The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 3238 Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 521
dryasanne,

DynEQ offset should be 0 for the loudest explosions wink.gif

10 or 15 is usually recommended for music, since CDs aren't recorded with the same standards as movie audio.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3238 Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post

With 2 SV subwoofers, set the front and center speakers to small and crossover @ 80.

Thats my next problem. I have one:

SVS PC12-NSD DSP

and one

SVS PB12-NSD DSP

Have a hard time figuring out how to place them in my oddd living room ....
post #1083 of 3238 Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

Thats my next problem. I have one:

SVS PC12-NSD DSP

and one

SVS PB12-NSD DSP

Have a hard time figuring out how to place them in my oddd living room ....

Hi,

I have SR6008 and am interested did I understood you correctly - you have 2 x 400W SVS subs and have put your PSB floorstanders on "Large"?

if that is correct you are not using you subs almost at all..

Like already proposed, you should put your fronts and center on "small" with cx freq @80Hz.

Did you already tried that?

post #1084 of 3238 Old 01-05-2014, 11:28 AM

Done that just now, PSB T6 on small, center ditto. 80 hz cross.

Fired up my Pana 500 bluray, now watching Iron Man 2 bluray.

So now we will see if there is any improvements :-)
post #1085 of 3238 Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 AM

You should probably run Audyssey again if you changed those setting or maybe change gain on subs, but I expect that even without that your movies should sound much better... ;)

post #1086 of 3238 Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 PM

Oh no, no more adjustments :-)

Just finished the Iron Man 2 with new settings

Just mesmering, never heard my Maranntz sound that good!!
Tom Grooms likes this.
post #1087 of 3238 Old 01-05-2014, 02:49 PM

;))

post #1088 of 3238 Old 01-05-2014, 03:59 PM

MESMERIZING....
Love that word, totally right for the Iron man experience tonite. Very hard to get that word right, I often see US translators use the form mesmerising, there should be an Z in there, right ??
post #1089 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 AM

Forgive me if this is a repetitive question, but I have a 7.1 setup and have no need for any additional zones, and don't plan on adding any more channels in the near future, so are the other 2 amps wasted or can they dynamically shuffle the power around as needed.

I'm looking to get the most wattage possible, as consistently as possible, to each speaker, and if having an additional 2 amps doesn't help me achieve that, is it worth the extra investment over the x4000?
post #1090 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 02:39 AM

Hi guys,
Just joined us and I'm after some advice and information. My son decided my marantz sr7200 needed a bath on new years day so looking for a replacement. I do have a limited budget and don't think I will be able to afford somethingthat will perform as well as my old beauty. I have narrowed it down to either an x2000 or sr5008. If my budget allows I may look at the x3000 or 6008. Would love a 7008 but that's just not going to happen now I have 4 kids. What would you guys recommend? The receiver will be running Polk LS70 mains, Paradigm C370 center and Athena satellites with my home built 12 inch Boston sub.

Also what is the media player like in there receivers? I currently have a media center that plays anything and everything, would be nice if I could just connect my hard drive straight to the new receiver though.

Cheers.
post #1091 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 12:10 PM

What volume level do you usually use? I have an sr5008 paired with a set of B&W 683 speakers.

I have to set it over 70. Anything below that is not clearly audible. From 70 to 85 the increase in volume is constant. I have not pushed it higher because I am afraid that there is something wrong with either the speakers or the avr. I ran audio setup. I am running hdmi platinum plus monster cable from PS3. I am currently running solid 12awg wires to the speakers.

From 0 to 60 the volume increment is not linear.
post #1092 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

MESMERIZING....
Love that word, totally right for the Iron man experience tonite. Very hard to get that word right, I often see US translators use the form mesmerising, there should be an Z in there, right ??
Nope, it's spelled with an S. It comes from the name of the German physician who was one of the first people to investigate "animal magnetism", now called hypnosis. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Mesmer

Edited to add: if you mean the -ism vs izm suffix, the difference is between the spellings used in U.S. English and British English. They have quite a few differences -- color vs colour, for example.

Selden

post #1093 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiomaster2014 View Post

What volume level do you usually use? I have an sr5008 paired with a set of B&W 683 speakers.

I have to set it over 70. Anything below that is not clearly audible. From 70 to 85 the increase in volume is constant. I have not pushed it higher because I am afraid that there is something wrong with either the speakers or the avr. I ran audio setup. I am running hdmi platinum plus monster cable from PS3. I am currently running solid 12awg wires to the speakers.

From 0 to 60 the volume increment is not linear.

Modern receiver volume controls are entirely logarithmic, not linear like in the olden days. After Audyssey calibration, 80 = movie reference sound level, which is extremely loud, with 105dB peaks. Most people tend to listen at levels slightly above 60. If you haven't run the Audyssey calibration in the receiver, there's no way to compare settings, since they depend on the efficiency of your speakers and the distance you sit from them.

Selden

post #1094 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynaki View Post

Hi guys,
Just joined us and I'm after some advice and information. My son decided my marantz sr7200 needed a bath on new years day so looking for a replacement. I do have a limited budget and don't think I will be able to afford somethingthat will perform as well as my old beauty. I have narrowed it down to either an x2000 or sr5008. If my budget allows I may look at the x3000 or 6008. Would love a 7008 but that's just not going to happen now I have 4 kids. What would you guys recommend? The receiver will be running Polk LS70 mains, Paradigm C370 center and Athena satellites with my home built 12 inch Boston sub.
After Audyssey calibration, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference among the receivers you mention. They all use Audyssey XT to equalize the sounds of your speakers in your room. (The x4000 and 7008 use the next grade up, XT32.) Other than that, you need to carefully compare their features to see which one best matches your needs.
Quote:
Also what is the media player like in there receivers? I currently have a media center that plays anything and everything, would be nice if I could just connect my hard drive straight to the new receiver though.
As media servers, receivers only provide access to server audio files and to pictures using DLNA and to some internet audio streaming sources like Pandora. They do not support streaming video.
To stream video, you need a video player, like a Blu-ray disc player, Roku, or a direct HDMI connection to a computer.

Selden

post #1095 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Modern receiver volume controls are entirely logarithmic, not linear like in the olden days. After Audyssey calibration, 80 = movie reference sound level, which is extremely loud, with 105dB peaks. Most people tend to listen at levels slightly above 60. If you haven't run the Audyssey calibration in the receiver, there's no way to compare settings, since they depend on the efficiency of your speakers and the distance you sit from them.
Thank you for your reply. I ran the Audyssey calibration. As you mentioned anything above 79-80 is loud( not in a bad way. Actually it brings the speakers to live)

So for low volumes, would bi-amping help?
post #1096 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 01:11 PM

Hey guys...
I just bought an sr7007, and I'm somewhat underwhelmed with its performance. Not bad, but its missing something. I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there any real difference between the 7007 and the 7008? I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the 7008, and if I would hear the difference. I realize the Audyssey is improved, but anything else? Is the amplification the same? What else? I'm going nuts with this hair splitting. Thanks.
post #1097 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiomaster2014 View Post

Quote:

Thank you for your reply. I ran the Audyssey calibration. As you mentioned anything above 79-80 is loud( not in a bad way. Actually it brings the speakers to live)

So for low volumes, would bi-amping help?
Not really. It primarily helps (but only a little) when you can use an external amp and want to play a lot louder. In the vast majority of cases, it makes no audible difference at low levels. In some cases, where (poorly designed) amps use Class A amplification at their lowest levels and Class A/B at their higher sound levels (above a few Watts), keeping them in the Class A region might help the midrange and tweeter drivers sound a little better. In most cases, though, the relative distortion levels in amps are somewhat higher (but still inaudible) at the lowest power levels, become less as the power increases to ~50% of max, then gradually increase until it starts rapidly increasing when using more than ~75% of max. (This is a broad generalization from looking at a lot of amp distortion level measurements of Class A/B amps in various magazines. Individual amps differ from this.)

Bear in mind that both your receiver (or receiver+amps) and your speakers have to have the appropriate wattage ratings if you want to turn the volume up really high. You can damage speakers (usually their tweeters) when running them too loud, or if your amps are clipping. Harman/Crown provides a calculator which can help to decide what amp and speaker ratings are appropriate. See http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm

Selden

post #1098 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial View Post

Hey guys...
I just bought an sr7007, and I'm somewhat underwhelmed with its performance. Not bad, but its missing something. I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there any real difference between the 7007 and the 7008? I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the 7008, and if I would hear the difference. I realize the Audyssey is improved, but anything else? Is the amplification the same? What else? I'm going nuts with this hair splitting. Thanks.

The major improvement is in Audyssey, and many people like the resulting sound better than what's provided by the lesser grades of Audyssey.

Exactly what do you find "underwhelming" about the sound?

Many people have gotten used to "boomy" bass caused by sitting at locations where there are low frequency standing wave peaks in their rooms. When Audyssey reduces those peaks to make the sound more accurate, the results can be disappointing.

However, do check to make sure that Audyssey's subwoofer levels aren't pegged at -12dB. If they are, the subwoofer isn't calibrated properly and might not be turning on at all. Turn down the volume (gain) control knob that's on the subwoofer itself and recalibrate.

This and other issues are covered in the Audyssey 101/FAQ at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#post_21782993
Its length is rather intimidating, but its advice can help a lot to get the best sound. The instructions in the receiver's owner's manual are woefully inadequate.

Selden

post #1099 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:

After Audyssey calibration, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference among the receivers you mention. They all use Audyssey XT to equalize the sounds of your speakers in your room. (The x4000 and 7008 use the next grade up, XT32.) Other than that, you need to carefully compare their features to see which one best matches your needs.
As media servers, receivers only provide access to server audio files and to pictures using DLNA and to some internet audio streaming sources like Pandora. They do not support streaming video.
To stream video, you need a video player, like a Blu-ray disc player, Roku, or a direct HDMI connection to a computer.

Thanks. I did think that would be the case. Will keep using my media center and I'm pretty sure my final decision will be based on price.
post #1100 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 02:13 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamd123 View Post

Forgive me if this is a repetitive question, but I have a 7.1 setup and have no need for any additional zones, and don't plan on adding any more channels in the near future, so are the other 2 amps wasted or can they dynamically shuffle the power around as needed.

I'm looking to get the most wattage possible, as consistently as possible, to each speaker, and if having an additional 2 amps doesn't help me achieve that, is it worth the extra investment over the x4000?

The real question is: what is the RMS wattage with all 7 channels driven of the SR7008 vs X4000 at the same amount ohms and THD? Sadly these stats can be hard to find, as manufactures don't always publish this info. Some reviewers do report these figures (see Sound & Vision's review of the SR7008). But there are some other things to keep in mind:

1) more power does not necessarily mean better sound. Many people prefer the sound of Marantz over Denon, regardless of wattage... it's a personal choice.

2) not using the 8th and 9th amps of the sr7008 will certainly free up more power for the other 7 channels.

3) but more power does not necessarily mean an audible increase in volume (if that is your goal). In order to increase the volume by only 3db (which is barely noticebale) you need to literally DOUBLE the amount of power. And to significantly increase the volume, you need to increase the power literally TEN times. So for example, the jump from 10W to 100W is indeed significant, but the jump from 100W to 200W isn't really that much.

My "GUESS" at the end of the day is the Marantz will have more power with 7 channels driven vs. the Denon, but the difference will not be very noticeable. If cost is your main concern, then x4000 is the choice for you. But if you want better sound, and maybe (?) a bit more power (just for the hell of it) then the Marantz is the way to go.

EDIT:
I should also add: unless you have high quality speakers, the difference in sound quality between the marantz and denon might not be noticeable anyway. And if you goal is to play LOUD, then it's more important to have speakers with a high sensitivity.
adamd123 likes this.
post #1101 of 3238 Old 01-06-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:

The major improvement is in Audyssey, and many people like the resulting sound better than what's provided by the lesser grades of Audyssey.

Exactly what do you find "underwhelming" about the sound?

Many people have gotten used to "boomy" bass caused by sitting at locations where there are low frequency standing wave peaks in their rooms. When Audyssey reduces those peaks to make the sound more accurate, the results can be disappointing.

However, do check to make sure that Audyssey's subwoofer levels aren't pegged at -12dB. If they are, the subwoofer isn't calibrated properly and might not be turning on at all. Turn down the volume (gain) control knob that's on the subwoofer itself and recalibrate.

This and other issues are covered in the Audyssey 101/FAQ at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#post_21782993
Its length is rather intimidating, but its advice can help a lot to get the best sound. The instructions in the receiver's owner's manual are woefully inadequate.

Underwhelming in the transparency and treble response that I'm hearing from my speakers. The soundstage is pretty good. Its also better than I thought with home theater, but not so much in two channel. Would you get the 7008, or there isn't much difference?
post #1102 of 3238 Old 01-07-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I would not expect there to be any audible difference between the X4000 and the SR7008 after running Audyssey. Denon and Marantz equipment do have different analog output circuit designs. Some people claim to be able to hear differences between the two brands when running in Direct mode or with multichannel analog audio inputs, but I don't know how significant the differences are. I haven't made that comparison myself.

If you can get a loaner for comparison, then you could decide for yourself. Most resellers have a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy, so that might be a possibility.

Selden

post #1103 of 3238 Old 01-07-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:

I would not expect there to be any audible difference between the X4000 and the SR7008 after running Audyssey. Denon and Marantz equipment do have different analog output circuit designs. Some people claim to be able to hear differences between the two brands when running in Direct mode or with multichannel analog audio inputs, but I don't know how significant the differences are. I haven't made that comparison myself.

If you can get a loaner for comparison, then you could decide for yourself. Most resellers have a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy, so that might be a possibility.

Actually I wasn't comparing the x4000, I don't have much interest in it and don't know anything about it. I was having an internal debate about whether to step up from the 7007 to the 7008, and wondering if there would be an audible difference. Do you know if the basic architecture of the amps, pre/pro are the same? Would it be a waste of money to get the 7008?
post #1104 of 3238 Old 01-07-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Not really. It primarily helps (but only a little) when you can use an external amp and want to play a lot louder. In the vast majority of cases, it makes no audible difference at low levels. In some cases, where (poorly designed) amps use Class A amplification at their lowest levels and Class A/B at their higher sound levels (above a few Watts), keeping them in the Class A region might help the midrange and tweeter drivers sound a little better. In most cases, though, the relative distortion levels in amps are somewhat higher (but still inaudible) at the lowest power levels, become less as the power increases to ~50% of max, then gradually increase until it starts rapidly increasing when using more than ~75% of max. (This is a broad generalization from looking at a lot of amp distortion level measurements of Class A/B amps in various magazines. Individual amps differ from this.)

Bear in mind that both your receiver (or receiver+amps) and your speakers have to have the appropriate wattage ratings if you want to turn the volume up really high. You can damage speakers (usually their tweeters) when running them too loud, or if your amps are clipping. Harman/Crown provides a calculator which can help to decide what amp and speaker ratings are appropriate. See http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm

I tried the bi-amp feature and recalibrated. The low volume did not chane but above 60 there was more detail. The bass strings were very clean and the whole listening experience improved. I also added dmax to medium.

I am still not 100% happy with the voice clarityin music but I think it it due to the speakers. The speker setup i liked was 1500$ more and it would have probably required more power to drive. Still was not able to try above 79 as it was "too laud" need to try during the day time....
post #1105 of 3238 Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

The 7007 is last year's model, so it should be available for a good discount. This year's models are the 5008, 6008 and 7008. The 5008, 6008 and 7007 all have Audyssey XT. Since the 7008 has Audyssey XT32, it should sound better than the others.

Only you can decide if the difference is worth the extra money. Is there any chance you can get loaners so you can hear the difference in your own home? In the U.S. often retailers will let you return a device within 30 days for a full refund or replacement.

Selden

post #1106 of 3238 Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:

The 7007 is last year's model, so it should be available for a good discount. This year's models are the 5008, 6008 and 7008. The 5008, 6008 and 7007 all have Audyssey XT. Since the 7008 has Audyssey XT32, it should sound better than the others.

Only you can decide if the difference is worth the extra money. Is there any chance you can get loaners so you can hear the difference in your own home? In the U.S. often retailers will let you return a device within 30 days for a full refund or replacement.

I don't think I can get a loaner unfortunately. But if the only real difference is in the room correction, and the amps and other vital components are the same, then I think I'm ok. I have the velodyne sms-1 subwoofer room EQ that I've never even used, so I can EQ my sub better than what the xt32 could do anyway. I would imagine that with the XT room correction and the velodyne for the lows, it would equal or better what XT32 can do. The only thing is the sms is not very user friendly, and you have to really roll up your sleeves and get into it for the best results. Thats probably why I've never used it before.
post #1107 of 3238 Old 01-07-2014, 02:15 PM

Does anyone know if the preamp outputs on the Marantz SR5008, SR6008, SR7008 and Denon AVR-X4000 are -10 or +4?

I'm undecided about which unit to get yet but they will be connected via the preamp outs to some Crown Drivecore XLS1500 which have an input sensitivity 1.4 Vrms - essentially +4. I have a XLS1500 for subs and fronts on each side, no other speakers will exist in the system, ever... :)

D/A output:
Rated output — 2 V (at 0 dB playback)
Total harmonic distortion — 0.008 % (1 kHz, at 0 dB)
S/N ratio — 102 dB
Dynamic range — 100 dB

In the SR7008 and AVR-X4000 manual it states:

D/A output:
        Rated output — 2 V (at 0 dB playback)

I assume from this they are saying at 0db digital the output at the preamp outputs is 2Vrms??? - however it's not really clear as to what they are saying here... Also, these figures don't mention in either the SR5008 or SR6008 specifications.

post #1108 of 3238 Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial View Post

I don't think I can get a loaner unfortunately. But if the only real difference is in the room correction, and the amps and other vital components are the same, then I think I'm ok. I have the velodyne sms-1 subwoofer room EQ that I've never even used, so I can EQ my sub better than what the xt32 could do anyway. I would imagine that with the XT room correction and the velodyne for the lows, it would equal or better what XT32 can do. The only thing is the sms is not very user friendly, and you have to really roll up your sleeves and get into it for the best results. Thats probably why I've never used it before.

Not likely ....no.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1109 of 3238 Old 01-07-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Not likely ....no.

......Because? The set up is as detailed as I've ever seen...
post #1110 of 3238 Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 1782
Use of the SMS-1 might provide some benefit to the low end, but XT32 is much better than XT overall. Note though that you want to run the SMS-1 first before running Audyssey. Bottom line is that if the 7008 is within your budget, a much better upgrade than the 7007.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page