The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2736 Old 08-21-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Please review that whole post that I linked to as there are many topics that I discuss to include the following section on ARC .... and although written using Denon model language, the same applies to the sister Marantz models as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_E4

Thanks again for the link. My TV does support ARC. In this case I would be using it for Netflix. I will follow the directions from the link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2736 Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Katzmo

Are you running HDMI ARC on yours system? That can cause the issue you are speaking of. Have noticed the same thing on my 5008 occasionally and have trace it to ARC
post #183 of 2736 Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
ARC can be problematic on several levels, not to mention can generally only pass stereo 2.0 audio which is why you'll generally be better served using an optical cable connection from the TV's optical audio out to the AVR as doing so avoids any ARC related issues as well as can pass DD 5.1 from those shows capable of passing DD 5.1 (eg. Netflix, Hulu).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #184 of 2736 Old 08-22-2013, 04:32 AM

The 5008 and my Samanung f8500 using ARC passes multi-channel audio ok with the only problem being these occasional handshaking dropouts.
post #185 of 2736 Old 08-22-2013, 05:57 AM

Liked: 11
As jdsmoothie noted above, if the same benefit can be achieved with an optical cable than I would avoid ARC altogether. For the sake of one extra cable, and a very small one at that - optical is your best bet. That way you can turn of HDMI Control altogether...which if you ask me seems largely useless, unless you find it troublesome to turn off your connected equipment independently. Of all the advancements HDMI has seen over the years, ARC is the most dispensable of them all IMO.
post #186 of 2736 Old 08-22-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapp Creek View Post

Katzmo

Are you running HDMI ARC on yours system? That can cause the issue you are speaking of. Have noticed the same thing on my 5008 occasionally and have trace it to ARC

I have seen it with ARC both off and on, but I have generally kept ARC off all week. Last night I pickup up one of these http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4176042# HDMI inline repeaters for 20 bucks and had a trouble free evening. Ill see how it goes for a few more days before I call it a success... thanks peoples!
post #187 of 2736 Old 08-22-2013, 12:52 PM

Ive added a Polk F/X wireless rear speaker to my setup, which is essentially a wireless, powered sound bar for the rear (sound/ effect is not too shabby actually!). The problem is, it doesn't have a built in volume control, and its LOUD even when I turn the 5008's speaker volume for the rears down to the minimum of -12. Can you think of another way to lower the volume? I can't, except to bump up all the other speakers by +10 or so... but if I adjust Audysseys individual speaker volume settings up like this, does it essentially kill the acoustic dynamics Audyssey has set up, or am I just making things louder as if I turned up the main volume (might be a ? for the Audyssey thread)? Of course, ideally I would be able to turn this Polk unit down with a simple dial down, so first and foremost, any thoughts there?
post #188 of 2736 Old 08-22-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzmo View Post

Ive added a Polk F/X wireless rear speaker to my setup, which is essentially a wireless, powered sound bar for the rear (sound/ effect is not too shabby actually!). The problem is, it doesn't have a built in volume control, and its LOUD even when I turn the 5008's speaker volume for the rears down to the minimum of -12. Can you think of another way to lower the volume? I can't, except to bump up all the other speakers by +10 or so... but if I adjust Audysseys individual speaker volume settings up like this, does it essentially kill the acoustic dynamics Audyssey has set up, or am I just making things louder as if I turned up the main volume (might be a ? for the Audyssey thread)? Of course, ideally I would be able to turn this Polk unit down with a simple dial down, so first and foremost, any thoughts there?

I have done a fair amount of reading on the Audyssey thread....and from what I gather (and someone please correct me if I am speaking out of turn on this) - it is a perfectly acceptable practice to change the trim level (i.e - speaker level), without adversely impacting the EQ filters that Audyssey applies. The trim levels that Audyssey sets are to compensate for one speaker sounding 'relatively' loud in comparison to others when playing in concert with one another. As such, if you do adjust the trim upwards, I would try to keep the same separtion in level between each so as not to throw things off too much. That said, even if you do bump them all up to +12 the difference depending on your listening environment would likely not be that audible unless you have a huge trim variation between the various speakers to begin with. Try it out...and most importantly - trust your ears...reference does not equal preference, and sometimes a little sacrifice in the name of the bigger picture is not only acceptable, but necessary.
post #189 of 2736 Old 08-22-2013, 03:18 PM

While we are on the topic of Audyssey as it applies to the Marantz SR line-up...you know what would be nice for the SR5008 and SR6008???
If Marantz were to release a firmware update to enable Audyssey XT 32 capability. Kinda stinks that unless you buy the 7008 - you are limited to the XT vers. Even if they make it a paid firmware download - provided it was reasonably priced - I would go for it. I just spoke with someone at Marantz and he said he would 'check with upper management'...not holding my breath on that. It is a curious decision for Marantz to omit the XT 32 from the 5008 & 6008 despite the fact all the SR models are built with a similar (if not identical) architecture. What's even more strange is that you can get the flagship Denon unit (AVR-X4000) for ~$1200 and it incorporates the XT 32...yet the similarly priced SR6008 does not? So D&M Holdings is basically saying" "Want HDAM and better audio fidelity? Go with Marantz...but you get hosed on the Audyssey calibration end of things!".
So the long and short of it is - you get better components and a cleaner signal in the Marantz(s) without the benefit of the enhanced Audyssey XT 32 - OR - you buy the 'lesser' brethren in the Denon - but then get the acoustic benefit of high-level Audyssey calibration/correction.
It would be interesting to have a 'shoot-out' (using the same speakers), between the SR6008 using XT calibration, and the AVR-X4000 using XT 32 calibration.
If any other 5008 or 6008 owners reading this thread agree with me on this - please give Marantz a call (1-800-654-6633), and let them know!
Perhaps they will consider adding this capability if enough people speak up...
That said, if you are one who is content with the XT version than more power to you (though likely you are not if you are on this site, reading this post lol) - so if you feel the same way please make the call or submit the request to Marantz...worth a shot me thinks.
post #190 of 2736 Old 08-22-2013, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0119 View Post

As jdsmoothie noted above, if the same benefit can be achieved with an optical cable than I would avoid ARC altogether. For the sake of one extra cable, and a very small one at that - optical is your best bet. That way you can turn of HDMI Control altogether...which if you ask me seems largely useless, unless you find it troublesome to turn off your connected equipment independently. Of all the advancements HDMI has seen over the years, ARC is the most dispensable of them all IMO.

HDMI CEC has been known to "work" in strange ways that are not very user friendly. In fact, the term "User Hostile" might be a better description.

As more Manufacturers seem to arriving at the same interpretation of the standard the utility of HDMI CEC is improving. I have a 2012 Panasonic LED TV connected to a Marantz SR6006 via an HDMI cable. My TV, TiVo, and Blu-Ray player are in one location and the Marantz, Apple TV, etc. are about 15 feet away. The TiVo and Blu-Ray player are connected to the TV via HDMI.

HDMI CEC is turned on in the TV and Marantz. ARC has been working flawlessly getting audio from the TV and attached equipment to the Marantz, HDMI CEC turns the Marantz on or off when the TV is turned on and off. TV remote controls volume and mute on the Marantz.

The Marantz receiver from the last few years seem to have HDMI CEC that works as expected.

In my experience, HDMI CEC on Sony equipment hasn't seemed to play well with other equipment including other Sony equipment. This may have changed since the last time I was involved in trying to make it work a couple of years ago. I would not hold my breath given Sony's track record.
post #191 of 2736 Old 08-22-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:

I have done a fair amount of reading on the Audyssey thread....and from what I gather (and someone please correct me if I am speaking out of turn on this) - it is a perfectly acceptable practice to change the trim level (i.e - speaker level), without adversely impacting the EQ filters that Audyssey applies. The trim levels that Audyssey sets are to compensate for one speaker sounding 'relatively' loud in comparison to others when playing in concert with one another. As such, if you do adjust the trim upwards, I would try to keep the same separtion in level between each so as not to throw things off too much. That said, even if you do bump them all up to +12 the difference depending on your listening environment would likely not be that audible unless you have a huge trim variation between the various speakers to begin with. Try it out...and most importantly - trust your ears...reference does not equal preference, and sometimes a little sacrifice in the name of the bigger picture is not only acceptable, but necessary.

So, looks like all I can do is bump up the trims. But at least it's not a problem, really good to know. Thanks!
post #192 of 2736 Old 08-23-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_B10

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_E9
What volume level are you using and what impedance are the speakers as the AVR is not designed to power low ohm speakers at high volume levels?

My 7008 started shutting off again last night when I went to the Blu-ray movie. It was not doing that while watching directv. Shut it down and went to the back to check all the wiring. Am using banana plugs. I saw nothing touching but reset everything and tried it again.
It seemed to work. Wonder if the Blu-ray movie used speakers that were not being used while watching Directv and could that have caused the shut down?
post #193 of 2736 Old 08-23-2013, 06:29 PM

Liked: 16
Enrico,
where did you get the cool wall paper with the Ferrari? Is there a setting for that on the SR7008?
post #194 of 2736 Old 08-23-2013, 06:42 PM

TOPICS:
(1) no wifi
(2) Audessey set up
(3) Subwoofer level
(4) Pre-Outs

(1) I got my SR7008 a couple of weeks ago. Still working on setting it up. Little disappointed it doesn't have wifi... I kind of assumed it did. There is no way I can connect a direct Ethernet line. I'm trying a "powerline" method and it seems to be working... but the signal is not always consistent. I tried a wifi bridge but it was a nightmare connecting with my modem/router. The powerline method is much easier.

(2) Ran Audssey the other day. I could not believe how it easy it was. They say it take 20-30 mins, heck it took me only 1 minute (I did only one sitting position). I haven't quite figured out all the tweeking yet. Not sure what all the features mean. Gotta dig into the manual.

(3) One thing I did notice is it set my subwoofer WAY lower than I did with the manual test tones... but I will say Audessey got it right.

(4) in case I want to add an external 3ch amp (eg: Emotive or Anthem) for my L/C/R, will the internal amps still drive all the other speakers? It seems like you might have to change the setting to activate the pre-outs for all channels, implying that the internal amp will NOT drive any of the speakers... is this right??? I hope I'm wrong.
post #195 of 2736 Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 55
No need to change any settings. Just connect your amp to the l/c/r preouts, connect your 3 front speakers to the amp and you're good to go. The receiver will drive the rest of the spesakers.

Some people recommend that you re-run Audyssey after you connect an amp.
post #196 of 2736 Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoforsale View Post

TOPICS:
(1) no wifi
(2) Audessey set up
(3) Subwoofer level
(4) Pre-Outs

(1) I got my SR7008 a couple of weeks ago. Still working on setting it up. Little disappointed it doesn't have wifi... I kind of assumed it did. There is no way I can connect a direct Ethernet line. I'm trying a "powerline" method and it seems to be working... but the signal is not always consistent. I tried a wifi bridge but it was a nightmare connecting with my modem/router. The powerline method is much easier.

(2) Ran Audssey the other day. I could not believe how it easy it was. They say it take 20-30 mins, heck it took me only 1 minute (I did only one sitting position). I haven't quite figured out all the tweeking yet. Not sure what all the features mean. Gotta dig into the manual.

(3) One thing I did notice is it set my subwoofer WAY lower than I did with the manual test tones... but I will say Audessey got it right.

(4) in case I want to add an external 3ch amp (eg: Emotive or Anthem) for my L/C/R, will the internal amps still drive all the other speakers? It seems like you might have to change the setting to activate the pre-outs for all channels, implying that the internal amp will NOT drive any of the speakers... is this right??? I hope I'm wrong.

1. Virtually every AVR on the market today (99%) do not feature built in Wifi. You may want to consider a different modem/router pair if the Powerline doesn't work out for you.
2. It takes 20-30 minutes because regardless of how many positions you actually have in the room, ideally you want to run all 8 mic positions, #1 being the most critical, centered between the FL/FR speakers and then the remaining 7 with 2'-3' around that #1 position. The more data points provided to Audyssey, the better.
3. Subs are generally very efficient which is why on average they will get set to -12db, forcing you to lower the gain knob on the sub to roughly 2-4 out of 10 to get it within the -3db to 0db range.
4. Yes, you can use both external amp and on board amps. There are no settings to change as the pre-outs are always hot; however, you will have to run Audyssey again as there is generally a gain difference between the external amps and on board amps.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #197 of 2736 Old 08-23-2013, 07:33 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

While we are on the topic of Audyssey as it applies to the Marantz SR line-up...you know what would be nice for the SR5008 and SR6008???
If Marantz were to release a firmware update to enable Audyssey XT 32 capability. Kinda stinks that unless you buy the 7008 - you are limited to the XT vers. Even if they make it a paid firmware download - provided it was reasonably priced - I would go for it. I just spoke with someone at Marantz and he said he would 'check with upper management'...not holding my breath on that. It is a curious decision for Marantz to omit the XT 32 from the 5008 & 6008 despite the fact all the SR models are built with a similar (if not identical) architecture. What's even more strange is that you can get the flagship Denon unit (AVR-X4000) for ~$1200 and it incorporates the XT 32...yet the similarly priced SR6008 does not? So D&M Holdings is basically saying" "Want HDAM and better audio fidelity? Go with Marantz...but you get hosed on the Audyssey calibration end of things!".
So the long and short of it is - you get better components and a cleaner signal in the Marantz(s) without the benefit of the enhanced Audyssey XT 32 - OR - you buy the 'lesser' brethren in the Denon - but then get the acoustic benefit of high-level Audyssey calibration/correction.
It would be interesting to have a 'shoot-out' (using the same speakers), between the SR6008 using XT calibration, and the AVR-X4000 using XT 32 calibration.
If any other 5008 or 6008 owners reading this thread agree with me on this - please give Marantz a call (1-800-654-6633), and let them know!
Perhaps they will consider adding this capability if enough people speak up...
That said, if you are one who is content with the XT version than more power to you (though likely you are not if you are on this site, reading this post lol) - so if you feel the same way please make the call or submit the request to Marantz...worth a shot me thinks.

Sorry, but not going to happen .. certainly not with a firmware update. The 7008 (like its sister model the X4000) has (2) processors, not just one like the 5008 (X2000) and 6008 (X3000). Denon's flagship model is the 4520CI, while the Denon/Marantz marry up as I have just indicated. Also, those purchasing the 5008 and 6008 will be more than pleased with XT, while those with a higher budget limit can jump up to the 7008 and experience XT32.

post #198 of 2736 Old 08-23-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoforsale View Post

Enrico,
where did you get the cool wall paper with the Ferrari? Is there a setting for that on the SR7008?

That's the extended desktop from my iMac biggrin.gif

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #199 of 2736 Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzmo View Post

Did you rerun Audyssey again after adding the new wireless speakers? If yes, the AVR would have likely set the speakers to -12db based on your experience. You can raise the volume of the other speakers without impacting the Audyssey EQ, although from reading reviews, apparently the Owner's manual does not recommend using them with Audyssey for the very reason you have discovered.

post #200 of 2736 Old 08-23-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 164
BTW, today I did rerun Audyssey after upgrade my front speakers to LSiM 705s and LSiM 706C center. Audyssey detected all three front speakers out of phase. I checked all cables and everything is OK. Also, everything sounds good to me. jd, do I need to check something else? I did not have this issue with my previous speakers (Polk Audio RTi A9 and CSi A6) and I'm using same speakers cables.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #201 of 2736 Old 08-23-2013, 08:17 PM
585-645-1006

Not at all .. Audyssey sometimes mis detects the polarity with some speakers so generally nothing to worry about. As the guidance goes, visually check speakers are wired correctly (ie. pull the AVR out of the cabinet if you have to as I've aided more than just a few owners who swore they wired it up correctly, only to learn that was in fact NOT the case when they actually pulled the unit out of the cabinet). If confirmed wired correctly, as the Owner's manual indicates, simply press SKIP and move on to the next set of speakers. smile.gif

post #202 of 2736 Old 08-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
This has probably been discussed already, I have the new 7008 and finally got everything running good, I had a problem with one of the power amps in my Golden Ear Triton 2's.....But got that all straightened out now...
My question is about listening in Stereo mode, or Direct mode...I noticed when listening in stereo mode my fronts and Subwoofer were active, but when I switched to Direct, my sub was not active, but I did seem to get alot fuller range from my Triton 2's..... Is this normal? And what is supposed to be the best option for listening to music in stereo mode?
ALso is it normal to be listening to some sources in the 60-70 percent volume?

Rick

RickP.
post #203 of 2736 Old 08-24-2013, 02:36 PM
585-645-1006

Using DIRECT mode you disable bass management (ie. no audio direct to the sub with 2.0 input) and Audyssey, so using STEREO mode is the preferred mode for the majority. And yes, a master volume level of 60-70 is average with the reference level set at 80 after running Audyssey, a level you generally never want to exceed which is why it's a good idea to set the Volume Limit setting to 70 or 80 to ensure someone doesn't accidentally exceed 80.

post #204 of 2736 Old 08-24-2013, 10:14 PM

JD, thanks for the info. Regarding wifi, I think some new AVRs do have wifi: Onkyo, Integra, even Sony (if that counts).
post #205 of 2736 Old 08-25-2013, 02:21 AM
585-645-1006

Correct. The new Onkyo 626 and higher models as well as the Sony STR-DN740 and higher models do.

post #206 of 2736 Old 08-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Using DIRECT mode you disable bass management (ie. no audio direct to the sub with 2.0 input) and Audyssey, so using STEREO mode is the preferred mode for the majority. And yes, a master volume level of 60-70 is average with the reference level set at 80 after running Audyssey, a level you generally never want to exceed which is why it's a good idea to set the Volume Limit setting to 70 or 80 to ensure someone doesn't accidentally exceed 80.

How come it seems to sound better in Direct mode than Stereo? My Triton's seem to play in full range with lot's of low end in Direct....And I still prefer listening to music in 7.1 analog input using the Fronts and Sub....

Thanks JD

RickP.
post #207 of 2736 Old 08-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Another question I had when using my Blu ray and listening to HD master audio, should it read that on the Marantz? It only says Dolby digital...When I hit the sound buttons on remote under movie settings, no HD master or Trud hd settings show....Is this normal.....

Rick

RickP.
post #208 of 2736 Old 08-25-2013, 08:08 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Did you make sure you are playing the HD track on the disc. Some movies default to the Dolby Digital track instead of the uncompressed HD one.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #209 of 2736 Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Did you make sure you are playing the HD track on the disc. Some movies default to the Dolby Digital track instead of the uncompressed HD one.

Yes It is saying on the oppo that I am playing HD MAster audio....

Rick

RickP.
post #210 of 2736 Old 08-25-2013, 08:48 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPas View Post

How come it seems to sound better in Direct mode than Stereo? My Triton's seem to play in full range with lot's of low end in Direct....And I still prefer listening to music in 7.1 analog input using the Fronts and Sub....

Thanks JD

Most will prefer Audyssey enabled, but of course personal preference will always prevail. Use the mode that sounds best to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPas View Post

Another question I had when using my Blu ray and listening to HD master audio, should it read that on the Marantz? It only says Dolby digital...When I hit the sound buttons on remote under movie settings, no HD master or Trud hd settings show....Is this normal.....

Rick

If it reads "Dolby Digital" that is what is being received from the Oppo. Check your Oppo settings.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page