The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 3238 Old 02-04-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 521
rodneyiii,

You don't mention what the crossover frequency settings are for your speakers. Your symptoms suggest that its quite a bit lower for the center channel than for the other speakers. If that's so, you should consider raising the center channel's crossover to at least 80 Hz.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 3238 Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiorgio View Post

Correct me if i am wrong, but ARC is via HDMI, not optical.

I apologize for not making myself clear. I thought that my issues stemmed from the HDMI ARC and decided to just go with an optical cable but, I'm still having the same issues. It works for a while (after a reset) and then starts just sending audio through the TV. No amount of button pushing or settings changes makes a difference.

Steve
post #1353 of 3238 Old 02-04-2014, 07:12 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyiii View Post

I have a question about this subject. It may be something jdsmoothie can help with. I have my 7008 unit with a 5.1 matched system and a large set of front mains that I use for the "B" speakers. When I have all speakers enabled, the receiver is shifting some of the low bass from the front mains to the center channel thus dropping off some of the bass drum punch, etc. If I disable the center spkr in the Setup, the front main bass comes back. I can easily tell what is going on by doing the same thing Deadbydawn71 was doing - power down the sub so it doesn't cover up what the front mains are doing.

I have the center spkr set as "small" so it shouldn't be asking for low bass information from the source signal. However, the bass reduction still happens when the center spkr is enabled. I have 15" woofers and 12" rear mounted passive radiators in the front main speakers for a reason. I don't want them held back by weird signal processing. My older Yamaha A/V receiver didn't exhibit this behavior. It pushed full band audio to the front mains and let them thump. Please help me figure out what is happening and if there is a way to cure the problem.

Thanks.

I'm unsure as to what it is you're asking to resolve??? What surround mode are you using? Generally the AVR isn't going to "shift some of the lower bass from the front mains to the center channel", rather the center speaker only gets the center channel signal. If you want your FL/FR speakers to be full range, then set them to LARGE.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST daily
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1354 of 3238 Old 02-04-2014, 07:20 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

I apologize for not making myself clear. I thought that my issues stemmed from the HDMI ARC and decided to just go with an optical cable but, I'm still having the same issues. It works for a while (after a reset) and then starts just sending audio through the TV. No amount of button pushing or settings changes makes a difference.

When trying to pass audio via the optical cable, do you have VieraLink disabled and HDMI Control on the AVR disabled as well? Are you using the optical input default source name of "TV Audio" or have you assigned it to another source name?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #1355 of 3238 Old 02-05-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

rodneyiii,

You don't mention what the crossover frequency settings are for your speakers. Your symptoms suggest that its quite a bit lower for the center channel than for the other speakers. If that's so, you should consider raising the center channel's crossover to at least 80 Hz.
The Center channel is set at 80 Hz, the Large mains are set at 40 Hz. I should clarify that the "A" front speakers are small but are set as large to work through this issue. My large speakers are connected to the "B" output but there aren't any menu options to adjust the "B" speakers.
post #1356 of 3238 Old 02-05-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

I'm unsure as to what it is you're asking to resolve??? What surround mode are you using? Generally the AVR isn't going to "shift some of the lower bass from the front mains to the center channel", rather the center speaker only gets the center channel signal. If you want your FL/FR speakers to be full range, then set them to LARGE.
I am using the straight MUSIC Dolby Digital surround mode and listening to a DVD concert encoded in Dolby 5.1. I am with you in the idea that the low bass shouldn't be shifting to the center channel. However, that is what is happening and is what is so confusing. I have the front spkrs set to Large. The same phenomenon happens using a Coax digital stereo signal from my CD player. I have the surround mode set to Multi-channel stereo and the same bass reduction happens when I enable the Center channel.

I originally bought a Yamaha RX-A1020 to replace my 10 year old Yamaha RX-V2300. The V2300 didn't have this issue however I was feeding it with an optical digital audio signal rather than HDMI. The A1020 I tried was very bad and obvious with the bass shift when the Ctr spkr was enabled. I got the SR7008 and it works better with less bass shift but it still takes some of the grunt away from the large mains when I engage the Ctr spkr. This goes against what we all know shouldn't happen. Try my test for yourself by powering down the subwoofer so you can hear better what is coming from the front mains when you disable/enable the Ctr speaker. You need audio with some good punchy, heavy metal bass drums and guitars. Let me know what you think. The Yamaha A1020 was super obvious but the SR7008 is less obvious but it still happens.

I've been dealing with and servicing A/V equipment since I was 15 (I'm 51 now). Things change with time - no more Loudness buttons, no Rumble filters, etc. I didn't know if, with the predominance of subwoofers, that audio processing has also changed over the years to let the subs do more of the low bass work. One other thing I can double check is that I didn't reverse the center channel polarity while wiring everything back up. That would be bad.
post #1357 of 3238 Old 02-05-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

rodneyiii,

The Center channel is set at 80 Hz, the Large mains are set at 40 Hz.

In that case, I have no explanation for why the center would sound like it's getting lower bass frequencies, unless you're somehow being mislead by higher harmonics. Do you have access to any spectrum analysis equipment to find out exactly what's happening? E.g. REW or OmniMic?

Selden

post #1358 of 3238 Old 02-05-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

When trying to pass audio via the optical cable, do you have VieraLink disabled and HDMI Control on the AVR disabled as well? Are you using the optical input default source name of "TV Audio" or have you assigned it to another source name?

Thanks JD. I'll check those again first chance I get.

Steve
post #1359 of 3238 Old 02-05-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

SR5008 HDMI Control Question...

I have HDMI Control set up between the monitor and the SR5008 so that when I turn on or off the monitor it appropriately turns on or off the SR5008.

Here's the problem... When I turn on or off the SR5008 it does not appropriately turn on or off the monitor.  I thought it was supposed to.  Is it not?  And if it is supposed what are some possible solutions?

Thanks in advance.

post #1360 of 3238 Old 02-05-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

The CEC part of the HDMI standard is poorly defined. As a result, different manufacturers' implementations usually don't interoperate very well, as you have found. Your combination of equipment actually is working unusually well. More often the receiver will turn on but won't turn off.

Many people get around these problems by using a smart, programmable remote controller. Logitech's Harmony series is quite popular.

Another option you might want to consider is getting a smart power strip. When the device plugged into the control outlet is turned off, power is removed from all of the devices plugged into the controlled outlets.

Selden

post #1361 of 3238 Old 02-05-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:

In that case, I have no explanation for why the center would sound like it's getting lower bass frequencies, unless you're somehow being mislead by higher harmonics. Do you have access to any spectrum analysis equipment to find out exactly what's happening? E.g. REW or OmniMic?
Maybe my explanation was confusing. The center channel isn't getting lower freq's than the mains, it is that the mains bass response is simply being reduced when the center channel is enabled. It's like everything in the front mains below 60-80 Hz is being muted by 3dB.
post #1362 of 3238 Old 02-06-2014, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe my explanation was confusing. The center channel isn't getting lower freq's than the mains, it is that the mains bass response is simply being reduced when the center channel is enabled. It's like everything in the front mains below 60-80 Hz is being muted by 3dB.

Is there any chance that this difference is between Audyssey enabled and Audyssey disabled?

I would expect Audyssey to boost output in the lowest frequency ranges above the crossover frequency, just above the speakers' f3 point. Supposedly Audyssey does no EQ below the f3 point, so output would fall off rapidly below that frequency. With Audyssey disabled, thus not boosting those frequencies, output would be starting to fall off more at higher frequencies above ghe f3 point.

Or I could be completely confused.

Selden

post #1363 of 3238 Old 02-06-2014, 04:37 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

If you haven't already, try doing the microprocessor reset (p. 241 OM).

post #1364 of 3238 Old 02-06-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I am using the straight MUSIC Dolby Digital surround mode and listening to a DVD concert encoded in Dolby 5.1. I am with you in the idea that the low bass shouldn't be shifting to the center channel. However, that is what is happening and is what is so confusing. I have the front spkrs set to Large. The same phenomenon happens using a Coax digital stereo signal from my CD player. I have the surround mode set to Multi-channel stereo and the same bass reduction happens when I enable the Center channel.

I originally bought a Yamaha RX-A1020 to replace my 10 year old Yamaha RX-V2300. The V2300 didn't have this issue however I was feeding it with an optical digital audio signal rather than HDMI. The A1020 I tried was very bad and obvious with the bass shift when the Ctr spkr was enabled. I got the SR7008 and it works better with less bass shift but it still takes some of the grunt away from the large mains when I engage the Ctr spkr. This goes against what we all know shouldn't happen. Try my test for yourself by powering down the subwoofer so you can hear better what is coming from the front mains when you disable/enable the Ctr speaker. You need audio with some good punchy, heavy metal bass drums and guitars. Let me know what you think. The Yamaha A1020 was super obvious but the SR7008 is less obvious but it still happens.

I've been dealing with and servicing A/V equipment since I was 15 (I'm 51 now). Things change with time - no more Loudness buttons, no Rumble filters, etc. I didn't know if, with the predominance of subwoofers, that audio processing has also changed over the years to let the subs do more of the low bass work. One other thing I can double check is that I didn't reverse the center channel polarity while wiring everything back up. That would be bad.

The fact that the newer Yamaha had the same issue as you are seeing with the Marantz tells me it is either a problem in the newer DD implementations, or a flaw in the mode you are choosing. Have you tried just putting it in automatic mode and letting it play as encoded on the disc without selecting any special modes on the receiver?
post #1365 of 3238 Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Is there any chance that this difference is between Audyssey enabled and Audyssey disabled?

I would expect Audyssey to boost output in the lowest frequency ranges above the crossover frequency, just above the speakers' f3 point. Supposedly Audyssey does no EQ below the f3 point, so output would fall off rapidly below that frequency. With Audyssey disabled, thus not boosting those frequencies, output would be starting to fall off more at higher frequencies above ghe f3 point.
Audyssey does increase the bass response when enabled but the overall bass reduction happens regardless of the Audyssey mode when the center channel is enabled.
post #1366 of 3238 Old 02-06-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:

If you haven't already, try doing the microprocessor reset (p. 241 OM).
I did that with the Yamaha A1020 after lots of fiddling and before I decided to go with another brand. It made no difference. The SR7008, in its virgin state, was better than the A1020 but it still has a minor bass reduction effect to the front mains when the center ch is enabled.
post #1367 of 3238 Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post

The fact that the newer Yamaha had the same issue as you are seeing with the Marantz tells me it is either a problem in the newer DD implementations, or a flaw in the mode you are choosing. Have you tried just putting it in automatic mode and letting it play as encoded on the disc without selecting any special modes on the receiver?
I have been keeping the surround mode set at "Straight" or "Direct" so the system is doing a clean Dolby or DTS decode without adding any Concert Hall or Cellar effects. I'm wondering if my Blu-ray player is processing the HDMI audio differently than the optical audio. The older Yamaha didn't have HDMI so it was being fed the digital audio via the optical cable. Maybe I'll try sending the SR7008 the optical audio signal to see how it reacts.

Thanks guys for your replies so far.
post #1368 of 3238 Old 02-06-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolson05 View Post

SR5008 HDMI Control Question...

I have HDMI Control set up between the monitor and the SR5008 so that when I turn on or off the monitor it appropriately turns on or off the SR5008.

Here's the problem... When I turn on or off the SR5008 it does not appropriately turn on or off the monitor.  I thought it was supposed to.  Is it not?  And if it is supposed what are some possible solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

The CEC part of the HDMI standard is poorly defined. As a result, different manufacturers' implementations usually don't interoperate very well, as you have found. Your combination of equipment actually is working unusually well. More often the receiver will turn on but won't turn off.

Many people get around these problems by using a smart, programmable remote controller. Logitech's Harmony series is quite popular.

Another option you might want to consider is getting a smart power strip. When the device plugged into the control outlet is turned off, power is removed from all of the devices plugged into the controlled outlets.

Thank you for the Harmony suggestion, I understand a lot of people use this device and like it but I would prefer to refrain from adding more devices to the mix.

So far everything (MacMini, AppleTV, SR5008) are controlled by the iPhone. The Phono, PS3 and Kuro (monitor) are not controlled via the iPhone but once I figure out this HDMI Control issue I'll get the Kuro to turn on and off with the SR5008 from a touch of a button on the iPhone. I'm getting into this home automation thing. iPhone controls my light bulbs, light switches, thermostat, smoke/Co2 detectors, door locks, garage door, etc...

Back to the home theater set up... I have no ambition to get the phono controlled by the iPhone but the PS3 on the other hand would be awesome. There's no hope for the 1st Gen. PS3 but iPhone control with the PS4 on the other hand might happen.  I'll work on that later, but for now I need the monitor to turn on and off with the SR5008.

I'm gonna start my triage with the thought that the issue is with the monitor and I'll research that on my own. But since I have the attention of all of you in this forum topic let's suppose the issue is with the SR5008; what could be the problem there? Am I missing a setting on the SR5008? I thought I went over everything but am open to the idea that I could have skipped or misunderstood something.  Or like Seldan Ball stated, maybe everything is set up properly but it just doesn't work from poorly defined standards.

Thanks in advance!

post #1369 of 3238 Old 02-06-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Another possibility to consider might be a "smart power strip" controlled by your iPhone.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smart-power-strip-8/id762186923?mt=8

Selden

post #1370 of 3238 Old 02-06-2014, 02:57 PM

Sorry. Duplicate post. Remove please.
post #1371 of 3238 Old 02-06-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Another possibility to consider might be a "smart power strip" controlled by your iPhone.

Good suggestion. However... I may be incorrect but I believe my monitor would only go into standby mode after I sent the command from my iPhone to turn on the smart power strip that the monitor is powered up by. This would require my finger on the monitor's power button or the monitor's remote to turn it on. Thus placing me in the same position I am already in. Currently, I'm having to walk to the monitor and turn it on by hand. I put the monitor remote away as in the past when the pooch was just a wee-pup; she has mistaken remotes as her chew toy. I don't mind the exercise of getting off the couch but I'm shooting for "cool factor" here. : )

I do not mean to sound ungrateful for the suggestions, I truly do appreciate them. And I'm sure someone reading these posts in the future might find your suggestions an option they will put in to action. But really I'm focused on getting the Kuro monitor to react properly from a HDMI Control command via the SR5008 and potentially in the future the PS4, if I purchase one.

Thank you for the input and I look forward to more.

post #1372 of 3238 Old 02-06-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately, my suspicion is that "you can't get there from here", and that fighting with CEC isn't going to accomplish anything useful. frown.gif

Exactly what model is your Kuro? Some include RS232 connections for use with whole-house control systems. There are RS232-to-Ethernet interfaces which might be usable from your iPhone. I have no experience with them, though.

Selden

post #1373 of 3238 Old 02-06-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolson05 View Post

Thank you for the Harmony suggestion, I understand a lot of people use this device and like it but I would prefer to refrain from adding more devices to the mix.

So far everything (MacMini, AppleTV, SR5008) are controlled by the iPhone. The Phono, PS3 and Kuro (monitor) are not controlled via the iPhone but once I figure out this HDMI Control issue I'll get the Kuro to turn on and off with the SR5008 from a touch of a button on the iPhone.
I'm getting into this home automation thing. iPhone controls my light bulbs, light switches, thermostat, smoke/Co2 detectors, door locks, garage door, etc...

Back to the home theater set up... I have no ambition to get the phono controlled by the iPhone but the PS3 on the other hand would be awesome. There's no hope for the 1st Gen. PS3 but iPhone control with the PS4 on the other hand might happen.  I'll work on that later, but for now I need the monitor to turn on and off with the SR5008.

I'm gonna start my triage with the thought that the issue is with the monitor and I'll research that on my own. But since I have the attention of all of you in this forum topic let's suppose the issue is with the SR5008; what could be the problem there? Am I missing a setting on the SR5008? I thought I went over everything but am open to the idea that I could have skipped or misunderstood something.  Or like Seldan Ball stated, maybe everything is set up properly but it just doesn't work from poorly defined standards.

Thanks in advance!

jolson05,

Have you considered Roomie remote? It's centered around iOS (iPhone/iPad) with room automation and device control for the home theater. Website is here: http://www.roomieremote.com/features/

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1374 of 3238 Old 02-07-2014, 11:14 AM

Is anyone else having trouble finding the SR7008 in stock? I've ordered mine on January 15th and it is still apparently B/O. I'm buying from an official local Canadian reseller and they keep getting told by their Denon rep. that they still do not have a firm ETA for stock. I'm not sure where the holdup is (Sherpa Group, D&M) but it's getting annoying.
post #1375 of 3238 Old 02-07-2014, 03:14 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The SR7008 is in short supply at the moment with more due in mid February.

post #1376 of 3238 Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Short supply because great unit for the price. Mine was supposed to be here today but FEDEX pushed back till Monday

7.2 with Thiel Power Points, twin Seaton Submersive F2's in Espresso. Krell Showcase Amp, Marantz Pre-Pro, Richard Grey Power, Control 4 Home Automation, lots of Blue Jean Cables, Oppo 103D, Sony DVD 777 400 Disc Changer and Samsung Plasma 64" 8500 all in a Salamander Synergy 247 in Walnut.
post #1377 of 3238 Old 02-08-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've my Sr7008 for almost 3 months now since I upgraded the outdated 5.1 system.
I mainly use the 7008 for movies ,occasionally music and cable contents.
All devices are connected as per manufacture suggested by HDMI cables and the receiver been playing flawlessly and has no other issues, not like other users the problems they posted in this forum.

Interestingly, I notice recently there're few enquires about 7008 capability to playback 11 channels and mostly the reply is to use Dennon 4520 with external amp or pair the 7008 with av8801 processor to achieve the 11.2 playback.
As I know the 7008 can only output 9 channels even with 11 channels speakers set-up which I currently use. For the movies with 7.1 track, it's astounding when play with SBL/R and FWL/R or FHL/R .

The front stage will come to live if I only use FW and FH when SB is not in use. However with SB source cut off that make me hear something is missing in the action movies like flying objects from back to front.

Such that, I contemplate to upgrade the 7008 to full 11 channels output by forgoing the AVR SBL/R and use an external amp to drive the oppo-103 analog SB pre out for the rear surround back speakers to make up the lost signals.

Question : is this method for 11 channels achievable without the external processor or will there be any hand shake issues may occur ? As I can conf. the SB output from the oppo-103 and control the volume with the remote.

Any experts advice will be appreciated.
post #1378 of 3238 Old 02-08-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Interesting, how are you planning to wire that up? With only 8 analog outputs on the OPPO and no processing available on the 7008 analog multi channel inputs, you'll only have digital into the 7008 and analog in to a separate amp. If you could level match I bet you'd still have a timing issue. Good question though, makes us think...

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #1379 of 3238 Old 02-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I finally have a 5.1 system again so today I ran Audyssey for the first time and the result don't really make sense to me.
It set my front speakers and rear speakers as large and my center as small with the crossover at 40 Hz. This doesn't make sense because the center only goes down to 61 Hz according to the manufacturer's specs. Also why would my rear bookshelf speakers with a single 5 and 1/4" woofer and rated at 57 Hz be set as large? rolleyes.gif
The center speaker has dual 6 and 1/2" woofer yet it is seen as small. Any idea what is happening here?
post #1380 of 3238 Old 02-08-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

I finally have a 5.1 system again so today I ran Audyssey for the first time and the result don't really make sense to me.
It set my front speakers and rear speakers as large and my center as small with the crossover at 40 Hz. This doesn't make sense because the center only goes down to 61 Hz according to the manufacturer's specs. Also why would my rear bookshelf speakers with a single 5 and 1/4" woofer and rated at 57 Hz be set as large? rolleyes.gif
The center speaker has dual 6 and 1/2" woofer yet it is seen as small. Any idea what is happening here?

Audyssey will set your speakers to large when you have solid bass response down to a certain HZ.
This can be due to room gain and perhaps boundary gain. ( close to a wall or in a corner)

Please ignore these setting and set all your speakers to SMALL! Set your crossovers to 80hz.
(I am assuming you have a sub).

Audyssey recently did exactly the same thing to me with my small bookshelf speakers. Rated at 60hz
Set to 40hz and large.eek.gif Reset to small and 80hz.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page