The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2721 Old 12-21-2013, 03:55 PM
gce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I've read all the posts in this thread because I want to upgrade my Yamaha RX-A810 to a SR7008. I have a Denon blu-ray and STB (at&t) hooked to the Yamaha via HDMI and HDMI from the Yamaha to the Panasonic VT30. I also have a NAS (Synology) streaming FLAC to the Yamaha thru my network. All this works great with no problems. No Sync or dropout problems like I had with my Onkyo. Will the SR7008 be able to do all this with no problems? Another words no handshake problems?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2721 Old 12-21-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 164
No issues, smooth as glass...

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #903 of 2721 Old 12-21-2013, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all

Hope you can help me with a few things. I just switched over from a denon to the 7008 and using the same speakers but added 2 for 7.1

I have this audible static noise coming from the front right and only slightly from the front left and nothing from the center and surrounds. It does it on all sources and it's really frustrating. Another item is that when I try to adjust the channel levels it won't play a test tone. Any ideas?

Also, I ran auddessy as a 7.1 but why is it when a play a movie on hbo it's coming through as 5.1 but not being output to 7.1? I thought whatever the multi channel input you had it would be output through all existing channels

Lastly, can you not use auddessy when using the marantzs airplay function ? It goes to set up when I try to access it in the menu

Many thanks
post #904 of 2721 Old 12-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkboy View Post

I've updated to the new firmware on my SR5008 and now my SiriusXM is not working. I can login but all I get are two options:"account info" and "sign out"... If I select "account info" it says it's all good, but there are no music channels whatsoever to select. Anyone else having this problem since the firmware update?

Please take my information with a grain of salt, as I'm an old time audio person, but just catch up on the latest technology when I go through major revisions in my system.

I have the SR5008 and after the recent update (not sure it's related), I couldn't get my Panasonic BluRay to play. I checked the HDMI connects and unplugged the receiver for a few seconds with no change to what was going on.

JDSmoothie advised that a soft reset requires unplugging the unit for at least 10 minutes, so I unplugged it for a bit more than 30 minutes, leaving the DVD player playing during that time. When I plugged the receiver back in, all was good. The DVD was again connected.

Hopefully, this might work for you as well.
post #905 of 2721 Old 12-21-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd start by swapping speaker cables (right front to surround back etc) and see if the noise follows the amp channel or stays with the speaker.

Press and hold "movie" on the oem remote during 5.1 playback and select an algorithm to engage 7.1 playback.

post #906 of 2721 Old 12-21-2013, 07:08 PM

Really starting to hate this 5008 already........

Had dynamic volume set to compensate for loud commercials & all of a sudden something has changed itself & can not even select the dynamic volume to change the setting as another setting is overriding it & has turned it off.

Have no idea what has changed & how to correct it, i hate headaches.....

post #907 of 2721 Old 12-21-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post

I'd start by swapping speaker cables (right front to surround back etc) and see if the noise follows the amp channel or stays with the speaker.

Press and hold "movie" on the oem remote during 5.1 playback and select an algorithm to engage 7.1 playback.

Thanks Tom

But I don't see how switching cables is going to tell me anything. I mean I have sound without static from the surrounds and center it's just the front right and a very small amount from the front left. Previous set up with the denon had no issues and I just have a funny feeling it is the unit itself but maybe I'm missing something?

It's weird that the test tone doesn't work and every time I change the channel I can hear the unit click like an amp being engaged.
post #908 of 2721 Old 12-21-2013, 09:23 PM

Just bought the SR5008.  Can't figure out how to calibrate my 4 subs, every time i play the test tones so I can measure with my SPL meter it doesn't play them at a set volume like my old AVR, My last receiver used to set them at 75 db's, what volume do I play these tones at? and where do I start the Level Trim at, 0 db's then up the volume to 75? 

post #909 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 04:46 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
^^
The test tones used for the Audyssey setup are at 75db, however, the individual speaker/sub test tones are based on the master volume so doesn't really matter what volume you have it at as long as each sub is at the same level at that volume. Then when you run Audyssey, they will collectively be set based on the 75db test tone. Keep in mind that although there are two sub pre-outs, the AVR only sees the total input as if only one sub was connected.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #910 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin22 View Post

Thanks Tom

But I don't see how switching cables is going to tell me anything. I mean I have sound without static from the surrounds and center it's just the front right and a very small amount from the front left. Previous set up with the denon had no issues and I just have a funny feeling it is the unit itself but maybe I'm missing something?

It's weird that the test tone doesn't work and every time I change the channel I can hear the unit click like an amp being engaged.

Switch the front speakers and the surround speakers and see if the noise shows up in the surround channels. Is the noise present on all sources? Don't guess, test. Does it get louder when you add gain? Play some content and hit pause, adjust the volume up and down. Does the noise get louder as volume is increased?

post #911 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 07:05 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The test tones used for the Audyssey setup are at 75db, however, the individual speaker/sub test tones are based on the master volume so doesn't really matter what volume you have it at as long as each sub is at the same level at that volume. Then when you run Audyssey, they will collectively be set based on the 75db test tone. Keep in mind that although there are two sub pre-outs, the AVR only sees the total input as if only one sub was connected.

Does that mean when using 2 subs they can't be setup as LR stereo?

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #912 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Quote:

^^

Does that mean when using 2 subs they can't be setup as LR stereo?

What do you mean by LR stereo?

Subwoofers usually are used only for the lowest two audible octaves, those frequencies below 80 Hz.

Bass frequencies below about 80 Hz can't be localized. I.e. the vast majority of people cannot determine what direction those sounds are coming from. (People can tell the directions of the higher frequency resonances, but they aren't produced by the subwoofers.) As a result, the subwoofers and the frequencies they produce don't contribute to stereo audio imaging.

However, those frequencies do tend to interact with the room, since most listening rooms have dimensions corresponding to the wavelengths of specific bass frequencies, resulting in standing waves with peaks and nulls at particular locations in the room. Where you put the subwoofers can be used to optimize the locations of the standing waves, either to keep them away from the primary listening position or to have one subwoofer fill in the nulls produced by the other one. As a result, the calibration procedure has to hear the sounds produced with both subwoofers active simultaneously.

Edited to add:
This is an overly simplified description, and subwoofers do produce some output at higher frequencies, but their contribution there isn't significant.

Selden
post #913 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post

Switch the front speakers and the surround speakers and see if the noise shows up in the surround channels. Is the noise present on all sources? Don't guess, test. Does it get louder when you add gain? Play some content and hit pause, adjust the volume up and down. Does the noise get louder as volume is increased?

thanks again

it did it on multiple sources and after listening closer i do hear it a little through the left surround. i reset the processor a few times and when i run through the original set up with Auddessy its there. As far as volume I don't think it increased with it but cant be sure
I lost my patience with it so I hooked up my Denon and there is no static so I'm just going to send it back
post #914 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater32 View Post

Really starting to hate this 5008 already........
Had dynamic volume set to compensate for loud commercials & all of a sudden something has changed itself & can not even select the dynamic volume to change the setting as another setting is overriding it & has turned it off.
Have no idea what has changed & how to correct it, i hate headaches.....

Have you done a reset to defaults and rerun Audyssey? It's annoying, but that's what I'd do.

post #915 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

Have you done a reset to defaults and rerun Audyssey? It's annoying, but that's what I'd do.

Think im good but not certain at this point. Unplugged the unit for 10minutes & went back in, my audy. settings were still there & was able to highlight & function dynamic volume again.

I like my idea better of returning it & getting an Onkyo.... ya im just frustrated!

Seen lots of other threads where people feel Marantz is relly dialed for music & doenst stand-out & shine for movie watching...

post #916 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

Think im good but not certain at this point. Unplugged the unit for 10minutes & went back in, my audy. settings were still there & was able to highlight & function dynamic volume again.
I like my idea better of returning it & getting an Onkyo.... ya im just frustrated!
Seen lots of other threads where people feel Marantz is relly dialed for music & doenst stand-out & shine for movie watching...

Sorry, but that last is just "placebo". People hear what they want to hear. Any electronics differences in the equipment in this price range are so subtle that we really are unable to hear them. That's somewhat glib, but speakers and room acoustics dominate our audio experience, which is why room EQ like Audyssey can be so important.

And no company's manufacturing process is perfect. Some defective units always manage to sneak through even the most stringent quality control procedures. frown.gif

Selden
post #917 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 AM
gce

Quote:

I've read this above a couple of times in this thread and what to ask those who have the SR7008 dialed in, what do you think about the Movie experience? I'm like 50/50 with Music and Movies and would think the SR7008 would be good at HT as well as Music?
post #918 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 10:01 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Subwoofers usually are used only for the lowest two audible octaves, those frequencies below 80 Hz.

Bass frequencies below about 80 Hz can't be localized. I.e. the vast majority of people cannot determine what direction those sounds are coming from. (People can tell the directions of the higher frequency resonances, but they aren't produced by the subwoofers.) As a result, the subwoofers and the frequencies they produce don't contribute to stereo audio imaging.

However, those frequencies do tend to interact with the room, since most listening rooms have dimensions corresponding to the wavelengths of specific bass frequencies, resulting in standing waves with peaks and nulls at particular locations in the room. Where you put the subwoofers can be used to optimize the locations of the standing waves, either to keep them away from the primary listening position or to have one subwoofer fill in the nulls produced by the other one. As a result, the calibration procedure has to hear the sounds produced with both subwoofers active simultaneously.

Edited to add:
This is an overly simplified description, and subwoofers do produce some output at higher frequencies, but their contribution there isn't significant.

My subwoofers are built in to my L&R towers and my crossover is set to 120Hz. Didn't know if this would result in "stereo" bass or not. Like you said though, probably can't localize left or right bass sounds even in my setup. Just wondering if makes a difference or not if there is a choice for how the 2 subs are setup.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #919 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Edited to add:

My subwoofers are built in to my L&R towers and my crossover is set to 120Hz. Didn't know if this would result in "stereo" bass or not. Like you said though, probably can't localize left or right bass sounds even in my setup. Just wondering if makes a difference or not if there is a choice for how the 2 subs are setup.

If you want to use them that way, just hook the subs to the sub outputs of the receiver and disconnect them completely from the higher-frequency drivers in the speaker. Don't be upset when the receiver chooses a high crossover frequency for the main speakers. After all, they won't have any woofers any more. Connecting the subwoofers separately lets Audyssey use its separate subwoofer equalization channel which has a higher resolution than the main speaker EQ channels.

Quite a few people prefer to configure these types of speakers (ones with builtin subwoofers) just like the more common full-range passive speakers and add a completely separate subwoofer which can be placed at a better location in the room to get the best low-frequency response.

Selden
post #920 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The 7008 is great with music and OK with HT. IMHO .
post #921 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

Care to elaborate?
post #922 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Anyone have an idea why my subwoofer suddenly would stop working? I replaced the subwoofer because I was within the return policy. Reconnected it, doesn't work, tried a new RCA cable, still doesn't work. Ran the audessy set up again, nothing... frown.gif

Edit: Or why just my subwoofer 1 doesn't work?
post #923 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

LMAO

post #924 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 05:13 PM
gce

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Care to elaborate?

...and you also drewTT, you have a SR7008 too. What do you think? I would think with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and the dac's this thing would dial HT in better then most AVR's?
post #925 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok.
post #926 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by gce View Post

...and you also drewTT, you have a SR7008 too. What do you think? I would think with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and the dac's this thing would dial HT in better then most AVR's?

I think it is a very good receiver. Fantastic sound quality. Audyssey does an excellent job dialing in my pretty terrible room.
post #927 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 05:24 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGTR420 View Post

Anyone have an idea why my subwoofer suddenly would stop working? I replaced the subwoofer because I was within the return policy. Reconnected it, doesn't work, tried a new RCA cable, still doesn't work. Ran the audessy set up again, nothing... frown.gif

Edit: Or why just my subwoofer 1 doesn't work?

Is it plugged in and turned on?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #928 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Is it plugged in and turned on?

Yes it is, I plugged it in to Subwoofer 2, and it plays just fine now, but the second I unplug it, and put it in to Subwoofer 1, it doesn't work. Its just weird that over a week my Subwoofer 1 stopped working.
post #929 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 06:07 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGTR420 View Post

Yes it is, I plugged it in to Subwoofer 2, and it plays just fine now, but the second I unplug it, and put it in to Subwoofer 1, it doesn't work. Its just weird that over a week my Subwoofer 1 stopped working.

Have you checked in the setup to make sure that you have it set for 2 subwoofers?
post #930 of 2721 Old 12-22-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:

2. As long as the HDD is formatted properly ... shouldn't be an issue.

The HDD has definitely been formatted correctly, that's what's frustrating. I can connect the external HDD to my laptop, and move files back and forth, create new folders, play music or movies off of it, etc. When I connect the HDD to my Oppo BDP-103, it can also read and play .flac audio and .mkv movie files with no issues at all.

It's just the Marantz that seems to be unable to browse beyond showing me "Volume 1." (Which is not the name of any folder on the drive.)

Right now my "fix" is to go external HDD --> Oppo (via USB) --> Marantz (via HDMI), but I'd like to cut out the "middle man," so to speak.

Thanks for all the assistance, JD.

Panasonic 50ST60 | Oppo BDP-103 | Marantz SR5008 | KEF KHT-3005 | BlueJeansCable
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page