The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 3172 Old 04-26-2014, 06:30 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I would like to see a SR8009 receiver with a more powerful amp section as well as 11 channel capability.biggrin.gif

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 3172 Old 04-26-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update on the 2-channel stereo music audio quality of the SR7008. I spoke with the owner of Audio Alternative here in town -- the owner Rick Duplisea is a guy in the business for 30+ years. Honest and knows his stuff. I asked if the SR7008 would sound as good as my 20-year-old 2-channel Perreaux amp and preamp, and he said no. His feeling is that for 2-channel music, a $500 2-channel receiver will cost half as much and sound twice as good as a $1000 AV receiver. Just the way it is.

He stated that the only way to achieve relative parity in audio quality with my Perreaux 2-channel amp and preamp is to go with separates: Marantz AV7701 preamp/processor and Marantz MM7055 5-channel power amp. Even then my Perreaux *might* be a tiny bit better, but possibly equal.

Thoughts?
post #2163 of 3172 Old 04-26-2014, 05:51 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsoltan54 View Post

Update on the 2-channel stereo music audio quality of the SR7008. I spoke with the owner of Audio Alternative here in town -- the owner Rick Duplisea is a guy in the business for 30+ years. Honest and knows his stuff. I asked if the SR7008 would sound as good as my 20-year-old 2-channel Perreaux amp and preamp, and he said no. His feeling is that for 2-channel music, a $500 2-channel receiver will cost half as much and sound twice as good as a $1000 AV receiver. Just the way it is.

He stated that the only way to achieve relative parity in audio quality with my Perreaux 2-channel amp and preamp is to go with separates: Marantz AV7701 preamp/processor and Marantz MM7055 5-channel power amp. Even then my Perreaux *might* be a tiny bit better, but possibly equal.

Thoughts?

What about using the SR7008's LR preamp outs to dual high quality monoblock tube amps? I'm potentially planning on doing that. Wouldn't that sound amazing? I can't see how it would be bad. That way I can have a tube amp 2 channel system and home theater all in one right? No? Blasphemy?
Zsoltan54 likes this.
post #2164 of 3172 Old 04-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Thoughts?

I would never buy from him.
post #2165 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 08:40 AM

Enjoying the sound of my new 5008. Gonna try and run Audyssey soon.  It's a dog scheduling thing, they're gonna have to be outta the house if this test makes a chirping sound or fuggetaboutit.

Strange, I have no subwoofer signal when music is streamed from iTunes via airplay to the NETWORK input.  

I was concerned this brand new sub might be dead out of the box.  

I'm using the LFE input on the sub fed from the 5008 sub 1 pre out.

This morning I played a CD of an identical track I'd ripped to Apple Lossless in iTunes.

The CD player brings the subwoofer to life!!!!  Plenty of subwoofer bass waiting for Audyssey's touch.

The same track in iTunes played via 5008 NETWORK input leaves the subwoofer silent.  I cranked the bass in iTunes software EQ control, still nothing.

Any thoughts?

HSG

post #2166 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1773 Post(s)
Liked: 1699
^^
Are you using the same surround mode for both sources?
HzSoGood likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2167 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the tip  JDS.  

I checked both CD and NETWORK,  Pressed MUSIC button on both & both displayed "STEREO."  

But in NETWORK I wasn't running airplay from iTunes when I checked.  The multi menu (displaying Pandora, Sirius, Server, etc,) in NETWORK was displayed.

So I checked it again this time running airplay and iTunes.  The current song window appeared showing album art.  I pressed the MUSIC button at the bottom of my remote.  Again "STEREO" was listed and suddenly...  The subwoofer popped on.   I see in the manual the 5008 remembers the last SOUND MODE for "it's button"  I'm assuming that means this is now set till another choice is made. 

Can Pandora, Spotify, Network server all have their own distinct SOUND MODE?  Or is this a GLOBAL setting for the entire NETWORK source?  Just curious...  I'm assuming it's a GLOBAL setting.

I just checked the other modes, MOVIE, GAME, DIRECT, I know DIRECT kills the woofer, but it doesn't display STEREO either & other modes displayed Dolby PL II, so not sure what caused my problem, guess I had to wake it up?  Works fine now.

Thanks again JDS.

HSG

post #2168 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 03:49 PM

I recently purchased a 5008 and I'm having trouble with the Marantz app not seeing my 5008 in the device list? It will see other devices like my Samsung and Panasonic TV's. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Firmware has recently been updated and I'm running powerline network adapters.
Any thoughts?
post #2169 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 04:24 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Try rebooting the modem/router and unplug the AVR for at least 10 minutes.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #2170 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 04:35 PM

I did reboot the router twice.

I was just playing around with it and did get the app to recognize the Marantz but airplay was cutting out so was internet radio and then I lost communication with my iPhone?
I wasn't have as many issues before the firmware update but it was acting up a bit.

Funny I can go over to my brothers house and control his Marantz network receiver with my iPhone.

I unplugged the Marantz will go out and try again.
post #2171 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 04:41 PM
585-645-1006

^^
If still no joy after the "soft reset", a full microprocessor reset would be the next step (p.200 Owner's manual).

post #2172 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 04:44 PM

Thanks JD
post #2173 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 05:39 PM

Did the soft reset nothing, did the microprocessor reset still nothing. Rebooted iPhone, etc.
No sign of the 5008 now in the device list on the app?

Not sure what to do now?
post #2174 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

I would never buy from him.

Why not?
post #2175 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh1790 View Post

What about using the SR7008's LR preamp outs to dual high quality monoblock tube amps? I'm potentially planning on doing that. Wouldn't that sound amazing? I can't see how it would be bad. That way I can have a tube amp 2 channel system and home theater all in one right? No? Blasphemy?

Hmm, now you have me thinking that I could use my Perreaux amp with the Marantz AV7701 preamp/processor. The remote control is tied to the preamp/processor, right?
post #2176 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Okay, I'm looking at getting an SR6008 or SR7008 in the near future (next few months).

I was just thinking about music streaming. I was about to buy a multi-cd changer, and thought - why? Plus, they all get bad reviews or have mechanical problems. And most are discontinued. I think that's sending a message.

Anyhow, this is what I have right now:

-A USB hard drive with lots of MP3 files, VBR level 3, and some FLAC rips, hooked to a Windows Vista computer.
-I don't really use iTunes or any Apple stuff. I have a couple Sansa MP3 players we load up from Windows Media player. I use WMP to listen to music on the PC.
-I don't really stream music over my network yet. This is new to me.

So - do I have to make a lot of changes to get music streaming over the Marantz SR5008 or SR7008? Do I have to install iTunes and somehow import my library? I obviously would need my computer on when streaming music, do I need or would it be useful to get a network attached storage device?

There seem to be about 1001 ways to get MP3s over a network to some speakers. I'm looking for the easiest way for my situation, using the Marantz units. Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
post #2177 of 3172 Old 04-27-2014, 10:33 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Hmm, now you have me thinking that I could use my Perreaux amp with the Marantz AV7701 preamp/processor. The remote control is tied to the preamp/processor, right?

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. I mean, I doubt the preamp signals coming from the outputs on my SR7008 are going to sound any less glorious than what comes out of my speakers when connected directly to it. So if that's the case, I think it would be cool to put that already amazing sound quality through some high quality tube amps for the mains and see what happens. I've never heard what a tube amp sounds like in a home setting. And let's be honest, the glowing tubes look DAMN cool in an audio rack. The only caveat is the PrimaLuna tube amps I want are 6k/pair. So, I'd like to hear if anyone else has tried this with a high quality AVR or if it's an audiophile sin.
Zsoltan54 likes this.
post #2178 of 3172 Old 04-28-2014, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post

Okay, I'm looking at getting an SR6008 or SR7008 in the near future (next few months).

I was just thinking about music streaming. I was about to buy a multi-cd changer, and thought - why? Plus, they all get bad reviews or have mechanical problems. And most are discontinued. I think that's sending a message.

Anyhow, this is what I have right now:

-A USB hard drive with lots of MP3 files, VBR level 3, and some FLAC rips, hooked to a Windows Vista computer.
-I don't really use iTunes or any Apple stuff. I have a couple Sansa MP3 players we load up from Windows Media player. I use WMP to listen to music on the PC.
-I don't really stream music over my network yet. This is new to me.

So - do I have to make a lot of changes to get music streaming over the Marantz SR5008 or SR7008? Do I have to install iTunes and somehow import my library? I obviously would need my computer on when streaming music, do I need or would it be useful to get a network attached storage device?

There seem to be about 1001 ways to get MP3s over a network to some speakers. I'm looking for the easiest way for my situation, using the Marantz units. Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

danielrg,

I've got the smallest unit of the Marantz family (NR-1504). To listen some songs without using iTunes, I did the following:

1. Save all the music files across to a WD MyBook Live NAS. MyBook has DNLA server built-in and this needs to be enabled. It's a tick box on the set-up page.
2. Connected the MyBook to the router via hardwire.
3. Connected the AVR to the router via hardwire.
4. Downloaded an app called BubbleUPnP onto the Android phone.

After switching on all the devices. BubbleUPnP was able to recognize MyBook (via the DNLA server). Was able to put together a playlist on the fly. Setting up a playlist is the most tedious task. Multiple playlists can be saved.
BubbleUPnP also recognized the Marantz NR-1504 (as it's DLNA renderer).

Played some tunes via the playlist, the volume control on BubbleUPnP also controlled the Main Volume (MV) of the Marantz NR-1504.

I believe the above set-up is workable for all of Denon/Marantz AVR. This includes the SR5008/7008 that you intend to purchase.

The app is free to try, but found it useful enough to purchase the license and support the developer.

If your router has USB port and DLNA server, you can skip steps 1 and 2. Just save the music files onto a USB drive and connect directly to the router, enable the router's DLNA server.

I've also tried the USB port on the front of the Marantz AVR. The user interface is not very friendly. Had to use the TV to navigate to specific folder and play a file.
danielrg likes this.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2179 of 3172 Old 04-28-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh1790 View Post

I can't afford to put equipment in my home theater when the room is done and do separates. I absolutely plan on doing something like this. I can only imagine the real difference is in the amps. And what better way to know for sure than to spend a couple years with the 6008 or 7008, then add a two channel or 2xmonoblock amp and see what it does? Makes perfect sense to me. But then again, I'm new at all this.
klh1790 likes this.

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
post #2180 of 3172 Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

danielrg,

I've got the smallest unit of the Marantz family (NR-1504). To listen some songs without using iTunes, I did the following:

(look above)

This is great. I pasted it into my home theater research file. Wish I could give you two thumbs up! Hopefully this post will be useful to others as well.

post #2181 of 3172 Old 04-29-2014, 08:16 AM

Liked: 14
Hi,

I'm a new owner of the SR6008, first of all I'd like to thank a lot of people here, I've finally read all of the 73 pages and this gave me a lot of useful information, both prior to and after my purchase smile.gif

I've seen mixed reviews on the HDMI-CEC functionality of the receivers, and was a bit scared at first because that was one of the things I really wanted to be functioning, along with ARC & 3D (I'm upgrading from SR5003 which didn't have any of these features).
I thought I'd post some feedback here so people who care about it would benefit from my experience.

So first of all here's what I have connected to my SR6008:
- a Samsung LED TV (series 7000 from 2011), one of the first models with ARC functionality
- a Samsung BDP-6800 3D Blu-ray player
- a Playstation 3 Slim
- an Intel NUC i5 Haswell (HTPC with Win8.1 and XBMC) with HDMI-CEC internal adapter from Pulse Eight

I was a bit scared that adding a receiver in the middle of my fully operational HDMI-CEC setup would end up being a total mess, but surprisingly it works exactly as I was hoping it would, ie seamlessly smile.gif
Turning on any of the slave players (BD player, PS3 or HTPC) leads to the TV and AV receiver automatically turning on and switching to appropriate HDMI source, and vice-versa wink.gif
And I only need my TV remote for navigating through the menus of all these players.

Also ARC works as designed, in the sense that when I'm watching TV the sound of the TV automatically outputs to the SR6008. And I have no conflicting issues with HDMI-CEC like some people have experienced.

So all in all I'm really satisfied with this implementation on the SR6008 smile.gif

As for the rest, the SR6008 is a great receiver but I don't want to explain again in details what other people have said better than I would wink.gif
danielrg likes this.
post #2182 of 3172 Old 04-29-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

danielrg,

1. Save all the music files across to a WD MyBook Live NAS. MyBook has DNLA server built-in and this needs to be enabled. It's a tick box on the set-up page.
2. Connected the MyBook to the router via hardwire.
3. Connected the AVR to the router via hardwire.
4. Downloaded an app called BubbleUPnP onto the Android phone.

After switching on all the devices. BubbleUPnP was able to recognize MyBook (via the DNLA server). Was able to put together a playlist on the fly. Setting up a playlist is the most tedious task. Multiple playlists can be saved.
BubbleUPnP also recognized the Marantz NR-1504 (as it's DLNA renderer).

Played some tunes via the playlist, the volume control on BubbleUPnP also controlled the Main Volume (MV) of the Marantz NR-1504.

I believe the above set-up is workable for all of Denon/Marantz AVR. This includes the SR5008/7008 that you intend to purchase.

The app is free to try, but found it useful enough to purchase the license and support the developer.

If your router has USB port and DLNA server, you can skip steps 1 and 2. Just save the music files onto a USB drive and connect directly to the router, enable the router's DLNA server.

I've also tried the USB port on the front of the Marantz AVR. The user interface is not very friendly. Had to use the TV to navigate to specific folder and play a file.

Great post thanks for this

I have a few questions - do you know of an app that would work on an iPad? Also would this set up be able to play HD files like 24 bit reliably? Many thanks
post #2183 of 3172 Old 04-29-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtgsm View Post

Hi,

I'm a new owner of the SR6008, first of all I'd like to thank a lot of people here, I've finally read all of the 73 pages and this gave me a lot of useful information, both prior to and after my purchase smile.gif

I've seen mixed reviews on the HDMI-CEC functionality of the receivers, and was a bit scared at first because that was one of the things I really wanted to be functioning, along with ARC & 3D (I'm upgrading from SR5003 which didn't have any of these features).
I thought I'd post some feedback here so people who care about it would benefit from my experience.

---snip---

First post! Welcome and thanks for sharing!

post #2184 of 3172 Old 04-30-2014, 01:03 AM

Liked: 14
Yeah I'm registered here since 2008 but you're right it actually is my first post wink.gif
post #2185 of 3172 Old 04-30-2014, 04:02 AM
585-645-1006

Most recent SR5008 firmware change log ....

- When DTS-HD MA 96k audio is streamed, there is noise or no output
- Noise from DD+ stream from Netflix
- WMA 11/12 files not playing
- Noise from WAV file in NAS (Twonky Server 7) via remote app
- MSLEFT and MSRIGHT of the AMX command
- Noise between tracks of FLAC file
- No communication with Buffalo LInkStation

post #2186 of 3172 Old 04-30-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin22 View Post

Great post thanks for this

I have a few questions - do you know of an app that would work on an iPad? Also would this set up be able to play HD files like 24 bit reliably? Many thanks

ronin22,

iDevices from Apple work a little bit differently. iTunes is the database of all music that's currently holds lossy (mp3) and lossless (m4a) files that I have. You can import 24 bit files into iTunes, but to play via your iDevice to the current Marantz AVR wirelessly the maximum frequency is limited to 48kHz. If you have higher frequency music, you would need to down-convert, it also makes the files smaller.

The procedure I used is:
1. Create playlists in iTunes;
2. Transfer music to the iDevice with iTunes using the sync feature;
3. Connect the Marantz AVR to router via hardwire.

Switch on all the devices. All current Marantz AVR has Airplay feature.

Use the music app to play some tunes via the playlist. When playing a tune through the iDevice, look for Airplay symbol (flick up the control pane from the bottom) and tap it. There should be a list of airplay enabled renderers including the Marantz AVR, select it to play through the AVR.

I've used an app called Bongiovi DPS that has some sound enhancing features and has Airplay functionality. Again it's free to try, but found it useful enough to support the developer.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2187 of 3172 Old 04-30-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

ronin22,

iDevices from Apple work a little bit differently. iTunes is the database of all music that's currently holds lossy (mp3) and lossless (m4a) files that I have. You can import 24 bit files into iTunes, but to play via your iDevice to the current Marantz AVR wirelessly the maximum frequency is limited to 48kHz. If you have higher frequency music, you would need to down-convert, it also makes the files smaller.

The procedure I used is:
1. Create playlists in iTunes;
2. Transfer music to the iDevice with iTunes using the sync feature;
3. Connect the Marantz AVR to router via hardwire.

Switch on all the devices. All current Marantz AVR has Airplay feature.

Use the music app to play some tunes via the playlist. When playing a tune through the iDevice, look for Airplay symbol (flick up the control pane from the bottom) and tap it. There should be a list of airplay enabled renderers including the Marantz AVR, select it to play through the AVR.

I've used an app called Bongiovi DPS that has some sound enhancing features and has Airplay functionality. Again it's free to try, but found it useful enough to support the developer.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it
post #2188 of 3172 Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 AM

Liked: 11
I have a strange issue with my SR5008. A few days ago I selected the Network option on the receiver because I wanted to listen to Internet radio. When I did so I noticed the right surround speaker was emitting a very audible static hiss. I realize without sound coming through the speakers there is always a slightly audible noise coming through each speaker...which was the case with every other speaker...normal. However, said noise was especially apparent from the right surround and becomes even more pronounced at higher volume. I tried switching the speakers...same problem. I thought it might be the cable or the connection so I switched those too...same problem. Tried unplugging the receiver and doing a hard reboot...same problem. I even reset the receiver to its default settings (holding D Max and Zone 2 Source simultaneously while pressing the Power button as described in the manual to reset the Microprocessor)...and - problem still exists. As a final exercise to isolate the problem I affixed the left surround cables to right surround terminal, and as predicted the left surround speaker was now displaying the same odd crackling and overly exaggerated hiss....which tells me it is DEFiNITELY something with either the right surround binding posts, or the right surround amp.
Has anyone ever experienced this, or do you hany ideas or advice on what it might be?
Looks like I may have to fight with the seller to get the unit swapped out...or repaired.
Sucks, because my receiver is now about 8 months old so getting a replacement may prove difficult mad.gif
post #2189 of 3172 Old 05-01-2014, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Well, there is a 1 year warranty, so you should be able to get some sort of help..

Have you tried plugging it in somewhere else, or with a surge protector, or directly into the wall? It could be some sort of power issue as well...
post #2190 of 3172 Old 05-01-2014, 10:08 AM

Liked: 11
I thought about that but have not tried plugging directly in to the wall. If it was a power issue, why would it only be confined to the right surround channel though?
I guess it could be a power issue...but if so - it would seem to be a power issue to the amp in question and not the receiver in general.
I did notice for a week or so my receiver was NOT degaussing like it normally does (usually there are 2 clicks when you turn on the machine), and for a few days there when I turned on the power I would only hear the initial click...and not the second click a few moments later.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page