The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 2868 Old 03-17-2014, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by klh1790 View Post

Hey thanks for the reply skidawgz. I tried everything you mentioned before that post. XT32 made me set the individual sub gains to 75db before running anyway. The 7008 still sounds much worse with my speakers' and sub's bass output. Towers/center still barely put out bass, and the Rythmik barely puts out anything. Audyssey must hate bass. No idea what to do. I can't believe my 5yr old HK receiver sounds miles better bass-wise. That sucks because overall the Marantz has FAR better clarity and imaging.

What happens if you run Direct or Pure Direct? This should bypass EQ.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2868 Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

My towers get some of their bass back, but it turns off my sub, center, and surrounds. Imaging and sound field suffer a lot in those modes.
post #1713 of 2868 Old 03-17-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:

My towers get some of their bass back, but it turns off my sub, center, and surrounds. Imaging and sound field suffer a lot in those modes.

I've never seen this on a receiver before my current model, but my SR6006 runs the sub on Pure Direct with LFE+Main option enabled. Does yours?

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
post #1714 of 2868 Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:

I've never seen this on a receiver before my current model, but my SR6006 runs the sub on Pure Direct with LFE+Main option enabled. Does yours?

Yeah, with LFE+Mains, it turns the sub back on, but no center or surrounds. And it overall just doesn't sound good compared to Dolby PLII Music/Movie, or Discrete Dolby/DTS multi-channel modes.
post #1715 of 2868 Old 03-17-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:

Yeah, with LFE+Mains, it turns the sub back on, but no center or surrounds. And it overall just doesn't sound good compared to Dolby PLII Music/Movie, or Discrete Dolby/DTS multi-channel modes.

Yes that I expected. However, If you play simple stereo music in Pure Direct + LFE+Main is the bass as expected?

post #1716 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 01:38 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:

Idk man. I tried everything and I can't for the life of me get this 7008 to sound right. My 5yr old Harman/Kardon AVR sounds better with no room correction. I might just return this thing. Audyssey just will not get the bass sounding proper. I've blown way too much on powered mains and a monster sub for this mess. I should be able to run XT32, sit back and be blown away. Not hardly.

Have you tried a 60Hz crossover? Having powered mains/center is not always ideal depending on the room dynamics which is why crossing over everything to the sub at 60Hz or 80Hz (especially when it can be moved to a more ideal location based on eg. subwoofer crawl) generally works better for most owners. The AVR will calibrate the sub and speaker volume levels based on the 75db test tone, however many owners prefer bumping up the sub volume 3-5+db after running Audyssey so certainly no harm in raising the Subwoofer Level setting higher to suit your preference.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1717 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 02:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

"To compare isn't totally fair - the Marantz is 50% more expensive - MSRP of $899 on the Marantz and $599 on the Yamaha. I would expect to get more out of the Marantz, but don't know if that's worth $300 to you."

I can't really comment on the Yamaha as others have, but as a long-time Marantz owner who also reads as many reviews as possible, I don't know of anyone who would disagree that Marantz receivers have excellent sound. If you contact jdsmoothie, he will be able to beat the MSRP on any of the Marantz receivers.

Thank you for your help.

I'm in the UK and the pricing is a little different here the Yamaha 675 is £350 and the Marantz 5008 is at £400. I'll have to try and get a demo somewhere.

I do like the fact Marantz is known for it's sound quality. 

post #1718 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 AM

I found the marantz remote app very useful. In this way I don't have to switch on the VPR or the TV.
Also the Network files are more easy to find and select.
Moreover I can start and select the source every where in my home
The only con is that I have only one smarth phone where I can load the Android app.
Do you know if exist the desktop version of this app?
For example Sonos has developped the desktop app and the mobile app and is very useful as I have one laptop that I can use for this
post #1719 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

Before I bought my 6008, I had a Yamaha rx-v673 for 3 months. The 673 replaced a Marantz SR5005. I got the Yamaha because it was cheap and had a lot of the features that I wanted. I only kept it for 3 months because the sound for music was a step down from the 5005 that I had. For movies it was fine, but music is always a priority for me so I sold it and invested in a Marantz 6008.
There is just no comparison when it comes to the two and I am not one of those who thinks that amps, DACs, or cables make a big difference.

I am confident that the 5008 will be a pretty good improvement over your 373.

I never tried the Avantage line from Yamaha but I am sure they too would be an improvement over the 373.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, even the amp I have now cinema sound is great but it feels lacking in music. The Marantz 5008 is just £50 more than the 675. I'll try to find somewhere that will show me a demo if I can.

The only concerns for me would be if there any HDMI handshake issues with my PC graphics card (GTX 680) through the 5008 onto my Panasonic ST50 as that is my main media/gaming in my living room. 

Thanks for your help!  

post #1720 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 03:26 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by atai View Post

I found the marantz remote app very useful. In this way I don't have to switch on the VPR or the TV.
Also the Network files are more easy to find and select.
Moreover I can start and select the source every where in my home
The only con is that I have only one smarth phone where I can load the Android app.
Do you know if exist the desktop version of this app?
For example Sonos has developped the desktop app and the mobile app and is very useful as I have one laptop that I can use for this

You can use the Web Control feature (p. 125 OM) when using a desktop or laptop by entering the AVR's IP address.
atai likes this.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #1721 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You can use the Web Control feature (p. 125 OM) when using a desktop or laptop by entering the AVR's IP address.

Many thanks! I will try for sure.
I have also an old Apple iPod touch and I have downloaded the previous app release but when I try to enter the IP address of my Marantz nothing happen, do you know why?
post #1722 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 03:41 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Not likely to work with other than laptop or desktop or possibly a tablet/iPad.

post #1723 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

I remember reading some posts on the Audyssey thread about Def Tech owners having similar problems with XT or XT-32. It really isn't an issue specific to Marantz or to the 7008. It's more in the way you use Audyssey with powered fronts and their built-in subs. If you post on the Audyssey thread, you should be able to get some good trouble-shooting suggestions from some other Def Tech owners who also employ Audyssey. I hope you can find a way to make things work. The 7008 is a fine receiver and XT-32 is pretty good in most applications.

Idk man. I tried everything and I can't for the life of me get this 7008 to sound right. My 5yr old Harman/Kardon AVR sounds better with no room correction. I might just return this thing. Audyssey just will not get the bass sounding proper. I've blown way too much on powered mains and a monster sub for this mess. I should be able to run XT32, sit back and be blown away. Not hardly.

I feel your pain. I can't speak for other people, but I sometimes find the technology in our AV systems a little frustrating, particularly when it won't do what I believe it should do, or what I want it to do. I think that most people probably are able to just run Audyssey and be blown away. But for whatever reason: room acoustics, specific equipment issues, etc., some circumstances require more effort to achieve a good result. Fortunately, these forums are here to help, and I have taken advantage of that help--and then try to help in return, when I can. The reason that I suggested posting on the Audyssey Thread is because that is the best collection of Audyssey knowledge and experience you are likely to find anywhere. Some of the more dedicated members of that thread have spent years studying, testing, and dissecting every aspect of Audyssey they can. And they like a challenge. They will ask you questions about your set-up procedure to uncover any flaws in the way you might have run Audyssey, or perhaps defects in the equipment, such as a bad microphone. And they will try to help discover whether something in your room is causing Audyssey to act in an unexpected way. There will be other people with the same equipment who have encountered similar situations in trying to get base from their powered mains down to a certain point before the external sub kicks-in. I would be surprised if they can't get you to a satisfactory solution.

I think the effort would be worth your while. Most high-end receivers have some form of room EQ these days, and XT-32 is believed to be the best affordable system, particularly when paired with something like the 7008. If you have a room acoustical issue or speaker issue which is impairing the proper implementation of Audyssey, you will still be likely to have it with other new receivers. And worst case, if the Audyssey trouble-shooting doesn't work, you can still return the 7008 in six days and get your money back. Then you can try again when you have more time to research and experiment with another new receiver of whatever kind. But as Tom said, if you will hang in there a little longer with the 7008 and XT-32, I think you will be very pleased with the results.
post #1724 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 348
One thing to try is to cluster the microphone positions much closer together around your primary listening position. Audyssey sort of averages them together to make the sound "good" at them all rather than making the primary position "best".
klh1790 likes this.

Selden
post #1725 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 04:37 PM

klh1790,

I have Triton 2 speakers with integrated powered subs like your DefTechs (believe they're designed by the same guy). I set them up as front left/right, and connected the receiver's sub outs to the speakers. I ran the receiver's auto-setup a couple of times, adjusting the speaker's subwoofer volume control each time until Audyssey set the front speaker crossover level at about 40-50 hz and the Audyssey sub trim was set near 0db. For 2-channel music I run analog from the disc player into the receiver's CD input and play in pure direct - this eliminates all the receiver's processing and gives me a really clean, dynamic sound. For movies I use HDMI into the receiver and let Audyssey get the speakers and subs working well together. I've found this setup very satisfying.

Hope this helps,

Mike'
post #1726 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 06:31 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes that I expected. However, If you play simple stereo music in Pure Direct + LFE+Main is the bass as expected?

Quote:

What I did with my 7008 after running Audyssey was this:

Set ALL my speakers to small from Audyssey's large setting. Even though my mains can get down to 35hz, doesn't matter. I want all bass going to my Rythmik FV15HP's. After doing that, I put the crossovers on ALL my speakers to 80 from the 40, 60, 60 setting Audyssey set them. I then moved the sub trim for both subs to -1.5 from the -6.5 Audyssey set them both to. That helped a lot with brining the bass back into the picture and giving me the theater-like SPL and sound.

When I did my initial Audyssey set up, I set my subwoofers around the 77db mark on the Audyssey screen.
post #1727 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 06:34 PM

One other question, what mic positions did you run your calibration settings? and what input on the subwoofer are you using to connect your subwoofer cable to your receiver?
post #1728 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 07:29 PM

I have a question for those of you who may also have the SR5008. I picked up mine yesterday as I was returning my Sony DN1040 because of the transformers humming when in standby mode, I also got scared off by numerous reports of HDMI issues as I witnessed some flickering myself.

I am running a 5.1 setup and have the Pioneer FS52's for my front left and right, Pioneer C22 for Center and Pioneer BS22 for Surround. My Sub is the SVS PB-2000.

I am not an audiophile and very new at all this so please be patient with me. I am really confused because I thought the Marantz was a better receiver based on all the good reviews but here is what I am finding.

- The Sony played louder for me at lower levels and the dialogue was crystal clear in TV and Movies. The Marantz seems to over power my surrounds and its very hard to hear dialogue at somewhat mid to low levels (anything below 45 on the dial). I ran the set up multiple times and running in a room with only one entry point that is 15 1/2 by 15 1/2 with 9ft tall ceilings is setting things up as follows:

Front L -0.5db

Center 0.0db

Front R 0.0db

Surround R +4.5db

Surround L +6.5db

Subwoofer -3.0

I have played around with the settings raising the fronts and centers and lowering the surrounds and it takes a substantial increase/decrease to make it better. Am I doing something wrong? Why would the Sony sound better/clearer?

I really do want to keep the Marantz despite giving up bluetooth, wifi and an additional HDMI port but I am left wondering if it is not a good match for my speakers?

Any advice or suggestions please?

post #1729 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metagamers View Post

I have a question for those of you who may also have the SR5008. I picked up mine yesterday as I was returning my Sony DN1040 because of the transformers humming when in standby mode, I also got scared off by numerous reports of HDMI issues as I witnessed some flickering myself.

I am running a 5.1 setup and have the Pioneer FS52's for my front left and right, Pioneer C22 for Center and Pioneer BS22 for Surround. My Sub is the SVS PB-2000.

I am not an audiophile and very new at all this so please be patient with me. I am really confused because I thought the Marantz was a better receiver based on all the good reviews but here is what I am finding.

- The Sony played louder for me at lower levels and the dialogue was crystal clear in TV and Movies. The Marantz seems to over power my surrounds and its very hard to hear dialogue at somewhat mid to low levels (anything below 45 on the dial). I ran the set up multiple times and running in a room with only one entry point that is 15 1/2 by 15 1/2 with 9ft tall ceilings is setting things up as follows:

Front L -0.5db
Center 0.0db
Front R 0.0db
Surround R +4.5db
Surround L +6.5db
Subwoofer -3.0

I have played around with the settings raising the fronts and centers and lowering the surrounds and it takes a substantial increase/decrease to make it better. Am I doing something wrong? Why would the Sony sound better/clearer?

I really do want to keep the Marantz despite giving up bluetooth, wifi and an additional HDMI port but I am left wondering if it is not a good match for my speakers?

Any advice or suggestions please?

I would first decrease your surrounds to where they are around 0.0 - +2.0 vs the current 4-6 range. I would then go into your setup menu, audio, audyssey, dynamic volume set to Medium. See how that impacts playback at the lower volume. That setting should help out with the overall sound and clarity at the levels you're used to. If the Dynamic Volume is currently set to off, you are listening to the playback with no audio leveling and the way the audio track was recorded.
post #1730 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post

I would first decrease your surrounds to where they are around 0.0 - +2.0 vs the current 4-6 range. I would then go into your setup menu, audio, audyssey, dynamic volume set to Medium. See how that impacts playback at the lower volume. That setting should help out with the overall sound and clarity at the levels you're used to. If the Dynamic Volume is currently set to off, you are listening to the playback with no audio leveling and the way the audio track was recorded.

Thank you very much for your advice. I will try this and let you know how it goes.

post #1731 of 2868 Old 03-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

.. I ran the set up multiple times and running in a room with only one entry point that is 15 1/2 by 15 1/2 with 9ft tall ceilings...

You've an almost perfect square room where there's going to be peaks and nulls in the bass frequencies. Are you able to move main listening position, speakers and sub to get a much better sound quality?

Here is the room modes based on Harmon's calculator:

If you have a sketch on how the room is set-up, people here can provide some advise.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1732 of 2868 Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:

Yes, the tower bass is much better that way, but I never play anything in that mode.
post #1733 of 2868 Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Have you tried a 60Hz crossover? Having powered mains/center is not always ideal depending on the room dynamics which is why crossing over everything to the sub at 60Hz or 80Hz (especially when it can be moved to a more ideal location based on eg. subwoofer crawl) generally works better for most owners. The AVR will calibrate the sub and speaker volume levels based on the 75db test tone, however many owners prefer bumping up the sub volume 3-5+db after running Audyssey so certainly no harm in raising the Subwoofer Level setting higher to suit your preference.

I've tried every crossover, size option, and sub mode. Only small/80hz/LFE sounds decent, but kills my tower and center powered subs. The powered LCR sounded fantastic in my setup with my old non-Audyssey HK AVR, so it's not the speakers or sub placement that are the problem. I did everything according to the 75db test tone pre-calibration, and it still seems like Audyssey XT32 wants to send ALL of my bass to the dedicated sub, making it localizable in my room, and completely lowering my towers and center's bass. It's like, why buy towers if Audyssey's going to take the bass away from them just because I have a sub? That's dumb. Heaven forbid if I had a sub-par subwoofer, I'd have a big speaker system with crap bass. Why can't it just blend all my large speakers and sub's bass together nicely so I can't pinpoint where it's coming from? Isn't that what we all want from our big systems?
post #1734 of 2868 Old 03-19-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkellyvich View Post

klh1790,

I have Triton 2 speakers with integrated powered subs like your DefTechs (believe they're designed by the same guy). I set them up as front left/right, and connected the receiver's sub outs to the speakers. I ran the receiver's auto-setup a couple of times, adjusting the speaker's subwoofer volume control each time until Audyssey set the front speaker crossover level at about 40-50 hz and the Audyssey sub trim was set near 0db. For 2-channel music I run analog from the disc player into the receiver's CD input and play in pure direct - this eliminates all the receiver's processing and gives me a really clean, dynamic sound. For movies I use HDMI into the receiver and let Audyssey get the speakers and subs working well together. I've found this setup very satisfying.

Hope this helps,

Mike'

I hear good things about those Triton 2's. How do the subs sound after calibration? Do they get pretty low? My DT8060 tower subs quit at 30-35hz. Anyway, the way you're doing it would work for me except I have a giant Rythmik FV15HP dedicated sub in the mix. Treating your tower subs as two separate subs is easy..I wish I could do that and be done. But having the Rythmik as the primary subwoofer, Audyssey sends all the bass from my powered towers and center to it. Surely, if you ever add a standalone big sub to your system, you'll be wondering the same thing I am. How the get all the subs to play nice together with Audyssey and not sacrifice it's amazing room corrected sound field and imaging.
post #1735 of 2868 Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:

One other question, what mic positions did you run your calibration settings? and what input on the subwoofer are you using to connect your subwoofer cable to your receiver?
Quote:

Cool, but I only have a single FV15HP for space reasons. And I want to use my towers and center sub that I paid for. They really sound great and help blend bass response in my room. Instead, Audyssey sends all the bass to my Rythmik which makes it sound like it's coming from "over there" instead of a room full of bass that I can't tell which speaker it's coming from. That's the goal here. I'm using the LFE-in on the back of the Rythmik. I ran all 8 mic positions around my couch for XT32.
post #1736 of 2868 Old 03-19-2014, 05:01 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I've tried every crossover, size option, and sub mode. Only small/80hz/LFE sounds decent, but kills my tower and center powered subs. The powered LCR sounded fantastic in my setup with my old non-Audyssey HK AVR, so it's not the speakers or sub placement that are the problem. I did everything according to the 75db test tone pre-calibration, and it still seems like Audyssey XT32 wants to send ALL of my bass to the dedicated sub, making it localizable in my room, and completely lowering my towers and center's bass. It's like, why buy towers if Audyssey's going to take the bass away from them just because I have a sub? That's dumb. Heaven forbid if I had a sub-par subwoofer, I'd have a big speaker system with crap bass. Why can't it just blend all my large speakers and sub's bass together nicely so I can't pinpoint where it's coming from? Isn't that what we all want from our big systems?

As is often the case, the woofers in your FL/C/FR speakers are not as capable "in your room" as the mfr's specs would lead you to believe. wink.gif

post #1737 of 2868 Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 AM

I may have run into another issue. I have noticed that when watching Blu-ray movies the Signal is reporting PCM. I have a 5.1 set up but for example many of my Blu-rays are 7.1 with no 5.1 option. The CS team at Marantz said the receiver in these instances will downgrade the signal to 5.1 but I then miss out on the processing which may explain why dialogue is very low.

Is this really true? In that case, do I need to either config two more speakers for a 7.1 set up (my room is not that large) or do I need to look at other options?

post #1738 of 2868 Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

I may have run into another issue. I have noticed that when watching Blu-ray movies the Signal is reporting PCM. I have a 5.1 set up but for example many of my Blu-rays are 7.1 with no 5.1 option. The CS team at Marantz said the receiver in these instances will downgrade the signal to 5.1 but I then miss out on the processing which may explain why dialogue is very low.

Is this really true? In that case, do I need to either config two more speakers for a 7.1 set up (my room is not that large) or do I need to look at other options?

What type of connection are you using between the Blu-ray player and the receiver?
It should be HDMI, which supports 8 channels of audio, including both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA.

The receiver is reporting the signal being sent to it by the player. You need to make sure the BD player's settings are configured both for "bitstream" and for "audio mix off". Bitstream would cause the audio track on the disc to be sent to the receiver unchanged, except that Mix tells it to merge in the menu sounds and secondary audio tracks. When that's specified, the player has to decode the audio and send PCM to the receiver. Different players use different terms for those two options.

Selden
post #1739 of 2868 Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Sounds like you're doing the audio decoding in the player instead of letting the AVR handle it, which is why the AVR would be showing it's receiving a PCM signal, unless you're watching an early Sony or Disney BD that was authored with PCM instead of a lossless codec to let the hardware catch up with the software. I don't know if there are any processing limitations with PCM signals with the Marantz in question, but some AVRs don't support certain features for PCM signals. Either way, combining 4 surround channels into 2 shouldn't hamper dialogue, which is typically front center channel driven.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #1740 of 2868 Old 03-19-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Quote:

Cool, but I only have a single FV15HP for space reasons. And I want to use my towers and center sub that I paid for. They really sound great and help blend bass response in my room. Instead, Audyssey sends all the bass to my Rythmik which makes it sound like it's coming from "over there" instead of a room full of bass that I can't tell which speaker it's coming from. That's the goal here. I'm using the LFE-in on the back of the Rythmik. I ran all 8 mic positions around my couch for XT32.

I see that several people are trying to help you on this, and you have gotten some good suggestions already. Selden Ball suggested that you re-run Audyssey using a very small cluster of microphone positions. Some people report excellent results using a 12" square, rather than 3-4'. That focuses the sound to a single listening position, which may help things a bit. You have mentioned being able to localize the sound of your subwoofer. Have you done a sub-crawl to make sure that your sub is in an optimum position? If it is, I don't know why you would be able to localize the sound so clearly. If you are sure that everything else is optimized given space limitations, you have run Audyssey correctly (and I would try tighter positions), the only thing left that I can see to do is to continue to experiment with crossover settings of 60hz and 80hz, also tweaking volume levels to taste. Audyssey will not really be sending all the bass sound to your sub if you don't want it to. But you may have to experiment with your tower levels too. I try to research the proper way of setting-up Audyssey and follow all the rules/recommendations as much as possible, and then I season to my personal preference. I don't know if you have read the Audyssey FAQ. I am thinking of a section: "What happened to my bass?" Sometimes reference bass sounds very bland at first to some people in some rooms. Our ears may generally adjust fairly quickly, or we may continue to add to tower or sub volume levels. It's also possible that in trying to get you to reference bass, Audyssey has encountered a room null which is causing problems. I wouldn't really know how to help you with that, but someone else might. Why don't you post your Audyssey settings--that is the Audyssey volume levels for each speaker? Maybe something is completely out of whack. Also, have you tried the various flavors of Audyssey, including Dynamic EQ on and off? Any difference? Finally, I would be curious how your towers and Rythmik sub sound with Audyssey disabled.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread - Sr5008 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page