The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 4086 Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Why thinking on buying a new remote? Is not the remote covered by the three years Marantz warranty?

According to Marantz US only the accessories below are not covered under the warranty:

5. Accessories, including but not limited to, batteries, cables, mounting hardware and brackets, cleaning accessories, antenna and detachable power cords.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Support/Pag...dWarranty.aspx

You should give Marantz a call and ask them before buy other remote.
Called Marantz USA spoke to a Corey and he said the remote is only covered 90days from purchase. I bought the receiver in Jan 14 so out of luck.

I then spoke to someone in parts to order a new one, $65 plus 7 bucks shipping. JD suggested going with a Harmony remote, I will do this if the new one craps out after 90 days. Thanks all for the suggestions.

IF YOU LIKE IT....BUY IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 4086 Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello guys,

Been reading this forum with a lot of interest and kudos to all the members who have been keeping this alive and informative.

This is my first post here, so apologies in advance if I am not doing something right.

I just got my first home theater set up and I got a Marantz 7008 with a Marantz UD 7007 and a B&W 684 series setup. As In the ht room, I've got a 5.1 setup. In a living area I've got 2 ceiling speakers and in the alfresco area another 2 ceiling speakers, all B &W. The 5.1 in the main zone works like a charm. Zone 2 also works with a different input from the main zone, no problems. I can't get zone 3 working though. Usually when I switch on zone 2, there is a click and zone 2 comes on. When I switch on zone 3, nothing happens.

Anything obvious that I am doing wrong?

Cheers,
Maverick
post #2523 of 4086 Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking for SR5008 the other day and ask the sales person if I can hear demo from it.
He did not acknowledge me instead ask me to try out yamaha RX-V675.
Reason is, since there's going to a new release, its on sale ( Im so frustrated until I did not pay attention on yamaha pricing )
Surround sound is so much better then Denon x2k or SR5008 and higher in watts per channel.
What would you do. Would you buy what he recommends, just base on your knowledge and get the SR5008 or just walk away ?
post #2524 of 4086 Old 06-26-2014, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0tiq View Post
I was looking for SR5008 the other day and ask the sales person if I can hear demo from it.
He did not acknowledge me instead ask me to try out yamaha RX-V675.
Reason is, since there's going to a new release, its on sale ( Im so frustrated until I did not pay attention on yamaha pricing )
Surround sound is so much better then Denon x2k or SR5008 and higher in watts per channel.
What would you do. Would you buy what he recommends, just base on your knowledge and get the SR5008 or just walk away ?
^x0tiq,

I'd say the salesman is trying to push you onto something he's been instructed to clear out. He might even get a nice commission for every RX-V675 that he sells.

If you're interested in the SR-5008 and the customer services representative isn't in serving you - I'd walk away to some other place that would like to do business. Call AVS - they are an authorized dealer for Marantz offer competitive pricing.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #2525 of 4086 Old 06-26-2014, 03:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 5140 Post(s)
Liked: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick343 View Post
Hello guys,

Been reading this forum with a lot of interest and kudos to all the members who have been keeping this alive and informative.

This is my first post here, so apologies in advance if I am not doing something right.

I just got my first home theater set up and I got a Marantz 7008 with a Marantz UD 7007 and a B&W 684 series setup. As In the ht room, I've got a 5.1 setup. In a living area I've got 2 ceiling speakers and in the alfresco area another 2 ceiling speakers, all B &W. The 5.1 in the main zone works like a charm. Zone 2 also works with a different input from the main zone, no problems. I can't get zone 3 working though. Usually when I switch on zone 2, there is a click and zone 2 comes on. When I switch on zone 3, nothing happens.

Anything obvious that I am doing wrong?

Cheers,
Maverick
It either comes on or it doesn't. When you power on Zone 3 do you notice a 2nd bar show up on the dial display as noted in the image below? Try unplugging the unit for 10 minutes (soft reset) and if still no joy then do the hard reset (p. 241 Owner's manual).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	709
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	136210  

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
post #2526 of 4086 Old 06-26-2014, 06:15 AM

Liked: 2
Solution to "low volume" for network sources bug

Hi,

Only two months after buying a brand new Marantz SR5008, the volume for any of the network sources (DLNA, internet radio, etc.) dropped dramatically. Where previously normal levels of 20-40 were used, suddenly I had to crank it up to 60-80. Other sources like HDMI audio from the TV, analog CD player, etc. remained unchanged.

I tried doing a factory reset, power off for 30 minutes, a couple of more factory resets, but the problem remained.

Looking on the Internet, I discovered I was not the only one having this issue. Finally, I found the solution on a Denon related forum (the Denon's have the same issue), but as we all know the close relationship between the two, I applied the exact same solution to my Marantz and yes, the problem is solved!

Solution:

1) Go download the latest firmware from the marantz support website: http://firmware.marantz.eu/
2) Follow the instructions to update the firmware through a USB dongle (I previously already did a network firmware update, but this didn't fix the problem - and there has to be an update to do this )
3) Don't forget to do a cpu reset by pressing Channel+ and Channel- while powering on the device (is also part of the instructions).

The whole process took about 45 minutes, but it saved me a trip to the shop, wait 3 weeks for Marantz service to do this, go back to the shop, re-install all my wires and cables, etc.

Remarks:

I have only discovered this yesterday, so I do not know whether the bug is actually fixed in the firmware, or that the whole updating process truly resets the whole receiver in way that the normal factory reset does not. The firmware release notes do not state anything related to this particular bug...

It would be very helpful to know exactly why the receiver suddenly drops its volume for network sources in order to avoid the problem (assuming that the firmware does not already fixes it).

Hopefully this will help other people with the same issue...

Stefaan
BigNunz6 and x0tiq like this.
post #2527 of 4086 Old 06-26-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Hi Jamie,

Welcome to new/old AVS!

If your intention is to combine the CA 605a and the STR-D595 into one unit being the SR6008, would like to know more about your set-up and what you're trying to achieve.

The SR6008 has Audyssey room eq which does more than the Azur 650a. Not sure about the Sony and it's room correction features (if it has any). The Sony unit looks to be an older/out of date model that does very basic decodes.
hey steveting99 and thx

the Sony is a older amp. if i remember it from the 2001.

I have a video of the sixteenth.
but I do not talk so good english. just kind of know it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSsm...ature=youtu.be
post #2528 of 4086 Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
^x0tiq,

I'd say the salesman is trying to push you onto something he's been instructed to clear out.
yea ... I thought so too. I can be mean at times. But my misses was with me. She looked at me and grin.
Another word, be nice. So I put on a fake smile and began listening to him. I've heard how yamaha sounds like.
I just wanted to listen to marantz. I hope tomorrow will be a good day. And I hope I will be able to listen to what interest me, most.
post #2529 of 4086 Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Wall View Post
hey steveting99 and thx

the Sony is a older amp. if i remember it from the 2001.

I have a video of the sixteenth.
but I do not talk so good english. just kind of know it,
Hi Jamie,

Please start a new thread (call it Jamie Wall's setup) regarding your gear under the following forum: AVS Forum > Home Entertainment & Theater Builder > General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms >

Better to get input in your setup thread rather than the Marantz thread.

Preliminary comments based on your youtube video. Your setup is as follows?

Speakers: 5.1 comprising of custom left + right. The center and surrounds + sub are by Logitech?
Output display: looks to be 1080p projector only + screen. I.e. no TV?
Room size: small bedroom setup (dimensions?)
pre/pro + amp: CA Azur 650A integrated amp + Sony STR-D595
Source: popcornhour media player

What I don't understand is how the CA and Sony are inter-connected, or how the Marantz SR series can help with what you want.

When you played transformers, the reason that Sony can only decode the lossy (DD/DTS) sound track and not the high resolution version (Dolby TrueHD / DTS-MA) is due to the outdated model.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.

Last edited by steveting99; 06-27-2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: clarification on sound track formats
post #2530 of 4086 Old 06-27-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hello all. I did a few quick searches in this thread but didn't quite find what I was looking for...

Hopefully y'all can help me. I recently purchased the 5008 model. When playing from the 'Network' input (i.e. Pandora) or even when using Airplay, I notice that my sub is not being used (even when switching from direct to stereo, to virtual, etc.)... for whatever reason, the sub is not moving at all...

However the sub works when watching from a different input, such as TV, BluRay, etc.

Is this normal or I am missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Last edited by Shimmy Bang Bang; 06-27-2014 at 06:04 AM.
post #2531 of 4086 Old 06-27-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny68 View Post
How can I find the ALL ZONE STEREO surround mode. I would like to see if that works.
Thanks
I am in this same situation with my 5008 - as of right now, I cannot play my TV audio in Zone 2

Can someone please tell me where to find the ALL ZONE STEREO surround mode? Please and thank you

Last edited by Shimmy Bang Bang; 06-27-2014 at 08:15 AM.
post #2532 of 4086 Old 06-27-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Make sure zone 2 is on, select the source and hit "options".

It's better to just run an analog pair so you can still enjoy DD or DTS sound in the main zone without neutering the signal when playing zone 2.
post #2533 of 4086 Old 06-27-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
Make sure zone 2 is on, select the source and hit "options".

It's better to just run an analog pair so you can still enjoy DD or DTS sound in the main zone without neutering the signal when playing zone 2.
Super thanks for the reply.

1. Just verifying here - In addition to using the HDMI for TV, I should also connect an analog pair from the TV to receiver, or do you mean something else exactly?

2. If that is in fact what you meant (which I assume), what exact input should I connect the analog pair to? http://imgur.com/YpqW9wk

Thanks so much.

Last edited by Shimmy Bang Bang; 06-27-2014 at 09:48 AM.
post #2534 of 4086 Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a Harman Kardon AVR 2700. How would the Marantz SR 5008 compare? Would the sound quality be good?
post #2535 of 4086 Old 06-27-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy Bang Bang View Post
Super thanks for the reply.

1. Just verifying here - In addition to using the HDMI for TV, I should also connect an analog pair from the TV to receiver, or do you mean something else exactly?

2. If that is in fact what you meant (which I assume), what exact input should I connect the analog pair to? http://imgur.com/YpqW9wk

Thanks so much.
The analog pair goes from the source (assuming blu ray player or cable satellite box) to the inputs (audio in) in the AVR.
post #2536 of 4086 Old 06-27-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Hi Jamie,

Please start a new thread (call it Jamie Wall's setup) regarding your gear under the following forum: AVS Forum > Home Entertainment & Theater Builder > General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms >

Better to get input in your setup thread rather than the Marantz thread.

Preliminary comments based on your youtube video. Your setup is as follows?

Speakers: 5.1 comprising of custom left + right. The center and surrounds + sub are by Logitech?
Output display: looks to be 1080p projector only + screen. I.e. no TV?
Room size: small bedroom setup (dimensions?)
pre/pro + amp: CA Azur 650A integrated amp + Sony STR-D595
Source: popcornhour media player

What I don't understand is how the CA and Sony are inter-connected, or how the Marantz SR series can help with what you want.

When you played transformers, the reason that Sony can only decode the lossy (DD/DTS) sound track and not the high resolution version (Dolby TrueHD / DTS-MA) is due to the outdated model.
Jamie Wall's setup
post #2537 of 4086 Old 06-28-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
It either comes on or it doesn't. When you power on Zone 3 do you notice a 2nd bar show up on the dial display as noted in the image below? Try unplugging the unit for 10 minutes (soft reset) and if still no joy then do the hard reset (p. 241 Owner's manual).

Thanks for your reply mate. I found the problem. It was setup for 7.1 ch with zone 2. I changed it to 5.1 with zone 2/3 and it worked

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Maverick
post #2538 of 4086 Old 06-28-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefaanSeys View Post
Solution to "low volume" for network sources bug

Hi,

Only two months after buying a brand new Marantz SR5008, the volume for any of the network sources (DLNA, internet radio, etc.) dropped dramatically. Where previously normal levels of 20-40 were used, suddenly I had to crank it up to 60-80. Other sources like HDMI audio from the TV, analog CD player, etc. remained unchanged.

I tried doing a factory reset, power off for 30 minutes, a couple of more factory resets, but the problem remained.

Looking on the Internet, I discovered I was not the only one having this issue. Finally, I found the solution on a Denon related forum (the Denon's have the same issue), but as we all know the close relationship between the two, I applied the exact same solution to my Marantz and yes, the problem is solved!

Solution:

1) Go download the latest firmware from the marantz support website: http://firmware.marantz.eu/
As a reminder, this firmware is only available to those who have purchased a unit in Europe.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
post #2539 of 4086 Old 06-28-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick343 View Post
Thanks for your reply mate. I found the problem. It was setup for 7.1 ch with zone 2. I changed it to 5.1 with zone 2/3 and it worked

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Maverick
Ah yes ... this would do it ... nice easy fix for you to.

--------

post #2540 of 4086 Old 07-01-2014, 10:04 AM

Quick question: I have a Marantz SR5008 that I have plugged into an APC line conditioner that does NOT have a master/slave outlet configuration. I want to control an AC outlet to switch on and off with the AVR to power a cooling fan. Can I just plug the AVR into a smart strip or master/slave power strip and then plug that into the APC? Does that cause problems with power, using cascading strips, could it introduce noise? Any other ideas?
post #2541 of 4086 Old 07-01-2014, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Another idea may be to use the USB port on the Marantz to determine if its on to toggle the fan.

For Sale: ISCO Cinema DLP 1.25x Anamorphic Lens for Sony 4K Projectors
Small 12' wide x 10' deep HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW DLP, Falcon AT Vision HD 2.35:1, Triad In-wall Gold Omni SE, In-wall Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Marantz SR7008, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #2542 of 4086 Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
i have a SR6008 connected to a HDMI monitor. I don't have a remote for the monitor and was wondering whether there is a way to turn off the HDMI output on the receiver so that when the output is turned off the monitor will go to standby. This will allow me to turn off the output to the monitor and won't have to manually press the power button on the monitor to turn off. this is helpful when i go to sleep and would rather use the remote to turn the hdmi output off rather then pressing the power button on the monitor.

is something like this possible?

thanks
post #2543 of 4086 Old 07-02-2014, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

^kevinf1990,

Have a look at a universal remote from the likes of Logitech. You can check if your monitor is supported and it's easy to set-up using the activities method.

The Harmony 650 can control up to 8 devices and it's much more friendly to use than most other remotes. You can get it at Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...ds=harmony+650

post #2544 of 4086 Old 07-02-2014, 02:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinf1990 View Post
i have a SR6008 connected to a HDMI monitor. I don't have a remote for the monitor and was wondering whether there is a way to turn off the HDMI output on the receiver so that when the output is turned off the monitor will go to standby. This will allow me to turn off the output to the monitor and won't have to manually press the power button on the monitor to turn off. this is helpful when i go to sleep and would rather use the remote to turn the hdmi output off rather then pressing the power button on the monitor.

thanks
Consider using a smart strip.

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Energy-S...0RRA0JJ8N52Q1Y

--------

post #2545 of 4086 Old 07-02-2014, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by garontee View Post
Quick question: I have a Marantz SR5008 that I have plugged into an APC line conditioner that does NOT have a master/slave outlet configuration. I want to control an AC outlet to switch on and off with the AVR to power a cooling fan. Can I just plug the AVR into a smart strip or master/slave power strip and then plug that into the APC? Does that cause problems with power, using cascading strips, could it introduce noise? Any other ideas?
Do you already have the cooling fan? If not, look at the fans from the ebay seller below. He has units that are powered by a variable voltage transformer but use the 12 volt trigger output on your 5008 to turn the fans on and off. He also has thermostat controls for turning the fans on as well. I have one of these setups on my 7008 and it works great.

http://stores.ebay.com/AV-Cabinet-Co...p2047675.l2563
post #2546 of 4086 Old 07-02-2014, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

thanks
Turn on the "HDMI control" feature and it should turn the TV on or off based on the AVR condition. Make sure the corresponding feature is enabled in the TV as well.

Last edited by rodneyiii; 07-02-2014 at 05:24 AM.
post #2547 of 4086 Old 07-02-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
hmm i don't think you guys are understanding my scenario. let's say I want to listen to radio or internet radio (audio only source) and I don't need to see the contents of the monitor. I want my monitor (not a TV) to go into standby without actually going to the monitor to manually press the power to turn off the power. if there is a setting that i can just turn off the hdmi output on the receiver it would cause the monitor to lose signal and go to standby while still being able to play audio source through the speakers. is this possible?

and is it normal for the receiver to run pretty warm to slightly hot when operating? the marantz seems to run hotter then a comparable yamaha aventage receiver i am comparing this receiver to. the receivers are sitting on a open end table with plenty of ventilation.

Last edited by kevinf1990; 07-02-2014 at 07:38 AM.
post #2548 of 4086 Old 07-02-2014, 07:39 AM

I've already listened to the demo from 5008.
Seriously, I ain't got nothing to say ...
Cause my jaw dropped while listening to it ...
post #2549 of 4086 Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
hmm i don't think you guys are understanding my scenario. let's say I want to listen to radio or internet radio (audio only source) and I don't need to see the contents of the monitor. I want my monitor (not a TV) to go into standby without actually going to the monitor to manually press the power to turn off the power. if there is a setting that i can just turn off the hdmi output on the receiver it would cause the monitor to lose signal and go to standby while still being able to play audio source through the speakers. is this possible?

and is it normal for the receiver to run pretty warm to slightly hot when operating? the marantz seems to run hotter then a comparable yamaha aventage receiver i am comparing this receiver to. the receivers are sitting on a open end table with plenty of ventilation.
Sorry, but no such setting.

--------

post #2550 of 4086 Old 07-02-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but no such setting.
thanks. then i guess i will just have to work around it. I really like the sound quality of the Marantz to exchange it.

what about the heat question? I know that it's normal for receivers to get hot/warm but not sure to what extent
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread