Solution to "low volume" for network sources bug
Only two months after buying a brand new Marantz SR5008, the volume for any of the network sources (DLNA, internet radio, etc.) dropped dramatically. Where previously normal levels of 20-40 were used, suddenly I had to crank it up to 60-80. Other sources like HDMI audio from the TV, analog CD player, etc. remained unchanged.
I tried doing a factory reset, power off for 30 minutes, a couple of more factory resets, but the problem remained.
Looking on the Internet, I discovered I was not the only one having this issue. Finally, I found the solution on a Denon related forum (the Denon's have the same issue), but as we all know the close relationship between the two, I applied the exact same solution to my Marantz and yes, the problem is solved!
1) Go download the latest firmware from the marantz support website: http://firmware.marantz.eu/
2) Follow the instructions to update the firmware through a USB dongle (I previously already did a network firmware update, but this didn't fix the problem - and there has to be an update to do this
3) Don't forget to do a cpu reset by pressing Channel+ and Channel- while powering on the device (is also part of the instructions).
The whole process took about 45 minutes, but it saved me a trip to the shop, wait 3 weeks for Marantz service to do this, go back to the shop, re-install all my wires and cables, etc.
I have only discovered this yesterday, so I do not know whether the bug is actually fixed in the firmware, or that the whole updating process truly resets the whole receiver in way that the normal factory reset does not. The firmware release notes do not state anything related to this particular bug...
It would be very helpful to know exactly why the receiver suddenly drops its volume for network sources in order to avoid the problem (assuming that the firmware does not already fixes it).
Hopefully this will help other people with the same issue...