "MARANTZ" written across the screen even when nothing else is showing. Hopefully they provide a software update to take care of this oversight.

JDS, any thoughts on screen saving?
post #646 of 2872 Old 11-22-2013, 06:03 PM
585-645-1006

Although I would agree it is an oversight and I have addressed it with D&M, not likely to be changed. Although plasma TVs of today generally don't have to worry about image retention. Keep in mind there is the Auto Standby feature which can power off the AVR after a period of inactivity.

post #647 of 2872 Old 11-22-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Man View Post

Is there likely to be any sonic signature difference between the Marantz and Denon lines? Or would it be likely that any sonic difference between the receivers would more likely come from different processing of XT or XT32. I just want the best quality sound I can get in my room. If Denon's X4000 with XT32 than the 6008 with only XT that seems lto be the logical choice in my situation I assume. And it seems that 50 watts a channel would be enough for 8ohm speakers in small to mid size rooms. I just like the small size of the 1604.

I've never compared XT to XT32, but I can say that XT32 has had the biggest impact on my overall sound (other than upgrading speakers). Regarding 50 watts per channel, check if the specs say that is with all channels driven? If not, then it is likely with only 2 channels driven (maybe even just one channel?!). Depending how many channels you will be running, the actual RMS per channel will be lower by, say, 10-30% less... but depending on your crossover settings some of the heavy lifting will be taken up by a decent sub. But keep in mind you need to double the power to increase volume by only 3db. Also check the sensitivity of your speakers... ohms is only part of the equation.
post #648 of 2872 Old 11-22-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Although I would agree it is an oversight and I have addressed it with D&M, not likely to be changed. Although plasma TVs of today generally don't have to worry about image retention. Keep in mind there is the Auto Standby feature which can power off the AVR after a period of inactivity.

Also see page 178 of the SR7008 manual:

Now Playing
Sets the display time for the playback display when the input source is
“NETWORK”, “iPod/USB” or “HD Radio”.
Always On (Default) : Show display continuously.
Auto Off : Show display for 30 seconds after operation.

Like I said before, the "Auto Off" worked for a while, but it doesn't anymore for some reason... glitch?
post #649 of 2872 Old 11-22-2013, 06:18 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Do a soft reset by powering the unit to Standby and unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes.

post #650 of 2872 Old 11-22-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Anyone know if it is possible to have analog RCA audio out from my Oppo-105 go to the SR7008 while also utilizing video over HDMI on the same named input?
post #651 of 2872 Old 11-23-2013, 01:00 AM

Hi guys, need your kind help with some odd issue I have with the 7008.

I am looking to buy the 8801 but could only get the 7008 to demo in my house. I have a 7.2 setup so I used the 7008 pre out terminals and did full audyssey setup. everything sounded excellent and I was very impressed from the overall sound. The only thing is that for every 5.1 DTS or DTS MA material the 8007 output is 7.1 (7.2 in my case) meaning the back surrounds always work!!!
It doesn't happen with DD or True HD source material and I have tried different sources such as Dune HD and Oppo 105 and also changed sound modes to direct and pure direct but always got the same result frown.gif

Any idea what am I doing wrong?

post #652 of 2872 Old 11-23-2013, 04:13 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Anyone know if it is possible to have analog RCA audio out from my Oppo-105 go to the SR7008 while also utilizing video over HDMI on the same named input?

Yup. Change the Input Mode setting to "7.1 CH IN" (p. 182 OM), noting that doing so will disable Audyssey and bass management

post #653 of 2872 Old 11-23-2013, 04:16 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by arieldr View Post

Hi guys, need your kind help with some odd issue I have with the 7008.

I am looking to buy the 8801 but could only get the 7008 to demo in my house. I have a 7.2 setup so I used the 7008 pre out terminals and did full audyssey setup. everything sounded excellent and I was very impressed from the overall sound. The only thing is that for every 5.1 DTS or DTS MA material the 8007 output is 7.1 (7.2 in my case) meaning the back surrounds always work!!!
It doesn't happen with DD or True HD source material and I have tried different sources such as Dune HD and Oppo 105 and also changed sound modes to direct and pure direct but always got the same result frown.gif

Any idea what am I doing wrong?

Nothing. DTS changed the way they implement 5.1 a few years ago.

post #654 of 2872 Old 11-23-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:

Nothing. DTS changed the way they implement 5.1 a few years ago.

Can you please elaborate?
I was also demoing an Onkyo processor (5509) and didn't experience the 5.1 to 7.1 decoding.
post #655 of 2872 Old 11-23-2013, 08:38 AM

Is it possible on the 7008 to effectively have more than 3 zones, say, by having a 5.1 system in one room, assigning 2 amp channels to speakers in the kitchen, 2 amp channels to outdoor speakers, and zone 2 preamp outputs to a separate amp running to dedicated music speakers (and possibly even zone 3 preamp outputs to another amp running somewhere else)?

Or are there enough speaker connections to connect to a separate set of dedicated music speakers and switch between them (aren't there 11 speaker connections even though it is only a 9 channel amp?)

post #656 of 2872 Old 11-23-2013, 12:50 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yup. There's no issue if you want to connect the Zone 2/3 pre-outs to an external amp playing the same source as is playing to the Zone 2/3 speaker posts. Note the extra speaker posts on the 7008 are simply provided for convenience only in switching between different configurations without having to rewire the speakers as would be required on the lower level models with only 7 sets of speaker posts.

post #657 of 2872 Old 11-23-2013, 01:12 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by arieldr View Post

Can you please elaborate?
I was also demoing an Onkyo processor (5509) and didn't experience the 5.1 to 7.1 decoding.

This started happening on Denon AVRs a few years ago and when I spoke to a DTS engineer about it, he indicated that DTS changed they way that 5.1 audio was processed on 7.1 setups, rather not allowing 5.1 but instead passing it as 7.1.

post #658 of 2872 Old 11-23-2013, 06:24 PM

Speakers,
KEF iQ90 Fronts
KEF iQ60c center
Outlaw LFM-1 EX Sub
Old Infinity speakers for surround and back channel

my Onkyo TX-SR806 conked after nearly 5 years. It is going to cost me nearly $300 to get it fixed. Need advice for new receiver. Will appreciate some recommendation that will help drive current speakers and be able to drive a future upgrade to KEF R-Series speakers. Denon 4000 or Marantz 6008? budget ~$1500/-

layout,

post #659 of 2872 Old 11-23-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:

^^
Do a soft reset by powering the unit to Standby and unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes.

Yup, worked like a charm! I've said it before, and I'll say it again - JDS is amazing!

BTW, on a side note, I toyed with adjusting my crossovers from the Audyssey settings (based on a number of articles I've read suggesting it's better to increase the crossover). Specifically, I increased my main speakers from 40Hz to 60Hz, and wow what a difference - everything is boomy (not in a good way), so I went back to the Audyssey settings. Audyseey gets it right again! I LOVE Audyssey!!!
post #660 of 2872 Old 11-24-2013, 03:59 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymark View Post

Speakers,
KEF iQ90 Fronts
KEF iQ60c center
Outlaw LFM-1 EX Sub
Old Infinity speakers for surround and back channel

my Onkyo TX-SR806 conked after nearly 5 years. It is going to cost me nearly $300 to get it fixed. Need advice for new receiver. Will appreciate some recommendation that will help drive current speakers and be able to drive a future upgrade to KEF R-Series speakers. Denon 4000 or Marantz 6008? budget ~$1500/-

layout,

A better comparison would be the X4000 and the SR7008 as both use the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32. For more detailed information please call.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread - Sr5008 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page