The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1621 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
wase4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
kind of a weird thing going on for me with an sr6008..
Its able to see my local pc, my wife's local pc, and our NAS box. I am running windows 8.1, my wife is on windows 7.
the 6008 will see music on my computer, and it sees the music on my wife's computer, and sees the music "directory" on the nas box, (WD Sentinel D4000)

However, when I try to play the music on my computer, it shows all of the folders as "empty", even though there are files in there.
When I try to play to music on my NAS box, I cant even access the "Music" directory; the menu just freezes in "Music"

But, it sees my wife's music with no problem, and plays all of it, just as expected...

Any suggestions on what I can try to either get it to play music off the NAS or my computer?

thanks!
wase4711 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1622 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Member
 
chulo_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey everyone,

Just noticed something wonky going on with my HDMI passthrough on the SR6008. My default passthrough is set to cable/sat. If I am on another input such as bluray or media and I turn off the SR6008, it will pass the cable/sat video but no the audio. I have to turn the receiver back on to the cable/sat setting and then turn off the receiver to get audio to pass. I'm not sure then this started happening, but I know that it hasn't always happened. I am on the latest firmware as well. Anyone else experience this? Is this a ARC handshake issue?
chulo_d is offline  
post #1623 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Member
 
walshcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased the SR5008 and was wondering how the 2nd zone worked? I have 2 speakers on my outside patio and I read that you would basically use the back surrounds to power the 2nd zone audio, but my question would be can this be done without swapping out cables? And if not, what receiver would I need to be able to do this?
walshcm is offline  
post #1624 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshcm View Post

I purchased the SR5008 and was wondering how the 2nd zone worked? I have 2 speakers on my outside patio and I read that you would basically use the back surrounds to power the 2nd zone audio, but my question would be can this be done without swapping out cables? And if not, what receiver would I need to be able to do this?

Not sure what exactly you mean. If you are only using 5.1 speakers in your main zone
And are not bi-amping you can run the patio speaker's wire into the surround back terminals
And you are good to go. Go into the menu system and configure the
Back surround terminals to power the zone 2. No swapping of cables
(Your sources?) is needed.

Then, for example, if the family is watching a 5.1 dvd in the main
Zone you can turn on the FM tuner and listen to it outside.

Edit- my Marantz is an older model than yours and will not pass
A digital sources (HDMI,co-ax,optical) to zone 2....analog only.
So my work around was this...(as an example) if you have your
DVD player hooked up via HDMI into the Marantz then you would
Need to also hook-up the analog (red/white RCA cables) into
The dvd analog input. I also did the for my cable box. A one time
Pain but worth it. Maybe your Marantz won't have this issue.
grasshoppers is online now  
post #1625 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Member
 
walshcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to setup a 7.2 system, but if for example I want to hear music outside, I want to be able to do so without swapping any cables around.
walshcm is offline  
post #1626 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshcm View Post

I want to setup a 7.2 system, but if for example I want to hear music outside, I want to be able to do so without swapping any cables around.

Then you need to buy an external power amp to run the outdoor speakers.
Also your model Marantz DOES NOT support digital audio out to zone 2.

Something like this

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394394339&sr=1-16&keywords=Home-2channel+amplifier
grasshoppers is online now  
post #1627 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Grooms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Villages, Fl
Posts: 2,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 169
You don't necessarily need another amp unless you need 7.1 and 2 outside at the same time. You can quickly go to amp assign and swap from surround back to zone 2 output. Or buy an SR7008 with 9 channels wink.gif

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
Tom Grooms is offline  
post #1628 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 03:47 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 47,190
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulo_d View Post

Hey everyone,

Just noticed something wonky going on with my HDMI passthrough on the SR6008. My default passthrough is set to cable/sat. If I am on another input such as bluray or media and I turn off the SR6008, it will pass the cable/sat video but no the audio. I have to turn the receiver back on to the cable/sat setting and then turn off the receiver to get audio to pass. I'm not sure then this started happening, but I know that it hasn't always happened. I am on the latest firmware as well. Anyone else experience this? Is this a ARC handshake issue?

This will occur with some cable boxes that are set to pass Dolby Digital when the TV can only accept stereo PCM 2.0. Therefore you must set the cable box to Stereo only. A CenturyLink box will require this but a DirecTV box will not, as it will downmix the Dolby Digital 5.1 to 2.0 and pass it to the TV without issue.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1629 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Member
 
chulo_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

This will occur with some cable boxes that are set to pass Dolby Digital when the TV can only accept stereo PCM 2.0. Therefore you must set the cable box to Stereo only. A CenturyLink box will require this but a DirecTV box will not, as it will downmix the Dolby Digital 5.1 to 2.0 and pass it to the TV without issue.

Thanks for the reply. I have DirecTV (Genie), and I put the sound to PCM and it still does not properly pass audio if coming from another input. I have to make sure the 6008 is in cbl/sat mode before I turn it off otherwise no audio passes.
chulo_d is offline  
post #1630 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 03:55 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 47,190
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshcm View Post

I want to setup a 7.2 system, but if for example I want to hear music outside, I want to be able to do so without swapping any cables around.

The 5008 only has 7 sets of speaker posts, so then if you want a 7.1 setup in the main zone, you would need an external amp connected to the Zone 2 pre-outs as grasshoppers suggested. The 6008 adds 2 more sets of speaker posts, but these are for the Front Wide/Height channels so you would have to add the 2CH amp with the 6008 as well. It's only with the 7008 that you would be able to use the on board amps to power the 7.1 setup and the Zone 2 speakrs without external amplification as Tom has suggested. Much more cost effective to use the 5008 + 2CH external amp.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1631 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 03:57 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 47,190
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulo_d View Post

Thanks for the reply. I have DirecTV (Genie), and I put the sound to PCM and it still does not properly pass audio if coming from another input. I have to make sure the 6008 is in cbl/sat mode before I turn it off otherwise no audio passes.

HDMI handshaking can be finicky at times. You may be better served with a Harmony remote that can handle the correct power on/off sequence.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1632 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Member
 
chulo_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

HDMI handshaking can be finicky at times. You may be better served with a Harmony remote that can handle the correct power on/off sequence.

I figure it is a handshake issue. I'm going to do a microprocessor reset later on and see if that fixes it. On a side note, I use the Harmony One as my main remote and I have a URC MX-880 that I am still need to tweak to get delays and some inputs set correctly.
chulo_d is offline  
post #1633 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Member
 
walshcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The 5008 only has 7 sets of speaker posts, so then if you want a 7.1 setup in the main zone, you would need an external amp connected to the Zone 2 pre-outs as grasshoppers suggested. The 6008 adds 2 more sets of speaker posts, but these are for the Front Wide/Height channels so you would have to add the 2CH amp with the 6008 as well. It's only with the 7008 that you would be able to use the on board amps to power the 7.1 setup and the Zone 2 speakrs without external amplification as Tom has suggested. Much more cost effective to use the 5008 + 2CH external amp.

Thanks for the help. So will this be the case with all 7.2 receivers to where I would need either an amp or I will need to swap cables?

So would the sr7008 be worth it for the money? I plan on driving a monitor audio silver 6 speakers with silver surrounds. Would the extra power be useful? And lastly how good is XT 32? I hear good things, but I have a dedicated theatre room that is 18x14 so would I gain anything with it?
walshcm is offline  
post #1634 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 04:47 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 47,190
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
Various brands will handle it different, eg. Onkyo AVRs with dedicated Zone 2 speaker posts will shift from 7.1 to 5.1 when you want to use powered Zone 2 by the AVR. Not sure what the "dedicated home theater" remark means as most any room would benefit from room EQ. At over 2x the cost of the 5008, the 7008 would only be worth it if its in your budget and you can take advantage of the additional features in addition to the benefit of the more advanced EQ from XT32.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #1635 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Member
 
walshcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That was just me guessing with the x32. I figured the true benefit would be room's more difficult to eq. Like a large living area with attached space and uneven speaker placement. I can make the budget for the 7008, just hoped the additional power and XT 32 would be worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Various brands will handle it different, eg. Onkyo AVRs with dedicated Zone 2 speaker posts will shift from 7.1 to 5.1 when you want to use powered Zone 2 by the AVR. Not sure what the "dedicated home theater" remark means as most any room would benefit from room EQ. At over 2x the cost of the 5008, the 7008 would only be worth it if its in your budget and you can take advantage of the additional features in addition to the benefit of the more advanced EQ from XT32.
walshcm is offline  
post #1636 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Member
 
ProUnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I purchased my SR7008 about two months ago from @jdsmoothieAVScience More then just getting a great deal..I am really enjoying this AVR XT32 is awesome IMHO..My system sounds so much better Music and Movies. This coming from a Denon 3802...


AVR Marantz  SR7008

Mains Paradigm  Monitor11 S7 

Center Paradigm Studio CC-590v5

Suround Polk RM2300

Sub Rythmik FV15HP

LED Samsung UN55F8000

ProUnion is offline  
post #1637 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshcm View Post

That was just me guessing with the x32. I figured the true benefit would be room's more difficult to eq. Like a large living area with attached space and uneven speaker placement. I can make the budget for the 7008, just hoped the additional power and XT 32 would be worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Various brands will handle it different, eg. Onkyo AVRs with dedicated Zone 2 speaker posts will shift from 7.1 to 5.1 when you want to use powered Zone 2 by the AVR. Not sure what the "dedicated home theater" remark means as most any room would benefit from room EQ. At over 2x the cost of the 5008, the 7008 would only be worth it if its in your budget and you can take advantage of the additional features in addition to the benefit of the more advanced EQ from XT32.

XT-32 is pretty good. You can read a lot more about it on the Audyssey thread. As for power, that is a tough one. I have seen a bench test on the 7008, but not on the 5008. For two channels, there shouldn't be any difference at all, and probably not for five channels either. But if you are thinking seven channels in a fairly good-sized room, perhaps there may be a slight power (ie. headroom) difference between the two receivers at a high volume level. As additional channels are added, the rated power drops-off well below the two-channel specs, although not as sharply as it did with older models, such as the 7002. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to give you a better answer, but I suspect a lot will depend on the efficiency of your speakers and how loudly you like to listen. If you can afford to upgrade...
mthomas47 is offline  
post #1638 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Member
 
walshcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

XT-32 is pretty good. You can read a lot more about it on the Audyssey thread. As for power, that is a tough one. I have seen a bench test on the 7008, but not on the 5008. For two channels, there shouldn't be any difference at all, and probably not for five channels either. But if you are thinking seven channels in a fairly good-sized room, perhaps there may be a slight power (ie. headroom) difference between the two receivers at a high volume level. As additional channels are added, the rated power drops-off well below the two-channel specs, although not as sharply as it did with older models, such as the 7002. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to give you a better answer, but I suspect a lot will depend on the efficiency of your speakers and how loudly you like to listen. If you can afford to upgrade...

I sometimes listen to music loud if I have had too much to drink. biggrin.gif But for listening to surround for movies I would want it loud, but obviously nothing just stupid loud. Not to mention I don't think my room is really big enough to warrant too much as it is 18x14x10, so only around 2400 cubic feet. But again this is all just me guessing and some of the research I have done the last week. I am new to all of this, and have not owned any sort of tower speakers my entire life. I have lived in apartments for the last 10 years at least, and thought those would be a terrible idea, especially after 2am.

Is there any additional features that I could benefit from with the 7008? I read a few, but I don't necessarily understand all of them. Also, would the Martanz be characterized as slightly warm? I keep reading this randomly here and there. The two speakers I have narrowed it down to are Monitor Audio Silver 6, and GoldenEar Seven's.
walshcm is offline  
post #1639 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You will get different opinions on whether there are sonic differences among solid state amplifiers. Most Marantz owners who post on the subject, and most reviews I have read, characterize the Marantz receivers as very musical and I have seen the term "warm" used. I have had several Marantz receivers and I would probably use a similar term to describe them. I am really not familiar with either of those speakers. Perhaps someone else on the thread is. But I took a quick look at reviews of the two speakers you mentioned and the Golden Ear Sevens looked pretty good for most of the sort of music I would like. The reviewer certainly seemed enthusiastic: http://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker-reviews/goldenear-technology-triton-seven-review/

Of course, you would still need a good sub (or two, rolleyes.gif since you mentioned 7.2).
Deadbydawn71 likes this.
mthomas47 is offline  
post #1640 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Member
 
walshcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

You will get different opinions on whether there are sonic differences among solid state amplifiers. Most Marantz owners who post on the subject, and most reviews I have read, characterize the Marantz receivers as very musical and I have seen the term "warm" used. I have had several Marantz receivers and I would probably use a similar term to describe them. I am really not familiar with either of those speakers. Perhaps someone else on the thread is. But I took a quick look at reviews of the two speakers you mentioned and the Golden Ear Sevens looked pretty good for most of the sort of music I would like. The reviewer certainly seemed enthusiastic: http://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker-reviews/goldenear-technology-triton-seven-review/

Of course, you would still need a good sub (or two, rolleyes.gif since you mentioned 7.2).

Yeah the sevens reviews have almost been too good. I found about 5 or 6 reviews from different websites and they all seemed to gush all over them. At the same time I have found nothing on the silver 6 but it may be because they are too new. But the prior version the RX6 was highly regarded.

I liked the RX8, and although it's a different speaker then the 6, I am guessing the sound will be close. I will try and get a listen tomorrow. I am leaning towards the MA as I like the pricing and the options for the 4 surrounds a little better.
walshcm is offline  
post #1641 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

That is actually the level of the AVR's test tone, as movie reference range is 85db-105db/115db LFE; however, because 85db is way too loud for a home environment, AVR mfr's use 75db for the test tone.

jd,

I was confused over this and your post clarified things.

So test tones are at 75dB when carrying out Audyssey measurements.

After completing the measurements, when using the dB scale the value of 0dB on the Main Volume is movie reference of 85dB to 105dB/115dB LFE. There is 20dB of available headroom.

Maranatz SR-7009(on order), Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
steveting99 is online now  
post #1642 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Member
 
chulo_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulo_d View Post

I figure it is a handshake issue. I'm going to do a microprocessor reset later on and see if that fixes it. On a side note, I use the Harmony One as my main remote and I have a URC MX-880 that I am still need to tweak to get delays and some inputs set correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulo_d View Post

I figure it is a handshake issue. I'm going to do a microprocessor reset later on and see if that fixes it. On a side note, I use the Harmony One as my main remote and I have a URC MX-880 that I am still need to tweak to get delays and some inputs set correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulo_d View Post

I figure it is a handshake issue. I'm going to do a microprocessor reset later on and see if that fixes it. On a side note, I use the Harmony One as my main remote and I have a URC MX-880 that I am still need to tweak to get delays and some inputs set correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

This will occur with some cable boxes that are set to pass Dolby Digital when the TV can only accept stereo PCM 2.0. Therefore you must set the cable box to Stereo only. A CenturyLink box will require this but a DirecTV box will not, as it will downmix the Dolby Digital 5.1 to 2.0 and pass it to the TV without issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulo_d View Post

Thanks for the reply. I have DirecTV (Genie), and I put the sound to PCM and it still does not properly pass audio if coming from another input. I have to make sure the 6008 is in cbl/sat mode before I turn it off otherwise no audio passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

HDMI handshaking can be finicky at times. You may be better served with a Harmony remote that can handle the correct power on/off sequence.

Looks like a DirecTV DVR reset fixed the issue. Handshake issue looked to be on the DirecTV side.
chulo_d is offline  
post #1643 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Senior Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshcm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

You will get different opinions on whether there are sonic differences among solid state amplifiers. Most Marantz owners who post on the subject, and most reviews I have read, characterize the Marantz receivers as very musical and I have seen the term "warm" used. I have had several Marantz receivers and I would probably use a similar term to describe them. I am really not familiar with either of those speakers. Perhaps someone else on the thread is. But I took a quick look at reviews of the two speakers you mentioned and the Golden Ear Sevens looked pretty good for most of the sort of music I would like. The reviewer certainly seemed enthusiastic: http://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker-reviews/goldenear-technology-triton-seven-review/

Of course, you would still need a good sub (or two, rolleyes.gif since you mentioned 7.2).

Yeah the sevens reviews have almost been too good. I found about 5 or 6 reviews from different websites and they all seemed to gush all over them. At the same time I have found nothing on the silver 6 but it may be because they are too new. But the prior version the RX6 was highly regarded.

I liked the RX8, and although it's a different speaker then the 6, I am guessing the sound will be close. I will try and get a listen tomorrow. I am leaning towards the MA as I like the pricing and the options for the 4 surrounds a little better.

I did find this one earlier: http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-silver-6
walshcm likes this.
mthomas47 is offline  
post #1644 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Member
 
walshcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

I did find this one earlier: http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-silver-6

I did see that review, and while good it didn't sound great. Seemed to focus on the look and the build quality more than anything.

He did say if given a little room they open up, and mine would be at least 10 feet apart as they will be set with a 110-120 inch screen.
walshcm is offline  
post #1645 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Member
 
jedi1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey all, so I had something unexpected happen tonight on my SR7008. After turning the receiver on, no audio/video was coming out of any of my inputs. I tried switching several times but nothing happened. Then after about 30 seconds of the receiver being on, the entire unit became unresponsive. No volume controls worked, no switching input controls worked, nothing worked. I couldn't even turn off the dang receiver. I wound up unplugging it for about 10 seconds and plugged it back in. After turning it back on, I heard a click and my audio/video was back as were the rest of my controls for the unit. Has anyone else had this problem? I updated the firmware last night with no interruptions and seemed like it installed properly after about 50 min total. Thanks
jedi1982 is offline  
post #1646 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Member
 
chulo_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post

Hey all, so I had something unexpected happen tonight on my SR7008. After turning the receiver on, no audio/video was coming out of any of my inputs. I tried switching several times but nothing happened. Then after about 30 seconds of the receiver being on, the entire unit became unresponsive. No volume controls worked, no switching input controls worked, nothing worked. I couldn't even turn off the dang receiver. I wound up unplugging it for about 10 seconds and plugged it back in. After turning it back on, I heard a click and my audio/video was back as were the rest of my controls for the unit. Has anyone else had this problem? I updated the firmware last night with no interruptions and seemed like it installed properly after about 50 min total. Thanks

Same thing happened to me about a month ago with my SR6008. Soft reset fixed it.
chulo_d is offline  
post #1647 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Member
 
jedi1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
By soft reset, do you mean unplug it for 10 min or so? Thx
jedi1982 is offline  
post #1648 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Member
 
chulo_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post

By soft reset, do you mean unplug it for 10 min or so? Thx

Yes.
chulo_d is offline  
post #1649 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Member
 
Deadbydawn71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulo_d View Post

Same thing happened to me about a month ago with my SR6008. Soft reset fixed it.

I had the same thing happen as well. I unplugged it for a bit and plugged it back in. No issues since.
Deadbydawn71 is offline  
post #1650 of 3261 Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Member
 
Deadbydawn71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post

I'm just trying to save you some time and more importantly money.

Thank you Tom- I appreciate that and you taking the time to help. Very cool.gif of you sir.
Deadbydawn71 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off