The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2251 of 2730 Old 05-07-2014, 03:22 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,020
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post

Ok, I might be missing something obvious here, but for the Network reset my understanding is I'm supposed to Power On the receiver while hold the + and - "preset" buttons. Looking at the front panel of my receiver I can't figure out which are the + and - preset buttons - I have nothing with that label.

Sorry for the dumb question...

On the SR7008, you would use the MOVIE and MUSIC buttons instead.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2252 of 2730 Old 05-07-2014, 05:49 AM
Member
 
scoe141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0119 View Post


Not sure if the 7007 has HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module)...which is a new feature Marantz added this year.
So, assuming the 7007 does not have it, the 5008 would be a step up in that regard.
7007 has more power...and an extra HDMI out...but depending on your speakers and room size etc. I doubt if you would notice the extra 25 watts.
If you look at the specs, the DSP is the same (Analog Devices ADSP21487)...and I beleive the video chip (also Analog Devices) is the same...so in terms of video performance and compatibility they are identical.
Dimensionally the 7007 is quite a bit bigger so if you you have size constraints in your wall unit or rack that may be a factor.
Looks like they both only use the Audyssey XT, I beleive the XT32 is unique to the 7008.
Pretty much boils down to power, but I would stay with the 5008 for the HDAM alone, which seems to have a pretty significant impact on the audio overall from everything I have read.

Thanks for the input. (No pun intended of course...) Im running Infinity P163 in the front, 153 in the rear and an 8" sub.  I'll be adding a center channel at some point as well.  Room size is 12x14x9... so it's not huge by any means.  

scoe141 is offline  
post #2253 of 2730 Old 05-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
skidawgz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoe141 View Post

I recently bought the 5008 and absolutely love it. However I recently saw that the 7007 is on sale for a 100 dollars more.  Im just wondering if I should return the 5008 and get the 7007. Anyone have experience with both units?  Currently I wouldn't have any need for the extras that come with the 7007.  I'm just curious if the internal components, build,quality etc of the 7007 would justify the extra 100 bucks.  Thoughts?  

Thanks for any insight.  

If it is only $100 I would definitely grab it. You certainly are not gaining much, but you do gain a little bit with each feature. As said a few post above, HDAM is on the 7007.

One of my favorite things about the 7xxx is the screen under flip down door. Keeps the Marantz look, and clues me in when my TV is off during music listening.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60
skidawgz is offline  
post #2254 of 2730 Old 05-07-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, my 7008 got here a day early yesterday, so I spent the whole morning and early afternoon today disconnecting the Onkyo 818 and connecting the 7008. I got everything all connected, even FINALLY, after 6 long years of staring at them, connected my Tannoy Mercury M1 bookshelves to use as Front Heights (too tight to do a front wide config). I've had the speaker stands ready for them for a year and a half. tongue.gif Ran Audyssey and it set my Front L/R to large -- hmm, does that mean it won't send any low end frequencies from the front to the sub? I mean, my Tannoy Sensy wide-bands do go down pretty low, 30Hz, but they hardly give the kind of BOOM you'd get from a sub, for films anyway. For music they are very respectable. Some people have been fooled into thinking I was running a 2.1 configuration. Anyway, firmware is downloading now --an estimated 52 minutes! eek.gif Time for lunch.

I do have a question about the video processing in the Marantz -- is it input specific, or does it apply universally? I don't seem to see a setting to apply the scaling to only specific inputs. For instance, I'd like to use the built-in processing on the Marantz to de-interlace the signal from the Fios box, but allow my Oppo BDP-105 to pass through untouched. Can I do that without having to switch the processing on and off manually all the time?

I did notice that, for whatever reason, the 7008 was not finding all of the hi-res FLAC music files on my NAS, For example, I recently downloaded the new Aerosmith releases from Acoustic Sounds in 96/24 and it wouldn't see them, but it would see the older Done With Mirrors 96/24 FLAC files from HDtracks in the same directory. Weird. I use the 105 for playback anyway, but if it's a defect or something, it'll have to go right back to Crutchfield.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #2255 of 2730 Old 05-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Newbie
 
HzSoGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Finally ran Audyssey on my new SR5008.  

 

Incredible, incredible difference now from my old SR5000.  Stunning, the Game of Thrones opening theme never sounded so good.  I'm stunned.  Reality melts away within minutes of several of favorite movies and shows.  With only 5.1, there is total immersion. 

 

One curious thing though, I expected the SR5008 (100watts) to be considerably louder than my old SR5000 (70watts).

 

Using their 1 to 100 scale, I'd always ran the SR5000 at "72".  The new SR5008 seems to be set at 80 for the same effect and that's still a tad low.   I know this is very unscientific but...  Curious about this discrepancy. 

 

My speakers, remain the same as the original setup.  4 ohms...

 

HSG

HzSoGood is offline  
post #2256 of 2730 Old 05-07-2014, 01:47 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,020
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
^^
There is no direct correlation between the two volume scales.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #2257 of 2730 Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Member
 
scoe141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10

^^^+2  I was told you can "throw that out the window".  No correlation indeed, like JD said.

scoe141 is offline  
post #2258 of 2730 Old 05-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Member
 
scoe141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post


If it is only $100 I would definitely grab it. You certainly are not gaining much, but you do gain a little bit with each feature. As said a few post above, HDAM is on the 7007.

One of my favorite things about the 7xxx is the screen under flip down door. Keeps the Marantz look, and clues me in when my TV is off during music listening.

Thanks skid- I was going back and forth on this for the past two days.  I finally decided today to get the 7007 and return the 5008.  I absolutely LOVED the 5008 so I hope that I won't miss it.  I combed over the features between the 5008, 7007 and even the 7008.  There really aren't many differences.  I like the added power, the front facia and of course the blue led ring.  I know it's superficial, but I just love that clean look on the front of the 7007/08. There were minimal differences between the 07/08 other than the extra channels, Audessy XT32 and some inputs.  I'm not sure if they did anything under the hood. 

 

Is that flip down door spring loaded?  Does it flip down, or do you push it in and then comes down? I was curious how it retracted.

scoe141 is offline  
post #2259 of 2730 Old 05-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Member
 
rodneyiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HzSoGood View Post

Finally ran Audyssey on my new SR5008.  

Incredible, incredible difference now from my old SR5000.  Stunning, the Game of Thrones opening theme never sounded so good.  I'm stunned.  Reality melts away within minutes of several of favorite movies and shows.  With only 5.1, there is total immersion. 

One curious thing though, I expected the SR5008 (100watts) to be considerably louder than my old SR5000 (70watts).

Using their 1 to 100 scale, I'd always ran the SR5000 at "72".  The new SR5008 seems to be set at 80 for the same effect and that's still a tad low.   I know this is very unscientific but...  Curious about this discrepancy. 

My speakers, remain the same as the original setup.  4 ohms...

HSG
If the volume number difference bothers you, the 5008 might have a digital gain setting like my 7008 does. That will give all the digital signals a boost at the preamp level to give the same output volume at a lower volume setting.
rodneyiii is offline  
post #2260 of 2730 Old 05-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Senior Member
 
rgiorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoe141 View Post

Thanks skid- I was going back and forth on this for the past two days.  I finally decided today to get the 7007 and return the 5008.  I absolutely LOVED the 5008 so I hope that I won't miss it.  I combed over the features between the 5008, 7007 and even the 7008.  There really aren't many differences.  I like the added power, the front facia and of course the blue led ring.  I know it's superficial, but I just love that clean look on the front of the 7007/08. There were minimal differences between the 07/08 other than the extra channels, Audessy XT32 and some inputs.  I'm not sure if they did anything under the hood. 

Is that flip down door spring loaded?  Does it flip down, or do you push it in and then comes down? I was curious how it retracted.

XT32 with the Sub Eq is a huge difference

7.2 with Thiel Power Points, twin Seaton Submersive F2's in Espresso. Krell Showcase Amp, Marantz Pre-Pro, Richard Grey Power, Control 4 Home Automation, lots of Blue Jean Cables, Oppo 103D, Sony DVD 777 400 Disc Changer and Samsung Plasma 64" 8500 all in a Salamander Synergy 247 in Walnut.
rgiorgio is offline  
post #2261 of 2730 Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Member
 
rodneyiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post

Ok, I might be missing something obvious here, but for the Network reset my understanding is I'm supposed to Power On the receiver while hold the + and - "preset" buttons. Looking at the front panel of my receiver I can't figure out which are the + and - preset buttons - I have nothing with that label.

Sorry for the dumb question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

On the SR7008, you would use the MOVIE and MUSIC buttons instead.
My network card lost its mind several days ago and I just unplugged the system power. It worked for me. Just like rebooting a PC.
rodneyiii is offline  
post #2262 of 2730 Old 05-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Member
 
Kutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

On the SR7008, you would use the MOVIE and MUSIC buttons instead.

Thanks.

I did the Network reset and then just recalibrated with Audyssey.

The reset fixed the streaming issues. I was able to access the files on the hard drive connected to my router, but this time the files played immediately instead of locking up and not starting. 44, 96, and 192 all streamed perfectly.

I'm glad I was able to fix the issue with the reset. I guess the question is what is happening that resets are needed to fix the issue?

I didn't try unplugging the system power - in hind sight I wonder if that would have also done the trick...
Kutter is offline  
post #2263 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 05:08 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,020
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
^^
Similar to having to reboot your PC from time to time, so to must the processor in the AVR be reset, although a "soft reset" can be attempted first by unplugging the power cord for at least 10 minutes which does not reset any settings but may resolve some issues.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #2264 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 05:57 AM
Member
 
scoe141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiorgio View Post


XT32 with the Sub Eq is a huge difference

Thanks- that's what I've head around the forum.  I believe the 7007 is upgradable to the XT32, but would need to find a tuner.  

scoe141 is offline  
post #2265 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,020
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
^^
The SR7007 only uses MultEQ XT and is not upgradeable to XT32, rather you would need to upgrade to the SR7008 to get that feature to also include Sub EQ HT (dual sub calibration). The SR7007(and the SR6008) is capable of using the Audyssey Pro Kit ($700) but the improvement would not be even close to just upgrading to XT32 for roughly the same cost as the Audyssey Pro Kit is going to use the same MultEQ XT that is on the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #2266 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Senior Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoe141 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiorgio View Post

XT32 with the Sub Eq is a huge difference
Thanks- that's what I've head around the forum.  I believe the 7007 is upgradable to the XT32, but would need to find a tuner.  

If the choice were between the 5008 and the 7007, I would probably lean toward the 7007, as others have advised. If the choice were between the 7007 and the 7008, I would most definitely choose the 7008. XT-32 is a substantial technology upgrade, and the audio reviews on the 7008 seem generally superior, as well. Of course, there is also a cost difference, but if you contact jdsmoothie the difference may not be insurmountable.

(I like the blue LED ring too, and the door opens by pushing down.)
scoe141 likes this.
mthomas47 is offline  
post #2267 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Member
 
tommaazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi. I have a question...i have my sr7008 for about half a year now and i had only 5.2 speakers until now...today i have added a front height speakers (why not if the receiver is for the task wink.gif ) and i have put the receiver in 7.1 ch + zone and now i can hear the releys switching when i scroll through the movie...before i didnt hear it but now it is getting on my nerves...everytime the receiver loses the sound i can hear the releyes switching...is there something i can do or i have to live with it if i want 7.2 (with front height). anyone have any recomendtaions?
Thanks
tommaazz is offline  
post #2268 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Grooms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Villages, Fl
Posts: 2,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 164
You'll get accustomed to the relays clicking, that's what they do. Give it a week and you won't even notice.

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
Tom Grooms is offline  
post #2269 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post

You'll get accustomed to the relays clicking, that's what they do. Give it a week and you won't even notice.

That clicking has been bugging the crap out of me. OTOH, it is not as loud as the clicking from the Onkyo 818, but the Onkyo did not click as frequently. This 7008 clicks even when I skip through commercials on the DVR.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #2270 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Member
 
Damon2311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can anyone suggest full range speakers for a marantz sr7008, I don't want to add a amp. Budget of 3,000 I have def tech bp7004 now love everything about them but the mids are lacking, compared to infinity beta 50s I had. I have been looking at the kefs Q and R series but there is know where around me I can listen, also I seen that drop low and should be treated as a 4 ohms speaker. I heard the b&w cm9 and Martin logan motion 40, I prefer the logans also a 4 ohms speaker. I also been doing my research online of jbl studio 580 and some Internet direct aperion, emp, svs, and so on. I wanna find maybe a high efficiency 6 to 8 ohm speaker, with out any outboard amp I want the sr7008 to handle everything I have it hooked to a panamax m5300 for clean power and high cables. Also I have done a little research on MA gx300. So marantz sr7008 owners can u guys steer me in the right direction and tell me what you think, starting to get very confused.
Damon2311 is offline  
post #2271 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Member
 
scoe141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The SR7007 only uses MultEQ XT and is not upgradeable to XT32, rather you would need to upgrade to the SR7008 to get that feature to also include Sub EQ HT (dual sub calibration). The SR7007(and the SR6008) is capable of using the Audyssey Pro Kit ($700) but the improvement would not be even close to just upgrading to XT32 for roughly the same cost as the Audyssey Pro Kit is going to use the same MultEQ XT that is on the AVR.

Thanks JD.  Very helpful! 

scoe141 is offline  
post #2272 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Member
 
Tgterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just realized that the Vienna Acoustic Haydns I am running on my sr7008 are 4 ohm speakers. Is this a dangerous situation for this receiver? They are older speakers, and I have been considering an upgrade, but like Damon 2311, I'd be very interested in expert opinions here...thanks.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tgterm is offline  
post #2273 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Member
 
Chris0119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon2311 View Post

Can anyone suggest full range speakers for a marantz sr7008, I don't want to add a amp. Budget of 3,000 I have def tech bp7004 now love everything about them but the mids are lacking, compared to infinity beta 50s I had. I have been looking at the kefs Q and R series but there is know where around me I can listen, also I seen that drop low and should be treated as a 4 ohms speaker. I heard the b&w cm9 and Martin logan motion 40, I prefer the logans also a 4 ohms speaker. I also been doing my research online of jbl studio 580 and some Internet direct aperion, emp, svs, and so on. I wanna find maybe a high efficiency 6 to 8 ohm speaker, with out any outboard amp I want the sr7008 to handle everything I have it hooked to a panamax m5300 for clean power and high cables. Also I have done a little research on MA gx300. So marantz sr7008 owners can u guys steer me in the right direction and tell me what you think, starting to get very confused.

I am running Aperion Intimus speakers with my 5008...the sound is pretty amazing (5.1 config).
I like Aperion because they are very neutrally balanced speaker...solid construction, thick 18mm MDF casing etc.
They seem to pair well with Marantz...so much so Aperion sells Marantz and only Marantz receivers on their website.
I took a leap of faith having never heard Aperion...but after all the positive reviews I decided to give it a shot as I was on a $2500 budget for speakers at the time.
Thus far I have no regrets.
I have heard more expensive Paradigm's, and Klipsch reference series (RF-82 package)...and to me...the Aperion's seem warmer and more tonally consistent throughout the full sound spectrum. The imaging is amazing...and finally - the aesthetics (forgive my bias) are fantastic.
The free shipping and 30 day trial period is nice as well.
That said, all speakers have their highs and lows (no pun intended)...so I guess its all a matter or preference, and of course budget!
Final note, Aperion's are pretty efficient and easy to drive, so the 7008 could handle them with ease up to a 7.2 config I would think without any issues.
Chris0119 is offline  
post #2274 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Member
 
Chris0119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

Well, my 7008 got here a day early yesterday, so I spent the whole morning and early afternoon today disconnecting the Onkyo 818 and connecting the 7008. I got everything all connected, even FINALLY, after 6 long years of staring at them, connected my Tannoy Mercury M1 bookshelves to use as Front Heights (too tight to do a front wide config). I've had the speaker stands ready for them for a year and a half. tongue.gif Ran Audyssey and it set my Front L/R to large -- hmm, does that mean it won't send any low end frequencies from the front to the sub? I mean, my Tannoy Sensy wide-bands do go down pretty low, 30Hz, but they hardly give the kind of BOOM you'd get from a sub, for films anyway. For music they are very respectable. Some people have been fooled into thinking I was running a 2.1 configuration. Anyway, firmware is downloading now --an estimated 52 minutes! eek.gif Time for lunch.

I do have a question about the video processing in the Marantz -- is it input specific, or does it apply universally? I don't seem to see a setting to apply the scaling to only specific inputs. For instance, I'd like to use the built-in processing on the Marantz to de-interlace the signal from the Fios box, but allow my Oppo BDP-105 to pass through untouched. Can I do that without having to switch the processing on and off manually all the time?

I did notice that, for whatever reason, the 7008 was not finding all of the hi-res FLAC music files on my NAS, For example, I recently downloaded the new Aerosmith releases from Acoustic Sounds in 96/24 and it wouldn't see them, but it would see the older Done With Mirrors 96/24 FLAC files from HDtracks in the same directory. Weird. I use the 105 for playback anyway, but if it's a defect or something, it'll have to go right back to Crutchfield.

The settings for video and audio are input specific...so whatever input you are on when you make setting adjusts will remain tied to that particular input.
P.S - IMHO forego the 'double bass' approach and set your FL/FR speakers to small...they may be good at handling LFE...but generally you will get cleaner/crispier bass letting your sub handle anything below 60-80Hz...especially since you have the XT32 with the 7008 and it does such a good job at stringing everything together.
Chris0119 is offline  
post #2275 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Senior Member
 
skidawgz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon2311 View Post

Can anyone suggest full range speakers for a marantz sr7008, I don't want to add a amp. Budget of 3,000 I have def tech bp7004 now love everything about them but the mids are lacking, compared to infinity beta 50s I had. I have been looking at the kefs Q and R series but there is know where around me I can listen, also I seen that drop low and should be treated as a 4 ohms speaker. I heard the b&w cm9 and Martin logan motion 40, I prefer the logans also a 4 ohms speaker. I also been doing my research online of jbl studio 580 and some Internet direct aperion, emp, svs, and so on. I wanna find maybe a high efficiency 6 to 8 ohm speaker, with out any outboard amp I want the sr7008 to handle everything I have it hooked to a panamax m5300 for clean power and high cables. Also I have done a little research on MA gx300. So marantz sr7008 owners can u guys steer me in the right direction and tell me what you think, starting to get very confused.

Don't seek advice here, post in the speaker section! Not that many people will see your post in this thread.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60
skidawgz is offline  
post #2276 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Damon2311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks Chris, sorry skidawdz
Damon2311 is offline  
post #2277 of 2730 Old 05-08-2014, 11:10 PM
Member
 
Zsoltan54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I absolutely love my GoldenEar Triton Two Towers. Sonic perfection, efficient, and affordable. Also look at the rest of the GoldenEar line. Raking in the awards and accolades everywhere.
Zsoltan54 is offline  
post #2278 of 2730 Old 05-09-2014, 02:59 AM
Senior Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon2311 View Post

Can anyone suggest full range speakers for a marantz sr7008, I don't want to add a amp. Budget of 3,000 I have def tech bp7004 now love everything about them but the mids are lacking, compared to infinity beta 50s I had. I have been looking at the kefs Q and R series but there is know where around me I can listen, also I seen that drop low and should be treated as a 4 ohms speaker. I heard the b&w cm9 and Martin logan motion 40, I prefer the logans also a 4 ohms speaker. I also been doing my research online of jbl studio 580 and some Internet direct aperion, emp, svs, and so on. I wanna find maybe a high efficiency 6 to 8 ohm speaker, with out any outboard amp I want the sr7008 to handle everything I have it hooked to a panamax m5300 for clean power and high cables. Also I have done a little research on MA gx300. So marantz sr7008 owners can u guys steer me in the right direction and tell me what you think, starting to get very confused.

Damon2311,

Welcome to AVS!

Speakers are a very personal choice.

I initially went with and up-grade with KEF speakers and compared to my older HTiB system, it was definitely a step up in sound quality. Inevitably, the itch to up-grade comes up now and then (think AVS members call this disease up-gradititus:eek:), causing some who this disease to ask on AVS forums questions like what is better sounding; A or B? The smartness of the reply is usually go and have a listen... Unfortunately this just causes frustration as there are so many variables affecting the listening experience; i.e. room, source, sound pressure levels, placement, budget, etc. So they go researching, find new interesting speaker manufacturers and try to narrow down their choices. They then ask again on the forums, what is better sounding; A or B? The same smart reply comes back ... go and have a listen. Frustration sets in, then...

It is unfortunate there is no cure for this disease..

I say the above in jest as it's currently happening to me. Your current def tech speakers are nice. I would like to go over the big picture regarding sound reproduction chain in most homes. It goes something like this:
(i) Source (i.e. CD/vinyl/computer file) ---> (ii) device player (i.e. CD player/turn table/media player) ---> (iii) pre/pro ---> (iv) amp ---> (v) speaker ---> (vi) room interaction ---> (vii) listener's ears

I assume you've got (i) and (ii) sorted out. The Marantz SR-7008 is (iii) and (iv) combined as an AVR. Since (vii) can't be changed, that just leaves (v) the speakers and (vi) room interaction. You might want to try improve sound quality through placement of your current speakers and listening position with measurement like REW first as it more cost effective. Room treatment is another option to deal with (vi) and generally improves sound quality overall.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
steveting99 is online now  
post #2279 of 2730 Old 05-09-2014, 06:29 AM
Newbie
 
HzSoGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyiii View Post


If the volume number difference bothers you, the 5008 might have a digital gain setting like my 7008 does. That will give all the digital signals a boost at the preamp level to give the same output volume at a lower volume setting.

(Regarding:

"Originally Posted by HzSoGood View Post

Finally ran Audyssey on my new SR5008.  

Incredible, incredible difference now from my old SR5000.  Stunning, the Game of Thrones opening theme never sounded so good.  I'm stunned.  Reality melts away within minutes of several of favorite movies and shows.  With only 5.1, there is total immersion. 

One curious thing though, I expected the SR5008 (100watts) to be considerably louder than my old SR5000 (70watts).

Using their 1 to 100 scale, I'd always ran the SR5000 at "72".  The new SR5008 seems to be set at 80 for the same effect and that's still a tad low.   I know this is very unscientific but...  Curious about this discrepancy. 

My speakers, remain the same as the original setup.  4 ohms...

HSG")

Thanks Rodneyiii,  

 

This is a very useful suggestion.  I've set my "amp output safety limit" to 80, which is the highest value the SSR5008 permits.  

 

If I could set it to 85, I would; but it's either 80 or full 100.    

 

I hope to find this digital gain setting info in the manual.  I feel like it could use just a tad more punch at that level from time to time depending on what I'm listening to.

 

OK, just did a quick look through manual seems like it might be available in the "Sound modes and surround parameters" Section...
 

Thanks
 

HSG

HzSoGood is offline  
post #2280 of 2730 Old 05-09-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0119 View Post

The settings for video and audio are input specific...so whatever input you are on when you make setting adjusts will remain tied to that particular input.
P.S - IMHO forego the 'double bass' approach and set your FL/FR speakers to small...they may be good at handling LFE...but generally you will get cleaner/crispier bass letting your sub handle anything below 60-80Hz...especially since you have the XT32 with the 7008 and it does such a good job at stringing everything together.


Right, but the Manual seems to say that if you make changes to the settings after running the Audyssey setup you can no longer apply Audyssey dynamic EQ and so forth? I'm confused, because the manual is very poorly written and laid out, IMHO.I've just been trying to feel my way through all of the settings and peeking at the manual, abysmal grammar and all.


EDIT: Page 192 of the manual:
Quote:
  • If you change the speaker settings after performing Audyssey® Setup, it will not be possible to select Audyssey MultEQ® XT32, Audyssey Dynamic EQ® and Audyssey Dynamic Volume® (vpage 167, 168, 169).
  • “Manual Setup” can be used without changing the settings. Please set if necessary.
So how do I get the benefit of XT32 if it can't be used once I go in and change the speaker size settings manually? Or is that a misprint? I don;t quite understand that last line there about manual setup being used without changing the settings. (???)

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off