The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 12:41 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,661
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoforsale View Post

Q for JDS re: crossover

Someone on another thread advised me that if Audyseey sets my front L&R speakers are set to full range and the cross over at 40Hz, but then I increase the crossover to 60Hz, then I'd be doubling the bass as BOTH the sub and main speakers will be playing between 40-60hz. In other words he claims that if the speakers are set to large, they get the full signal not matter what you set the cross over to. Is this correct?? Thanks!

If the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE/40Hz and the sub is left at it's default setting of LFE (ie. not LFE+MAIN), then nothing is crossed over to the sub. When the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE, the crossover is only taken into account if the sub is set to LFE+MAIN and in that instance, the FL/FR speakers would get the full range signal as well as the lower frequencies below the crossover (whether 40Hz or 60Hz) being passed to the sub (aka "double bass").

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Member
 
stereoforsale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE/40Hz and the sub is left at it's default setting of LFE (ie. not LFE+MAIN), then nothing is crossed over to the sub. When the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE, the crossover is only taken into account if the sub is set to LFE+MAIN and in that instance, the FL/FR speakers would get the full range signal as well as the lower frequencies below the crossover (whether 40Hz or 60Hz) being passed to the sub (aka "double bass").

Great. Sorry if someone asked this before, but can I:
(1) set the FL/FR to "small", AND
(2) manually adjust the crossover (if need be), AND
(3) still use MultiEQ and DynamicEQ?

If so how? Thanks!
stereoforsale is offline  
post #723 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Stevetd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Okay, I'm getting a little miffed about this "30 second screen off" issue. The suggestion was to do a soft reset to fix it. That worked but, unfortunately I lost sound until I did a full reset follow by another soft reset. Now the 30 second screen off is not working again. I'm not super excited about going through another reset....... The network features was a big part of my decision to go with this unit. I had an Anthem before so, I was good on the sound and other features. Anything in the works for a fix for this?

Steve
Stevetd is offline  
post #724 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 01:30 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,661
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoforsale View Post

Great. Sorry if someone asked this before, but can I:
(1) set the FL/FR to "small", AND
(2) manually adjust the crossover (if need be), AND
(3) still use MultiEQ and DynamicEQ?

If so how? Thanks!

Making the LARGE/SMALL and crossover adjustments do not effect the Audyssey EQ nor disable Audyssey as these settings are made by the AVR and not Audyssey. Only using the DIRECT, PURE DIRECT, or multi analog EXT IN jacks will disable Audyssey.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #725 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 01:33 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,661
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

Okay, I'm getting a little miffed about this "30 second screen off" issue. The suggestion was to do a soft reset to fix it. That worked but, unfortunately I lost sound until I did a full reset follow by another soft reset. Now the 30 second screen off is not working again. I'm not super excited about going through another reset....... The network features was a big part of my decision to go with this unit. I had an Anthem before so, I was good on the sound and other features. Anything in the works for a fix for this?

This is not a known issue to where a fix would be expected so more likely the result of a defective unit.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #726 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Newbie
 
Acerox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
About the transformer, it will convert the voltage but not the frequency, is there any issue running at 50Hz instead of 60Hz?
Acerox is offline  
post #727 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 01:39 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,661
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
You may be better served posting that question at AVForums.com which is the European equivalent of this USA forum.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #728 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Stevetd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

This is not a known issue to where a fix would be expected so more likely the result of a defective unit.

JD, Thanks for the reply. I'll call support.

Steve
Stevetd is offline  
post #729 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 02:39 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,661
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Other than ensuring that the OSD - Now Playing setting is confirmed to be set to "Auto OFF" and maybe cycling the setting to ON, save it, then OFF again, I cannot think of any other troubleshooting options. frown.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #730 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
petetherock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Down Under
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acerox View Post

About the transformer, it will convert the voltage but not the frequency, is there any issue running at 50Hz instead of 60Hz?
I have used a transformer before, no big issue for amplifiers / CD players, unless you are using a turntable.
Buy a transformer with excess capacity. Eg if the total power output is 600W, get something that is 20% more powerful.
petetherock is online now  
post #731 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Newbie
 
inthemarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone help me with the Marantz remote app please?

My receiver is hard wired (network cable running from a port on the wifi router from basement to the receiver). I set up the receiver DHCP "off" and was able to connect from my desktop (wired to internet) to the receiver (http://192.168.1.15 for example). The "web" connection works great from the desktop.

I downloaded the remote app (there were two of them on Google Play store) to my Samsung Galaxy S3 (4.3 version). Both apps fail to see the device. I tried entering the ip address and I get a failed message (The IP address is invalid. Please check the IP address) message from the Marantz remote app. The AVR-Remote app does not find the receiver at all.

Spent couple of hours searching the web, but no luck. Tried what Marantz suggests (network on in standby, turn off firmware update notification, etc.), i turned off the device, tried DHCP on, etc etc. At this time, I have hit the wall. It will be really nice to have the app working...

Can someone please help me? The receiver's web access is working since I can connect to it from a computer that is wired. From my laptop (wifi connected), I cannot find the receiver's ip address (even ping fails). I cannot find much info on the interwebs on this issue. I also tried to see if there is a newer firmware update, but the receiver says it has the latest. Perhaps there is a setting on the router that I am missing? Wifi Multimedia is enabled, BTW.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
-A
inthemarket is offline  
post #732 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Senior Member
 
RDHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
^^

You might want to look at the IP address assigned to your Android device.

It looks as if both your laptop and android device are on a different Zlan segment thsn your zzz Computer and AVR.

How is your WiFi router connected to your wired LAN?

Do you have Internet access from your lap top?

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
RDHolmes is offline  
post #733 of 2867 Old 12-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
lulimet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I checked my settings and my receiver settings have the DHCP on and Proxy OFF. There should only be one marantz avr app. The other app is for the Marantz Consolette which is a different product.
I have heard that the Denon app will work with Marantz receivers. Give it a try.
lulimet is online now  
post #734 of 2867 Old 12-02-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Stevetd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemarket View Post

Can someone help me with the Marantz remote app please?

My receiver is hard wired (network cable running from a port on the wifi router from basement to the receiver). I set up the receiver DHCP "off" and was able to connect from my desktop (wired to internet) to the receiver (http://192.168.1.15 for example). The "web" connection works great from the desktop.

I downloaded the remote app (there were two of them on Google Play store) to my Samsung Galaxy S3 (4.3 version). Both apps fail to see the device. I tried entering the ip address and I get a failed message (The IP address is invalid. Please check the IP address) message from the Marantz remote app. The AVR-Remote app does not find the receiver at all.

Spent couple of hours searching the web, but no luck. Tried what Marantz suggests (network on in standby, turn off firmware update notification, etc.), i turned off the device, tried DHCP on, etc etc. At this time, I have hit the wall. It will be really nice to have the app working...

Can someone please help me? The receiver's web access is working since I can connect to it from a computer that is wired. From my laptop (wifi connected), I cannot find the receiver's ip address (even ping fails). I cannot find much info on the interwebs on this issue. I also tried to see if there is a newer firmware update, but the receiver says it has the latest. Perhaps there is a setting on the router that I am missing? Wifi Multimedia is enabled, BTW.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
-A

Make sure that IP Control is set to Always On.

Steve
Stevetd is offline  
post #735 of 2867 Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Member
 
stereoforsale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Making the LARGE/SMALL and crossover adjustments do not effect the Audyssey EQ nor disable Audyssey as these settings are made by the AVR and not Audyssey. Only using the DIRECT, PURE DIRECT, or multi analog EXT IN jacks will disable Audyssey.

Ok, great, just to clarify:

1) I first need to go into the Manual Settings and change the FL & FR from "large" to "small", AND THEN rerun Audy?

2) Audy should NOT change the FL & FR back to "large", correct?

3) After running Audy, I can then go back into the Manual Settings and adjust the crossover if so desired?

4) if I do #3, should I expect the crossover settings in Audy to change to show the same crossover point? If not, how do I know which crossover point is being followed (i.e. the Audy crossover or the manually adjusted crossover)?
stereoforsale is offline  
post #736 of 2867 Old 12-02-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoforsale View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Making the LARGE/SMALL and crossover adjustments do not effect the Audyssey EQ nor disable Audyssey as these settings are made by the AVR and not Audyssey. Only using the DIRECT, PURE DIRECT, or multi analog EXT IN jacks will disable Audyssey.

Ok, great, just to clarify:

1) I first need to go into the Manual Settings and change the FL & FR from "large" to "small", AND THEN rerun Audy?
No, you need to make that change after you've run Audyssey.
Quote:
2) Audy should NOT change the FL & FR back to "large", correct?
It's a subtle distinction, but Audyssey doesn't make the Large/Small decision. It's made by separate code provided by the receiver's manufacturer after Audyssey has reported the lowest calibrated frequency for the speaker.
Quote:

3) After running Audy, I can then go back into the Manual Settings and adjust the crossover if so desired?
Right, but only raise it, don't lower it.
Quote:

4) if I do #3, should I expect the crossover settings in Audy to change to show the same crossover point? If not, how do I know which crossover point is being followed (i.e. the Audy crossover or the manually adjusted crossover)?
The value doesn't change on the "Audyssey" information page when you change it manually. That change is shown only among the manual settings.

If you haven't already, please take the time to read through the Audyssey 101/FAQ information at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#post_21782993
It includes detailed answers for these questions and many others.

Selden
Selden Ball is offline  
post #737 of 2867 Old 12-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Member
 
stereoforsale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

No, you need to make that change after you've run Audyssey.
It's a subtle distinction, but Audyssey doesn't make the Large/Small decision. It's made by separate code provided by the receiver's manufacturer after Audyssey has reported the lowest calibrated frequency for the speaker.
Right, but only raise it, don't lower it.
The value doesn't change on the "Audyssey" information page when you change it manually. That change is shown only among the manual settings.

If you haven't already, please take the time to read through the Audyssey 101/FAQ information at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#post_21782993
It includes detailed answers for these questions and many others.

Great! I've already done that, so I should be good to go. Ok, so no worries that Audy still shows "Full Range"?
stereoforsale is offline  
post #738 of 2867 Old 12-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Newbie
 
inthemarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

^^

You might want to look at the IP address assigned to your Android device.

It looks as if both your laptop and android device are on a different Zlan segment thsn your zzz Computer and AVR.

How is your WiFi router connected to your wired LAN?

Do you have Internet access from your lap top?

RDHomes,

Thanks for the reply. IP address on my android device when viewed from the router's web page ("Attached devices") is 192.168.1.xx. AVR's is set to be static at "192.168.1.15".
What do you mean by Zlan segment? How can I check that? You may be on to something here.

This is how the set up currently is. Wire from outside the house -> cable modem -> Netgear wifi router -> each wire connecting Desktop, AVR & BlueRay player. Phone and laptop are connected via wifi and can access the internet without any issues.

Cheers,
-A
inthemarket is offline  
post #739 of 2867 Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Newbie
 
inthemarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

I checked my settings and my receiver settings have the DHCP on and Proxy OFF. There should only be one marantz avr app. The other app is for the Marantz Consolette which is a different product.
I have heard that the Denon app will work with Marantz receivers. Give it a try.

Thanks, Lulimet. I tried with DHCP both on and off. Proxy is off as well. No worky. Reinstalled the app few times, restart my phone, unplugged the AVR, etc etc. I tried on the D&M "Marantz Remote App" and also another one called "AVR-Remote" with good ratings. No luck.

I will try the Denon Remote app tonight.

You think my wifi router is preventing the devices from talking to each other?

Cheers,
-A
inthemarket is offline  
post #740 of 2867 Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Newbie
 
inthemarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

Make sure that IP Control is set to Always On.

Thanks Stevetd. IP Control is set to always ON. Double checked that again...
inthemarket is offline  
post #741 of 2867 Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
RDHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemarket View Post

RDHomes,

Thanks for the reply. IP address on my android device when viewed from the router's web page ("Attached devices") is 192.168.1.xx. AVR's is set to be static at "192.168.1.15".
What do you mean by Zlan segment? How can I check that? You may be on to something here.

This is how the set up currently is. Wire from outside the house -> cable modem -> Netgear wifi router -> each wire connecting Desktop, AVR & BlueRay player. Phone and laptop are connected via wifi and can access the internet without any issues.

Cheers,
-A

Sorry, typo, should have been LAN Segment. If the first there numbers of the IP Address are the same then they are on the same segment. In your case they are the same so that is not the problem

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
RDHolmes is offline  
post #742 of 2867 Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Member
 
stereoforsale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

If you haven't already, please take the time to read through the Audyssey 101/FAQ information at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#post_21782993
It includes detailed answers for these questions and many others.

The link you provided doesn't seem to tell the whole story for the sr7008.

The link you provided says:
"... if you set your main speakers to Large, you are bypassing the bass Management in your AVR and sending no sound at all (apart from the .1 Low Frequency Effects channel) to your sub"

However, JDS said (a bit earlier in this thread):
"When the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE, the crossover is only taken into account if the sub is set to LFE+MAIN and in that instance, the FL/FR speakers would get the full range signal as well as the lower frequencies below the crossover (whether 40Hz or 60Hz) being passed to the sub (aka "double bass").

So if the sub is set to "LFE + Main" then it will get a signal even if the main speaker are set to Large (and I'm assuming not just the LFE). But, so long as the main speakers are set to Large, the crossover affects the sub's top-end, but it does not affect the L&R speakers' low-end since they will receive the full signal. There is "double bass" for all frequencies below the crossover that the main speakers are capable of playing (I think).

But what happens if the sub is set to "LFE + Main" and the main speakers are set to Small? My guess (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that now the L&R speakers will NOT receive the full range signal, and the crossover (which can be manually adjusted) will now apply to BOTH the sub's top-end AND the main speakers' low end... which is what most people expect a crossover setting to do!

In other words, if the sub is set to "LFE + Main", and
(a) the main speakers are set to LARGE, then the crossover only affects the sub;
(b) the main speakers are set to SMALL, then the crossover affects both the sub and the main speakers

Talk about user-friendly! wink.gif

EDIT
I took a look at the manual, and it says something different than both quotes above. It sounds like so long as you have the sub set to "LFE + Main" the crossover will work as expected even if your main speaker are set to Large, and there is no mention of a "double bass" effect... but I'd ask JDS to confirm if this is correct or an oversight in the manual.

page 197:
• “Crossovers” can be set when the “Subwoofer Mode” setting is “LFE+Main”, or when you have a speaker that is set to “Small”.
...
• For speakers set to “Small”, low frequency content below the crossover frequency is attenuated to the speakers and the low bass content is then re-delivered to the subwoofer, or the front (L/R) speakers if they have been set to Large. [note: no mention what happens for speakers set to Large]
• The speakers that can be set when “Individual” is selected differ depending on to the “Subwoofer Mode” setting.
• When “LFE” is selected, speakers set to “Small” at “Speaker Config.” can be set. If the speakers are set to “Large”, “Full Band” is displayed and the setting cannot be made.
• When “LFE+Main” is selected, speakers can be set regardless of the “Speaker Config.” setting.

Page198:
Subwoofer Mode
Select low range signals to be reproduced by subwoofer.
LFE (Default) : The low range signal of the channel set to “Small” speaker size is added to the LFE signal output from the subwoofer.
LFE+Main : The low range signal of all channels is added to the LFE signal output from the subwoofer. This is usually the best setting for most systems. [note: no mention of a double bass effect if speaker set to Large]
...
• If “Front” and “Center” for “Speaker Config.” are set to “Large”, and “Subwoofer Mode” is set to “LFE”, no sound may be output from the subwoofers, depending on the input signal or selected sound mode. Select “LFE+Main” if you want the bass signals to always be produced from the subwoofer. [note: so the quote from the Audy thread is incorrect]
stereoforsale is offline  
post #743 of 2867 Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,661
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
^^
Each of the quotes are correct that you provided to include the Audyssey Guide, mine, and the manual. You're apparently reading to much into what is being said. Setting the sub to LFE+MAIN is not recommended and therefore not discussed in depth in the Audyssey guide. Also note that when the FL/FR speakers are set to SMALL, the sub setting has no impact as the lower frequencies below the crossover are passed to the sub with either setting.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #744 of 2867 Old 12-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Newbie
 
inthemarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I solved my connectivity issue between my AVR and the Remote App.

"Enable Wireless Isolation" was turned on in the router settings. Once I turned it off... it found the AVR and my set top box (Hopper with sling).
The app is not the greatest, but it works good! I like it!

Woot!!

Cheers,
-A
inthemarket is offline  
post #745 of 2867 Old 12-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Member
 
stereoforsale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Each of the quotes are correct that you provided to include the Audyssey Guide, mine, and the manual. You're apparently reading to much into what is being said. Setting the sub to LFE+MAIN is not recommended and therefore not discussed in depth in the Audyssey guide. Also note that when the FL/FR speakers are set to SMALL, the sub setting has no impact as the lower frequencies below the crossover are passed to the sub with either setting.

Ok great. Solution simple:

1) run Audyssey
2) regardless of what the Audyssey results show, manually set all speakers to small and adjust the crossover for each speaker as desired. These manual adjustments will not change the Audy results displayed on the screen, but rest assured the manual settings will take precedence and they will not disable MultiEQ, DynamicEQ and Dynamic Vol.
3) subwoofer setting is irrelevant provided that all speakers are set to Small.

Footnote:
a) if you set speakers to Large, and the sub to "LFE", the sub will only play the LFE (.1). Crossover is irrelevant.
b) if you set speakers to Large, and the sub to "LFE + MAIN", you get double bass for frequencies below the crossover.
stereoforsale is offline  
post #746 of 2867 Old 12-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Newbie
 
lgeist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

 

I've been trying to stream DSD files from my Oppo105 to my SR7008 via HDMI, but for some reason (operator error I'm sure) my SR7008 is converting the DSD to PCM. At least that is what I'm assuming  - the display on the receiver says "PCM" while the files are playing. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

 

Thanks,

 

LG

lgeist is offline  
post #747 of 2867 Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,661
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
^^
If the display reads PCM, then the Oppo is decoding the DSD to PCM.
lgeist likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #748 of 2867 Old 12-03-2013, 05:53 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,661
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoforsale View Post

Ok great. Solution simple:

1) run Audyssey
2) regardless of what the Audyssey results show, manually set all speakers to small and adjust the crossover for each speaker as desired. These manual adjustments will not change the Audy results displayed on the screen, but rest assured the manual settings will take precedence and they will not disable MultiEQ, DynamicEQ and Dynamic Vol.
3) subwoofer setting is irrelevant provided that all speakers are set to Small.

Footnote:
a) if you set speakers to Large, and the sub to "LFE", the sub will only play the LFE (.1). Crossover is irrelevant.
b) if you set speakers to Large, and the sub to "LFE + MAIN", you get double bass for frequencies below the crossover.

All correct, except the highlighted ... "as desired", as the crossovers should only be raised on not lowered (eg. raise them up to 80Hz).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #749 of 2867 Old 12-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Newbie
 
HyperBallad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello, all.

Read through the first few pages of this thread and decided to join the forum and the thread. I just ordered my first Marantz product, the SR6008. Wish I could have justified the SR7008 but that's a little out of my range right now. The SR6008 will be replacing my Harman/Kardon AVR 645 which is about 7 years old and lacks many of the HDMI functions, codecs, and video resolution I'd like to utilize these days.

My 5.1 speaker config consists of B&Ws 603 s3's in the front, 601 s3's in the rear, the LCR 600 s3 as the center, and an SVS PB1000 sub. I'm looking forward to finally being able to bi-amp my 603's with the SR6008.

 

I really have little idea what to expect. My HK has done an excellent job driving my speakers, and I'm nervous about this new digital amplification, and the fact that the 6008 weighs 20lbs lighter that the AVR 645. I'm excited about the upgrade in user friendliness regarding the OSD, being able to utilize 1080p on my TV, and Dolby Tru HD. After reading some posts in the thread, I can tell that if I have issues it will be with bi-amping, setting my crossovers, and getting my sub to play in stereo settings. That said, I'm looking forward to trying to figure it out myself first, and knowing this thread likely has the answers I need if I get stuck.

 

Cheers


Receiver: Marantz SR6008

Speakers 5.1 - Bowers & Wilkins 600 Series 3:  Fronts: 603 (Bi-Amped) | Center: LCR 600 | Rears: 601

Subwoofer: SVS PB-1000

HDMI Media Sources: PS3 Slim | Apple TV (music ripped at full res) | TWC

Monitor: Panasonic 55" 1080p 60hz plasma

HyperBallad is offline  
post #750 of 2867 Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
lulimet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The 6008 will have no problem driving your B&W speakers. The 6008 doesn't have digital amplification. Where did you see that?
lulimet is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread - Sr5008 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off